GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
KM has lied too extensively at this point to be helpful as a witness, IMO. Would she have access to documents or other evidence that would be helpful? My guess is she does not. Do her lawyers have access to these materials, being held on her behalf? So, not sure what she has to offer. Did anyone else recall the references by Georgia to What’s App while Wendi was on the stand? They may have data from that, via the phone, that show who Wendi was contacting around the time of the murder.
I’m guessing as well that Katherine DOES NOT have access to anything (documents,including financial) that would be helpful. She doesn’t strike me as someone who keeps records, and according to her 5 hour testimony— she can’t remember diddly squat! I don’t think she ever considered once that she’d ever be implicated in Dan’s murder. I don’t think it ever even crossed her mind - until it happened. Now she’s going to stick with “I’m innocent” till the day she dies. If she hasn’t made a deal now - I don’t think she’s ever going to. I hope I’m wrong.

Based on everything introduced into evidence from the two trials so far, I would seriously worry about Wendi winning a motion to dismiss based on insufficient evidence of a crime. That would change if Katie testimony that Wendi knew the hit was underway (even if it is simply a verbal allegation). Even if the prosecution believes Katie's testimony would be shredded at trial, it would still be sufficient to overcome a motion to dismiss and I believe the number one objective for the state is to have all three Adelsons as defendants in a single trial. That is why I believe Katie may be very useful in spite of her being damaged goods as a witness.

Re WhatsApp --

1. Katie:

"Call K and Call L were next. In these, Charlie and Magbanua discuss meeting at the Icon where his parents lived, but ultimately met further north. Charlie tells Magbanua he had been talking with his parents, and Magbanua mentions calling him on WhatsApp.

“We’re not able to obtain the WhatsApp calls,” Sanford says. Katie’s words, however, disprove a prior defense claim that Magbanua never used WhatsApp."

2. Wendi: see 1:16:30

Last edited:
Im not a lawyer but I don’t think Wendi or Donna will be indicted unless there’s some evidence that they contributed to the money that went to Garcia/Rivera. I think there has to be a link between them and payment for them to be indicted as co-conspirators. Otherwise they’re just exercising their first amendment rights. Or they knew the plan and didn’t stop it, which isn’t a crime. JMO

I also can’t imagine Charlie turning on his mother and sister. I think the chain ends with him. As far as who is indictable.

Yes, claiming back injury or something, right?
This is the first I’ve heard of this! Not sure why Kawass even brought it up on social media because it has no relevance to KM’s predicament. She also took a lot of unprofessional jabs at the prosecution that were uncalled for. After reading her IG - I’m convinced that woman truly believes her client is innocent and that the government framed her. I also feel like her posts were out there to try to influence potential jurors.

Im not a lawyer but I don’t think Wendi or Donna will be indicted unless there’s some evidence that they contributed to the money that went to Garcia/Rivera. I think there has to be a link between them and payment for them to be indicted as co-conspirators. Otherwise they’re just exercising their first amendment rights. Or they knew the plan and didn’t stop it, which isn’t a crime. JMO

I also can’t imagine Charlie turning on his mother and sister. I think the chain ends with him. As far as who is indictable.
There is more than sufficient circumstantial evidence to indict and convict both of them. We have sufficient evidence that Charlie kept large amounts of cash and we have evidence of his making payments to Katie. We have his mother admitting the blackmail "involves both of us" and she says "this TV will be $5,000." This is one of the better documented conspiracies I'm aware of and we have three principals convicted now. All that is necessary is proof that Donna and Charlie were involved in the conspiracy and, of course, they are heavily inculpated by the motive and the testimony that Charlie had investigated a hitman a few weeks prior to this successful hit.

There is more than sufficient circumstantial evidence to indict and convict both of them. We have sufficient evidence that Charlie kept large amounts of cash and we have evidence of his making payments to Katie. We have his mother admitting the blackmail "involves both of us" and she says "this TV will be $5,000." This is one of the better documented conspiracies I'm aware of and we have three principals convicted now. All that is necessary is proof that Donna and Charlie were involved in the conspiracy and, of course, they are heavily inculpated by the motive and the testimony that Charlie had investigated a hitman a few weeks prior to this successful hit.
Hm I’ve watched a few trials involving attempted or completed murder for hire conspiracies and my understanding is it’s not a crime to just talk about doing it. There has to be an exchange of money. A hire. That’s what makes it a conspiracy. In this case Charlie is the only one holding the bag of money. He gave it to KM who gave it to SG and LR. That’s why all 4 are indictable and 3 convicted. If Donna was indictable she’d be in there with CA.

OMG Kawass and Decoste’s IG posts are so corny! They sound so juvenile. Wth!! I don’t think Kawass necessarily believes KM is innocent. I think nowadays injustice messaging is trending and these lawyers just use it to market themselves.

I also feel like Kawass and the other female co-counsel perhaps didn’t do a good job of maintaining professional boundaries with KM. There’s something chaotic and silly about the way they and KM were behaving towards each other in court. And then the bawling at the end.

Hm I’ve watched a few trials involving attempted or completed murder for hire conspiracies and my understanding is it’s not a crime to just talk about doing it. There has to be an exchange of money. A hire. That’s what makes it a conspiracy. In this case Charlie is the only one holding the bag of money. He gave it to KM who gave it to SG and LR. That’s why all 4 are indictable and 3 convicted. If Donna was indictable she’d be in there with CA.
You said "There has to be an exchange of money. A hire. " I agree. You aren't suggesting there was NOT an exchange of money and a hire here are you? Somebody hired and somebody paid. The evidence STRONGLY implicates Charlie and Donna in both circumstantial and direct ways.

Let me try to have you look at it another way. Do you believe there is proof that money was exchanged to hire Garcia and Rivera? Did Rivera say the purpose of the hit was to benefit the Adelsons? Does the evidence support proof that Katie dumped her kids and spent the night with Charlie then drove to Rivera's with a bundle of cash? Didn't Jessica confirm that along with Rivera as well as the phone location pings? Does the evidence support that the money was stapled? Does the evidence support that Charlie stapled $100 bills into $1000 stacks just as the payoff money was described? Isn't there a ton of evidence suggesting consciousness of guilt by both Donna and Charlie? Did the evidence of an impartial witness support that Wendi admitted Charlie investigated hiring a hit man and found it would cost either $15,000 or $50,000?

You seem to think there must be direct proof of specific money changing hands. I guarantee you all 12 jurors understood that Charlie paid for this hit and I can't imagine anyone thinking the same evidence wouldn't support a conviction of Charlie. Here's the definition of conspiracy under Florida law:

"A person who agrees, conspires, combines, or confederates with another person or persons to commit any offense commits the offense of criminal conspiracy."

In my opinion there is absolutely no question that there is more than sufficient evidence to convict both Donna and Charlie under this statute. Could they get off? Possibly. But that isn't the issue. The question is will a jury be allowed to consider the crime and I say YES against both emphatically. Georgia also clearly agrees and intends to make more arrests according to her statement yesterday.

Last edited:
Charles J. Adelson v. Berskshire Life Ins. Co. of America
Complaint filed Dec 30, 2020.
(I can't access documents in the docket because I don't have a paid account for online federal court access).

This is the first I’ve heard of this! Not sure why Kawass even brought it up on social media because it has no relevance to KM’s predicament. She also took a lot of unprofessional jabs at the prosecution that were uncalled for. After reading her IG - I’m convinced that woman truly believes her client is innocent and that the government framed her. I also feel like her posts were out there to try to influence potential jurors.
She really argued for her on social media. She did her best for Katie absolutely. It’s way too many coincidences for me but she got the best defence she could I believe.

You said "There has to be an exchange of money. A hire. " I agree. You aren't suggesting there was NOT an exchange of money and a hire here are you? Somebody hired and somebody paid. The evidence STRONGLY implicates Charlie and Donna in both circumstantial and direct ways.

Let me try to have you look at it another way. Do you believe there is proof that money was exchanged to hire Garcia and Rivera? Did Rivera say the purpose of the hit was to benefit the Adelsons? Does the evidence support proof that Katie dumped her kids and spent the night with Charlie then drove to Rivera's with a bundle of cash? Didn't Jessica confirm that along with Rivera as well as the phone location pings? Does the evidence support that the money was stapled? Does the evidence support that Charlie stapled $100 bills into $1000 stacks just as the payoff money was described? Isn't there a ton of evidence suggesting consciousness of guilt by both Donna and Charlie? Did the evidence of an impartial witness support that Wendi admitted Charlie investigated hiring a hit man and found it would cost either $15,000 or $50,000?

You seem to think there must be direct proof of specific money changing hands. I guarantee you all 12 jurors understood that Charlie paid for this hit and I can't imagine anyone thinking the same evidence wouldn't support a conviction of Charlie. Here's the definition of conspiracy under Florida law:

"A person who agrees, conspires, combines, or confederates with another person or persons to commit any offense commits the offense of criminal conspiracy."

In my opinion there is absolutely no question that there is more than sufficient evidence to convict both Donna and Charlie under this statute. Could they get off? Possibly. But that isn't the issue. The question is will a jury be allowed to consider the crime and I say YES against both emphatically. Georgia also clearly agrees and intends to make more arrests according to her statement yesterday.
I think the State wants to see if it can get more evidence, just like they waited to arrest CA. I can certainly see the State wanting to try all 3 together though. JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members