GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Katie’s SIL, Samantha, embezzled money for Katie’s defense. she was arrested for it. I remember years ago Decoste stating payment was coming from Katie’s family

Katherine Magbanua's lawyers deny any connection between who's paying her legal fees and the embezzlement charges against her sister-in-law.

“I can understand the due diligence and doing the investigation, but their suspicions are once again going to be wrong,” said Christopher DeCoste. “This utter fixation on who is paying the legal fees lets me know how desperate they are right now.”

Nothing would please me more than to have Katie sing. I hope she finally wakes up and realizes this is her last chance for any hope of redemption or relief. Once the judge imposes a life sentence she is done. Think about that. In Florida there are only two options for Murder 1: DEATH or LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE. Now that she's been convicted I'm not even sure what the state could offer her given the mandatory sentencing requirements.

i'm thinking the State could offer her a prison cell in South Florida so she could be near her kids and family as opposed to somewhere way up north.

i'm thinking the State could offer her a prison cell in South Florida so she could be near her kids and family as opposed to somewhere way up north.
Good point. When you know you are going to die in prison that would mean a lot, I guess. As a parent, I cannot imagine how she is able to deal with the fact that she could have been free.

IMO WA's testimony set the stage for the whole thing -- motive, the family dynamics, the day of the murder.... a real life Adelson for the jury to see. The use immunity was automatic -- it's the only way she would testify (not plead the 5th). The State can still charge WA if it chooses to and has sufficient evidence. I don't think the State lost anything at all in calling her. JMO.

I agree 100%. I think it helps to see one of the masterminds in all her evil flesh.

It doesn't matter now i suppose, but one thing that bothered me a great deal about DM's murder, is that he was shot in the face.
The thing i have always wanted to know and i do not think it was ever raised on thread or in court for that matter, but why shoot a man in the face as opposed to say the back of the head or side of his temple?
Maybe it was just ''easier'' OR was it an order to shoot him in the face?
imo.

It doesn't matter now i suppose, but one thing that bothered me a great deal about DM's murder, is that he was shot in the face.
The thing i have always wanted to know and i do not think it was ever raised on thread or in court for that matter, but why shoot a man in the face as opposed to say the back of the head or side of his temple?
imo.
Seems like mainly a function of them confronted him sitting in his car so he was facing the gunman looking down the barrel of the gun.

imo.

"They even shot Tommy in the face so his mother couldn't give him an open coffin at the funeral." - Henry Hill (Ray Liotta - RIP) - Goodfellas

The following about WA bears repeating as we go into CA and then WA's trials:

"Perplexingly, Wendi also had difficulty recounting the money that she herself came into following Markel’s murder. When asked by Cappleman if she had benefited financially from her ex-husband’s death, Wendi emphatically denied it.

That led Cappleman to read off a list of assets that Wendi had either inherited or would gain access to for the benefit of their children following his death: $1 million per child summing $2 million in life insurance; a 401(k); a significant pension; a deferred compensation fund valued at $217,000; social security survivor benefits for the children totaling $4,800 per month; an IRA worth $100,000; and a checking account with $15,000 in it.

Perhaps this is what Charlie was referring to in a wiretap with Donna, complaining that Wendi had essentially “won the Lottery” and didn’t have to work for the many millions she had in the bank."

By arresting Charlie, the state has irrevocably set into motion a trial now. There are no more arguments about waiting and the need to gather all the evidence. There IS enough evidence to charge Donna and no reason I can discern that would justify NOT charging her now. Moreover, it would serve the public and remove the risk of flight to get her incarcerated now. Can anyone give me any argument as to why we aren't going to see at least Donna in prison garb soon?

By arresting Charlie, the state has irrevocably set into motion a trial now. There are no more arguments about waiting and the need to gather all the evidence. There IS enough evidence to charge Donna and no reason I can discern that would justify NOT charging her now. Moreover, it would serve the public and remove the risk of flight to get her incarcerated now. Can anyone give me any argument as to why we aren't going to see at least Donna in prison garb soon?
Not saying it's a great possibility but... maybe the State is hoping to cut a deal with CA (i.e., no death penalty) wherein he provides evidence against DA and WA. JMO.

Not saying it's a great possibility but... maybe the State is hoping to cut a deal with CA (i.e., no death penalty) wherein he provides evidence against DA and WA. JMO.
They could still do that with Donna and Wendi behind bars, right?

Maybe there's some CYS (Children and Youth Services) work being done behind the scenes to ensure the boys have a place to go that's agreeable to Mr. and Mrs. Markel before the arrests are made. I expect arrests very, very soon. I feel confident all of the Adelsons (except Robert) are on a no-fly list.

I can't fathom him implicating his family members for a deal. He will want to protect them. More like he might plead guilty in order for mom to only get probation, or something like that?

Years ago, I remember watching the 20/20 episode where Ms. Cappelman said she didn’t have enough evidence to bring in the Adelson family. Things have obviously changed in that the Dolce tape has been enhanced, and that you could clearly make out that Charlie was discussing, in code, the murder and the possibility of being caught. That enhanced tape was why Charlie’s arrest was made possible . I’m not sure how much more evidence they have on Donna and Wendi, but Garcia’s attorney in that above interview I posted from years back - he said detectives have been monitoring Donna and Wendi 24/7 - so much so that they don’t even try to hide from the Adelson’s anymore. For all we know a Grand Jury could be convening in the next coming weeks since KM has been found guilty of all 3 charges. Let’s hope!! But honestly, I’m still on the fence whether or not The State feels they have enough to charge and convict Donna and Wendi. Am I right that all we’ve seen are the nasty emails between them about Dan, and the back and forth calls to each other? Is this enough to charge them also ? I hope, but it hasn’t happened thus far, but maybe with KM’s conviction, and Charlie’s arrest it bolsters the States case. Crossing my fingers.

Edited to add: I don’t believe Charlie will roll over for Donna or Wendi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member