FL FL - Daytona Beach, HispFemale, 15-24, UP724, found off I-95, stabbed, poss. Gerald Stano victim, red t-shirt reading "Do it in the dirt," Nov '80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
NamUs #UP724 / Doe Network 382UFFL

Demographics
Sex: Female
Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic / Latino, Uncertain - Possibly biracial
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 15-24
Estimated Year of Death: 1980
Estimated PMI: N/A
Height: 5'9" (69 inches), Estimated (News reports say 5'6" to 5'8")
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Cause of Death: Homicide by stabbing

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: November 5, 1980
NamUs Case Created: November 19, 2007
ME/C QA Reviewed: December 29, 2015
Location Found: Daytona Beach, Florida
County: Volusia County
Circumstances of Recovery:
Florida Department of Transportation workers found the victim's skeletal remains in the wooded median strip of I-95, 4.5 miles north of the Volusia/Brevard County line.

Serial killer, Gerald Eugene Stano confessed to her murder. He told investigators the woman was a prostitute he met on Main Street in 1978 or 1979. He said he choked her to death and took her to the wooded area. Years later, he remembered the slogan on her shirt, "Do it in the dirt," an advertising slogan for a motorcycle manufacturer. No charges were filed in accordance with a plea agreement.

Stano confessed to killing 41 women, mostly in Florida and New Jersey. He was executed in 1998 by the state of Florida.
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Physical Description
Hair Color: Unknown - News reports say light brown or blonde
Head Hair Description: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: No information entered

Clothing and Accessories
- Red t-shirt with iron-on patch stating, "Do it in the dirt," depicting a matador fighting a bull and another patch on the lower left corner reading "Rats Hole," a t-shirt shop in Daytona Beach (On the Body)
- Red shorts with blue trim (On the Body)
- Green plastic clogs, size 8 (On the Body)
- White handkerchief and .27 cents in change

News Coverage
"Police trying to identify body," Orlando Sentinel, 12 November 1980, DB2.
Police trying to identify body_.jpg
The Volusia County Sheriff's Department and the Medical Examiner's office say they know little about a body found off Interstate 95 last week except that it is that of a young woman.

The woman was between the ages of 18 and 23, had light brown or blond hair and was between 5 feet 6 and 5 feet 8 inches tall, a sheriff's department spokesman said.

The skeletal remains were found by a state road department worker in the woods off the highway, about a mile north of Taylor Road, Nov. 5. Initial reports indicated the body could have been that of a female child.

[...]

Clothing found with the body included red shorts trimmed in blue, a red T-shirt with an iron-on patch stating, "Do it in the dirt," depicting a matador fighting a bull. Another patch, on the lower left corner of the shirt, said "Rats Hole," a Daytona Beach T-shirt store. A pair of green plastic clogs, size 8, were also found with the body.

Stano said he choked her but they determined she was stabbed. There would be bone damage from stabbing and one would think it would be obvious if so. Did Stano normally choke AND stab his victims, or did he only choke them? (I haven't researched him) It makes me question whether he was really the one who killed her. As in, maybe he did choke her but she didn't die from that. Another perp possibly? Hmmm.

Stano said he choked her but they determined she was stabbed. There would be bone damage from stabbing and one would think it would be obvious if so. Did Stano normally choke AND stab his victims, or did he only choke them? (I haven't researched him) It makes me question whether he was really the one who killed her. As in, maybe he did choke her but she didn't die from that. Another perp possibly? Hmmm.
According to his Wikipedia page, Stano basically killed his victims in any way possible: strangulation, blunt force trauma, stabbing, shooting, and even one drowning.

According to Doe Network Stano remembered the slogan on her shirt, "Do it in the dirt," so they believe she was one of his victims.

According to his Wikipedia page, Stano basically killed his victims in any way possible: strangulation, blunt force trauma, stabbing, shooting, and even one drowning.
Ok so he didn’t say he stabbed her but he probably did. Hard for a serial killer to remember all his victims. Gee. What problem. Sick jerk.

According to Doe Network Stano remembered the slogan on her shirt, "Do it in the dirt," so they believe she was one of his victims.
Yeah when I read that, I knew he implicated himself. If she gave him a name it probably wasn’t real anyway. Poor girl. Genetic genealogy needs to be done. She deserves to be back with her family.

Looking at her sketch compared to her updated photo, the sketch has a square jaw. The photo doesn’t have a square jaw, more long and narrow.

Attachments

• 96C7F0DE-9F5C-4AF1-ACD6-369FAF8589A1.jpeg
    96C7F0DE-9F5C-4AF1-ACD6-369FAF8589A1.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
1679403080731.png1679403087026.png

Yeah when I read that, I knew he implicated himself. If she gave him a name it probably wasn’t real anyway. Poor girl. Genetic genealogy needs to be done. She deserves to be back with her family.
We have completed the F/IGG investigation on this young woman and will be announcing her identity in the near future.

Looking at her sketch compared to her updated photo, the sketch has a square jaw. The photo doesn’t have a square jaw, more long and narrow.
Yes, the sketch is not as accurate as the NCMEC portrait. The NCMEC artist got her chin, nose, and eyes spot on. There are several things about the original speculative profile that were not ultra accurate but the data was compiled decades ago and we have better tools today. Stand by for her story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back