FL FL - Daytona, WhtMale 2128UMFL, 11-21, near pond, denim jacket, May'72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Facebook page Volusia County John Doe 1972 Florida

I think this recon might be one of the best out there. It's made by Joe Mullins. I think he is really a talented artist.

152232701_136723594966654_4127619668282288110_n.jpg

What an excellent job. 3-D sure gives more expression and dimension to his face.

I know it’s very far from the original sketch which to me made him look like he had a receding hairline .

I also wonder if his sketch looked different he would of been identified by now ?

I wonder if they ever had any postmortems?

Attachments

• 4CF9DFA5-88CD-409D-BA69-7420DE881F29.png
    4CF9DFA5-88CD-409D-BA69-7420DE881F29.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 29
I saw a Cold Case File episode on serial killer John Rodney Macrae. He was just released from prison in Feb 1972 in Michigan. He eventually moved to Florida in 1976 and is believed to have killed several boys while there. After a over 20 year stay in prison could he have vacationed briefly in Florida? This doe fits his victim's age range, profile, and also stabbing is consistent with his known killings. He particularly looks similar to Kip Hess (missing 1979 FL) and Randy Laufer (missing 1987 MI; found deceased 1997).

Last edited:
I saw a Cold Case File episode on serial killer John Rodney Macrae. He was just released from prison in Feb 1972 in Michigan. He eventually moved to Florida in 1976 and is believed to have killed several boys while there. After a over 20 year stay in prison could he have vacationed briefly in Florida? This doe fits his victim's age range, profile, and also stabbing is consistent with his known killings. He particularly looks similar to Kip Hess (missing 1979 FL) and Randy Laufer (missing 1987 MI; found deceased 1997).

He was freed Feb. 2, 1972. McRae had an exemplary record in prison and was thought unlikely to be the menace he had been as a teenager. At the time, the Houseys were unaware he was let out.

Three years later, McRae -- now with a wife and son, Martin -- finished parole and moved to Florida where he became a prison guard. By some accounts, he hid his record; others maintain he was hired under a Florida program to employ rehabilitated ex-cons. He later transferred to a youthful offenders facility in Brevard County on the Atlantic coast.

John Rodney McRae | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

I would love to know if he took any trips to Florida in Nov 1972. The job he got at the youth facility was in Brevard county. Brevard county is not to far from where the bike that was found with the kid was stolen from.

Someone on the FB page posted this guy. I had never seen this guy before so I thought I would post him here.

Ralph Hampton Miller
  • miller_ralph.jpg
  • miller_ralph2.jpg
Miller, circa 1970

• Missing Since09/19/1970
  • Missing FromLakeland, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth02/12/1953 (68)
  • Age17 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5 - 5'10, 130 - 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Ralph was last seen at his home on Route 3 in Lakeland, Florida on September 19, 1970. His mother stated she saw him in bed as she left for work that day. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency

Someone on the FB page posted this guy. I had never seen this guy before so I thought I would post him here.

Ralph Hampton Miller
  • miller_ralph.jpg
  • miller_ralph2.jpg
Miller, circa 1970
  • Missing Since09/19/1970
  • Missing FromLakeland, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth02/12/1953 (68)
  • Age17 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5 - 5'10, 130 - 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Ralph was last seen at his home on Route 3 in Lakeland, Florida on September 19, 1970. His mother stated she saw him in bed as she left for work that day. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
Ralph's thread is here:

FL - FL - Ralph Hampton Miller, 17, Lakeland, Sept 19, 1970

I think he was killed by the older brother or father of the kid he took the bike from. And yes I believe he stole the bike. For whatever reason… most likely a troubled youth.

Last edited:
Just my two cents but I don't think he was killed by the bike owner/relative. Besides the fact it was left behind, the manner of death (stabbed in the abdomen, pants down around ankles) suggests a sexual motive. It kind of reminds me of Larry Eyler's murders.

Looking through NAMUS on this one, there's obviously not much and most of the missing can be ruled out pretty easily. The closest to a match is probably Thomas Meuse, but a few things go against it:

1. Isotope analysis apparently suggests John Doe grew up in Florida. Not sure if this is confirmed though?
2. Meuse would've already been 15 ½ by May '72, albeit age range(s) can be wrong and have already been wrong on this particular case. It would be interesting to know the confidence interval on 'age 11-14'.
3. Meuse had a notable eyebrow scar, but perhaps with decomposition it wouldn't be apparent.
4. Eye color isn't known for the John Doe, although one source suggests brown was most likely; Meuse had blue eyes.

Taken together, I tend to think it's not him. Plus I notice several years ago he was apparently submitted, though there's no follow-up on that.

I think John Doe stole the bicycle. It's too much of a coincidence for the bike to be stolen on May 3rd, then be found with him in this pretty random spot over 20 miles away, with John Doe likely dying that same day.

Since it looks like a road bike, I doubt he's made the trip to that particular part of Daytona Beach. Perhaps he went towards/into DB itself, but hitched a ride in a pickup or van at some point. I suppose the child prostitution angle could unfortunately be true given the shaving, but I also wonder if there was a more innocent explanation or if something like that could've happened in a detention facility/juvenile home etc. Prostitution would explain $6, but it's not a huge amount & maybe he just got it selling bikes or painting fences.

I really like the idea from madamx about the Florida Sheriff Boys Ranch though, I can imagine a kid being at a place like that and slipping through the cracks.

Just my two cents but I don't think he was killed by the bike owner/relative. Besides the fact it was left behind, the manner of death (stabbed in the abdomen, pants down around ankles) suggests a sexual motive. It kind of reminds me of Larry Eyler's murders.

Looking through NAMUS on this one, there's obviously not much and most of the missing can be ruled out pretty easily. The closest to a match is probably Thomas Meuse, but a few things go against it:

1. Isotope analysis apparently suggests John Doe grew up in Florida. Not sure if this is confirmed though?
2. Meuse would've already been 15 ½ by May '72, albeit age range(s) can be wrong and have already been wrong on this particular case. It would be interesting to know the confidence interval on 'age 11-14'.
3. Meuse had a notable eyebrow scar, but perhaps with decomposition it wouldn't be apparent.
4. Eye color isn't known for the John Doe, although one source suggests brown was most likely; Meuse had blue eyes.

Taken together, I tend to think it's not him. Plus I notice several years ago he was apparently submitted, though there's no follow-up on that.

I think John Doe stole the bicycle. It's too much of a coincidence for the bike to be stolen on May 3rd, then be found with him in this pretty random spot over 20 miles away, with John Doe likely dying that same day.

Since it looks like a road bike, I doubt he's made the trip to that particular part of Daytona Beach. Perhaps he went towards/into DB itself, but hitched a ride in a pickup or van at some point. I suppose the child prostitution angle could unfortunately be true given the shaving, but I also wonder if there was a more innocent explanation or if something like that could've happened in a detention facility/juvenile home etc. Prostitution would explain $6, but it's not a huge amount & maybe he just got it selling bikes or painting fences.

I really like the idea from madamx about the Florida Sheriff Boys Ranch though, I can imagine a kid being at a place like that and slipping through the cracks.

For convenience Thomas Meuse's missing files....there are more, but just to get an impression.
Thomas Allen Meuse – The Charley Project
Missing: Meuse, Thomas A.
Have you seen this child? Thomas Meuse

I agree with you...sexually motivated, with or without consent....seems non-c to me, considering the place he was found....but that's a question. Runaway from a boys institution? Totally possible. I hope Othram or others do pick up this case together with LE. It would be wonderful he can be identified after all these years....My gut feeling says...his background story is not going to be nice/peaceful.

For convenience Thomas Meuse's missing files....there are more, but just to get an impression.
Thomas Allen Meuse – The Charley Project
Missing: Meuse, Thomas A.
Have you seen this child? Thomas Meuse

I agree with you...sexually motivated, with or without consent....seems non-c to me, considering the place he was found....but that's a question. Runaway from a boys institution? Totally possible. I hope Othram or others do pick up this case together with LE. It would be wonderful he can be identified after all these years....My gut feeling says...his background story is not going to be nice/peaceful.

Yeah I did have a quick look at the Meuse case. Something else that caught my eye was this phrase from a 2013 interview where his aunt mentions his mother:

""I think whatever she knew or didn't know, she took with her to the grave," said Peeney. "She never had any fear of what happened to him, and when we questioned her, she was very evasive."​

I read that as the aunt suspecting her sister's involvement - not usually something you'd say lightly. Maybe she thinks the stepfather had something to do with it, I'm not sure.

As for this John Doe... it seems like there's continual incremental progress with getting useable DNA these days. Hopefully it'll soon improve to the point where a lab can do something on this case too.

I did have another theory but it’s unlikely given that the doe network mentioned that he was only killed days prior to being found.

the Daytona international speedway is not far from where his body was found. I was thinking he could have attended the Daytona 500. But the Daytona 500 is in February And this boy was a estimated to have been killed much later

Also wouldn’t explain why the bike was there either. Now Daytona 500 does have concession stands. So that would explain maybe why he had the wallet if he was going to buy something, but this theory is probably unlikely,

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020