GUILTY FL - Denise Lee, 21, raped & murdered, North Port, 17 Jan 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.heraldtribune.com/ front page 9/26/08

Pain turns into action

By John Davis

Published: Friday, September 26, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

A vigil Thursday at the Sarasota courthouse drew families of murder victims and others.

Nathan Lee was among about a dozen people who spoke at a candlelight vigil that was part of the National Day of Remembrance for Murder Victims.

"I never enjoy going to these things, never thought I'd have to go to something like this," Lee said before the event, which was held on the steps of the courthouse in downtown Sarasota.

"My family received an enormous amount of support, financial and emotional, and I know that's not always the case when a family loses someone through murder."

Denise Lee's abduction and murder in January drew national attention and an outpouring of support for the family. Now Lee and other family members are hoping to take advantage of the attention by shining a light on two issues dear to them: problems with the 911 emergency call system and the service provided by victim advocates.

"I wanted to take advantage of the platform that I have," Lee said. "One of the first things my family thought of is we need to do something to help give back. That's what Denise would do."

The nonprofit Denise Amber Lee foundation was started with $15,000 from the family and falls under the umbrella of the Gulf Coast Community Foundation of Venice.

Denise Lee, 21, was taken from her North Port home on Jan. 17, touching off a massive, multi-agency search that ultimately failed to save Lee, the daughter of a Charlotte County Sheriff's sergeant. Michael King is charged with her murder.

A woman said she saw Denise Lee in King's car and called 911, but the call was mishandled by the Charlotte County 911 center and the information never made it to deputies on the scene.

Lee says that the mishandled call cost Denise her life and he has informed Charlotte County of his intent to bring a wrongful death lawsuit.

The dropped call has garnered national media attention and led to a state law forming voluntary statewide training standards for people who work in emergency communications centers.

The foundation wants more changes.

"The pipe dream is to have a full-fledged 911 training center in North Port," said David Garofalo, a member of the foundation's recently formed board of directors.

The foundation also wants to help the families of victims of violent crimes, filling a similar role as the Sarasota Sheriff's Office victim assistance program, a program that is in jeopardy of ending due to budget cuts.

The value of the program was a running theme at Thursday's ceremony, with virtually every speaker, including Lee, saying a victim's advocate had helped them through enormously difficult times.

"The victim's assistance program helped my family a lot through everything," Lee said.

Lee also talked about his wife, his voice choking with emotion.

"Denise was the happiest, most amazing person I've ever met, and I was blessed," he said.

"Even though it was only four years, I was blessed."

The specific direction and plans the Denise Amber Lee Foundation will pursue are still being worked out, but fundraisers have been scheduled for Saturday and Oct. 18.

The money collected will go to the foundation and not the Lee family.

More information about the foundation is available on the Web at www.deniseamberlee.org.

Staff writer Cathy Zollo and SNN News 6 contributed to this report.

sarasota herald tribune

Grieving husband confronts offical

By John Davis

Published: Friday, October 3, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, October 3, 2008 at 12:41 a.m.

Eight months after his wife's murder, Nathan Lee is still looking for all of the people responsible for the mishandled 911 call that he says contributed to Denise Lee's death.
HERALD-TRIBUNE ARCHIVE / THOMAS BENDER / 2008
Order photo
Nathan Lee, here speaking last month to a group who lost loved ones to murder, is taking his calls for an investigation into his wife's murder to the highest officials in the state.

His questions have not been answered, even as he takes them to the state's most powerful leaders.

When Attorney General Bill McCollum came to Sarasota County on Thursday to help political allies campaign, he was also forced to contend with a grieving husband who says his calls for an investigation into the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office have been ignored.

"It's frustrating me that nobody has wanted to look at it any deeper," Lee said about efforts to get the state to investigate the Sheriff's Office and how it handled the realization that a witness could have been ignored on the night Denise Lee was murdered.

On Jan. 17, Denise Lee, a 21-year-old stay-at-home mom, was abducted from her North Port home, touching off a massive, multi-agency search that ultimately failed to save her.

Michael King, 37, North Port, is charged with her murder.

A woman said she heard screams coming from a car and called 911, but the call was mishandled by the Charlotte County 911 center and the information never made it to deputies who were nearby searching for Denise Lee.

The dropped call has garnered national media attention and led to a state law forming voluntary statewide training standards for people who work in emergency communications centers. But Nathan Lee says many questions remain.

An internal investigation by the Sheriff's Office that was reviewed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement found problems with Charlotte County's call center, suspending two workers and ordering more training. But Nathan Lee still wants to know details about what the agency did when the mistakes first came to light.

The Charlotte Sheriff's Office never told North Port police, the lead investigators in the case, about the dropped call, and only found out about it after the witness, Jane Kowalski of Tampa, called North Port directly.

Lee asked McCollum why his office would not look into the matter Thursday. McCollum said he did not have the authority.

"The attorney general does not have investigation authority, public corruption authority at all in our state," McCollum said. "In some state's they do."

According to McCollum, deciding whether the Sheriff's office should be investigated by an outside agency falls to Gov. Crist.

Frustrated that the governor has not responded to any of his requests for help, Lee planned to confront Crist Thursday at a political rally in Venice that the governor was scheduled to attend. But Crist skipped the event at the last minute.

"I'm getting really tired," Lee said. "I've given the system a chance and the governor has not responded. I just wish he would give me the opportunity to meet him and explain my problem."

Staff writer Zac Anderson contributed to this report.

Can you even believe this $hit????? The Gov decides not to come at the last minute....think maybe he heard that this grieving husband wants to speak to him? What is wrong with these people? Gov's get elected...I wonder if this Gov wants to be re-elected or not?

If I were the husband I would hit the TV shows and the newspapers and tell my story there. Maybe that will force the gov to act like a man and face this husband. I don't blame the husband for wanting answers to his questions. How is he supposed to go on with his life if his questions aren't answered so that he will have some peace.

Maybe a nice big law suit would open someone's eyes. They wouldn't be able to ignore that. They screwed up big time and Denise died as a result. These bigwigs owe the husband the courtesy of at least meeting with him and talking to him.....COWARDS.

This was written by Peggy Lee
you can find it on a mom and her blog

October 19, 2008 - Sunday
The Charlotte County 911 center
Current mood: angry
There are so many things that went wrong that night. I’m learning more and more. If people only knew that this isn’t just about Jane Kowalski’s 911 call. Even if we take Jane’s call out of the picture there was gross mismanagement and negligence that night, in my opinion. What I’m about to share is all in public record. It just needs to be requested from the sheriff’s department. What you want to ask for is the Internal Affairs Investigation Case Number 08-01-003. This is going to appall you but you’ll get a better idea of how we need to change things in our 911 call center, especially here in Charlotte County.
Let me begin by saying we believe the CCSO was definitely trying to cover things up. And we have good reason. Some of those details will come out in Nathan’s civil suit and I’ll leave that up to him to share.
But, I can get the other stuff out. Here goes:
1.) The teletype operator went home early on January 17, 2008. According to testimony this is the usual practice of the sheriff’s office so as not to allow them to go over 40 hours. They do this all the time so as not to have to pay over time. It’s usual practice that when a teletype operator goes home early, the two dispatchers are to monitor the teletype machine every 5 - 10 minutes. One of the dispatchers testified she did this. But it’s difficult to believe because several BOLOs (Be On the Look Outs) came over the teletype machine starting around 5:00 PM. The teletype operator went home at 3:30 PM. When the first BOLO came over the teletype at 4:59, it was not responded to until 5:38. That’s 40 minutes folks. And we even question that considering it’s not in the CAD report (Computer Aided Dispatch). And because deputies in the field and at Nathan and Denise’s home weren’t aware of it. In the first BOLO there was information on Denise, the green Camaro seen in her driveway and a description of a suspicious individual (pudgy white male, 30 -40 years old). According to the testimony of the deputies they didn’t know there was a green Camaro involved, and “didn’t think there were any real leads” even as late as 6:45PM. That’s an hour and 45 minutes. Another BOLO came over from North Port at 5:58. This BOLO was completely ignored. Another BOLO at 6:46 was also completely ignored. Interestingly, the teletype operator who came on duty testified that when she came in at 6:45PM the machine “was down” because “the operator musta gone home early”.
The CCSO did send out a BOLO at 6:36PM at the request of Sgt Davis who was with Rick (Denise’s father) out at the house. They had just finished listening to Denise’s frantic 911 call to Sarasota County.
Our question to the CCSO is some one needs to take responsibility for making a decision that we don’t need a teletype operator 24/7 to save money. Davenport and Cameron are making plenty of money. Why can’t we have a teletype operator 24/7? How much did we save that day by sending the operator home 3 hours early? Why didn’t someone call the teletype operator back in when this started happening? Where’s the accountability?
2.) It’s my opinion that the call taker who took Kowalski’s call really didn’t do anything wrong. Millie Stepp was simply doing her job the way she always does. According to testimony, she stands up and yells across the room often. Other call takers do the same thing. Millie always writes things down before she puts them into the computer. Even for traffic stops. It’s all in the report. Sadly in the report it says Kallestad (dispatcher) and Martinez (dispatcher) both testify that Millie was yelling the information in Kowalski’s call to Kallestad. Even more sad is Millie testifies she was yelling to Martinez.
Does this sound whacked out to you? Does this sound archaic. Kallestad in her testimony things it’s an archaic way of doing things. Shouldn’t this be changed. Isn’t there a better way? Millie was doing her job. She didn’t follow up to see if a car was dispatched because she never does. And why should she? She should be able to assume it’ll automatically get dispatched. More on Kowalski’s call later.
3.) At 6:30PM the new shift came in for “roll call”. This is where the new call takers, dispatchers and teletype operator are briefed on what is going on. According to testimony the only thing they were told about Denise’s situation was Rick Goff’s daughter was taken, the children may have been involved and there was a bloodhound requested. HUH? What happened to the BOLOs at 4:59 and 5:58 mentioning the green Camaro, and King’s description?
It’s obvious they weren’t monitoring the teletype machine. In the testimony the deputies out there were clearly frustrated that they weren’t getting information from North Port. But they were! It just wasn’t getting dispatched. According to Millie’s testimony she heard about a green Camaro but it was over Sarasota County’s radio.
Bill Cameron was Communications Chief that night. Where the hell was he? And who is Millie talking about when she says to Jane Kowalski “I’m sorry maam everyone is here hollerin’ at me” and she’s asking the dispatchers “what’s he saying he wants me to do?” The dispatchers were busy. Bill Cameron was in charge of the dispatch center that night. So, what “he” was Millie referring to?
More later. I can’t go on. There’s other awful stuff. I’ll address the other stuff and Kowalski’s call soon.
I can’t believe people are endorsing Bill Cameron when he has been less than forthcoming about all this stuff. And because he has taken no responsibility for any of this debacle and has distanced himself by hiding behind Davenport his campaign manager.
Sorry to rant. But this is very important. This is an everyday occurance. The teletype operators go home early consistantly to save money. Millie yells out across the room whenever something big like this happens. I personally feel bad for Millie and the dispatchers. The dispatchers mistakes were appalling. But, sadly, this is the way they do things. It is my opinion they have been scapegoats. It’s in the report.
Bill Cameron was in charge of Public Information too. The CCSO in a press conference on the Friday after after Denise’s funeral said that the CCSO didn’t do anything wrong. But it’s in the report that they did. Millie knew. Kallestad and Martinez knew. And “he” knew. They all knew, in my opinion. They were just hoping we would be so beat up over this tragedy that it would just go away.
Well, it’s not. We’ve gotten so much support nationally over this. We hear from 911 centers across the country who use Denise’s story in their training now. Nationally people realize we need change. What about locally?
Thanks for listening. Vote for DeVries. We need change and fast.
Again sorry to rant.

:behindbar
Defense wants hearing on King’s competence
By Todd Ruger
Published: Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 12:27 a.m.
SARASOTA COUNTY - The man accused of kidnapping Denise Lee from her North Port home and killing her may be incompetent to stand trial, his attorney says.
Michael King’s attorney has asked for a competency hearing to determine if King has the ability to help in his own defense. No hearing date has been set.
“Conversations with defendant reveal an irrational thought process on the part of the defendant,” assistant public defender Carolyn Schlemmer wrote in the motion.
Defendants are required to show an understanding of the charges against them and facts behind the charges so they can help in their defense.
The charges are not dropped if King, 37, is determined to be incompetent, and he is not considered not guilty by reason of insanity.
A defendant who is declared incompetent is sent to a state hospital for treatment until doctors determine the person meets the legal criteria for competency.
The motion comes six months after a judge ordered an examination to see if a past head injury has affected King’s brain function.
Attorneys for King said in a motion that he had suffered a head injury and they wanted doctors to do a test known as a PET scan.
Experts say such injuries can change a person’s personality and behavior later in life.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for King, who is charged with kidnapping, rape and murder.
Lee, 21, was reported missing from her North Port home on the afternoon of Jan. 17.
Her body was found two days later in a shallow grave six miles from her home.
King was arrested on a kidnapping charge the night of the abduction and was charged with murder after the body was found. He is being held in solitary confinement at the Sarasota County jail.
A lab has matched King’s DNA to DNA found on Lee’s body, according to court documents filed by the prosecution.:furious:

This was written by Peggy Lee
you can find it on a mom and her blog
October 19, 2008 - Sunday
The Charlotte County 911 center
Current mood: angry
There are so many things that went wrong that night. I’m learning more and more. If people only knew that this isn’t just about Jane Kowalski’s 911 call. Even if we take Jane’s call out of the picture there was gross mismanagement and negligence that night, in my opinion. What I’m about to share is all in public record. It just needs to be requested from the sheriff’s department. What you want to ask for is the Internal Affairs Investigation Case Number 08-01-003. This is going to appall you but you’ll get a better idea of how we need to change things in our 911 call center, especially here in Charlotte County.
Let me begin by saying we believe the CCSO was definitely trying to cover things up. And we have good reason. Some of those details will come out in Nathan’s civil suit and I’ll leave that up to him to share.
But, I can get the other stuff out. Here goes:
1.) The teletype operator went home early on January 17, 2008. According to testimony this is the usual practice of the sheriff’s office so as not to allow them to go over 40 hours. They do this all the time so as not to have to pay over time. It’s usual practice that when a teletype operator goes home early, the two dispatchers are to monitor the teletype machine every 5 - 10 minutes. One of the dispatchers testified she did this. But it’s difficult to believe because several BOLOs (Be On the Look Outs) came over the teletype machine starting around 5:00 PM. The teletype operator went home at 3:30 PM. When the first BOLO came over the teletype at 4:59, it was not responded to until 5:38. That’s 40 minutes folks. And we even question that considering it’s not in the CAD report (Computer Aided Dispatch). And because deputies in the field and at Nathan and Denise’s home weren’t aware of it. In the first BOLO there was information on Denise, the green Camaro seen in her driveway and a description of a suspicious individual (pudgy white male, 30 -40 years old). According to the testimony of the deputies they didn’t know there was a green Camaro involved, and “didn’t think there were any real leads” even as late as 6:45PM. That’s an hour and 45 minutes. Another BOLO came over from North Port at 5:58. This BOLO was completely ignored. Another BOLO at 6:46 was also completely ignored. Interestingly, the teletype operator who came on duty testified that when she came in at 6:45PM the machine “was down” because “the operator musta gone home early”.
The CCSO did send out a BOLO at 6:36PM at the request of Sgt Davis who was with Rick (Denise’s father) out at the house. They had just finished listening to Denise’s frantic 911 call to Sarasota County.
Our question to the CCSO is some one needs to take responsibility for making a decision that we don’t need a teletype operator 24/7 to save money. Davenport and Cameron are making plenty of money. Why can’t we have a teletype operator 24/7? How much did we save that day by sending the operator home 3 hours early? Why didn’t someone call the teletype operator back in when this started happening? Where’s the accountability?
2.) It’s my opinion that the call taker who took Kowalski’s call really didn’t do anything wrong. Millie Stepp was simply doing her job the way she always does. According to testimony, she stands up and yells across the room often. Other call takers do the same thing. Millie always writes things down before she puts them into the computer. Even for traffic stops. It’s all in the report. Sadly in the report it says Kallestad (dispatcher) and Martinez (dispatcher) both testify that Millie was yelling the information in Kowalski’s call to Kallestad. Even more sad is Millie testifies she was yelling to Martinez.
Does this sound whacked out to you? Does this sound archaic. Kallestad in her testimony things it’s an archaic way of doing things. Shouldn’t this be changed. Isn’t there a better way? Millie was doing her job. She didn’t follow up to see if a car was dispatched because she never does. And why should she? She should be able to assume it’ll automatically get dispatched. More on Kowalski’s call later.
3.) At 6:30PM the new shift came in for “roll call”. This is where the new call takers, dispatchers and teletype operator are briefed on what is going on. According to testimony the only thing they were told about Denise’s situation was Rick Goff’s daughter was taken, the children may have been involved and there was a bloodhound requested. HUH? What happened to the BOLOs at 4:59 and 5:58 mentioning the green Camaro, and King’s description?
It’s obvious they weren’t monitoring the teletype machine. In the testimony the deputies out there were clearly frustrated that they weren’t getting information from North Port. But they were! It just wasn’t getting dispatched. According to Millie’s testimony she heard about a green Camaro but it was over Sarasota County’s radio.
Bill Cameron was Communications Chief that night. Where the hell was he? And who is Millie talking about when she says to Jane Kowalski “I’m sorry maam everyone is here hollerin’ at me” and she’s asking the dispatchers “what’s he saying he wants me to do?” The dispatchers were busy. Bill Cameron was in charge of the dispatch center that night. So, what “he” was Millie referring to?
More later. I can’t go on. There’s other awful stuff. I’ll address the other stuff and Kowalski’s call soon.
I can’t believe people are endorsing Bill Cameron when he has been less than forthcoming about all this stuff. And because he has taken no responsibility for any of this debacle and has distanced himself by hiding behind Davenport his campaign manager.
Sorry to rant. But this is very important. This is an everyday occurance. The teletype operators go home early consistantly to save money. Millie yells out across the room whenever something big like this happens. I personally feel bad for Millie and the dispatchers. The dispatchers mistakes were appalling. But, sadly, this is the way they do things. It is my opinion they have been scapegoats. It’s in the report.
Bill Cameron was in charge of Public Information too. The CCSO in a press conference on the Friday after after Denise’s funeral said that the CCSO didn’t do anything wrong. But it’s in the report that they did. Millie knew. Kallestad and Martinez knew. And “he” knew. They all knew, in my opinion. They were just hoping we would be so beat up over this tragedy that it would just go away.
Well, it’s not. We’ve gotten so much support nationally over this. We hear from 911 centers across the country who use Denise’s story in their training now. Nationally people realize we need change. What about locally?
Thanks for listening. Vote for DeVries. We need change and fast.
Again sorry to rant.

rant as much as you want. the information was very good and detailed. too bad to think that if the whole system, including the operators were doing their job she might be alive now. seems like money is more important to save then the life of a innocent person.

rant as much as you want. the information was very good and detailed. too bad to think that if the whole system, including the operators were doing their job she might be alive now. seems like money is more important to save then the life of a innocent person.

Isn't that sad! If everyone had been doing their job I'm sure that Denise would have been found in time. It sounds like a zoo at that police department.
Talk about poor management. I think the whole bunch of them should have been fired. They could start all over with new people learning the right way these things are done. These are supposed to be professional people. Going home early...I know it happens all of the time so money can be saved but if they had paid that person to stay Denise would be alive. BUT if the other women where supposed to handle her job plus their own for those three hours then they should have been doing that. It cost a young lady her life. It left little kids without their mother and a husband without his wife. If I were Denise's husband I would bring a huge Wrongful Death suit against the city...the police department. I'm sure he must have to pay a babysitter to watch the kids while he works, etc. Maybe having to pay out a ton of money will wake the bigwigs up.

Nathan Lee will be on the DR. Phil Show Dec 12th

Representing the Foundation in memory of his late wife, Nathan Lee will make an appearance on the Dr.Phil show Friday, December 12th
Please Check your local station for times.

The episode will focus on 9-1-1, and will be the third time the Foundation and Denise's story has been on national television.
For more information and updates please visit www.deniseamberlee.org
Thank~You

Nathan Leewill be on the DR.
Phil Show Dec 12th

Representing the Foundation in memory of his late wife, Nathan Lee will make an appearance on the Dr.
Phil show Friday, December 12th
Please Check your local station for times.

The episode will focus on 9-1-1, and will be the third time the Foundation and Denise's story has been on national television.

for more information and updates please visit www. deniseamberlee. org
Thank~ You

Glad, he has moved on.... {in his own words}:no: pathetic

Sheriff Davenport wraps up 31 year career

CHARLOTTE COUNTY -- John Davenport has never been one to seek attention.
He joined the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office 31 years ago as just another face in the crowd.
And that's how he wants to leave.
Davenport will retire from the agency this week without a party or the usual fanfare that follows a career law enforcement man.
"I have never felt very comfortable having the spotlight shined upon me, whether it be for good or bad," Davenport wrote in an e-mail to his staff last month. (He declined to be interviewed for this story.) "All I ever wanted was to do my job, do it well and leave it at that. I feel confident I have accomplished my goal."
Colleagues described Davenport as the quiet leader -- one who could restore calm from chaos.
"There was something very steady about John," said Sheriff-elect Bill Cameron, who will be sworn in Tuesday. "He's going to be missed."
Davenport, 56, was hired in 1978 as a jailer (which now would be a corrections officer).
Within a year, the New York native was promoted to jail commander, although it was anything but a desk job.
Every week, Davenport retrieved food supplies in town for the jail population, which rarely exceeded 20 bodies. In addition, he regularly drove inmates to court.
In 1989, Davenport became a district commander, where he remained four years before being put in charge of communications. His ascension through the ranks continued in 1995, when he was named chief deputy under then-sheriff Richard Worch.
In 2001, Davenport returned as jail commander. The move was temporary, as Cameron named Davenport second-in-command upon his appointment by former Gov. Jeb Bush two years later.
Davenport ran for sheriff in 2004, as Cameron agreed not to seek office as a condition of his appointment. Davenport won the general election with roughly 72 percent of the vote.
However, his rise to the top didn't change the way he approached the job, friends say.
A man of strict routine, Davenport began each morning inside a gym. Like clockwork, he would be seated at his desk at 6:30 a.m., answering e-mails and outlining his day with meticulous detail.
"John is probably the most disciplined person I've meet," said Maj. Dan Libby.
During his career, Davenport started the civilian police academy, the GED program at the jail, and DARE within the school district.
He spent many hours at the elementary schools reading to children. And he never missed a DARE graduation.
"He took a personal interest in the school system," said Dave Gayler, Charlotte County Public Schools superintendent.
That interest in others carried over to work, where Davenport was known to bring in deputies and, at times, inmates, unofficially, to ask about things and about how the agency could improve.
Off the clock, he mentored a girl through her entire school career as a volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
"He truly set the example for civic leadership," Libby said.
Despite these accomplishments, Davenport also will be remembered for the agency's internal investigation of a 911 call in the Denise Amber Lee murder case.
The 21-year-old North Port woman was kidnapped and murdered Jan. 17, 2008. Earlier that evening, Charlotte County dispatchers received a call from a witness who reported seeing what appeared to be a child slapping the back window of a Chevrolet Camaro stopped at a traffic light.
Two dispatchers were suspended and required to complete remedial training, but the measures haven't eased family concerns.
Davenport said he has moved on, and Cameron declined to comment.
In retirement, Davenport plans to remain in Charlotte County for another year before selling his house. The goal is to move to upstate New York, where he owns 27 acres.
Once there, he plans to remain anonymous.
"Hunting, the outdoors and solitude have always been my passion, and I now hope to live out that passion as a reward for 31 years of service," he said in the office memo.
E-mail: jwitz@sun-herald.com
By JASON WITZ
Staff Writer:boohoo:

Remember Denise Amber Lee Tribute

On the first Anniversary of Denise Amber Lee's passing, there will be a Special Tribute.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009
11:00 {it will last about an hour}
The front steps of North Port City Hall
4970 City Hall BLVD
North Port, Fl 34286

Speakers will be:

Nathan Lee {Denise's husband and president of the Denise Amber Lee Foundation}
Pastor David Baldridge
North Port City Commissioner David Garofalo
Florida House Of Representatives Paige Kreegel
Rep Ken Roberson
North Port Chief Of Police Terry Lewis
David Dignam of Key Agency-

Please come and show your support.

:blowkiss:

Remember Denise Amber Lee Tribute

On the first Anniversary of Denise Amber Lee's passing, there will be a Special Tribute.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009
11:00 {it will last about an hour}
The front steps of North Port City Hall
4970 City Hall BLVD
North Port, Fl 34286

Speakers will be:

Nathan Lee {Denise's husband and president of the Denise Amber Lee Foundation}
Pastor David Baldridge
North Port City Commissioner David Garofalo
Florida House Of Representatives Paige Kreegel
Rep Ken Roberson
North Port Chief Of Police Terry Lewis
David Dignam of Key Agency-

Please come and show your support.

:blowkiss:

My prayers to Denise Amber Lee's family and friends for this challenging mark.

Jennifer Kesse, still missing from Orlando, FL, will be missing 3 years a week later on January 24, 2009....

so sad that January brings this tragic marks to one's life.

The sun

Resident's to celebrate Denise Amber Lee's Memory

NORTH PORT -- Not many people knew who the shy Denise Amber Lee was until after she died. But in the days following her Jan. 17, 2008, abduction and murder, she became a household name.

Residents in North Port, Englewood, Charlotte, Punta Gorda and Rotonda rallied to raise money for the family Lee, 21, left behind -- her young sons, Adam and Noah, and grief-stricken husband, Nathan.

Every week for months, residents planned fundraisers and memorials, including benefit runs, car washes, picnics, self-defense classes, silent auctions, yard sales, a tree planting, a jewelry party, a golf tournament and a family fun day in the park in Denise's honor.

On Saturday, a year after Lee's death, the community will come together again to celebrate her life.

"It's going to be more uplifting instead of a sad memorial service," said Dave Garofalo, a family friend and a member of the Denise Amber Lee Foundation created to improve the 911 dispatch system and bring a state-of-the-art 911 call center to North Port.

A North Port city commissioner, Garofalo invited Nathan, his parents, Peggy and Mark, and Denise's father, Rick Goff, to his office at City Hall recently to organize the 11 a.m. ceremony in front of City Hall on Saturday.

Shortly after Lee's death, about 250 residents gathered at the same location to remember Denise. Saturday's service includes some of the same people who were a part of last year's memorial.

Garofalo said it's important to invite politicians because of the foundation's goal of strengthening 911 dispatchers' training.

"When an officer goes to your house for a domestic dispute, you know he's certified," Garofalo said. "When a paramedic is doing CPR on a patient, you know he's certified. You should have the same feeling when you call 911 -- that the dispatcher has had enough training and is certified to handle the call properly. They are a part of the first line of defense. They should have some kind of certifications."

Garofalo said the foundation will continue gently pushing its efforts, despite a poor economy.

"I don't want to see us (the foundation) push to pass a bill that becomes an unfunded mandate that local governments cannot afford," he said. "But that doesn't mean we can't do all we can to make people aware of the flaws in the system."

Nathan says he is grateful for all those who have helped his family.

"Nathan's message is that he cannot bring back his wife, but he can make things better by making people aware of her story," Garofalo said.

Nathan took this week off to help plan for the ceremony and spend time with Adam and Noah.

The Lee and Goff families, as well as the foundation, also will honor Tampa resident Jane Kowalski on Saturday.

Kowalski is the driver who called Charlotte County dispatchers on the night Denise was murdered. She told the 911 operator what she was witnessing in the car behind her, reportedly driven by suspect Michael King. Kowalski said she saw who police believe to be Lee banging on the window and screaming. Lee's body was found two days later off Toledo Blade Boulevard, and King was charged in her death.

Garofalo arranged for Kowalski to be given a key to the city for her dedication and "follow-through" attitude in trying to get deputies to respond to the suspicious activity she reported.

A bagpiper from the city police department will open the ceremony with "Amazing Grace," choir members from South Biscayne Church will sing, and Nathan plans to speak, as well as several others.

"The biggest reason for people to come on Saturday is to see (how) much Denise has made a difference in the community," Nathan said. "They will see how much a negative has been turned into a positive impact throughout our community and our country.

"It will be sad in a way, but it's a celebration about how much has risen from the ashes. Our boys are doing great. We are doing our best to make Denise happy, and we are not going to be miserable our whole lives."

If you go

Speakers for the Denise Amber Lee remembrance at 11 a.m. Saturday in front of North Port City Hall include state Reps. Paige Kreegel and Ken Roberson; the Rev. Dave Baldridge, pastor of Englewood United Methodist Church; Dave Dignam of Key Agency in Englewood; North Port Police Chief Terry Lewis; North Port City Commissioner David Garofalo; and Nathan Lee, Denise's widower.

E-mail: eallen@sun-herald.com

By ELAINE ALLEN-EMRICH

North Port Community News Editor

The Herald

Memorial to honor life of a mother

By John Davis

Published: Friday, January 16, 2009 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 16, 2009 at 12:16 a.m.

NORTH PORT - The city that a year ago watched the unfolding tragedy of the abduction and murder of 21-year-old North Port mother Denise Lee will pause Saturday at City Hall to remember her.

Click to enlarge
Denise Lee

A memorial ceremony is scheduled for 11 a.m. in front of City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd. State and local leaders and Nathan Lee, Denise's husband, are scheduled to speak.

Lee was taken from her home Jan. 17, 2008, touching off a massive, multi-agency search that ultimately failed to save her. Michael King, 37, of North Port, is awaiting trial on kidnapping, rape and murder charges.

The Lee abduction became a symbol for flaws in the 911 system when investigators found later that a witness, Jane Kowalski, reported seeing a passenger struggling in a dark colored Chevrolet Camaro on U.S. 41 that night. Kowalski's information never made it to deputies patrolling nearby after Charlotte County's 911 center mishandled her call. At the time, authorities had a description of King's car, a green Camaro, and were looking for the vehicle.

Nathan Lee has started a nonprofit foundation, the Denise Amber Lee Foundation, with a goal of improving the emergency call system in Florida and across the nation. He lauded Kowalski for her 911 call.

"She has been amazing towards my family," Lee told city leaders this week. "What she did that night is something everybody should do. It doesn't matter who you are."

North Port will award Kowalski a key to the city Saturday in recognition of her attempts to save Denise.

Kowalski's mishandled call has garnered national media attention and led to a state law on voluntary statewide training standards for people who work in emergency communications centers.

But Nathan Lee, who indicated he plans to sue Charlotte County over its response to Kowalski's call, said more improvements are needed.

This story appeared in print on page BN1

JW-Lee-anniversary-2.gif

Here is a picture from the local Herald Tribune Newspaper....

FOUNDING PRESIDENT NATHAN LEE DELIVERS KEY NOTE ADDRESS TO CALIFORNIAS ANNUAL 911 CONFERENCE San Diego- After a 5 minute standing ovation from the nations largest chapter of The National Emergency Number Association(NENA), Nathan Lee came through on his promise to not let his wife's death be in vain by delivering a 45 minute speech that left not a dry eye at the San Diego Conference. "It was an honor to speak in front of a group of such dedicated public servants who perform one of the most noblest professions in saving lives" Lee said. The 4 day conference attracted experts worldwide in the 911 Emergency Communication Industry. Mr Lee was invited to speak to the California's State Assembly to raise awareness on the importance of 911 training, funding and uniformed standards. "The fact that Denise's story is able to make a positive impact on such a large scale and so very far away is inspiring to many in the profession and we are beginning to see her death was not in vain" Lee continued Geoff Weiss who is the Training Supervisor for the Communications Division of the San Diego County Sheriffs Department was the one behind the scenes and responsible for getting Nathan Lee to California, he had reached out to Nathan early on in his ordeal and said that he had hoped he could help in any way that he could, "I am proud of the way California regulates dispatch and even more proud of how the members of the Denise Amber Lee Foundation were not only here for a key note speech but embedded themselves in every aspect of this 4 day conference, they really showed that they have a passion for fixing 911, I was incredibly impressed by the way they were so involved" Weiss stated. Nathan was accompanied by other Directors from the Foundation including his Father Mark Lee, Businessman Dave Dignam and North Port City Commissioner David Garofalo. The group was able to make many contacts and are very certain that this is "Now" a national issue and will be traveling to Washington, Texas and Nevada for future national events in which the foundation was invited to participate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery
Back