FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure if I can post the 'we stand with ashley' page (easy to find online), but she sure doesn't look the same in those photos as she does today. I'm thinking also the dark circles and no makeup is part of the 'He poisoned me' defense they will be using. My question is how he poisoned her while pregnant when she wasn't living with him.... and how he continued to even after. They really do NOT want to bring in the Psych report from the custody battle. It must have some interesting info.

I have to think this will backfire. I'm sure the jury will view pics and videos of her dressed normally with her hair down. They'll see right through this homespun, strait-laced look and think she's trying to pull a fast one.
She’s trying to look like she is 12 yrs old!
Looking down , always down but..Ah ha!
She did finally look up when they showed the photos taken of her body.

Pretending ..per Judge Ashley Willcot on CTV. No shrinking violet. Not the personality portrayed previously. Not buying it.
Me neither.

MOO

Defense described Doug as 30 years older than Ashley and was obsessed with her. Defense says during an argument Doug shot a hole in the ceiling. Another time he punched the dog and knocked him out during an argument with Ashley.

Prosecution: Ashley killed Doug over custody of their daughter.
Defense: Ashley killed Doug in self-defense.

Already contention inside the #AshleyBenefield courtroom with Doug Benefield's cousin under cross-exam. After multiple sidebars, the judge just sent the jury out.

@cathyrusson
Is it anyone’s theory that Ashley killed Doug over his net worth and property? Seems that is another likely scenario? MOO

Is it anyone’s theory that Ashley killed Doug over his net worth and property? Seems that is another likely scenario? MOO
Not my theory! I am not sure he had anything left after the Ballet Company folded. My theory is she wanted a baby more than anything and once she got pregnant, she had no need for him any longer. She did not want to share custody of their daughter with him. I think she invented all kinds of stories to make him seem worse than he actually was.

Not my theory! I am not sure he had anything left after the Ballet Company folded. My theory is she wanted a baby more than anything and once she got pregnant, she had no need for him any longer. She did not want to share custody of their daughter with him. I think she invented all kinds of stories to make him seem worse than he actually was.
Maybe she wanted a baby and the child support that goes with it..

Holy moly does the defense attorney speak so slow, is the guy being paid by the second
I noticed that too this morning too KSwizzle…… excruciatingly slow. Almost painful and hard to follow from point to point. Some statements in the opening argument almost IMO seemed to be also theatrical or over emphasized perhaps?

Someone questioned in the thread earlier I believe ‘how long is this trial going to take’? One answer seems to be as long as that defense attorney takes to present and enter his statements into evidence and on the record. MOO

Not sure if I can post the 'we stand with ashley' page (easy to find online), but she sure doesn't look the same in those photos as she does today. I'm thinking also the dark circles and no makeup is part of the 'He poisoned me' defense they will be using. My question is how he poisoned her while pregnant when she wasn't living with him.... and how he continued to even after. They really do NOT want to bring in the Psych report from the custody battle. It must have some interesting info.
Oh, some well-placed eyebrow powder does wonders to make dark circles appear!

I’ve seen that this Trial was coming up on CourtTV but didn’t really pay much attention to it, otherwise wondering why it was called “The Black Swan” trial.

Then read that Vanity Fair article and wow!!! So much to digest! Definitely will have to watch the 48 Hours or Dateline. I’m of course interested in the actual evidence but there seems to be a whole lotta delusional crazy* in this one. I will say her vision of an inclusive ballet company sounded lovely. Too bad it was all castles in the air.

Poor Eva though. My heart goes out to her. I hope she gets the closure she needs and can move forward with her life as best as she can.

*Disclaimer: Non-scientific opinion

I’ve seen that this Trial was coming up on CourtTV but didn’t really pay much attention to it, otherwise wondering why it was called “The Black Swan” trial.

Then read that Vanity Fair article and wow!!! So much to digest! Definitely will have to watch the 48 Hours or Dateline. I’m of course interested in the actual evidence but there seems to be a whole lotta delusional crazy* in this one. I will say her vision of an inclusive ballet company sounded lovely. Too bad it was all castles in the air.

Poor Eva though. My heart goes out to her. I hope she gets the closure she needs and can move forward with her life as best as she can.

*Disclaimer: Non-scientific opinion
The Vanity Fair article set me straight, too!

Now starring....in the greatest role of her lifetime...prima ballerina Ashley Benefield in The Black Swan Widow! Not a Whodunnit, but a Whydshedoit!

Hear as she fakes her fear and her tears on the 911 call - a convincing performance? Her neighbor seemed to buy it!
Watch her get emotional listening to said 911 call! But is that emotion sadness or barely contained laughter?
Will she take the stand in her own defense and piroutte her way through the prosecutor's cross-examination to freedom?

We don't know, but I'll be tuning in to watch!

All kidding aside, I believe she's guilty, because I am a cynical, jaded Websleuther, and everything I've read about her points to it, but the jury may fall for her act and a lot of the stuff about her craziness may not make it in. She reminds me of Mary Winkler, but more evil. Maybe an unholy meld of Mary Winkler and Kouri Richins. I just hope she doesn't get a sentence like Mary Winkler - two months.

Hoping the jury has COMMON SENSE, because she and Doug were not even together for a year before she got what she wanted and sprinted south to mommy in Lakewood Ranch. There is no long history of abuse and only what she says in evidence. She faked her neighbor out, but she is so unbelievable to me.

Maybe she needs some hooker shoes and a children's book?

Now starring....in the greatest role of her lifetime...prima ballerina Ashley Benefield in The Black Swan Widow! Not a Whodunnit, but a Whydshedoit!

Hear as she fakes her fear and her tears on the 911 call - a convincing performance? Her neighbor seemed to buy it!
Watch her get emotional listening to said 911 call! But is that emotion sadness or barely contained laughter?
Will she take the stand in her own defense and piroutte her way through the prosecutor's cross-examination to freedom?

We don't know, but I'll be tuning in to watch!

All kidding aside, I believe she's guilty, because I am a cynical, jaded Websleuther, and everything I've read about her points to it, but the jury may fall for her act and a lot of the stuff about her craziness may not make it in. She reminds me of Mary Winkler, but more evil. Maybe an unholy meld of Mary Winkler and Kouri Richins. I just hope she doesn't get a sentence like Mary Winkler - two months.
Oh I remember Mary Winkler - she surely got away with murder
Wasn't that the case where she testified her dead husband made her walk on these really high heels? Well, geez, that's reason enough to shoot him!!!!

Is this the same individual now on trial? IIUC it is. Sure hope the jury is ‘on their toes’ in this case. Bad pun not intended. MOO

This image is from a July 5, 2023 Law & Crime article by Vanessa Bein entitled ‘Bombshells, a ballerina & her husband shot in the bedroom: What we know about the Benefield murder case’. Link to article:

Attachments

• IMG_7226.png
    IMG_7226.png
    390.2 KB · Views: 4
Having that little girl stand there with a sign is so awful, I cannot imagine who thought that would be a good idea. If it was Ashley, she is a terrible mother. If it was Ashley's mother, then we can glean some understanding into why Ashley turned out the way she did. What a disgrace!
I was upset that the victim’s daughter had to testify. But the defendant allowing her young daughter to even be there never mind wield a sign is just sad. I’m surprised a GAL hasn’t put a stop to that. I’m only learning about this case today so still reserving judgment.

There is no wasteful of time here. Trial is moving along.
Questions being asked that are relevant to advance the case forward.
Curious if the defendant will testify.

My thoughts. moo.
I believe Ashley will have to testify since her atty included all those facts about the self defense in his opening statement. There has to be evidence presented to support those statements and she’s the only one that can.

Hoping the jury has COMMON SENSE, because she and Doug were not even together for a year before she got what she wanted and sprinted south to mommy in Lakewood Ranch. There is no long history of abuse and only what she says in evidence. She faked her neighbor out, but she is so unbelievable to me.

Maybe she needs some hooker shoes and a children's book?
I was willing to entertain the possibility she was preyed upon. But after reading more about it today I’m starting to see more potential evidence she orchestrated this at some point although maybe she initially really was in love. Neither one seemed to make great decisions.

But at some point she bolted. I accept severe morning sickness but most women wouldn’t leave their home & husband. Most mothers would go to their daughters home to care for her. That doesn’t make sense so I consider it suspect, particularly when there is a less flattering alternative explanation.

And if there was a custody fight she would at least lose the sole control she’d been exercising. But if there’s no one to pursue custody, problem solved. So pretend you want to reconcile so you have an opportunity to move back in & take your time waiting for the right time.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back