FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This detective won't look at AB. I'm getting Canton PD vibes of this smug cop. Seems like he failed to do his job properly if you ask me.

Next witness is Detective Brian Moreland. Manatee County Sheriffs Office, Crimes against Children detective.

AB filed at least 5 complaints against Doug for sexual and/or physical abuse against their daughter Emerson. None of these resulted in charges being filed.

Last edited:
Afternoon break 15=20 minutes.

I am getting a pretty clear picture right now as to what happened. AB tried everything she could think of to get Doug out of her and her daughter's life but police and court personnel were not cooperating. Thus, she took matters into her own hands.

Dr Brad Broeder, Clinical Psychologist is up next. He is the one who wrote the report for the custody battle that was allegedly to come out in the hearing 3 days after AB killed Doug.

We are getting the tale of the two Ashleys from Dr Broeder. She was telling him one thing during their sessions alone but in their sessions that included Doug she would only try to put off talking about things. Dr Broeder says Ashley made it clear there was no reconciliation pending in their sessions yet Doug thought it was a possibility in joint sessions.

Last edited:
If there is no evidence of domestic violence or other official reports of such to police, investigators, or authorities by this defendant or in this case…… HITH does this keep coming up in this case and courtroom?

The conduct of this defense counsel…… well, I better stop here. Frankly, IMO judge should have taken a bigger chunk out of the matter. SMH. MOO

I missed what the defense atty said that the judge took so personally....

The witness was about to mention the gunshot incident when the prosecution objected, the witness kind of made a face to the defense and the defense said " You have no idea". The judge cleared the jury and the witness and lit into him about being professional. Then took a short break to let everyone calm down.

If firing a gun into the ceiling,
throwing things into a wall making a hole there,
and hitting a dog unconcious
is not considered DV,
then...
I don't know what is :oops:

Oh,
and tracking the movements of a person.

Not a good home environment to bring up a child IMO.

Hmmm...
I'm not surprised the defendant didn't touch these subjects while in therapy TOGETHER with the husband.

But felt free to talk while alone with a therapist.
Nothing new here.

Just My Opinion.

If firing a gun into the ceiling,
throwing things into a wall making a hole there,
and hitting a dog unconcious
is not considered DV,
then...
I don't know what is :oops:

Oh,
and tracking the movements of a person.

Not a good home environment to bring up a child IMO.

Hmmm...
I'm not surprised the defendant didn't touch these subjects while in therapy TOGETHER with the husband.

But felt free to talk while alone with a therapist.
Nothing new here.

Just My Opinion.
Agree with the violence but also have to say something about a mother that wears guns, and also the day of the murder had at least two other guns hidden in different places in the house.

Agree with the violence but also have to say something about a mother that wears guns, and also the day of the murder had at least two other guns hidden in different places in the house.
Yes wishbone!^…… and IIUC the defendant had affinity and knowledge of firearms and weapons well before meeting her now dead husband? MOO

The only evidence of the prior acts of DV came out in the custody hearings, where Doug admitted to the hole in the ceiling, punching the dog and punching a hole in the drywall. I did not hear all the prior hearings motions in this case but I think the Judge and both sides agreed to keep the custody case separate from the murder case. So maybe that is why all the objections about DV?

That is why she is the defendant I guess.

I pity the baby girl :(

Father dead.
Mother charged of murder.

The child victim didn't choose her parents.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back