FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks bobbymkii! I had missed that other key point. Those were texts between the late DB and his other now deceased wife? SMH……. If so…… Unbelievable….. simply astonishing. How was that allowed or relevant for this case or trial? IA(also)NAL…. MOO
Oh! And which witness did the defense have on the stand in order to submit them into evidence?

The defendant! Who had never met Doug at the time those communications were sent and never met Renee at all!

Someone please make it make sense!

Oh! And which witness did the defense have on the stand in order to submit them into evidence?

The defendant! Who had never met Doug at the time those communications were sent and never met Renee at all!

Someone please make it make sense!
Wonder if the prosecution might elect to move for a mistrial on that allowed evidence? And sorry, I can’t make it make sense either. So odd. And seems procedurally in error IMO?

Can’t recall how many times it seems some prior or ‘bad’ acts are ruled inadmissible. Or prejudicial. In other cases. And as you noted, neither is available to defend or refute how that evolved or occurred. IANAL. MOO

The messages from the victim’s ex wife are admissible because the defendant found them and read them. They are offered as an exception to hearsay because it’s about the impression they made on the defendant and not for the truth of the matter. But of course the jury will be inclined to think these messages from the ex-wife ARE likely true. JMO

The messages from the victim’s ex wife are admissible because the defendant found them and read them. They are offered as an exception to hearsay because it’s about the impression they made on the defendant and not for the truth of the matter. But of course the jury will be inclined to think these messages from the ex-wife ARE likely true. JMO
Thank you Weki!…… appreciate the insight and I did not quite follow all that as it unfolded. And it is helpful to know the ruled exception.

I wonder too, whether investigators might have asked the defendant on the record about any of those messages? And whether they and the prosecutor were aware of them and whether anyone has yet asked the defendant whether she asked DB about that message exchange? (Or was she ‘snooping’ in his phone and found them?) Could get interesting……. and without knowledge of those points might get tricky for prosecutors to cross on them? MOO

If, as AB asserts, DB became upset over the order AB wanted the van packed I have a problem with it. She knew he was coming to her house to help load the van and I question why she didn't explain how she wanted it packed before hand. It seems logical that DB should have been advised to pack his house first and then come over and pack up her house so that her stuff would be closest to the opening. I believe AB is just using her story as a made up excuse to have a reason to say why DB became angry. JMOO

I'll take your word for it. It's as good an explanation as any!

Are AB's evidence photos available here?

Can the jury discuss why AB didn't leave the house after the first shoulder bump...then the second shoulder bump then the the box in her side?

That was being physical along with when DB pushed the box into her side which was also being physical yet she claims when he hit her on the side of her face that that was the first time he was physical with her.

Looking back more at the timeline and after her testimony, i think she found out he wasn't as wealthy as she thought.... AFTER she got pregnant. Thus the run back to Mom's house. She was looking for a wealthy husband, thus the Trump/political affiliation as a 'swimsuit model/ballerina'. He was in the right place at the right time, was heading off to Europe....looks solid. She has his reverse a vasectomy' FAST, gets pregnant, starting the ballet company and BOOM, money isn't as available as she thought. Hightails back to FL. Ballet falls flat, he moves to FL to be with new child and try to make it work. She strings him along, so much so he'll move to MD to be in childs life also. Don't see any real work history for her, just 'hobby' work. Who's paying for everything? Mom? Mom inherited the MD house, sold it (i think) and then back to FL. ALL MOO

I’m behind - am I missing TEARS or am I right, there isn’t any?

I give this performance a solid D
There might have been a tear or two sneak out, I'm not sure. But no red or puffy eyes, lots of sniffling but nothing running from her nose and a whole lot of heavy breathing........a firm F

Is that old woman with the grey hair and expressive face her mother or grandmother?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back