FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Respectfully and just imho:
Personally, if I was in a panic and fear of my life I probably wouldn't lock the door either. I'd get to my weapon to secure myself. It isn't a horror movie where one has no defense and locks the door to keep the bad guy out. The fact that he couldn't catch up to her, idk.
BBM:
Looks like that went right over the prosecutor's head and the house layout for a possible closer exit which wouldn't have involved a firearm.

Something about AB's timeline after she started running to her room I find questionable.

This is like when you work a 9 to 5 office job and someone calls at 4:55PM on a Friday to have a conversation they know full well is going to last a considerable amount of time and probably annoy the hell out of whoever has to deal with your nonsense, but they do it anyway. I think there should be a special place in hell for people who inflict this sort of first world pain on people!

JMO
Does AB have a public defender or a court appointed attorney?
Ferris has to have cost big bucks to testify.

Court is still in session. Defense is proffering the DV expert. I couldn’t bear to listen to him. This felt like Alyce LaViolette all over again. I feel this type of evidence is junk and shouldn’t be allowed. This is a straight up self-defense case. Her actions were unreasonable. Defense arguing now why this expert should be allowed to testify. JMO

Ferris almost sent himself to sleep whilst trying to recall his CV!

What is the prosecution"s objection to him, why is he being heard in voir dire mode? I missed that.

Any reasonable person can hear from a defendant and the facts of the incident and determine whether she feared for her life. Having this mental health counselor explain away all her inconsistent behavior leading up to the incident is improper in my view. That’s for the jury to decide and it’s a question of credibility. Having some “expert” throw a bunch of theory at the jury to explain away all doubts the jurors might have seems unfair to the state. JMO

WOW!
Ferris is having a hard time remembering how many hours he spent/talked with her.
He came up with 15-20 hrs.

Is there documentation for this?

So domestic violence is what Ferris said she was a victim of.
Not suffering from "battered wife/victim"

I don't understand how this situation can even be called domestic violence. These two were not even living together. Add to that, the Florida Statute defines domestic violence as follows

“Domestic violence” means any assault, aggravated assault, battery,aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking,aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.

I missed the ex-wife abuse.
I did hear that AB had read some texts.
Did she snoop like in DB's saved texts and find them?
I'm so confused.

I don't understand how this situation can even be called domestic violence. These two were not even living together. Add to that, the Florida Statute defines domestic violence as follows

“Domestic violence” means any assault, aggravated assault, battery,aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking,aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.

The tracker DB put on her car?
Stalking?

WOW!
Ferris is having a hard time remembering how many hours he spent/talked with her.
He came up with 15-20 hrs.

Is there documentation for this?

From what I got out of his testimony is that in addition to talking with her he read documents that had no basis in proven facts and based his findings on that. JMOO

I don't believe just about anything that AB claims.
She had no fear of bringing him back into her daughter's life after filing in court that he physically/sexually abused her.
She tried to place blame for that as the "advice from her lawyer" but what did she tell her lawyer?

From what I got out of his testimony is that in addition to talking with her he read documents that had no basis in proven facts and based his findings on that. JMOO
Thanks for that and he said that he never talked to AB about the actual shooting.

The tracker DB put on her car?
Stalking?
look up the definition of stalking under florida law and let me know what you think. It is more than I want to tackle today after being subjected to this latest witness testimony. Lots to read under that topic.

Do we know if when AB was doing her reeling DB
back in, over and over, if she was intimate with him?
Sex does play a role when one is manipulative.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back