FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Who knows what was and how strong his religious affiliation was when he divorced his 1st wife.
Could be he had yet to be "born again" eh?

Citing religious beliefs only if they suit certain purposes.

I know such people.
They have nothing in common with Religion, whatever it is :rolleyes:

Not sure, but think mother was subject to being recalled so she wouldn't be present in court. JMO
There is a rule that the sequestration for immediate family is not in effect Same is true for Eva. Mother could be there and I assume will be for closing and verdict...surely they have someone that can be with the daughter.

I think she leans towards histrionic personality disorder -
Obviously, he was abusive, manipulative, intimidating, controlling -
In her head, it was perfectly REASONABLE to leap to the worst possible conclusions.

Given his KNOWN history of violent propensity - I’m now leaning towards NOT GUILTY

A woman shouldn’t have to be beaten before defending herself.
I agree- I’m leaning towards not guilty (opposite of where I started). It can be both- DB was abusive and AB made things up or exaggerated. Toxic relationship- both of them. It’s possible we would be seeing a different trial if she hadn’t shot him. DB on trial for killing AB. It’s tragic- but don’t think she planned on killing him that day.

Seriously, Doug was no pillar of society or someone to be admired or emulated. But at one point, when he thought Ashley was engaged to another guy, he was ready to file for divorce and let her go. So what/who stopped that from happening?

The lack of a timeline gets me every time.

There is a rule that the sequestration for immediate family is not in effect Same is true for Eva. Mother could be there and I assume will be for closing and verdict...surely they have someone that can be with the daughter.
Eva was dismissed as a witness but the mother was not, yes?
So as the trial continues Eva can sit in the gallery but the mother can not.

That's what I understand as happening.

Curious who was watching Eva when DB was galavanting after AB then planned on the Maryland move?
Where was Eva going to live and with who?
I can see why the prosecutor didn't touch that with Eva but the defense missed the opportunity trying to show that DB was so obsessed with AB that he was deserting his 15 yr old daughter.

Unless I missed any of that in Eva;s testimony?
he did get the point across that DB was FIXATED with AB....fell short of asking daughter where she was living during all of his running around.

Eva was dismissed as a witness but the mother was not, yes?
So as the trial continues Eva can sit in the gallery but the mother can not.

That's what I understand as happening.
I think Eva is subject to recall as well. Why else were they questioning her about her SM posts and talking to a reporter? She was still under sequestration orders I believe.

Eva is under a sequestration order. However, under Florida law, as the next of kin of a crime victim she's allowed to remain in the courtroom and watch the proceedings despite her testifying in the trial, except in extraordinary circumstances.

Ashley's mother doesn't have that right.

edit -
(2) A witness may not be excluded if the witness is:
(d) In a criminal case, the victim of the crime, the victim's next of kin, the parent or guardian of a minor child victim, or a lawful representative of such person, unless, upon motion, the court determines such person's presence to be prejudicial.

I agree- I’m leaning towards not guilty (opposite of where I started). It can be both- DB was abusive and AB made things up or exaggerated. Toxic relationship- both of them. It’s possible we would be seeing a different trial if she hadn’t shot him. DB on trial for killing AB. It’s tragic- but don’t think she planned on killing him that day.
this is one where I go back and forth...honestly not sure. not impressed with the lawyering on either side.

Eva's is under a sequestration order, however under Florida law as the next of kin of a crime victim she's allowed to remain in the courtroom and watch the proceedings despite her testifying in the trial.

Ashley's mother doesn't have that right.
yes I was confused on that,,,,only next of kin to victim. Thank you.

Seriously, Doug was no pillar of society or someone to be admired or emulated. But at one point, when he thought Ashley was engaged to another guy, he was ready to file for divorce and let her go. So what/who stopped that from happening?

The lack of a timeline gets me every time.
'In August 2019, Ashley showed up to drop off their daughter; she was wearing an engagement ring. Doug hired a private investigator, who said Ashley was seeing someone else. Doug filed for divorce. Ashley then accused him of physically and sexually abusing their daughter. Doug denied the allegations and CPS found no evidence of abuse.'

"In the summer of 2020, Ashley and Doug suddenly reconciled again and announced they were moving to Maryland with their daughter and Ashley's mother. On September 27, 2020, Doug was packing a U-Haul with the family's possessions."

'In August 2019, Ashley showed up to drop off their daughter; she was wearing an engagement ring. Doug hired a private investigator, who said Ashley was seeing someone else. Doug filed for divorce. Ashley then accused him of physically and sexually abusing their daughter. Doug denied the allegations and CPS found no evidence of abuse.'

"In the summer of 2020, Ashley and Doug suddenly reconciled again and announced they were moving to Maryland with their daughter and Ashley's mother. On September 27, 2020, Doug was packing a U-Haul with the family's possessions."

Thanks! Sounds like he had to put the divorce proceedings on hold to fight the child abuse allegations.

And it also sounds like she was bound and determined that he was not going to get parenting time with their daughter *no matter what she had to do*.

Thanks! Sounds like he had to put the divorce proceedings on hold to fight the child abuse allegations.

And it also sounds like she was bound and determined that he was not going to get parenting time with their daughter *no matter what she had to do*.
shame that these two troubled people ever got together let alone had a child.

You got that right.

"no matter what she had to do"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay