FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wish we couldn't hear this discussion/argument and that it had been conducted in private. Baloney.
Yes! And before the witness began testimony and the jury then had to be cleared from the courtroom. Again. SMH. This matter seems to be coming up often with the defense making the same argument before the court. MOO

People's religious beliefs work in mysterious ways, eh?

Indeed.

And, for some, convenient ways.

This was clearly a volatile and highly-performative relationship -- from the 13-day fevered courtship to the ballet company right through the birth, decampment to FLA, and mooted move to MD.

High-voltage. Irrational.Loud. Nothing about their lives together/apart seems quite real to me, much more like a scripted reality series cast for high drama.

And yet, DB is dead, and AB is on trial for his murder. Hopefully cold reality will at last trump performance. I still say "guilty," though it may take time.

I think AB is used to getting her way and will do whatever it takes to get it. Every now and then she lets her mask drop in court. Its fleeting but its there. She's a manipulator who wanted a sugar daddy. He portrayed himself as one and financially was ok UNTIL he was with her (so it seems). I think she wanted the child support/alimony and what came with it. I don't know that it was PLANNED that she killed him that day, but she absolutely led him on in all things from moving to FL to the potential MD move. WHY did she take it that far? MOO

And did this witness say four bullets? And yet IIUC he just spoke of bullet number 5?

And believe he has offered to show a trajectory for one of the bullets? And details on the others. Why is this expert not showing trajectory for all hollow-point bullets shot at the victim? Every one.

I can think of one reason why if showing trajectory of only one……. perhaps showing all does not support the defense position? Sure hope the prosecution jumps on this. MOO

I agree- I’m leaning towards not guilty (opposite of where I started). It can be both- DB was abusive and AB made things up or exaggerated. Toxic relationship- both of them. It’s possible we would be seeing a different trial if she hadn’t shot him. DB on trial for killing AB. It’s tragic- but don’t think she planned on killing him that day.
I think she certainly may have - but the state is failing to prove it

In those two trajectories just shown, green and blue, downward trajectory IMO would tend to support that the victim was below the shooter AB, and perhaps cowering or attempting to evade or avoid. Possibly even get around that wall or corner in the room? And seems also IMO that the defendant, AB, was in full control of the matter at that point when firing the gun those multiple times. Four shots eh?

And witness just said that multiple different points of entry differing locations, the victim was attempting to move or adjust position. That also sounds like he is trying to avoid IMO. Not threatening. MOO

What I don't get is the defense claims it's not using the "battered woman defense" for killing DB yet everything they've put forward is from the BWD syndrome .

I can't find anything online if there's a difference between the BWD and an abused woman defense because Ferris was testifying on abused women,

The ballistics expert is still on direct before break?? Geez. This is a self-defense case…..the defense has already admitted that AB shot and killed Doug. What is the relevance of a ballistics expert?? It feels like this is the defense’s first murder trial and they’re trying to impress everyone. I think sometimes I give these lawyers too much credit by assuming every decision is a “strategy.” But I think most of the time it’s a lack of preparation and incompetence. And this goes for both sides.

JMO

Edited to add - Oh defense is trying to rebut the whole ‘she shot him from the back’ evidence!!! Duh!

who is Mr. O'Keefe...the guy sitting behind not at the defense table and who frequently wipes his face.
Paralegal Jack O’Keefe sits behind the defense table as Ashley Benefield appears before potential jurors in the voir dire portion of her trial for the second-degree murder of her estranged husband in 2020 at the Manatee County Judicial Center, July 22, 2024.

Paralegal Jack O’Keefe sits behind the defense table as Ashley Benefield appears before potential jurors in the voir dire portion of her trial for the second-degree murder of her estranged husband in 2020 at the Manatee County Judicial Center, July 22, 2024.

Thanks!
I was also VERY curious who this man is.
He immediately caught my eye.
But only from photos,
as I don't watch anything live streamed.

IIUC that individual was specifically called out by the prosecution for apparently making signals and requests of counsel for actions during the testimony. And prosecution called for sanctions by the court to defense counsel and also Mr. O’Keefe.

The judge said he would not address that at the moment. Hope it is not forgotten. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back