GUILTY FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
who is Mr. O'Keefe...the guy sitting behind not at the defense table and who frequently wipes his face.
Paralegal Jack O’Keefe sits behind the defense table as Ashley Benefield appears before potential jurors in the voir dire portion of her trial for the second-degree murder of her estranged husband in 2020 at the Manatee County Judicial Center, July 22, 2024.

Paralegal Jack O’Keefe sits behind the defense table as Ashley Benefield appears before potential jurors in the voir dire portion of her trial for the second-degree murder of her estranged husband in 2020 at the Manatee County Judicial Center, July 22, 2024.

Thanks!
I was also VERY curious who this man is.
He immediately caught my eye.
But only from photos,
as I don't watch anything live streamed.

IIUC that individual was specifically called out by the prosecution for apparently making signals and requests of counsel for actions during the testimony. And prosecution called for sanctions by the court to defense counsel and also Mr. O’Keefe.

The judge said he would not address that at the moment. Hope it is not forgotten. MOO

Testimony also just elicited from the Canadian ME that one of the bullets had impacted / shot / severed the victim’s spinal cord / column. And that IIRC he was rendered paralyzed from that bullet. I believe testimony was also just given that emergency officials mentioned or recounted the victim DB having said he could not feel his legs? Resulting in paralysis of the legs. MOO

So O’Keefe is not a lawyer??? Haha. I swear he is quarter-backing this trial from his seat. He acts like co-counsel and Taylor seems to defer to him quite a bit. What a ramshackle defense team!

JMO

Defense rests! Whew. All in all no one can say Taylor didn’t give it his best. He just doesn’t have the facts on his side. His client is guilty.

Sounds like no rebuttal by the state. So we’re doing the charge conference.

Defense rests! Whew. All in all no one can say Taylor didn’t give it his best. He just doesn’t have the facts on his side. His client is guilty.

what a pettifogger. Trying to sneak in two sentences from a stack of evidence an inch and a half thick. More than sleazy. JMOO

Last edited:
Is it the paralegal??(And i believe it is) they tried to postpone trial because they were upset he couldn't sit at the defense table with defendant. There was quite a temper tantrum over that. I wondered why it was so important that a paralegal was AT the table... so i think there is more going on with him.

Is it the paralegal??(And i believe it is) they tried to postpone trial because they were upset he couldn't sit at the defense table with defendant. There was quite a temper tantrum over that. I wondered why it was so important that a paralegal was AT the table... so i think there is more going on with him.
Yep, one and the same!

OMG! It’s coming back to me now. I do remember something like that. I can’t imagine expecting to sit at counsel table as a paralegal. Wow! O’Keefe is quite arrogant and thinks he’s running the show. Get a law degree and try your own cases! Geez!

O’Keefe is bullying Taylor! lol

Edited to add-Ohhhh is O’Keefe White Knighting for AB?? That would make sense. They’re both bullying Taylor!!

Weird. They complained about O'Keefe "being able to practice law in this courtroom" then during that last argument O'Donnell approached him with a load of documents, and basically everyone was having a sidebar with O'Keefe at the centre of the whole discussion.

Isn't it also weird that we know the name of the defense paralegal, but no-one knows the name of both of the State ADA's?! (I only know the surname of one of them!)

JMO

IIUC that individual was specifically called out by the prosecution for apparently making signals and requests of counsel for actions during the testimony. And prosecution called for sanctions by the court to defense counsel and also Mr. O’Keefe.

The judge said he would not address that at the moment. Hope it is not forgotten. MOO
Yes they mentioned something about him practicing law in the courtroom....probably only being a paralegal that would not be permitted. They have a logistically odd seating arrangement...maybe can't be at counsel table or too crowded?

The state said they have rebuttal in morning.

Last edited:
Have to head out..
Testimony also just elicited from the Canadian ME that one of the bullets had impacted / shot / severed the victim’s spinal cord / column. And that IIRC he was rendered paralyzed from that bullet. I believe testimony was also just given that emergency officials mentioned or recounted the victim DB having said he could not feel his legs? Resulting in paralysis of the legs. MOO
OMG!
I just got back and missed the testimony.

I had no idea that he remained conscious.
Did he bleed out?
I wonder had AB called 911 immediately instead of booting over to the neighbor who called 911 could DB have survived.

Was anything said about the care medics gave to him at the scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eveirs