FL FL - Dylan Helms, 16, Missing Child Alert, double-leg amputee, in wheelchr, ran away from youth shelter, Santa Barbara & Whitaker, Naples, 26 Sep 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m trying to think of the right way to phrase this. I don’t feel like anyone is speculating. His past medical history is important if it informs his current history, regardless of his age. We don’t want to know his private details and past history; but the public is better informed to assist if we know other current information to help us and him. (I’m thinking of when silver alerts or other alerts state the person may have low blood sugar, diabetes, impaired cognitive function etc).
I feel like if there was other medical history that might be relevant to his current situation/might endanger him further, it would probably be mentioned. If a missing person is diabetic, etc that's almost always mentioned in their missing persons report.

Based on maps and the last known location referencing the youth shelter, I believe it was Youth Haven from where he went missing. I've included their mission statement below:

"Providing Home, Hope, & Healing to abused and neglected children and teens in Southwest Florida."

The immediate area around the shelter is mostly residential, planned homed communities, churches and a golf course - the nearest commercial businesses / restaurants appear to be approximately 2 miles away.

Based on maps and the last known location referencing the youth shelter, I believe it was Youth Haven from where he went missing. I've included their mission statement below:

"Providing Home, Hope, & Healing to abused and neglected children and teens in Southwest Florida."

The immediate area around the shelter is mostly residential, planned homed communities, churches and a golf course - the nearest commercial businesses / restaurants appear to be approximately 2 miles away.
I really think someone he knew must have picked him up. If he had just been wandering around for very long he would have been noticed, there'd be witnesses or video of that. People would have spoken to him if he was out and about with no place to go during tornado threat weather.

I am hoping he had a plan and ran off because he had a ride set up. I pray that is true. The reason I think that is because, even if one has neglectful parents or caretakers, there are sometimes older siblings, or aunts and uncles, that will step up when they get the chance, when a child is unhappy in CPS placement. I've seen it happen before and I pray that happened for him.

If not, I'm worried about where he could be now.

I really think someone he knew must have picked him up. If he had just been wandering around for very long he would have been noticed, there'd be witnesses or video of that. People would have spoken to him if he was out and about with no place to go during tornado threat weather.

I am hoping he had a plan and ran off because he had a ride set up. I pray that is true. The reason I think that is because, even if one has neglectful parents or caretakers, there are sometimes older siblings, or aunts and uncles, that will step up when they get the chance, when a child is unhappy in CPS placement. I've seen it happen before and I pray that happened for him.

If not, I'm worried about where he could be now.
I agree that it would seem (imo) that there was a plan for someone to pick him up. Based on reviewing maps, it seem DH would have been spotted, more witness accounts, etc. if he had stayed in the area. I wonder how much communication the teens in the shelter are allowed; was there daily access to a phone, email, standard mail, etc.

The below news report from WINK includes an updated photo (unsure of the date) but this seems to be more recent and representational of how DH may appear now. I wonder if the wheelchair in the photo is the one he used to leave - noting that it appears non-motorized and more like a traditional wheelchair.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashpandaoutside
Back