FL - Ebony Wilkerson drove kids into ocean, Daytona Beach, March 2014 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A mother who drove her minivan into the ocean in Daytona Beach with her three kids inside has been charged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse, the Volusia County Sheriff's Office announced Friday.

I just let out a huge, heavy, sad sigh. I understand why they have to charge her, but I wish that there had been more diligence when she was exhibiting abnormal behavior. She would be in a hospital, where she obviously belonged, and we would never have heard of this. IMO.

Attempted Murder Charges Filed Against Mom Who Drove Kids Into Ocean

By Jim Seida

The woman who drove her minivan into the Atlantic Ocean, endangering her three children until rescuers charged into the water to pull them out, has been charged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder, authorities in Florida said Friday.

The woman, Ebony Wilkerson, 32, was also charged with three counts of aggravated child abuse, Volusia County Sheriff Ben Johnson said.

As she steered into heavy surf, investigators said, she locked the doors of the minivan, rolled up the windows and told the children to close their eyes and go to sleep...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mi...filed-against-mom-who-drove-kids-ocean-n47146

I just let out a huge, heavy, sad sigh. I understand why they have to charge her, but I wish that there had been more diligence when she was exhibiting abnormal behavior. She would be in a hospital, where she obviously belonged, and we would never have heard of this. IMO.

I am all for punishing the guilty, But I think there is something really wrong with this woman given the earlier call to police and the fact that the sister said something was really wrong with her.

I am so glad that there were people there to help those children.

I just think this is someone who needs more help than punishment.

I am all for punishing the guilty, But I think there is something really wrong with this woman given the earlier call to police and the fact that the sister said something was really wrong with her.

My sentiments, exactly.

I remember the Delisle case well.

In this case, I really don't know much other than the recent history of possible mental health issues. I wonder if this could be a part of that, though. Apparently she was involved in a crash causing a fatality in 2007:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=10307888

I also read that the mother locked the doors as she was driving into the ocean. One of the children tried to wrestle the steering wheel from her, and he was able to hit the power buttn that rolled down the windows. I give that child a lot of credit for saving his siblings ( and the mother ). He thought well for being in a crisis.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/sheriffs-office-announce-if-mom-who-drove-ocean-wi/nd7kY/

I think most people who commit heinous crimes and murder their children are suffering from some degree of mental illness. I don't think that excludes the need for punishment. If this were a father that did this, people would be far less likely to say "He needs help more than punishment."

I think most people who commit heinous crimes and murder their children are suffering from some degree of mental illness. I don't think that excludes the need for punishment. If this were a father that did this, people would be far less likely to say "He needs help more than punishment."

Exactly. Police talked to her just a short time prior, she was able to convince them she was fine. So it certainly doesn't appear she was completely out of it.

You might be surprised how mental illness can elude physicians and LE. Sometimes everyones hands are tied. Unless she was threatening herself or the lives of her children there wasn't much the police could do in that moment. You can't hospitalize someone just because the family says she's acting weird.

I'll keep this family in my thoughts. The mother and her children obviously need help.

Fathers also don't suffer from psychiatric conditions brought on by the hormones of pregnancy and birth.

I agree. I don't know why it had to come to this. I think the police really should have realized she had problems. I generally do not take sides on an issue so horrible. I truly believe this woman needed help and she was not treated correctly. I feel bad for all involved, esp. the children.
This situation should not have come to this conclusion. I'm only grateful the children are alive.

Goz

I don't understand the family letting her leave with the children, seeing how she was acting to them. I know for a fact, if it was my sister, and i thought she was having issues, I would try to get her to stay with me, and at the least, I would not allow her to leave with the children. Maybe tell her 'you need to get yourself together, you need some down time with out the kids'.
LE has guidelines to go by, before they can do anything, and sometimes the people having problems are able to put on a good show.

All that said, it seems like here in SC, we are getting as bad as FL (in the crime dept)

She has been charged and is being held of 1.2 million dollar bond. She has also killed before. Seven years ago she drove her car into another car killing a women. She was not charged with that situation.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/dayt...ean-mom-in-minivan-spoke-of-demons-say-police

Snip
Her sister had called dispatch and told them that she (Wilkerson) had been talking about demons that day before she left the house,” Chitwood said.
Snip

Seems her sister should have tried to do something, (not sure if she could have). We don't know if the sister could have taken the kids but she was talking about Demons when she was there. I don't think she was in her right mind.

Police stated she did not seem normal but did not have enough to Baker Act her.

In regard to her accident, it does not show malice anywhere in the article.

I still believe somehow maybe this could have been prevented.

Where is the father? Any word on this guy anyone?

Goz

I believe that this woman is very ill. She is not normal. You can tell from her court appearance. She needs help. I am all for punishing the guilty but my guess is that she is in some kind of psychosis either brought on by the pregnancy or something else. Some women get deeply depressed during PG.

You might be surprised how mental illness can elude physicians and LE. Sometimes everyones hands are tied. Unless she was threatening herself or the lives of her children there wasn't much the police could do in that moment. You can't hospitalize someone just because the family says she's acting weird.

I'll keep this family in my thoughts. The mother and her children obviously need help.

It was easy for one to be institutionalized, now it is now next to impossible.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/dayt...ean-mom-in-minivan-spoke-of-demons-say-police

Snip
Her sister had called dispatch and told them that she (Wilkerson) had been talking about demons that day before she left the house,” Chitwood said.
Snip

Seems her sister should have tried to do something, (not sure if she could have). We don't know if the sister could have taken the kids but she was talking about Demons when she was there. I don't think she was in her right mind.

Police stated she did not seem normal but did not have enough to Baker Act her.

In regard to her accident, it does not show malice anywhere in the article.

I still believe somehow maybe this could have been prevented.

Where is the father? Any word on this guy anyone?

Goz

I found this about the husband earlier, before she was charged.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/mother-who-drove-minivvan-kids-ocean-accused-husba/nd7St/

Oh I hope she goes to prison for a very LONG time. She's nothing but an extreme narcissist, a danger to society, her family and her own children. All I can think of are those children who have been spared, sadly, only because their parents were unaware of the easy, get out of jail free (or let her off easy) card that mental illness and postpartum are. Not every woman who is pregnant, kills or attempts to kill her children is mentally ill or suffering from PPD.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back