FL - Fendra Molme, 11 months, dies in hot car while parents attend church, Palm Bay, May 2023 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some children are knowingly and negligently left inside hot vehicles while their parents do errands. Other kids climb inside their parents’ parked cars and become trapped. But most, like Juan Parks, are victims of adults’ disastrous lapses in memory. “Given the right scenario, I would say this can happen to anyone,” says Diamond. “It has nothing to do with how much parents love their kids. It is, to me, a tragic way of learning how the brain works.”

Each of us has dueling memory systems, Diamond explains. The first — in the primitive, “reptilian” part of the brain — directs our habits. It’s the system that lets you drive home from work without thinking consciously about every turn. The second system — located in more advanced brain regions — is responsible for short-term plans, such as “Buy milk on the way home.” And as anyone who has ever forgotten that milk knows, the primitive “habit system” is much more powerful. “It’s very difficult to keep in your mind that you want to override your habit system,” Diamond says. “And it can take over almost immediately.”

Of course, forgetting a child is far different from forgetting a gallon of 2%. But not to the reptilian brain. Imagine that your plan is “Drop kid at babysitter’s on the way to work.” If you’re tired or distracted by worries, or — worse — if you’re not the person who usually takes the kid to the sitter’s, your habit system can erase that plan with appalling ease. Like Mary Parks, you go straight to work on auto-pilot, spacing out on the fact that your child is with you in the backseat. You even develop false memories of dropping him off. “The brain is very good at filling in gaps, so you will remember what you assume you did,” Diamond says.

Excellent article @imstilla.grandma. I was glad to see David Diamond explaining the brain and memory so clearly. Some of the same parents were mentioned in this article as in the WaPo excerpts I posted the other day. I think one of the biggest takeaways for the case we’re following is the tip to never assume someone else has removed the child from the car. Parents and grandparents need to embed in their thinking that it can happen to them and to take the precautions needed and not rely on the faulty memory we can all have in certain circumstances. We don’t want to think it could happen to us, but denial can be fatal. So get those memory aids in place in the car. Our new car signals if we leave anything on the back seat, and I’m glad it does even though we don’t drive with littles. The inconvenience is a small price to pay so those with kids will have this safety feature.

JMO

I'm not suggesting that they were cognizant of the fact that the baby was still in the car. It's obvious that they left the baby in the car. However, intent is not obvious or evident unless other evidence comes to light. I don't think these parents set out to kill their baby last Sunday morning. I don't think they set out to leave the baby in the car at all. I believe it was a terrible mistake. Having been a party to many a chaotic Sunday mornings, from some measure of experience, I can completely see how this could happen 100% accidentally. JMOO
I don't believe there was ever any intent to harm the baby, not at all. And I can see how this could have happened. The mom is running late so she rushes inside to do the mornings proceedings, and for some reason or another, no one actually saves the baby from a gruesome death, because of a misunderstanding.

It is a terrible mistake, I agree. But it is also possibly criminal negligence, if not enough care was taken to protect the baby. Misunderstandings happen when there is not clear communication or intent. If one of the parents followed through to make sure the baby was brought inside, we wouldn't be talking about this tragedy. It was their responsibility to do so. JMO

It's a tiny church, like a classroom, next door/ joined to a convenience store.
Really? From their FB, it looks much bigger than that. There are videos which show their church during services, and the child care room. [ Some of the videos are from trips they make to Africa, but others are in their local church.]

It looks very well taken care of and well attended.

I do think the venue of this tragedy might influence potential jurors if this case goes to trial. I’ve read several threads of hot car child deaths in the last year. This thread feels different somehow. I’m feeling split like a lot of posters. Apart from little Cooper‘s, who suffered horribly and did not receive justice, this thread feels more decisive than others. Will the mom’s position in the church be a factor? I feel it might on both sides of the coin. imo

eta: I think there are so many details missing right now but I believe she is probably guilty of criminal negligence but aggravated manslaughter? Idk. Are they the same thing?

Last edited:
I have 7 kids and have attended church every Sunday for decades and I agree that it's especially chaotic when you have toddlers (as I have, 4 kids all less than 6 years apart). I've never once forgotten one of them in the vehicle before entering church (or the store, or school or anywhere else) so, I really have a hard time seeing how this could accidentally happen. I realize this is a very subjective experience, but that's my personal experience.

jmo
I agree. It’s hard for any/most of us to understand. I bet until it happens to most of the parents we read about in these stories, they felt the same way.

My Escalade has a reminder that pops up onto my dash with an “alert” that says “Reminder: Check the rear seats” or something like that. I don’t necessarily need it since my kids are 15, 13 and 12 but it catches my attention every single time!
My Lexus does too. I also have a Lexus app and it alerts me something is on the backseat after the car has been off a certain time or locked. It alerts to even empty shopping bags.

This doesn't even sound suspicious to me. I can think of a multitude of scenarios in which this could happen completely by mistake.
I agree it can and does happen, but until we know more details we can't know for sure what happened that morning.

I just think it's uncommon for 2 people to forget a child. They may not have even been in the same car, so like I say we need more info.

I'll never understand these cases of parents leaving their child in the car to die, never. No matter how sleep deprived or whatever other galling excuse, it's unacceptable.
In church for 3 hours?? Doing what?? Just appalling.
Poor little one, my heart breaks.
I always think the same thing when I hear these stories. I will never, ever understand how it happens. It's completely inexcusable.

I agree. It’s hard for any/most of us to understand. I bet until it happens to most of the parents we read about in these stories, they felt the same way.
I'm not so sure about that. While the perfect parent doesn't exist, and every parent makes mistakes raising their kids, forgetting your toddler or baby in the car is on a completely different level than most of the common parenting mistakes.
It all comes down to priorities. For those who do this, it's abundantly clear the well being of the child was not their top priority - or it would have never happened.

jmo

Really? From their FB, it looks much bigger than that. There are videos which show their church during services, and the child care room. [ Some of the videos are from trips they make to Africa, but others are in their local church.]

It looks very well taken care of and well attended.

I suppose it depends on your frame of reference, I'm in UK so 'church' makes me think of huge 800 year old buildings! I guess I meant with it being small it would be a community rather than anonymous, and there are just a few parking spaces at the front and side, not a huge car park.
20230605_172304.jpg

I always think the same thing when I hear these stories. I will never, ever understand how it happens. It's completely inexcusable.

I'm not so sure about that. While the perfect parent doesn't exist, and every parent makes mistakes raising their kids, forgetting your toddler or baby in the car is on a completely different level than most of the common parenting mistakes.
It all comes down to priorities. For those who do this, it's abundantly clear the well being of the child was not their top priority - or it would have never happened.

jmo

As the Mom of a now 51 year old (she survived my mistakes), I get what you’re saying and I agree that it could seem that it is “inexcusable” and that their child was “not their top priority.” There are certainly such cases and this could be one of them. Personally, I wouldn’t got that far. It seems that it was a tragic breakdown in communication and awareness/memory. Obviously, the DA sees it differently as she’s been charged. But DAs vary a lot in whether they file charges in these cases, so we’ll see if a jury agrees (frequently they don’t).

But as my WaPo article excerpt and the one @imstilla.grandma also posted explained, science disagrees with your comments when it comes to memory. Our brains are complicated and, until reading those articles, I wasn’t aware of how fragile our memory can be in these normally routine situations…unless we take concrete steps to remind it (teddy bear on seat, purse in back, etc). But if we think it can never happen to us, we either may not know to take these precautions or we may not think we need to do so. The parents mentioned in these articles were all loving, conscientious parents who wanted and prioritized their child. But their memories failed for the science-based reasons discussed in those two articles. They did not even know they needed to take the precautions mentioned because they never thought it could happen to them when they heard about hot car deaths. But it did happen. I just hope that everyone reads those articles to gain a clear understanding of how memory can and does fail in the best of us, so that we will take precautions we may not think we need to take.

JMO

The article says in that case, the mother was a foster mother to the baby and a social worker. What do you tell the baby's biological family? It sometimes seems random who is charged with a crime and who isn't. Could there be biases when deciding?
In that case, the baby, unfortunately, had a biological family unable to provide care for the child. I think the circumstances unique to each case should be the determining factors if or when charges are filed.

JMO

My Lexus does too. I also have a Lexus app and it alerts me something is on the backseat after the car has been off a certain time or locked. It alerts to even empty shopping bags.
Yes mine does that as well! It would be nearly impossible for me to leave a child or animal in my truck without it causing a huge scene.

@10ofRods, were you meaning to refer to David Diamond (in my first WaPo post) regarding memory? Hickling is discussing why we have such strong feelings about these cases, not memory. Just wanting to clarify. But I agree that we absolutely do need to build memory techniques into our lives when we’re dealing with children. And I agree that most people don’t realize how fragile memory can be under stress or disrupted routines or rushing, so they don’t even think to create these techniques. We think we could never have such a lapse, but if everything lines up wrong we can. So these habits and having a second person to be the checker, as you mention, are essential.

I did have to laugh about @katydid23 and her pink rabbit in the front seat. That would never work for me because I wouldn’t even notice the rabbit after about the third time. It would seem normal to have a pink rabbit riding shotgun next to me! :D Putting my purse in the back would work better for me. But the point is, come up with what works for you and do it!

JMO

Yes, sorry, I meant Diamond.

However, I was also trying to make the point that "feelings" (activation of the limbic system) regarding such tragedies do not help us much when it comes to later remembering. IOW, I could be horrified each time I think of a hot car death, but those feelings themselves do not in anyway make my memory better (perhaps the opposite).

People may not know that they have memory lapses, if they aren't regularly involved in something requiring memory and routine. And, if our brain are occupied with digging through our memories for other things (a sermon or lecture we're about to give; a sales pitch we've memorized, etc) then we are more likely to forget our newish routine.

For me, putting things I absolutely had to have in the back seat solved the whole problem. And I still do it, even though no babies on board, because I formed the habit, which is a third dimension to all this.

The "checking" part of our brain - the one that reminds us to lock the front door or whatever - is yet another subsystem of the brain; the research shows that the average person takes 4-6 weeks to form a new, reliable habit, but that some people (like myself) take far longer. It's the area of the brain involved in OCD and there's definitely variation among humans on this dimension. Most of us know people who are better "checkers" than others (or "worse").

imo

Timeline of facts known...
Where: Mount of Olives Evangelical Church in Palm Bay, a small storefront congregation Both parents lead services, father is pastor. Parents created church in 2018, have "sister church" in Haiti. Parents are from Haiti. 4 children.
5-28-23
Father arrived at church to lead Sunday School, before the 10:15 main service.
Mother and the 4 children, including the 11 month old child, arrived at church later, in mother's car.
Mother was leading service, said she was late.
Service began at 10:15 am.
Child left in car. Mother says she thought a church member brought her inside.
Not seeing her child in the church at the end of the service (1:00 pm), she rushed outside and found her child in the car, unresponsive. CPR began
Police estimate child left in car for "at least 3 hours."
Child rushed to hospital, where she was declared dead.
6-1-23
Mother charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child.
Probable Cause Affidavit: DocumentCloud
6-2-23
Mother released from jail after posting a $15,000 bond.

Sources:
(best article) Palm Bay mother charged in infant daughter's death after leaving her in hot car, police say

How horrible for this church member also. I can’t imagine the scene between the two in that parking lot after mom found this little baby. I wonder why, if she did ask this member, and why not believe her, the member didn’t unstrap the baby from the car seat and bring her in? Did member not hear her?

How horrible for this church member also. I can’t imagine the scene between the two in that parking lot after mom found this little baby. I wonder why, if she did ask this member, and why not believe her, the member didn’t unstrap the baby from the car seat and bring her in? Did member not hear her?
I haven't read every article out there so I'm not clear if this other church member has given any statement or anything like that. I do have to wonder though, if someone else was supposed to be minding this child while the mother officiated the service, why wasn't the child minder the one arrested/charged?

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on your frame of reference, I'm in UK so 'church' makes me think of huge 800 year old buildings! I guess I meant with it being small it would be a community rather than anonymous, and there are just a few parking spaces at the front and side, not a huge car park.
View attachment 426776

Yeah, I know what you mean, that looks more like my Dr's surgery than my local church. It could also pass for our local methodist church though.

This case is different from a parent believing they removed the child from the car so it may be more child neglect or endangerment than other cases we’ve seen.

Does it amount to manslaughter? I’m not convinced it does.

BTW, in a 2017 interview with David Diamond he said he no longer uses the phrase “Forgotten Baby Syndrome.” He says it’s not even a syndrome but rather a normal failure of an individual’s working memory, IOW the same memory failure as forgetting to stop for milk on the way home from work. Unfortunately it’s a bit late to remove that buzz word. I’ve always hated it.

Again, that doesn’t seem to be the case here and I don’t quite understand the manslaughter charge.

I haven't read every article out there so I'm not clear if this other church member has given any statement or anything like that. I do have to wonder though, if someone else was supposed to be minding this child while the mother officiated the service, why wasn't the child minder the one arrested/charged?
Good point.

Was it a typical arrangement that a specific church member was in charge of bringing the baby into the church (or their nursery) every Sunday? Did the mother in her haste because she was late simply say to someone “Can you bring the baby in” without verifying? Too many questions to know exactly who did what.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793
Back