FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts to classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. What amazes me is that Trump still has allies. I have several family members who voted for Trump and now they are very angry at him because of his many lies. The man betrayed their trust. It all makes Watergate look like a cake walk.

JMO
I’ll never understand when people still follow him and have his flags in their yards. So very scarey! Are that many people just like him? Adore him like he is God

"I suspect we’re going to see additional indictments and it is going to be a test of our democracy — and particularly the courts — as to whether they are going to have the fortitude and also the acceptance by the American public that we are a country of laws, not men. This is such a defining moment and unique for our country to be in this position after hundreds of years."
- Andrew Weissmann, former Assistant United States Attorney

He has 30 million rabid supporters who love him and will vote for him: he was right when he said he could kill someone on fifth avenue and he would still be loved by these people. It is astounding and unbelievable but it is reality. They will love him even more now. Go figure.
Those rabid supporters should get vaccinated. This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with crime and being held accountable.

JMO

"Miami, the Southern District of Florida, is known to be a rocket docket. They move cases quickly.

Trump will certainly file preliminary motions trying to get this indictment dismissed. I think we should expect that.
He will try to position them so that they can be appealed to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in advance of a trial.

But the important thing about the 11th circuit, which is deeply conservative, is that it has already considered the former president’s delayed tactics twice and rejected them. In other words, Trump’s credibility is shot in this circuit. He will have to come in with legitimate legal arguments. To the extent that he does not have them, he will be in serious trouble."

- Joyce Vance, former United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama

Posted for some context, a recent case of someone who had fewer charges over classified documents and was sentenced to 3 years, and he even pled guilty.

Investigators seized roughly 13,000 documents from Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, nearly a year ago. One hundred were marked as classified, even though one of Trump's lawyers had previously said all records with classified markings had been returned to the government.

Smith convened grand juries in both Washington and Miami to hear evidence, but appears to have decided to bring the case in the politically competitive state of Florida, rather than the U.S. capital, where any jury would likely be heavily Democratic.

Legal experts say that could head off a drawn-out legal challenge from Trump's team over the proper venue. Under federal law, defendants have a right to be charged where the activity in question took place.

"The center of gravity is clearly Florida," said Robert Luskin, a Washington lawyer who has represented senior government figures.

"Miami, the Southern District of Florida, is known to be a rocket docket. They move cases quickly.

Trump will certainly file preliminary motions trying to get this indictment dismissed. I think we should expect that.
He will try to position them so that they can be appealed to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in advance of a trial.

But the important thing about the 11th circuit, which is deeply conservative, is that it has already considered the former president’s delayed tactics twice and rejected them. In other words, Trump’s credibility is shot in this circuit. He will have to come in with legitimate legal arguments. To the extent that he does not have them, he will be in serious trouble."

- Joyce Vance, former United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama

BBM. Many Americans are conservative, but I doubt many will want to elect a delusional, corrupt man to be President.

JMO

Saudi Arabia would be my bet. Don't forget that weird $2 billion deal that Jared Kushner got (Kashoggi related?). And don't forget that recently the news was on a missing document pertaining to an attack plan on Iran.

CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics/donald-trump-iran-subpoena
You could be right. How many golf/country clubs does Trump own?
jmo

Donald Trump's attorney Jim Trusty confirmed Thursday night that the former president has been charged with seven counts – and revealed that the charges “break out from an Espionage Act charge.

"It does have some language in it that suggests what the seven charges would be. Not 100% clear that all of those are separate charges, but they basically break out from an Espionage Act charge," he told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins.

Trusty called the espionage charge “ludicrous,” and added that there are also “several obstruction-based-type charges and then false statement charges.”

He said his team did not get a copy of the indictment but instead received a summons via email.

“One part of the [Espionage] act, first passed by Congress during World War I, that could surface in a Trump indictment is 18 USC 793(e). Carrying a 10-year possible sentence, it prohibits people from, among other things, unauthorized possession of national defense-related documents that are willfully retained and not delivered to the government officer or employee entitled to receive them.

“In Trump’s potential case, the National Archives and Records Administration was entitled to receive the records Trump kept at Mar-a-Lago and failed to deliver. That section of the Espionage Act wouldn’t require Trump, for example, to share the documents with a foreign government in order to be charged.”

- Jordan Rubin, former prosecutor for the New York County District Attorney’s Office in Manhattan

RSBM

He said his team did not get a copy of the indictment but instead received a summons via email.

I think that ties in with what I heard about this potentially being a Speaking Indictment. The charges and probable cause/proof will all be laid out in spoken testimony at (presumably) the first court hearing. A speaking indictment apparently goes into more depth than a written indictment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member