FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts to classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

'What if we don't play ball?' Why Trump indictment is so damaging​

While leading Republicans dismiss it as a political prosecution, some legal experts insist the indictment sets out a strong case.

"It's a slam dunk," Diana Florence, a former prosecutor in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, told the BBC.

"Here's why: It's got everything. It's got videos. It's got recorded conversations. It's got lower level employees who are testifying."

Here are some of the key revelations, and why they could be damaging.

Missing documents included nuclear secrets

[...]

Trump showed US military plans to visitors

[...]

Trump asked his lawyer: 'What if we don't play ball with them?'

[...]

What's in the Trump indictment: US nuclear secrets and files kept in shower​

Prosecutors say Mr Trump tried to obstruct the FBI inquiry into the missing documents by suggesting that his lawyer "hide or destroy" them, or tell investigators he did not have them.

"Wouldn't it be better if we just told them we don't have anything here?" Mr Trump said to one of his attorneys, according to the indictment.

Mr Trump's first court appearance in the case will be in Miami, Florida, on Tuesday - the eve of his 77th birthday.

1686351385324.png
Files were stored in a ballroom at Donald Trump's Florida property, Mar-a-Lago

1686351417599.png
The indictment included images of files stored in a shower

NATIONAL ARCHIVES​

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Presidential Records and the Presidential Records Act
Media Alert ·Friday, June 9, 2023​

Summary of the day so far​

Here’s a quick recap of today’s developments:

• Former US president Donald Trump faces 37 counts in connection with keeping hundreds of classified documents in his possession after leaving the White House, according to a 49-page federal indictment unsealed Friday afternoon.
  • Trump twice disclosed national security information in separate incidents in 2021 and took steps to retain classified documents that he knew he could not keep because they had been subpoenaed by the justice department, the indictment reads.
  • The former president also hoarded materials of the highest sensitivity after he left the White House, including documents on US nuclear programmes, potential military vulnerabilities of the US and allies, and plans for US retaliation in the event of an attack, it says.
  • Special counsel Jack Smith, who is leading the Mar-a-Lago documents case, said in a brief remarks Friday that his office intended to seek “a speedy trial” against Trump, adding that was “consistent with the public interest”. However, Smith did not say exactly when a trial may be possible.
  • In addition, the indictment named Trump’s former valet, Walt Nauta, as a co-defendant, alleging that he entered into a conspiracy with Trump to obstruct justice, withheld documents or records, corruptly concealed documents in a federal investigation, engaged in a scheme to conceal and made false statements.
  • Trump is expected to surrender himself to authorities in Miami on Tuesday at 3pm ET. Posting on Truth Social, Trump announced he would be represented by defence lawyer Todd Blanche, while his attorneys Jim Trusty and John Rowley released a statement to say that they had quit working for him.
  • A federal judge appointed by Trump who last year drew scrutiny for a ruling that was seen as deferential to the former president may oversee proceedings in the case over his possession of classified documents, a source familiar with the summons told the Guardian.

That didn’t take long. It will go worse on them than the last one.
Where’s Jr. been hiding?

Unfortunately, Jr is getting ready for his upcoming speaking tour in Australia ... because "it’s clear the same disease of woke identity politics and cancel culture that’s crippled the US has clearly taken hold there".

Donald Trump Jr. plans speaking tour in Australia to address controversial topics

He is going to need to be very careful, if he wants to come here. Other people's visas have been cancelled or not approved because they have wanted to come here and try to cause trouble.

US 'pick-up artist' Julien Blanc forced to leave Australia after visa cancelled
Australia cancels Milo Yiannopoulos's visa after Christchurch comments

Last edited:
I can't begin to imagine how any lawyer is going to defend these charges. I mean, DT can cry (or CAPS LOCK) 'witch hunt' as much as he wants, but 'witch hunt' is probably not an accepted defense to an Espionage charge.

<modsnip: No source link>

Just want to add a link for the previously unlinked speculation that DT may try to cut a deal ....

"Given the strength of the case as I know it, I suspect there would be a real attempt on the part of the defense to try to cut a deal, such that you would minimize the amount of time that the defendant would serve in jail, the amount of money that he might have to pay."
- Former Attorney General Eric Holder

Unfortunately we have people elected to congress who are using such dangerous, violent war rhetoric, too.

Rep Andy Biggs:

We have now reached a war phase.

Eye for an eye.

Rep Clay Higgins:

President Trump said he has "been summoned to appear at the Federal Courthouse in Miami on Tuesday, at 3 PM."

This is a perimeter probe from the oppressors. Hold. rPOTUS has this.

Buckle up. 1/50K know your bridges. Rock steady calm. That is all.

Google "1/50K know your bridges". See what comes up. Essentially he's hinting at more insurrection.

Joyce White Vance on Aileen Cannon as possible judge:

I don't know how to make the thread appear...

I can see the whole thread when I click on the link.

So, basically Joyce is saying that Cannon will/should recuse herself, and if she doesn't the DOJ will take it to the appellate court and will win ... have a different judge assigned.

That is good to hear.

Did you notice that DJT is using his typical mob intimidation tactics? Naming special counsel Jack Smith's wife in one of his latest tirades?

As far as I'm concerned it's scholastic terrorism & witness intimidation. He wants his minions to attack those he names in his posts, painting figurative targets on their backs. He wants his minions to harass, bully, threaten or even commit crimes for him, in my opinion.

I hope such rants can be used as evidence against him.

I can see the whole thread when I click on the link.

So, basically Joyce is saying that Cannon will/should recuse herself, and if she doesn't the DOJ will take it to the appellate court and will win ... have a different judge assigned.

That is good to hear.
The sooner this judge is off the case the better.

As we noted earlier, the federal judge initially put in place to oversee this criminal case against Trump was appointed by him and has acted favorably to him in the past. Aileen Cannon, a former prosecutor who ruled in Trump’s favor last year during the investigation – temporarily stalling the FBI’s probe – could significantly shape the outcome.

As the Washington Post reports, Cannon could be the decider on whether Trump goes to trial before next November’s election, what evidence can be heard, and what counts or motions are included.

Nominated by Trump in 2020, she was confirmed with help from Democrats (12 Democratic Senators voted in her favor to be exact) and has been on the bench for less than two years. The Post notes that she joined the conservative Federalist Society in law school, commenting that she agreed with “the limited role of the judiciary to say what the law is — not to make the law,” during her confirmation hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!