FL FL - Fort Lauderdale, WhtMale 1176UMFL, 21-30, 'US Paratrooper' tattoo, May'84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was hoping to get some attention from people looking at missing persons from that decade.
Thanks for clarifying. I look at a lot of cases, but nothing jumps out at me here. I'm thinking he wasn't reported missing, or was under reported.

I was hoping to get some attention from people looking at missing persons from that decade.

They do! The ages are pretty far off though :(
The ages are only 3 years apart. 15 year old missing boy and John Doe estimated age is 18-25. I submitted to Namus and they said they will have their committee review the match.

They do! The ages are pretty far off though :(
The ages are only 3 years apart. 15 year old missing boy and John Doe estimated age is 18-25. I submitted to Namus and they said they will have their committee review the match.

The people who found this boy probably assumed he was over 18 because of the military tattoos, but in reality he could have just been a boy almost 16 years old who was biding his time until he could get into the military. I think it is a match.

Last edited:
The people who found this boy probably assumed he was over 18 because of the military tattoos, but in reality he could have just been a boy almost 16 years old who was biding his time until he could get into the military. I think it is a match.
There have been cases where the doe has been much younger that first thought. The one case that comes to mind is the Daytona boy from 1972 they thought he was around 20 but revisited the case again years later to bring his age down to being around 14.

Is there any record of the missing person having tattoos? Those are distinguishing features, and I would hope they'd be mentioned in his case file if he had them.

Is there any record of the missing person having tattoos? Those are distinguishing features, and I would hope they'd be mentioned in his case file if he had them.
No but he could have gotten the tattoos after he ran away from that group home. Whoever picked him up hitchhiking could have given them to him. He disappeared in March too - hello Spring Break Fort Lauderdale.

Last edited:
No but he could have gotten the tattoos after he ran away from that group home. Whoever picked him up hitchhiking could have given them to him. He disappeared in March too - hello Spring Break Fort Lauderdale.
True, he could have obtained them between his disappearance and when the remains were found, and I knew you were going to say that. However, investigators would have been able to tell *approximately* if they were new or old the tattoos. Maybe not exact times, but there's a big difference between a fresh tattoo and an older one. And, in order for the missing person to have obtained them after he went missing, these would have been obviously new tattoos, given the short time span between disappearance and discovery. Maybe a tattoo artist or expert can weigh in here. I'm only going by my and my friends' and family's experiences with getting them. It took a few weeks for mine to heal and settle down.

You really have to wonder sometimes why some people like this guy become Does. He seems readily identifiable, but has never been. He doesn't seem to have been reported missing, at least not in that area. He may not have been local and ended up living in Florida because of the military for example. His family may not have known his exact whereabouts and reported him missing where they lived and then the report got lost or something. One would think someone would have known where he was that day. But maybe he had issues after he got out of the military ( if that's his story) and isolated himself or something. I hope he's identified one day.

Why can't Florida law enforcement/detectives on cold cases do a DNA analysis and identify this man? Is it because he drowned and is not a victim of homicide?
I believe they don't have DNA for this set of remains. Last I knew, his dna profile was listed as insufficient for sampling. I'm going from memory, from when they stopped listing DNA status on NamUs.
Doe Network lists him as having dental records and fingerprints, DNA status unknown.
I recall emailing the coroner/ME for this case shortly after Marcia King was identified, in hopes they'd go digging through any evidence they had to find something they could do a DNA test on, like an old vial of preserved blood (how they got a usable DNA sample for forensic genetic genealogy for Marcia), hair, bone, etc.
Never heard back.

I emailed the contact for Howard Shizue Takanaka Jr to see what tattoo he had. Howard is a US Army veteran 25TH Infantry in Hawaii (Tropical Lightning) and his physical description is lining up.
There is a family tree in Ancestry that says that Howard Takenaka Birth Date: 8 Sep 1957 "disappeared with no trace while driving from Wisconsin to Florida" but in 1980.
This seems like such a solid lead. I sincerely hope that someone is doing due diligence on this possible match. Of all the proposed matches I've seen on UID forums, this one is the most promising/likely based on the lining up of stats and circumstances.

In honor of Memorial Day weekend, let's bump this case to the top.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic
Back