FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Circuit Judge Robert Wheeler scheduled the April 29, during a case management conference Friday morning at the Leon County Courthouse. Jury selection will start April 24 and evidence will begin May 1.

The trial is tentatively slated to last three weeks.

The sidebar was audible. Might need some sleuthers here to get a full picture but my takeaways are:

1. Rashbaum raised concerns with Floridas sunshine laws and media attention on the case. He will be filing a motion to have the Magbanua proffer sealed until after the trial to ensure that its release does not taint the jury pool. Said he has not seen it yet but it doesnt matter whether the proffer is good or bad for his client - that the jury pool issue is the same.
2. Cappleman confirmed that there was a video taped proffer and that they are expecting additional proffers/statements (could be Magbanua or others) as a result of the investigation stemming from her first proffer.
3. Cappleman confirmed that Magbanua is represented by Christopher Decoste and mentioned that some details are still waiting his approval. Whatever that means. No mention of Tara Kawass though.
3. Judge Wheeler said that Rashbaum could file an anticipatory motion now to have it sealed and that Rashbaum could follow up with a written motion and the case law. Said he would not want to have to rule on it between now and the end of the year. Cappleman signaled that she didnt think they would be able to get it accomplished (ie., whether the proffer was finalized) before the end of the year anyway.

Good news: Magbanau proffer must have uncovered some new lines of investigation.
Bad news: We may not get it until AFTER Charlies trial. Doesnt sound like Cappleman or Judge Wheeler were opposed to sealing it. So we may need outside intervention (i.e., Mentour Lawyer or some other media companies) to object to it being sealed.

Last edited:
Law and Crime wrong again. Jury selection to begin on 4/24. Yesterday they said judge was gonna decide sentence (which they corrected a few minutes later but still- how hard was it to report accurately after you JUST watched the judge admonish jury and tell them the punishment phase would begin next) when it was clear jury would. Smh.
Yeah, what's with them?!

The sidebar was audible. Might need some sleuthers here to get a full picture but my takeaways are:

1. Rashbaum will be filing a motion to have the Magbanua proffer sealed to ensure that its release does not taint the jury pool. Said he has not seen it yet.
2. Cappleman confirmed that there was a video taped proffer and that they are expecting additional proffers (could be Magbanua or others) as a result of the investigation stemming from her first proffer.
3. Wheeler signaled that Rashbaum could file a anticipatory motion to have it sealed and that he could rule on it before the end of the year.

Good news: Magbanau proffer must have uncovered some new lines of investigation.
Bad news: We may not get it before Charlies trial.
Much gratitude for the succinct summary.

1. Rashbaum raised concerns with Floridas sunshine laws and media attention on the case. He will be filing a motion to have the Magbanua proffer sealed until after the trial to ensure that its release does not taint the jury pool. Said he has not seen it yet but it doesnt matter whether the proffer is good or bad for his client - that the jury pool issue is the same.
2. Cappleman confirmed that there was a video taped proffer and that they are expecting additional proffers/statements (could be Magbanua or others) as a result of the investigation stemming from her first proffer.
3. Cappleman confirmed that Magbanua is represented by Christopher Decoste and mentioned that some details are still waiting his approval. Whatever that means. No mention of Tara Kawass though.
3. Judge Wheeler said that Rashbaum could file an anticipatory motion now to have it sealed and that Rashbaum could follow up with a written motion and the case law. Said he would not want to have to rule on it between now and the end of the year. Cappleman signaled that she didnt think they would be able to get it accomplished (ie., whether the proffer was finalized) before the end of the year anyway.

Bad news: We may not get it until AFTER Charlies trial. Doesnt sound like Cappleman or Judge Wheeler were opposed to sealing it. So we may need outside intervention (i.e., Mentour Lawyer or some other media companies) to object to it being sealed.

Thank you for this! So it looks like Katie will remain in Leon County for at least the end of the year. Wonder what's going on in Charlie's mind, about that/those proffers...

Thank you! Hmmm we don’t have to wait until the trial is over to hear the proffer. KM’s proffer has to implicate Charlie, which means she will testify at his trial.

If Katie does not have any worthwhile information to share, once the two sides start talking, is there an official proffer with documentation? Or does the government determine what as provided does not have enough corroborating evidence and there is no proffer, and no opportunity for change in sentencing, and no information shared with the defense?

Did anyone else find Daniel Rashbaum's comment yesterday "the prison has been terrific!" right in front of Charlie a little....bizarre?

I bet it's not been so terrific for Charlie! I mean helpful, cooperative, even "good to deal with."

But "terrific?"

It did kind of make me laugh though.

Did anyone else find Daniel Rashbaum's comment yesterday "the prison has been terrific!" right in front of Charlie a little....bizarre?

I bet it's not been so terrific for Charlie! I mean helpful, cooperative, even "good to deal with."

But "terrific?"

I've not listened and don't know the context of DR's comment but I think counsel probably wanted to go on record that the defense was no longer having any issues communicating with their client or exchanging volumes of docs. I recall they'd earlier been on record citing a laundry list of issues including an alleged policy where all of the docs had to first be copied and provide the inmate only the copies. JMO

I've not listened and don't know the context of DR's comment but I think counsel probably wanted to go on record that the defense was no longer having any issues communicating with their client or exchanging volumes of docs. I recall they'd earlier been on record citing a laundry list of issues including an alleged policy where all of the docs had to first be copied and provide the inmate only the copies. JMO

Yes he said the prison and the State have both been "terrific" about helping them with those things. He was pretty effusive about it too. Terrific! It was before he proclaimed he didn't really need his crutches, then proceeded to awkwardly use them to walk the few steps up to the bench, while it appeared (to me) he was actually putting MORE weight on his affected foot using them. He's doing a very different dance than KM's attorneys did in court.

Wendi - The Owl T-Shirt: Jewish Folklore, Lilith. Symbol: Owl. There are multiple origin stories for Lilith but the most popular history told views Lilith as the first wife of Adam. According to the "first Eve" story Lilith was created by God from dust and placed to live in the garden with Adam until problems arose between Adam and Lilith when Adam tried to exercise dominance over Lilith. One story tells that Lilith refused to lay beneath Adam during sex. She believed they were created equal, both from the dust of the earth, thus she should not have to lay beneath him. After Adam disagreed, Lilith fled the Garden of Eden to gain her independence. Lilith is often embraced by feminists as a symbol of independence.

In a case comprising many layers, it is interesting that owls appear at least twice. Once, the photo uploaded by Luis Rivera (and ordered removed by Kati Magbanua) and twice, the owl emblazoned on Wendi's shirt during her police interview.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 02-07-22 Lilith owl - Google Search.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 02-07-22 Lilith owl - Google Search.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

But "terrific?"

Yep. Very strange. Like DR and Charlie have accepted their fate.

I thought the more interesting part of that statement was his use of the word "prison." Prisons are run by the state and house convicts sentenced to longer than a year. Jails are run by counties and hold people waiting for trial or sentenced to a year or less. CA is not in a prison, he's in Leon County Jail. He won't go to a prison unless he's convicted. Rashbaum knows this. Interesting misuse.

I thought the more interesting part of that statement was his use of the word "prison." Prisons are run by the state and house convicts sentenced to longer than a year. Jails are run by counties and hold people waiting for trial or sentenced to a year or less. CA is not in a prison, he's in Leon County Jail. He won't go to a prison unless he's convicted. Rashbaum knows this. Interesting misuse.

I caught that too!

@clearskies1 - or anyone who has access - is their a court date yet for CA - they mentioned late February for one!

TIA! :)

They just set it as April 24th for Jury selection with opening statements that Friday the 28th and beginning of testimony May 1. At least for now...

Edited to add--there is a case management in February, but not sure a date has been released yet.

They just set it as April 24th for Jury selection with opening statements that Friday the 28th and beginning of testimony May 1. At least for now...

Edited to add--there is a case management in February, but not sure a date has been released yet.

Okay - I do have those other dates, just needed the one in February! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces