FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is Wendi whatsapp'd Charlie after she drove to the out-of-the-way liquor store and saw the crime scene tape or police activity near Dan's house. Charlie would have passed that on to KM. Also, police scanners are streamed online so KM or Charlie could have been listening in to those communications.

This is my suspicion as well. There is no way Wendi saw that crime scene tape and did not communicate that to the base camp. This tidbit of info, if corroborated in any way, could be the one thing that nails WA.

Unopposed Motion to prevent disclosure of all of KM's interviews until CA's trial.
Link to document:

STATE OF FLORIDA vs ADELSON, CHARLES
1/10/2023 ‹‹-Req $MOTION DEFENDANT CHARLES ADELSONS UNOPPOSED MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER
I wonder whether any news organizations will intervene to oppose this motion. Florida law is very protective of public access to material filed in court, and the intense public interest in this case noted in the motion should weigh in favor of timely public access to KM's proffer, not against it.

I wonder whether any news organizations will intervene to oppose this motion. Florida law is very protective of public access to material filed in court, and the intense public interest in this case noted in the motion should weigh in favor of timely public access to KM's proffer, not against it.
I have to believe the Tallahassee Democrat (and likely other news organizations and public groups) will oppose the motion and I agree with you that Florida law aggressively protects public access to information produced through discovery. The case is so high profile, though, that I believe the judge will grant the motion since the prosecution didn't oppose it. The correct decision (IMHO) would be to make it public.

I am confused by the idea of a sealed proffer. If KM's testimony is relevant to the CA trial, and is to be used in some way in this trial, wouldn't that make the sealing of her proffer redundant? I may not completely understand what a proffer is.

Rashbaum has asked to seal Katie's proffer until the conclusion of Charlie's trial and the State agreed. He must be mighty afraid of what's in it.
Wow.
I am confused by the idea of a sealed proffer. If KM's testimony is relevant to the CA trial, and is to be used in some way in this trial, wouldn't that make the sealing of her proffer redundant? I may not completely understand what a proffer is.
I am confused as well. Will KM be able to testify against him for the State? It’s just all the charges against everyone are so intertwined.

A proffer is a transcribed interview under oath and under Florida law it must be provided to the defendant's counsel (just as ANY statements or other relevant evidence must be disclosed to defense counsel before trial). Development of this evidence before trial is called "discovery" and Florida is arguably the single state having the most liberal "sunshine" laws that require ALL discovery must be made public. This is the default for Florida trials so it ordinarily would be made available to anyone requesting it as soon as it is filed with the court. In this case, however, the defense has cited Florida Freedom Newspapers vs McCrary for the proposition that a court MAY seal discovery if it is the only way to avoid aggravating excessive pretrial publicity.

Thus, the only question here is whether making the proffer public would generate excessive pretrial publicity that could potentially damage Charlie's right to a fair trial. In the McCray case the press was trying to get interviews of jail officials in a case that included rather sensational claims of mistreatment of inmates. The court held an in camera inspection of the interviews in chambers and decided that, yep, the interviews would generate a lot of press and, thus, sealed the materials until trial. I believe the court here will probably make the same ruling because anything Katie said would definitely generate a lot of interest and attention.

On the other hand, I can also see the press has a pretty good argument that there have been two trials in which the Adelsons were unabashedly named as conspirators by both the state and the defense. Moreover, there are podcasts and tons of material already in the public record pointing fingers at Charlie, so I would make the argument that the proffer would not meaningfully alter the dynamics of the upcoming trial.

Wow.

I am confused as well. Will KM be able to testify against him for the State? It’s just all the charges against everyone are so intertwined.
Yes, Katie will most certainly be permitted to testify against him for the state if they choose to call her to the stand. That is why the law requires the state to turn over the proffer to Charlie's lawyers -- so they can prepare for her likely appearance as a witness for the state.

A proffer is a transcribed interview under oath and under Florida law it must be provided to the defendant's counsel (just as ANY statements or other relevant evidence must be disclosed to defense counsel before trial). Development of this evidence before trial is called "discovery" and Florida is arguably the single state having the most liberal "sunshine" laws that require ALL discovery must be made public. This is the default for Florida trials so it ordinarily would be made available to anyone requesting it as soon as it is filed with the court. In this case, however, the defense has cited Florida Freedom Newspapers vs McCrary for the proposition that a court MAY seal discovery if it is the only way to avoid aggravating excessive pretrial publicity.

Thus, the only question here is whether making the proffer public would generate excessive pretrial publicity that could potentially damage Charlie's right to a fair trial. In the McCray case the press was trying to get interviews of jail officials in a case that included rather sensational claims of mistreatment of inmates. The court held an in camera inspection of the interviews in chambers and decided that, yep, the interviews would generate a lot of press and, thus, sealed the materials until trial. I believe the court here will probably make the same ruling because anything Katie said would definitely generate a lot of interest and attention.

On the other hand, I can also see the press has a pretty good argument that there have been two trials in which the Adelsons were unabashedly named as conspirators by both the state and the defense. Moreover, there are podcasts and tons of material already in the public record pointing fingers at Charlie, so I would make the argument that the proffer would not meaningfully alter the dynamics of the upcoming trial.
I can see how this proffer might generate enough chatter to influence a juror. I also get why the prosecution would agree to this request. But why is the defense asking that it is sealed until the conclusion of the trial? Wouldn't KM's testimony reveal the substance of the proffer once on the witness stand?

I can see how this proffer might generate enough chatter to influence a juror. I also get why the prosecution would agree to this request. But why is the defense asking that it is sealed until the conclusion of the trial? Wouldn't KM's testimony reveal the substance of the proffer once on the witness stand?
IMO, there isn't anything in that proffer by KM that CA isn't already aware of and the defense probably wants to keep it out of the public as long as possible. They're not chomping at the bit to see it -- they have CA to clue them in!

And of course, their client is only speculating about what allegations KM may have made-- based on his knowledge of his one-time GF and her personality. :rolleyes:

Yes, but the document itself may have details not revealed through her testimony. She may say many things not admissible at trial, so the request to keep the proffer sealed until after the trial makes sense.

From the Unopposed Motion, first paragraph:
. . . through the conclusion of her testimony at trial should she be called to testify or, if not, through the conclusion of trial. . .

Release of the proffer would create a new wave of publicity close to the trial date. Unlike us, the public has largely forgotten about the case. In the absence of new sensational media coverage it will be much easier to find jurors without firm opinions. Waiting a few months to see the details is a small price to pay for justice.

As the countdown to finalizing prosecution of all involved and the level of desperation ratchets up, I am reminded of Josh Powell. I can't get it out of my head. Just my opinion, but also a fear.
While Josh Powell was not short on arrogance, unlike the Adelsons, he was short on finances. Generally, I think it rare that suspects with money intentionally blow up their homes while sitting inside. Or take a hatchet to their children. JMO

KM is still in Leon County jail since two months ago NOV 22, 2022.
It's three months until CA's trial APR 24, 2023.
Perhaps KM is testifying to the Grand Jury regarding other co-conspirators?
Therefore, it seems efficient to keep KM in county jail rather than ongoing transport to/from state prison.

Displays Inmates Currently In Custody

PhotoFull NameLast Arrest DateLast Release DateIn Jail?Charge(s)Arresting Agency
DisplayJISLargeImage.aspx
MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D
View Detail
11/22/202208/04/2022Y*MURDER-FIRST DEGREE, *CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MURDER, *SOLICITATION TO COMMIT MURDER, *DOC HOLD FOR LOWELL CILEON COUNTY SHERIFF TALLAHASSEE

KM is still in Leon County jail since two months ago NOV 22, 2022.
It's three months until CA's trial APR 24, 2023.
Perhaps KM is testifying to the Grand Jury regarding other co-conspirators?
Therefore, it seems efficient to keep KM in county jail rather than ongoing transport to/from state prison.

Displays Inmates Currently In Custody

PhotoFull NameLast Arrest DateLast Release DateIn Jail?Charge(s)Arresting Agency
DisplayJISLargeImage.aspx
MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D
View Detail
11/22/202208/04/2022Y*MURDER-FIRST DEGREE, *CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MURDER, *SOLICITATION TO COMMIT MURDER, *DOC HOLD FOR LOWELL CILEON COUNTY SHERIFF TALLAHASSEE
Compared to her former glum mugshots, this new one seems rather jolly. Good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid