GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, that was the entire problem with the TV alibi to begin with. TV's are not worth repairing and are easily replaced. It sort of shows the arrogance the family had. They never thought anyone would dig deep enough to question why someone, especially someone with her level of wealth, would opt for a TV repair instead of a replacement. But for a lazy alibi it works out--TV's can be easily broken in a way that raises less suspicion. While a/cs and ovens, for example, aren't as easily broken by a lay person without raising the suspicions from the tech that it was sabotage.

Their other problem was they couldn't break a household appliance without the landlord being in charge of the repair. Otherwise, thinking about it now, a broken glass oven door would have worked out better. And it's something that doesn't require technical knowledge to break it without it looking like sabotage. And they are worth repairing usually.
Also, why does she even need an alibi? She didn’t have gunshot residue on her hands and most likely would’ve been ruled out as the shooter fairly quickly, since she wasn’t the actual shooter. The TV repair guy was only there until 9am. The whole thing is weird.

The one possibility that could change this is if CA flips and sells out his family. He's got no cards left to play and will die in jail assuming no relief on appeal (which is vanishingly unlikely--the trial was immaculately conducted). But it could be that he flips to get a better situation within the prison system or because he's a bitter angry dick who doesn't want to be the only one of the family to bear the cost of their crime.

I'm more bullish on CA selling out than others, but even I think it's less than 50% likely.
Yeah if I were to be hopeful about it - maaaayyybe I can see CA stewing in prison for a couple years and seeing that Donna and Wendi just don’t seem to care all that much about him. They don’t visit often. They don’t write often etc. And they seem to be ready to move on. His appeals are denied. If that happens, CA might have a revelation.

Yeah if I were to be hopeful about it - maaaayyybe I can see CA stewing in prison for a couple years and seeing that Donna and Wendi just don’t seem to care all that much about him. They don’t visit often. They don’t write often etc. And they seem to be ready to move on. His appeals are denied. If that happens, CA might have a revelation.

Isn't it a mandatory LWOP sentence for his murder conviction? I'm not sure I see why turning on Mommy would change that for him unless the state has latitude with that post conviction. I also think it likely he serves his sentence in an out of state prison so family visitations may be very limited in any case.

Also, why does she even need an alibi? She didn’t have gunshot residue on her hands and most likely would’ve been ruled out as the shooter fairly quickly, since she wasn’t the actual shooter. The TV repair guy was only there until 9am. The whole thing is weird.
It is weird, no doubt
But just so we can keep the timings correct

In the tape she said the repair guy was there til around 10am ( she also said that he called her at 8, but didn't say when he arrived on the tape afaik)

'It showed Markel’s car pull into the parking lot at 9:12 a.m., followed by a green Prius. Surveillance video shows Markel walking into the gym wearing a red shirt and leaving a little more than an hour later at 10:33 a.m.'

Initially I wondered if the family would have to pay for his protection. Payments from families of rich inmates is definitely a thing.
But I realised that Charlie is still loaded so he'll have to pay himself. ( That reduces the leverage his family has over him)

BTW I've forgotten the name of the SM account which keeps a check on his visits etc. Anybody remember the name? ( We might get to hear whether DA or WA ever visit him.)

Isn't it a mandatory LWOP sentence for his murder conviction? I'm not sure I see why turning on Mommy would change that for him unless the state has latitude with that post conviction. I also think it likely he serves his sentence in an out of state prison so family visitations may be very limited in any case.
It seems like KM could get some type of relief from the state for her cooperation and she also has LWOP. When asked what that relief might be Georgia Cappelman said she will need to discuss it with her boss. She didn’t say there’s nothing the state can offer her cause she has LWOP. JMO

It is weird, no doubt
But just so we can keep the timings correct

In the tape she said the repair guy was there til around 10am ( she also said that he called her at 8, but didn't say when he arrived on the tape afaik)

'It showed Markel’s car pull into the parking lot at 9:12 a.m., followed by a green Prius. Surveillance video shows Markel walking into the gym wearing a red shirt and leaving a little more than an hour later at 10:33 a.m.'
I was thinking usually a repair person gives you a window, so I guess maybe the repair would theoretically give you a reason to be home for the whole window, hypothetically.

Last edited:
CA may have been so confident of getting away with this crime he never fled and he never protected assets from civil suit - ie trust.

CA's house must be eerily quiet and dark inside right now. Frozen in time since the arrest exactly as he left it. And the grounds are overgrown with weeds and the grotto pool has turned green with neglect.

Last edited:
By the way, Lawyer You Know speculated that Donna/Harvey/Wendi were likely advised by lawyers not to show up in court. Not just for the circus like atmosphere it would create but to dispel the notion or image of this mafia family. That they’re there in court to throw their weight around kinda perception. Or that the family that kills together stays together (this is my interpretation of what he meant). It kinda made sense to me. JMO

I was thinking usually a repair person gives you a window, so I guess maybe the alibi would theoretically give you a reason to be home for the whole window, hypothetically. Of course, this guy got there at the beginning of the window. But, hypothetically, if you happened to be on a long phone call after he left that you could corroborate...
I think he did give her a window when he called her but she didn't specify it in the interview. I can't be bothered to watch it again to find the time stamps - we ought to have done a transcript of it years ago

Anyway

In the scenario we're discussing - where WA is a conspirator - that doesn't necessarily mean that she knew exactly what time the hit would happen. ( That's why I included refs to gym. Car park. But in reality the killers could've followed him elsewhere later in the day or done the hit inside the house in the afternoon - SG had already been to rear of property previously)
Wendy seemed to have blocked out her morning too - she had all kinds of 'receipts.'

The TV repair is very weird because the exact moment of murder was outside of the conspirators control. ( entering gym car park, exiting gym, inside the house, on an afternoon trip later?)

We've all got a good idea of how the three Adelsons tick now. We can see that they seem to enjoy elaborate games, intricate plots and think they're very smart. I tend towards viewing the TV repair as a kind of twisted Adelson conspirators' in-joke which would also cover WA & CA's calls that morning.
CA gifted the TV. She was quick to tell Isom she'd needed to ask the gift-giver how he felt about a fix or replace. ( + recall CA just claimed he only spoke to WA once a week)

As many more objective people said years ago, the whole WA performance for Isom was bizarre. ( tbc I mean people who are more objective than me)

Last edited:
It seems like KM could get some type of relief from the state for her cooperation and she also has LWOP. When asked what that relief might be Georgia Cappelman said she will need to discuss it with her boss. She didn’t say there’s nothing the state can offer her cause she has LWOP. JMO

Good point, thanks Weki. :)

I think he did give her a window when he called her but she didn't specify it in the interview. I can't be bothered to watch it again to find the time stamps - we ought to have done a transcript of it years ago

Anyway

In the scenario we're discussing - where WA is a conspirator - that doesn't necessarily mean that she knew exactly what time the hit would happen. ( That's why I included refs to gym. Car park. But in reality the killers could've followed him elsewhere later in the day or done the hit inside the house in the afternoon - SG had already been to rear of property previously)
Wendy seemed to have blocked out her morning too - she had all kinds of 'receipts.'

The TV repair is very weird because the exact moment of murder was outside of the conspirators control. ( entering gym car park, exiting gym, inside the house, on an afternoon trip later?)

We've all got a good idea of how the three Adelsons tick now. We can see that they seem to enjoy elaborate games, intricate plots and think they're very smart. I tend towards viewing the TV repair as a kind of twisted Adelson conspirators' in-joke which would also cover WA & CA's calls that morning.
CA gifted the TV. She was quick to tell Isom she'd needed to ask the gift-giver how he felt about a fix or replace. ( + recall CA just claimed he only spoke to WA once a week)

As many more objective people said years ago, the whole WA performance for Isom was bizarre. ( tbc I mean people who are more objective than me)
It is bizarre to me the more I think about it. On the surface it makes you think that there is no way someone so distraught, who talks for so long and says so much, could know anything about this. He is the father of her children, anyone would be upset of course. But in my opinion a mother in that situation hypothetically would likely be less affected than the children, as she has a different relationship with the deceased than they do. She might be sad for them, yes, but not for herself. Admittedly, I haven’t known or read about too many people who have lost their exes. According to her testimony at trial, the emotional upheaval served as a justification for needing to move closer to the parents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member