GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentour Lawyer is talking about a motion by the defense to interview jurors. Apparently one of the alternates contacted defense counsel after the verdict and said there was a juror group chat! The implication is that the jurors were discussing the case prior to all the evidence being submitted. Ugh. I hate this crap! This must be the juror dubbed “Businessman” by @katiecoolady

Edited to add: Why don’t these jurors come forward DURING THE TRIAL??? I can’t stand these jury snitches coming forward after the verdict to cast doubt on the validity of the verdict! These are the high conflict attention seeking jurors that should never be selected! They just create unnecessary chaos! /end rant

Today Rashbaum filed this motion to permit him to interview the jurors in this case. His motion states that he received an email from one of the alternate jurors, who told him about an apparent group chat among the jurors. Rashbaum wants to interview the jurors about this apparent group chat to determine whether they engaged in improper deliberations outside the jury room, which could potentially constitute grounds for challenging the verdict. The motion notes that the prosecution opposes this request for the defense to interview the jurors.

Attachments

• juror.pdf
    226.7 KB · Views: 40
It might have suited prosecutors in trial 3 (and Wendi herself 2014-23 ) to paint Wendi as compliant, as a victim and without adult agency but think that most can see she is formidable. Formidable whether as a witness, an adversary or strategist.

ETA some old quotes:

2014 statement from Wendi’s lawyer
"She's a basket case, she's totally, totally shocked over what happened," said Adelson's lawyer, Jimmy Judkins. "Gone from having children with two parents to children with one parent with no warning.
"She's scared to death for her children. She's scared to death for herself." Mystery surrounds murder of FSU law professor
-----
The theme of Judkin’s narrative was very much similar to WA’s comments in her own writing class exercise ( the podcast)
Why ….I should be treated like a murder suspect and not the mother of two fatherless boys?
----
'Danny used to tell me that everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one that knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him'
https://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/the-murder-of-dan-markel-wendi-adelson-speaks-part-3/
Interesting

Last edited:
Mentour Lawyer is talking about a motion by the defense to interview jurors. Apparently one of the alternates contacted defense counsel after the verdict and said there was a juror group chat! The implication is that the jurors were discussing the case prior to all the evidence being submitted. Ugh. I hate this crap! This must be the juror dubbed “Businessman” by @katiecoolady

Edited to add: Why don’t these jurors come forward DURING THE TRIAL??? I can’t stand these jury snitches coming forward after the verdict to cast doubt on the validity of the verdict! These are the high conflict attention seeking jurors that should never be selected! They just create unnecessary chaos! /end rant
Didn’t happen, or this person would have mentioned it before. There may be a group chat he found out about, but I doubt they discussed the trial.

ETA - is this the same guy who was all about noting to the court how the audience was behaving? And he wouldn’t mention this?

Last edited:
So, does Wendy get to spend the rest of her life carefree with no
consequences?? that is infuriating!!!!

Well, she's effectively lost her brother forever and has to think about his misery in prison. Her mom is likely living under constant fear and anxiety about getting a knock on the door from LE. And she claimed in the trial that this had negative effects on her professional life. Finally, she will have to accept that as her sons get older, they'll arrive at their own conclusions about what happened, including them perhaps being used in the story, supposedly breaking the TV set. ("I think the kids threw something at it", said Wendi.). I'd call all of this a heavy mental burden and not carefree.

Well, she's effectively lost her brother forever and has to think about his misery in prison. Her mom is likely living under constant fear and anxiety about getting a knock on the door from LE. And she claimed in the trial that this had negative effects on her professional life. Finally, she will have to accept that as her sons get older, they'll arrive at their own conclusions about what happened, including them perhaps being used in the story, supposedly breaking the TV set. ("I think the kids threw something at it", said Wendi.). I'd call all of this a heavy mental burden and not carefree.
Charlie actually said on the stand “you’ll have to ask Lincoln” about that.

Didn’t happen, or this person would have mentioned it before. There may be a group chat he found out about, but I doubt they discussed the trial.
Interestingly he didn’t give his number to be included in the group chat. Otherwise he would know. He prob didn’t give his number because he wanted to appear like he was following the rules but if he was really concerned why not raise it right then and there with the jurors and then with the court if needed? The one time I served on a jury we had one crazy hold out. It was so infuriating because she had no real basis for holding out. Just wanted to be difficult and have control over the room. She finally relented. But we had to come in 2 additional days on a 3 day trial just to go over everything again and again.

Watching Katie’s second proffer. OMG, she doesn’t give them anything! Why is she even there? She’s saying she can’t even remember. She doesnt even know what remembering IS. She doesn’t know what they are talking about. Does she remember? She’s asking these questions that make her seem incredibly dumb. She didn’t know it was a murder. She doesn’t know how Sigfredo knew it was a murder. She doesn’t know how Charlie conveyed to Sigfredo that it was a murder. What is her deal?

Highly doubt they were discussing the case.

You get really close to your fellow jurors quickly because you’re literally talking about everything BUT the case while you’re crammed into a tiny room. One of the best parts of sitting on a jury was some of the people I met. We we’re talking about the most bizarre stuff by the end. A lot of us exchanged numbers, wasn’t a big deal.

Sounds like this guy was no fun to sit on a jury with though.

Highly doubt they were discussing the case.

You get really close to your fellow jurors quickly because you’re literally talking about everything BUT the case while you’re crammed into a tiny room. One of the best parts of sitting on a jury was some of the people I met. We we’re talking about the most bizarre stuff by the end. A lot of us exchanged numbers, wasn’t a big deal.

Sounds like this guy was no fun to sit on a jury with though.
Yeah this guy saw himself as the hall monitor. I remember the crazy juror on my jury also kept herself apart from the rest of us. And then once we had all decided on a verdict she certainly made a big appearance! It felt like she came outta nowhere!

Interestingly he didn’t give his number to be included in the group chat. Otherwise he would know. He prob didn’t give his number because he wanted to appear like he was following the rules but if he was really concerned why not raise it right then and there with the jurors and then with the court if needed? The one time I served on a jury we had one crazy hold out. It was so infuriating because she had no real basis for holding out. Just wanted to be difficult and have control over the room. She finally relented. But we had to come in 2 additional days on a 3 day trial just to go over everything again and again.
plus the possibility this oddball wasn't invited to join.... ( example 5 women jurors who want to keep in contact after the trial is finished when they can legitimately chat about their experiences. I wouldn't invite him either, many others said he'd been leering at women in gallery)

mentour lawyer has also said he's seeking jurors for interview
+ said that the latest motion was supposed to be sealed too. ML just said ' whoops!'

Richard Gabriel on STS also said yesterday, that commonly defence would search out all social media of named jurors and then trawl to see if there's any comments they ever made which they can exploit.

That weird guy everyone talked about as being ridiculously pro-defense is the one who contacted the defense for that Motion. No surprise. Sounds like he got himself on that jury with an agenda and everyone said he was pissed he didn't make it on.

This is again why its important to not interview jurors to give the defense ammunition to find something to try to overturn the verdict.

Last edited:
Watching Katie’s second proffer. OMG, she doesn’t give them anything! Why is she even there? She’s saying she can’t even remember. She doesnt even know what remembering IS. She doesn’t know what they are talking about. Does she remember? She’s asking these questions that make her seem incredibly dumb. She didn’t know it was a murder. She doesn’t know how Sigfredo knew it was a murder. She doesn’t know how Charlie conveyed to Sigfredo that it was a murder. What is her deal?
That's part 1 of the second. Did you get to the end where Bennett rewards her with a coffee? Am fascinated to see the next installment

That's part 1 of the second. Did you get to the end where Bennett rewards her with a coffee? Am fascinated to see the next installment
No, still watching it. It’s hard to watch. Is her story that she is just this person who put an envelope in her bag and then gave Sigfredo some money and didn’t know what any of it was for?

No, still watching it. It’s hard to watch. Is her story that she is just this person who put an envelope in her bag and then gave Sigfredo some money and didn’t know what any of it was for?
by the end of Part 1 she admits she knew what it was for but yes, CA seals it and warns her - implicitly - that the contents can never come back on him. gloves, saliva etc ( I assume he wanted to mitigate a risk that it might be kept & then used against him. )

BTW @amicuscurie ML has some WA depos on his platform. WA contradicts what CA testified to last week ( He actually visited WA & DM around 5 times during their marriage. Also sounds as if there may have been past argument DM & CA while at the TA home c 2009)

Last edited:
by the end of Part 1 she admits she knew what it was for but yes, CA seals it and warns her - implicitly - that the contents can never come back on him ( I assume he wanted to mitigate a risk that it might be kept & then used against him. )
Why didn’t she go with that for a defense? She met this guy Charlie, he asked her if she knew some bad guys who could rough someone up, she said yes. Later he gave her an envelope, told her not to look at it, told her to give it to the bad guys who could rough someone up. Sigfredo took it from her. (Assume Sig opens the envelope and it has a dollar amount and Dan’s name and address, but she doesn’t know.). Then one day, in July, Sigfredo tells her to get the money he was promised for roughing someone up. She goes to Charlie, he handed her some money, told her to give it to Sigfredo. I mean, it’s not great, but it’s better than no defense. It is very similar to the defense they came up with, which was that this was a deal between Charlie and Sig. Would it still be murder if she didn’t have intent?

Why didn’t she go with that for a defense? She met this guy Charlie, he asked her if she knew some bad guys who could rough someone up, she said yes. Later he gave her an envelope, told her not to look at it, told her to give it to the bad guys who could rough someone up. Sigfredo took it from her. (Assume Sig opens the envelope and it has a dollar amount and Dan’s name and address, but she doesn’t know.). Then one day, in July, Sigfredo tells her to get the money he was promised for roughing someone up. She goes to Charlie, he handed her some money, told her to give it to Sigfredo. I mean, it’s not great, but it’s better than no defense. It is very similar to the defense they came up with, which was that this was a deal between Charlie and Sig. Would it still be murder if she didn’t have intent?
Why didn’t Sig confess, take a deal that was less than life, and say Katie had nothing to do with it? He loves her so much, he didn’t want to ever incriminate her. Why didn’t he just do this? And why didnt he tell her to rat out whoever paid for it?

ETA- also, this story is inconsistent with the text from WA asking if Dan will be in town on a certain day. According to her, Charlie never knew when these trips would take place. Sig would just come to her randomly and ask for money to take a trip. And then she would ask Charlie for money. Really?

It seems like KM could get some type of relief from the state for her cooperation and she also has LWOP. When asked what that relief might be Georgia Cappelman said she will need to discuss it with her boss. She didn’t say there’s nothing the state can offer her cause she has LWOP. JMO
Out of all 4 co-defendants convicted for Dan's murder, KM received the harshest punishment because she was convicted on all three counts (murder, conspiracy, and solicitation to commit 1st degree murder).

KM received LWOP plus two additional 30 year sentences. If the state wants to drop counts 2 and 3, I'm fine with that but I don't think they should touch the murder charge and LWOP penalty. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne