FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know the unnamed witness who put LR and the gun used to kill Dan in the same place (i.e., Tallahassee motel sometime in June -- about a month before Dan murdered)? If not for these men using their phones, they'd probably never have been named as the killers of Dan! [Sorry, my WS toolbar is dead following Chrome update and I can't highlight text in the article below].

Sept 23, 2019

Documents say an unnamed witness told investigators about a meeting with Garcia and Rivera at a Tallahassee motel sometime in June, about a month before Markel was murdered at his home. The witness recalled seeing Rivera with a revolver handgun, the same kind of gun that investigators say was used in Markel's murder.

Police later found that a rental company's contracts linked Rivera to a rented green 2008 Toyota Prius, similar to the one that was seen following Markel's car. The Prius was rented out from from July 15, 2014 to the 21st. That's when investigators say Garcia and Rivera began their drive from Miami to Tallahassee for the hit.

On the 17th, Rivera and Garcia arrived in Tallahassee and checked into their West Tennessee Street motel. Documents say their both men's phones were also detected near Premier while Markel was inside, corroborating what investigators saw on surveillance video.

"Information obtained from the cellular service provide for [Rivera's number] is consistent with Rivera's handset traveling from North Miami to Tallahassee at a time consistent with having committed the murder and then immediately heading back to North Miami after the homicide," investigators wrote.

Investigators interviewed both men, neither confessing to the murder.

Garcia was arrested on May 25, 2016. On June 2, 2016, Rivera, who was already in federal custody serving time for his involvement in the Latin Kings gang, was named a co-defendant in Markel's murder.

Family ties

At first, Markel's death seemed like a random act of violence on the unsuspecting law professor.

In probable cause documents, investigators wrote that Markel didn't know Garcia and Rivera and never had any contact with them prior to his death. Because of this, investigators concluded that Garcia and Rivera were likely "enlisted" to commit the murder.

It led investigators to piece together a motive: The Adelson's "desperate desire" to relocate Wendi and the children to South Florida.

RSBM
Do we know the unnamed witness who put LR and the gun used to kill Dan in the same place (i.e., Tallahassee motel sometime in June -- about a month before Dan murdered)? If not for these men using their phones, they'd probably never have been named as the killers of Dan! [Sorry, my WS toolbar is dead following Chrome update and I can't highlight text in the article below].
Could it be Shodrick Nobles? Although I don't remember him testifying about seeing a gun.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but:

1) Where can we view the Charlie A. trial?

2) Will each day be left up / archived so that we can catch up on parts we miss?

3) Will jury selection also be broadcast? I feel like it WAS in at least one of the previous trials, using juror numbers and obviously not showing faces.

Thank you,
Friend of Dan (on behalf of myself and about 10 other friends)

Brad Hunter Oct 22, 2023
''Charlie the Dentist is a world away from his sun-kissed South Florida babes and Ferrari-owning lifestyle.
No, at this point, the prognosis could be grim for periodontist Dr. Charles Adelson.''

''It has taken nearly a decade for the investigation and legal machinations to wind its way to the finish line. It is a tale of money, murder and marital discord under the blistering Florida sun''.

''Charlie the Dentist allegedly cheated often on his later girlfriend, realtor June Umchinda. She earlier testified that Adelson’s mom, Donna, felt “haunted” by Dan Markel’s murder — and that Charlie was a nervous wreck after the sting operation was put in play.''

''Dan Markel would have turned 51 on Oct. 9. He left a lifetime of promise.''

''Ruth will return to Tallahassee once again this Fall when Wendi’s brother, Charlie Adelson, faces a jury for his alleged role as a mastermind of the conspiracy. Jury selection is set to begin in Adelson’s trial on Monday, Oct. 23 with testimony expected to begin that week.

On the evening of Wednesday, Oct. 25, Congregation Shomrei Torah will host Ruth, with co-host Midtown Reader, for a presentation and signing of the book she wrote, documenting her experiences following Dan’s murder.''

Apologies if this has already been covered, but:

1) Where can we view the Charlie A. trial?

2) Will each day be left up / archived so that we can catch up on parts we miss?

3) Will jury selection also be broadcast? I feel like it WAS in at least one of the previous trials, using juror numbers and obviously not showing faces.

Thank you,
Friend of Dan (on behalf of myself and about 10 other friends)
Welcome! You can view the trial live on Law and Crime on YouTube. Yes it will be archived. I’m not sure if they’re broadcasting jury selection. If you use Twitter, you can ask @cathyrusson she should know.

Welcome! You can view the trial live on Law and Crime on YouTube. Yes it will be archived. I’m not sure if they’re broadcasting jury selection. If you use Twitter, you can ask @cathyrusson she should know.
@Weki - I hope you will be watching and/or providing your insights! Always like them a lot in all the threads you do so with.

Monday, October 23rd:
*Jury Selection set to begin (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23. (3 to 5 days for jury sel to 10/27) @ 9a 12 Jurors & 3 alternates.
Trial set to begin on 10/31/23 or could begin earlier. (thru 11/9/23). From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm.
Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/16/23 reference post #214 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-11

10/17/23 Update: Investigative interview for Donna & Harvey Adelson on 10/17/23. Word via an inside source (who has an inside source) that they were dropped from both witness lists & did not do any interviews [per katiecoolady]. 10/20/23 Update: States stipulated Motion in Limine re Donna & Harvey Adelson as witnesses. State & defense respectfully' request that this Honorable Court enter an Order precluding the defendant from calling either as witnesses in this cause, including during defendant's case in chief or in rebuttal filed by Jack Campbell. Next pretrial hearing on 10/20/23.
10/20/23 Update: Starting with a pool of 50 jurors on Monday morning, 10/23/23, adding 50 more in the afternoon, repeat the following day(s) until 12 jurors + 3 alternates selected. Judge estimates jury will be seated by Thursday, 10/26 or Friday, 10/27. And also said if a jury was selected quickly, they could have openings on Wednesday, 10/25 & witnesses begin on Thursday, 10/26. Judge set trial hours to be 9am to 5:30pm & he is reserving the first few rows on his left for media & cameras. State Attorney Cappleman requested trial end early on Wednesdays -- between 5-5:15pm.
*Katharine Diana Magbanua (32/now 38) – 5/27/22: Found guilty on ALL charges Sentenced on 7/29/22 for murder LWOP & for conspiracy & solicitation two 30 consecutive years in prison. 8/4/22: Magbanua has transitioned to the FL Department of Corrections Women's Reception Center in Ocala, thus ending a very lengthy six-year stay in the Leon County Jail.
*Sigfredo Garcia (34/now 40) – 10/10/19: Found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh. His appeal was denied.
*Luis Rivera (33/now 39) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Testified against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged any of these people in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, except Charlie; but say Adelson’s mother & brother – Donna & Charlie Adelson – paid $100K to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

I'm headed over shortly to the courthouse to see if I can observe jury selection. If not, I'll be making Wendi's fake liquor purchase/cruising the crime scene trip to see for myself her route. I'm especially interested in eyeballing Charlie's jury consultant so hope I at least get to do that today. Wish me luck.

I'm headed over shortly to the courthouse to see if I can observe jury selection. If not, I'll be making Wendi's fake liquor purchase/cruising the crime scene trip to see for myself her route. I'm especially interested in eyeballing Charlie's jury consultant so hope I at least get to do that today. Wish me luck.
Thank you, katiecool ... so looking forward to your observations!! Good Luck and Stay Safe ❤️

On Friday, Josh Dubin, a jury-selection consultant, filed an appearance on CA's behalf.

Attachments

• dubin.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 5
Tallahassee Democrat’s live feed is on the seal. No audio. I don’t think jury selection will be live steamed? Right?
I'm not sure. Maybe not. If you go back to the beginning of the stream, you'll see the judge reading instructions to the jury pool and they showed CA and his lawyers leaving the court room at one point. Maybe they will only stream the parts when it is only the judge and lawyers speaking -- and not when a jury pool member is being questioned. JMO.

On Friday, Josh Dubin, a jury-selection consultant, filed an appearance on CA's behalf.
I'm sure both sides do this and it's part of the "process" but this just strikes me as gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper