FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an interesting collection of witnesses to some very bizarre details connected to this case! You just can't make this stuff up:

• Sgt. Sherrie Bennett, a TPD investigator who interviewed witnesses in the case, including a relative of Magbanua whom police suspected may have helped pay her legal bills and who had been arrested for embezzlement.
  • Jonathan Grossman, a Miami-Dade Police Department homicide detective who backed up testimony by Rivera that during the hitmen's drive to Tallahassee, Garcia accidentally shot a hole in the floorboard of the Prius.
  • Waldo Nunez, a state trooper who worked for Comfort Rent a Car near the Miami airport at the time of the murder. He confirmed the rental agreement for the car Garcia and Rivera used in their first of two trips to Tallahassee, in June 2014, to scout out Markel's house. The agreement was for local use only, and the killers were forced to return it after its GPS system pinged the rental company that the vehicle was in Tallahassee.
  • Shoddrick Nobles, who sold cocaine to the killers in Tallahassee and helped get auto parts after the bullet Garcia shot inside the Prius punctured the gas line, making the car inoperable. Rivera said Garcia, who had experience fixing cars, got it running again.
  • Stewart Schlazer, a music teacher who was on the phone with Markel when he was shot. Schlazer said Markel told him to hold on because there was "an unfamiliar person" in his driveway. "I heard a loud sound," he testified in the first trial. "He never spoke another word to me."
  • David Sims, a retired TPD officer who was the first to arrive at Markel's house after the murder. He testified that he found Markel in his car, leaned over a little, with his cellphone in his left hand and a business card in his right. He was still breathing but unresponsive. He turned the car off as EMS arrived.
  • Robert Swartz, the Geek Squad worker who went to Wendi Adelson's house to fix the television her brother had given her as a "divorce present." Wendi Adelson, testifying last year, said she made the appointment. Prosecutors noted, however, that there were texts between her and her mom about the appointment, which gave her an alibi for the morning of the murder.
  • Shawn Yao, TPD forensics supervisor who testified during the 2019 trial and demonstrated for jurors the "gang style" for holding and shooting a gun.
10/23/23 --

Last edited:
@katiecoolady great commentary! Just saw you chatting on STS a few minutes ago and now listening to your dispatch. It’s so cool that we have one of our own there to give us the color commentary. I seriously considered coming down there for this trial - I have a ton of vaca time! Is Tally a nice place to visit?

Yes! I believe that is him! They brought 2-3 consultants with them. They are smart to know that Charlie's only hope is one errant sympathetic juror.
One errant juror is not really a hope, IMO. It would just mean a mistrial, then a retrial. I doubt they would let CA out on bond between the trials. His only hope, again IMO, is the prosecutor doesn’t prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt and he is declared not guilty. I don’t really see that happening, especially if KM is rolling on him.

ETA. I enjoyed your video. Enjoy your time in Florida.

Last edited:
@katiecoolady great commentary! Just saw you chatting on STS a few minutes ago and now listening to your dispatch. It’s so cool that we have one of our own there to give us the color commentary. I seriously considered coming down there for this trial - I have a ton of vaca time! Is Tally a nice place to visit?
I like it here! It's a pretty laid back vibe and I look forward to exploring it some on the weekends. I guess a beach is just 20 min away. How can you not come? This trial is gonna be one bombshell after another I think. Do it!

I like it here! It's a pretty laid back vibe and I look forward to exploring it some on the weekends. I guess a beach is just 20 min away. How can you not come? This trial is gonna be one bombshell after another I think. Do it!
Definitely check out Wakulla Springs while down there. Beautiful landscape, manatees and gators, and live oaks just dripping with spanish moss. A meal at Kool Beanz is also fun.

Tuesday, October 24th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23. (3 to 5 days for jury sel to 10/27) @ 9a 12 Jurors & 3 alternates.
Trial set to begin on 10/31/23 or could begin earlier. (thru 11/9/23). From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm
Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/20/23 reference post #251 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-13

10/23/23 Update: On Friday, Josh Dubin of Dubin Research & Consulting has filed an appearance on Adelson's behalf.
10/23/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: No info yet.

Dan Markel murder: Charlie Adelson trial - jury selection - Day 2​

Scheduled for Oct 24, 2023

GAVEL-TO-GAVEL COVERAGE: The Tallahassee Democrat will livestream each day of the trial of Charlie Adelson from the courthouse in Tallahassee. Watch on Tallahassee.com and the Tallahassee Democrat's Facebook and YouTube pages. For best viewing experience: Download the Tallahassee Democrat app to watch and receive text alerts on when to watch – from opening arguments to the verdict. During jury selection, live streaming will not be available when jurors are visible.

UPDATE 10/23/2023 9:43 P.M.:
A Leon county judge questioned 100 jurors well into the evening Monday for the first round of jury selection for the trial of Charlie Adelson.

Judge Stephen Everett called 41 jurors to come back for further questioning.

Adelson is on trial for the murder-for-hire plot to have his former brother-in-law FSU Law professor Dan Markel killed in 2014.

This stems from what prosecutors through the years have called a bitter divorce and custody battle between Wendy Adelson, Charlie's sister and Markel.

Three people have already been convicted for his murder.

10/23/23

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - One hundred prospective jurors reported to the Leon County Courthouse Monday as jury selection began in the conspiracy and murder trial of Charlie Adelson.

Attorneys interviewed potential jurors until about 7:30 p.m. Monday. Approximately 40 of the 100 jurors remained in the pool of possible jurors and will return Tuesday.

Adelson is accused of plotting and paying for the July 2014 murder of his former brother-in-law and FSU law professor Dan Markel.

Potential jurors entered Courtroom 3G just after 8:30 a.m. Some were visibly surprised to see Charlie Adelson standing there and others were taken aback by the television camera in the front row.

Charlie Adelson and his attorney in court Monday as jury selection begins.

The judge started by announcing the charges against Adelson and sharing a short summary of the deadly shooting.

[..]

100 jurors a day are expected to report each of the first 3 days. A total of 900 summons went out in the case, but court administrators say only about 40% usually walk through the courtroom door, due to excusals, deferments, and no-shows.

Once individual questioning is completed, prospective jurors will be questioned as a group in open court.

The judge estimated it could take up to four days to seat a jury of 12 and 3 alternates.

Attorneys have been successful in seating juries for the other defendants in this case. It took three days to pick a jury in the 2019 trial of Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua. It took two days to pick a jury in Katherine Magbanua’s 2022 retrial.

WCTV’s Savannah Kelley is in court and will continue to update you on jury selection in Charlie Adelson’s case.

WCTV will begin live streaming Adelson’s trial once opening statements and testimony begin.

Tallahassee is a beautiful city. I know it’s probably changed a lot since my college years there (FSU grad here), but I really loved my time there. Beautiful canopy roads, lots of artsy places and very good restaurants. I had transferred there from UF and was quite surprised at how pretty it is. Springtime was my favorite. There are flowers everywhere!

I know that the TV repairman didn't testify at the previous trials but was he ever on the witness lists for either trial? Anybody remember?

from @Seattle1 : 'Robert Swartz, the Geek Squad worker who went to Wendi Adelson's house to fix the television her brother had given her as a "divorce present." Wendi Adelson, testifying last year, said she made the appointment.'

( I'd always hoped his testimony might have some nuggets to contradict WA's account)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper