FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tallahassee has a small town vibe, in spit of its size. It would have behooved Charlie to hire local attorneys who can connect with jury members interpersonally. Tally is the south. Miami is New York City.
You’d think this would be obvious. If you’re a jet setter type and you’re being tried in a sleepy town you need a sleepy advocate to help the jury relate to you. You don’t try to land a 747 in a parking lot. People who are out of touch don’t get this concept. They think because they are so pleased with themselves and their set that others will be too! That’s the unkind view.

The reality is the avg person is not knowledgeable about criminal defense lawyers or criminal trials/jurors etc. It’s not something you think about until you get charged. Only habitual criminals have a defense lawyer on speed dial. Often times high profile ppl have civil lawyers in their circle and they ask them for representation and the civil lawyer has to tell them no you need a criminal lawyer! Sometimes you see the civil lawyer at initial hearings and such.

JMO

Last edited:
You’d think this would be obvious. If you’re a jet setter type and you’re being tried in a sleepy town you need a sleepy advocate to help the jury relate to you. You don’t try to land a 747 in a parking lot. People who are out of touch don’t get this concept. They think because they are so pleased with themselves and their set that others will be too! That’s the unkind view.

The reality is no one is knowledgeable about criminal defense lawyers. It’s not something you think about until you get charged. Often times high profile ppl will know civil lawyers and they ask them for representation and the civil lawyer has to tell them no you need a criminal lawyer! Sometimes you see the civil lawyer at initial hearings and such.

JMO
It's also why Public Defenders are usually not a bad option at all. They've seen it all and done it all. And that's all they do.

Although I think nearly all states have adopted “the hand of one is the hand of all” when charging defendants with murder, I was surprised when this also came up (questioned) during the Pike County, Ohio Massacre Trial.

I'm very curious what CA's defense will be. Under the law, of course, the burden to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is entirely on the state, and CA has no obligation to present any defense whatsoever. The defense can remain totally silent, or it can just try to poke holes in the state's case. In practice, however, defendants usually try to present the jury with some plausible alternative theory to that presented by the state -- one that convinces the jury that the defendant didn't do it.

Assuming CA's defense does want to present some plausible theory of his innocence, they have to contend with what's probably incontrovertible at this point: two thugs who had never met DM drove all the way from Miami to Tallahassee to murder him. They didn't rob him or try to do a drug deal with him--they just killed him. And those two thugs had a connection to the Adelsons via one of their SO's (KM). Given those facts, what can CA argue? A few possibilities (none very plausible to me):

1. CA has absolutely no idea why any of this happened. Just zero connection to any of the plot. If his GF KM was indeed involved, she did it entirely on her own, perhaps in a misguided attempt to please CA, and without telling CA of her involvement.

2. CA was somehow blackmailed/extorted/coerced/threatened by SG/KM/LR into a conspiracy to kill DM.

3. CA was involved in the plot, but the plan was just to warn/intimidate/rough up DM, not murder him.

4. Some combination of DA, WA, and HA were behind the plot, and communicated directly with KM, but CA wasn't involved.

Again, I don't think any of those possible defenses is plausible, and there is tons of evidence contradicting all of them. But what other potential defenses does he have? Perhaps Mr. Rashbaum will enlighten us tomorrow. Until then, speculate away...

I think they'll go after KM, considering how many times she has lied in the past, she is not very credible....they'll say she overheard CA talking to WA/DA about how convenient it would be if DM was gone and thought she would ingratiate herself to him forever if she masterminded the murder plot.

The only “narrative” for the defense is the one about throwing KM under the bus - aka she did it on her own so he’d be indebted to her forever. He didn’t come forward cause he feared she would implicate him/his family. If the defense goes with this angle, the we know for sure Charlie will testify.

The other option is the reasonable doubt defense. This is all one big misunderstanding and you can’t convict him based on a few conversations on wiretaps. There isn’t enough evidence etc etc.

Jury seated! 7 women, 8 men including alternates. Opening statements tomorrow. Here we goooooo
Yay! Omg I am so ready! And there goes my life from 9-5 for the next 3 weeks! I’m even trying to get out of volunteer duty on Friday morning (not really - but I’m going in early and nobody better talk to me and slow me down that morning! I needs to get back home so I can watch the trial! Lol

Justice for Dan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members