FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Both prosecutors and the defense used all of their 10 strikes apiece to weed out jurors they didn't want on the panel. The jury that will hear evidence in the case consists of seven white men, one Black man, 2 white women and five Black women.'

''Enter stage left, Mr. Charlie Adelson, the defendant. He is the only person that could give relevant testimony to the words and contexts of the recordings. This is not a surprise, but to give this hint would almost force them to call him to the stand unless they have another witness to complete this task. No one expects Katie Magbanua to testify in this case, except in rebuttal for the state of Florida. Her credibility limits her effectiveness as a witness in any courtroom. If the defense fails to attack or provide a witness to give an alternative context and meanings to the recordings, they have lost the trust of the jury. In essence, the have failed to deliver what they subtly inferred in jury selection.''

I'm thinking about who the first witness will be. Probably Dan's neighbor, who called 911. If I remember correctly, the call was excruciating, with the 911 operator just not responding quickly/appropriately. The poor neighbor. JMO.
''Cappleman told the court late Wednesday that the first people she will call to the stand after opening statements include the crime scene witnesses and the state medical examiner.''

Since WS was down all day for me - I have included yesterday stuff in my notes.

Thursday, October 26th:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection began on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women).
Trial set to begin on 10/26/23. (thru 11/9/23). From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm
Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1 (10/23/23) reference post #251 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-13

10/23/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: Leon County Judge Stephen Everett questioned 100 jurors well into the evening Monday for the first round of jury selection. Judge Everett called 41 jurors to come back for further questioning on Tuesday, 10/24/23. The judge estimated it could take up to four days to seat a jury of 12 & 3 alternates.
For more info see post #298 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-15

10/24/23 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: Per katiecoolady: They are moving quickly through potential jurors today. Some are being asked to return at 1:30 for the group voir dire I believe.
for more info see posts #307 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-15
Jury selection continues on Wednesday, 10/25/23.
10/25/23 Wednesday, Jury Selection Day 3: By Tuesday afternoon, attorneys had 55 jurors for the last round of selection & needed at least five more to move on to the final round. Adelson’s attorney, Josh Dubin, argued the case should be moved to South or Central Florida, arguing that jury selection has demonstrated that too many people have knowledge & opinions due to local & national news coverage. Judge Stephen Everett denied the motion.
Jury seated! 7 women & 8 men including alternates. Opening statements tomorrow.
Trial begins with opening statements on Thursday, 10/26/23.

*Katharine Diana Magbanua (32/now 38) – 5/27/22: Found guilty on ALL charges Sentenced on 7/29/22 for murder LWOP & for conspiracy & solicitation two 30 consecutive years in prison. 8/4/22: Magbanua has transitioned to the FL Department of Corrections Women's Reception Center in Ocala, thus ending a very lengthy six-year stay in the Leon County Jail.
*Sigfredo Garcia (34/now 40) – 10/10/19: Found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh. His appeal was denied.
*Luis Rivera (33/now 39) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Testified against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged any of these people in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, except Charlie; but say Adelson’s mother & brother – Donna & Charlie Adelson – paid $100K to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

I'm thinking about who the first witness will be. Probably Dan's neighbor, who called 911. If I remember correctly, the call was excruciating, with the 911 operator just not responding quickly/appropriately. The poor neighbor. JMO.
Yes, I remember the 911 operator was absolutely appalling. It's very hard to listen to it. The neighbor was an excellent witness, and I don't believe any of this trial would be taking place if not for him. I look at the terms "nosey neighbor" differently because of him.

Excellent insights from one of the most experienced jury experts on STS one day ago - Richard Gabriel. Explained what Dubin would have been looking for, including ' high conflict' jurors ( holdouts)

IDK if I can link STS on this thread
Even though I think the State's evidence is strong, it does give me some trepidation.

MentourLawyer who, imo, is always very objective, also said on his last vlog that Dubin is definitely skillful

Good Morning! It’s finally time! May Georgia and her team get Justice for Dan.

And Charlie looks like a corpse! So pale!
ashen-faced and a lot of blinking
Although in the last few moments he's just shared a smile and a laugh with Rushbaum

Thanks @Gypsy Road ( Am on MentourLawyer's live feed, just cause he stuck with this case all these years)

Take note of CA's body language (while he sits, squirms, quietly)...

Face touching, especially on the nose, is commonly interpreted as an indication of deception. Same with covering his mouth.

All that $$$ expended on jury consultants and they forgot to clue him in on his appearance before the jury. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfwbnfts