FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the first I’ve heard of it as well!
Thank you! I thought so but so much time has gone by. I can't even get into Leon County Court documents anymore.

If anyone has the link please send it. The last time I tried I think it required a notarized document. I am not as fanatical pulling docs now because the trial coverage is so good on these cases.

Can't wait for October: BOO CHARLIE :eek:

Surviving the Survivor discussed the witness list and exhibits.

Is there a picture of Wendi and Sigfredo?

...hmm...that's interesting that's also how he would know what the lady looked like!

I vaguely remember questioning at last trial where Wendi was asked if she knew Sigfredo; I might have this wrong but I think the line of questioning was regarding Charlie's work parties. It might be a party picture.
^^rsbm

I've not watched STS youtube referenced but I vaguely remember I think from Luis Rivera that Sigfredo was out "spying" on KM attending a pool party with KM, WA, and CA all sitting in a hot tub. It wouldn't surprise me if Sigfredo had seen WA in person or photos before. Also, wasn't there something about Sigfredo getting into KM's phone in an attempt to extract contact info for CA but instead ended up with Harvey's number?? JMO

^^rsbm

I've not watched STS youtube referenced but I vaguely remember I think from Luis Rivera that Sigfredo was out "spying" on KM attending a pool party with KM, WA, and CA all sitting in a hot tub. It wouldn't surprise me if Sigfredo had seen WA in person or photos before. Also, wasn't there something about Sigfredo getting into KM's phone in an attempt to extract contact info for CA but instead ended up with Harvey's number?? JMO
You have such a good memory! I don’t remember the spying hot tub at all. The other stuff yes I do remember lol

These arrests and trials take way too long for my brain.

STS doesn’t address the Wendi and Sigfredo pic at all.. I hope Georgia brings out lil tidbits like this at trial like the paper Wendi seemingly was studying while on stand.

Surviving the Survivor discussed the witness list and exhibits.

Is there a picture of Wendi and Sigfredo?

...hmm...that's interesting that's also how he would know what the lady looked like!

I vaguely remember questioning at last trial where Wendi was asked if she knew Sigfredo; I might have this wrong but I think the line of questioning was regarding Charlie's work parties. It might be a party picture.

Correct me if I am wrong or if you know about this picture. First I have heard of it.

Wendi should add this to her photo album next to the Katie beach picture. :cool:

View attachment 450257
I think this is an error. The State's evidence list identifies 55 photos and the only photo of Wendi that's listed is "Wendi and KM on beach." That evidence list is in post #85 above. JMO.

I think this is an error. The State's evidence list identifies 55 photos and the only photo of Wendi that's listed is "Wendi and KM on beach." That evidence list is in post #85 above. JMO.
I was thinking the same. And hope STS refreshes the guest list before I watch again. Not so much this case but they've made a mess of some others. JMO

You have such a good memory! I don’t remember the spying hot tub at all. The other stuff yes I do remember lol

These arrests and trials take way too long for my brain.

STS doesn’t address the Wendi and Sigfredo pic at all.. I hope Georgia brings out lil tidbits like this at trial like the paper Wendi seemingly was studying while on stand.

This is what I'm recalling from LR but I don't think there's any photo of SG and WA:

October 10, 2016

The Tallahassee Democrat has this report:

“I thought we were going to come up here and rob somebody,” Rivera told investigators in an Oct. 4 interview. “So when I get in the car that’s when [alleged hitman Sigfredo] Garcia told me what we were coming up here for. We were coming up here to kill somebody.”
Rivera told Tallahassee Police investigators he had no idea who Markel was before Garcia came to his North Miami home to discuss the crime. Rivera said he did not know the names of the people who hired Garcia.
Garcia, who is scheduled to stand trial Nov. 14, told him he had been hired to kill Markel in connection with his child custody battle with his ex-wife Wendi Adelson, Rivera said.
“Rivera said he did not know the names of the people who hired Garcia.” That’s key — and why Rivera is not in a position to implicate the Adelsons, some of whom the police suspect as the real parties behind the hit. Throughout the interview, Rivera generally does not refer to the Adelsons by their names. For example, he refers to Wendi Adelson, the ex-wife of Dan Markel who wanted to relocate with their two kids to south Florida, as “the lady,” and he refers to Wendi’s brother Charlie as “the dentist.” (Through their lawyers, the Adelsons have denied any involvement in Markel’s murder.)

During the questioning, Rivera revealed how much he and his alleged co-conspirators were paid:

There was $100,000 in cash waiting once the murder was done.
Garcia, who would take $40,000, promised him $35,000.
The rest, and then some, went to Garcia’s on-and-off girlfriend Katherine Magbanua, Rivera said.
Ah yes, Katie Magbanua — who according to law enforcement is in a position to implicate whoever ordered the murder, and who just got booked into the Leon County Jail yesterday. Magbanua played a major role in the conspiracy, in Rivera’s telling:

“Katie is the woman in the middle doing everything,” Rivera said in his interview. “It’s all because of Katie, man. She had [Sigfredo Garcia] crazy. She would go cheat on him and she would tell him if you want me back you have to go do this.”
Magbanua, who at the time was dating Charlie Adelson — [whom] Rivera referred to as “the dentist” — was arrested Oct. 1 on charges of first-degree murder in Broward County.
As longtime followers of this case will recall, Katie Magbanua is the key connection. She has two children with alleged hitman Sigfredo Garcia, and at the time of the murder she was dating Charlie Adelson, brother of Dan Markel’s ex-wife, Wendi Adelson. Without Magbanua, there’s no apparent link between Markel, Garcia, Rivera, and the Adelsons.

Speaking of Wendi Adelson, Rivera’s comments about her might well be the most noteworthy part of the interview. Per WTXL:

He mentioned to investigators how during their first trip to Tallahassee, they drove by Wendi Adelson, Markel’s ex-wife, while she was with her children.
Rivera told investigators that he noticed Garcia and Adelson making eye contact and said he began to wonder [who] she was. That’s when he said he began suspecting that Garcia was displaying to Adelson that they had arrived.
Actually, based on my viewing of the video, I believe that this sighting of Wendi with the two kids took place on the second visit to Tallahassee, on the day before Markel’s murder. (Listen for yourself; the relevant discussion begins around 11:05 a.m.)

Rivera said that he and Garcia, while driving around to survey the area near Markel’s house, passed Wendi walking down the street with her two children. Rivera felt that Wendi noticed them, and he didn’t like it; he asked Garcia, “What’s up with that lady?” Garcia responded, “That’s the lady — that’s Wendi.” Note that earlier in the interview, Rivera said he was told the motive for the murder was that “the lady wants her two kids back.”

Rivera and Garcia then drove back to the motel where they were staying, according to Rivera, and Garcia called Magbanua to ask what Wendi Adelson was doing in the neighborhood. Magbanua supposedly told Garcia that Wendi was in the area because “she just wants to make sure everything’s all right.” Garcia asked Magbanua, “Is everything all right with this lady?” Magbanua responded, “Yeah, everything’s straight, don’t worry about it — just make sure you get that s**t done.”

Rivera: ‘We were coming up here to kill somebody’ [Tallahassee Democrat]
Third Markel suspect, Katherine Magbanua, booked in Leon County [Tallahassee Democrat]
Suspect in Dan Markel Murder Confesses His Involvement on Camera [WTXL]

Thank you @Seattle1 and @clearskies1 .

My gut told me to consider source (nothing wrong with YouTube channel) but there was absolutely no discussion about it; it would definitely be “newsworthy” .

and @clearskies1 thanks for posting the docs. I did see it before I posted and noted that pic wasn’t listed

I wanted it to be true :D

Everyone I agree there is no pic of Wendi and Sigfredo :confused: she’s still guilty lol

Last edited:
I do not recall see this here.

Sept. 30, 2023

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - A witness list filed by prosecutors this week confirms that Katherine Magbanua has officially turned state’s witness and could testify against ex-boyfriend Charlie Adelson at his upcoming murder trial.

Magbanua was first listed as a “state witness” last November when she met with prosecutors behind closed doors for what lawyers call “a proffer.” That happened just months after she was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison in the murder for hire of FSU law professor Dan Markel.

Prosecutors consider her the link between Adelson, who is accused of coordinating and financing the murder for hire plot, and convicted hit men Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera.
[.....]
The state’s witness list filed earlier this week includes the entire Adelson family: father Harvey, mother Donna, sister Wendi who is Markel’s ex-wife, and brother Rob.

Rob Adelson is listed as a witness for the first time in this more than nine-year-old case. An online bio indicates he is an ear, nose and throat doctor in New York.

Prosecutors list 47 potential witnesses. Defense attorneys list 17.
[.....]
Jury selection in Charlie Adelson’s trial is scheduled to start October 23 and testimony could last two weeks or more.

The article which I just posted above says trial starts Oct. 23rd. I have it starting Oct. 30th. Would that mean jury selection on Oct. 23rd?
TIA! :)

The article which I just posted above says trial starts Oct. 23rd. I have it starting Oct. 30th. Would that mean jury selection on Oct. 23rd?
TIA! :)

Yes, here you go!

Updated: Aug. 25, 2023 at 6:29 PM PDT

Attorneys firmed up deadlines for Adelson’s upcoming trial which is scheduled to start with jury selection on Monday, October 23rd.

Jury selection could last three to five days, attorneys estimate, and testimony could begin as early as Thursday, October 26th.

The trial is expected to wrap up by November 9th, but Adelson’s attorney told the judge the length of his case would depend on the witnesses and evidence presented by the state.

“I have a little bit anxiety and concern that we might go long,” defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum said. “It depends on what happens in their case what our case looks like, but I wanted to alert the court that I think our case could be lengthy and I think our case could our case could go a week, 5 or 6 days of testimony, so I just want to give the court a heads up on that.”

I do not recall see this here.

What's puzzling is that there was unanimous agreement among the STS participants (above) that it would be a huge mistake for the State to put KM on the stand, with the rationale that the defense would dive in to her previous untruthful testimony. What am I missing?

The recent comments about Wendi reminded me of my skepticism when she showed up to testify wearing what appeared to be the same or very similar outfit during KM’s trial & previously at SG’s trial. First image is from around a year ago vs the second image approx 4 years ago per the YouTube video dates.

The skeptic in me thought this was a purposeful decision, possibly to try and make any video clips shown in the media or elsewhere harder to distinguish from one trial to the next. But maybe this is just her Court outfit for the Markel trial(s). JMOO.

Attachments

• A4BC3CC2-2E95-45B1-BAB0-453A46F64E3B.jpeg
    A4BC3CC2-2E95-45B1-BAB0-453A46F64E3B.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 38D9B75F-8F4D-4C81-9854-2AD5001D9087.jpeg
    38D9B75F-8F4D-4C81-9854-2AD5001D9087.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 8
The recent comments about Wendi reminded me of my skepticism when she showed up to testify wearing what appeared to be the same or very similar outfit during KM’s trial & previously at SG’s trial. First image is from around a year ago vs the second image approx 4 years ago per the YouTube video dates.

The skeptic in me thought this was a purposeful decision, possibly to try and make any video clips shown in the media or elsewhere harder to distinguish from one trial to the next. But maybe this is just her Court outfit for the Markel trial(s). JMOO.
I think it was purposeful but not sure why… she seems like someone that cares very much what she looks like.

I think it was purposeful but not sure why… she seems like someone that cares very much what she looks like.
That reminds me of the testimony that just prior to the murder, Wendi updated her Facebook profile pic to a much more flattering one since that's the photo which would inevitably be broadcast in the media.

The State may have put Magbanua on the witness list just to cover their bases. They may not be planning to call her in their case in chief but didn't want to cut off that option. They needed to put her on the list to retain the option.

The State may have put Magbanua on the witness list just to cover their bases. They may not be planning to call her in their case in chief but didn't want to cut off that option. They needed to put her on the list to retain the option.
That makes sense but then why did the State bring KM back to Leon County over the winter for two months, for the so-called "proffer" if they may not use her? Also just to cover bases? Maybe I'm missing the connection between a proffer and taking the stand.

A motions hearing has been set for October 9 at 1:30pm ET.

Charlie's attorneys have filed motions to suppress evidence taken from wiretaps and to exclude the Dolce recordings/enhancements, hearsay from Lacasse, the divorce filings, testimony concerning CA's attorney's call to police following KM's arrest, and June Umchinda's testimony concerning the "bump." They've also submitted a proposed jury questionnaire.

State has filed what I believe is the same set of Motions in Limine that they used for KM's trial (Exclude evidence of: LR's gang affiliation, .22 caliber bullets found at Premier Health & Fitness, LR's mental health, LR's domestic violence; Allow: Jason Newlin to attend entire trial, use of headphones for jury for audio evidence, admission of wiretap calls, and use of demonstrative aids).

Attachments

That makes sense but then why did the State bring KM back to Leon County over the winter for two months, for the so-called "proffer" if they may not use her? Also just to cover bases? Maybe I'm missing the connection between a proffer and taking the stand.
I mostly see this with sort of movement with gang member inmates. I believe the extended stay is for the inmate's protection. Just the appearance of cooperating and/or snitching can get you killed -- both in and outside of prison. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979