FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolce Vita transcript will be allowed. Defense insisted that the designation (inaudible) be included in the subtitles, replacing ellipsis. That argument was just an excuse to object, but the judge granted it.

Dolce Vita transcript allowed in since Katie has authenticated, judge ruled. The whole purpose of calling Katie was to get this in. That’s the only good thing Katie had to offer the state. Rashbaum could be overheard on the mics talking to his co-counsel saying he actually prefers the transcripts - anyone catch that??

Rashbaum smiles too much for my liking.

Dolce Vita transcript allowed in since Katie has authenticated, judge ruled. The whole purpose of calling Katie was to get this in. That’s the only good thing Katie had to offer the state. Rashbaum could be overheard on the mics talking to his co-counsel saying he actually prefers the transcripts - anyone catch that??

Rashbaum smiles too much for my liking.
While I agree that Katie's authentication of the Dolce Vita transcript was huge, I disagree that her testimony was not otherwise beneficial to the state. To the contrary, I believe her testimony was a major win for the prosecution on balance. Of course, she is damaged goods as a witness, but having her directly testify that Charlie came up with the plot and was responsible for the murder of his brother-in-law is extraordinarily powerful.

I might have discovered a lead for Georgia C today:

During today's examination of the State witness, Ms. Hall, a financial examiner analyzing the deposits and average balances of the defendants bank accounts, under the 2016 column illustrating annual income by employer, I specifically recall hearing GC ask Ms. Hall if 'Quintana Lopez [at $5,053.25 for the period 7/29/16 - 10/14/16]' might be a realtor, and Ms. Hall wasn't certain but said its possible.

In March 2018, KM's sister-in-law was arrested by the Plantation Police Department in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19M from her employer Quintana, Lopez, Donoghue & Gonzalez, a Plantation certified public accounting firm.

September 2017, the owners of the firm became suspicious that she had been stealing money from them when they noticed their general business account had been nearly depleted of funds over several years.
At the time of her arrest, Samantha Magbanua, KM's sister-in-law, had worked for the firm for 26 years!

7/24/2018

They “noticed hundreds of thousands of dollars had been wired out of the account by Samantha without their permission,” Plantation Police wrote in their report.

In all, 62 wire transfers by Samantha Magbanua were sent to a Miami spiritual healer, Caridad Herrera Cabello, totaling $611,230.

Samantha told investigators she met Cabello through her sister-in-law Katherine Magbanua. Investigators also found that between October 2015 and August 2017, $332,585 was wired from her employer's accounts into four personal accounts of Samantha Magbanua.

The firm’s business accounts also were used to pay off $228,369 in credit cards owned by Samantha Magbanua, according to investigators.
Amazing sleuthing!

While I agree that Katie's authentication of the Dolce Vita transcript was huge, I disagree that her testimony was not otherwise beneficial to the state. To the contrary, I believe her testimony was a major win for the prosecution on balance. Of course, she is damaged goods as a witness, but having her directly testify that Charlie came up with the plot and was responsible for the murder of his brother-in-law is extraordinarily powerful.
Tim Jansen who is a Tally defense lawyer and knows Georgia and Rashbaum has said that there were no plans to call Katie. He thinks it was a last minute call over the weekend. This makes me think state didn’t consider KM integral to their prosecution of Charlie. I think they could get a conviction without Katie. She’s not worth the baggage she brings. JMO

Tim Jansen who is a Tally defense lawyer and knows Georgia and Rashbaum has said that there were no plans to call Katie. He thinks it was a last minute call over the weekend. This makes me think state didn’t consider KM integral to their prosecution of Charlie. I think they could get a conviction without Katie. She’s not worth the baggage she brings. JMO
I agree. I don't think she offered anything that we didn't already know. Maybe, that the money was wet. Was there anything that anyone else felt contributed to this case by KM's testimony?

I was disappointed. I just expected more details.

I agree 100% that KM was huge win for prosecution. There is no substitute for jury being able to eyeball and hear principal participants, and therefore not have to wonder why she was not there to testify. KM's reason for lying was to save herself. She was virtually untouched by Rash on cross, and his repetition of her only leaving prison in a box with a big grin on his face after her repeated reference to her two kids (both of whose parents are in for life) must have rubbed the jury the wrong way.

Do you all think KM damaged the State’s case, or are you just saying she just didn’t help in any substantial way?

There were a few things for me. While she has a lot of baggage, she further connected Donna to the scheme - the delivery the washed money, which texts back up - Donna did go to Charlie’s house before KM got there. The piece of paper placed in her diaper bag that she gave to SG that LR testified about that had Dan’s info on it. She also authenticated the Dolce Vita tape and now the transcript can come in - which I think will be helpful to the jurors.

Last edited:
That blows his entire "theory" out of the water. He claimed he didn't have $1,000,000 in cash so he had to put her on the payroll and give her monthly payments. This theory is so all over the place I hope it doesn't confuse jurors.
It was like $400 a week. Who extorts someone for $400 a week? How many weeks was that supposed to go on? I still think they shouldve gotten testimony from Katie explaining the insurance scam. She must not have gone into that in the proffer. She’s confused, she thinks the payments were “for the murder,” which they were, but not exactly.

Agree. I think she was helpful and did a good job. I think the defense was daring, the prosecution to not use her to gaslight them into believing it would be a disaster. But it wasn't and it actually was helpful. I think it also caught the defense back on their heels to some extent.

She lied in the first two trials, but the tapes are the tapes and the texts are the texts. And the facts are the facts. The only people who benefited from Dan's murder is that family. These guys were broke in a few months. $35k isn't all that much. We see her struggling to come up with money to pay the defense attorney if you listen to those old taps from when SG got arrested. They were out of money then.

I agree. I don't think she offered anything that we didn't already know. Maybe, that the money was wet. Was there anything that anyone else felt contributed to this case by KM's testimony?

I was disappointed. I just expected more details.
Katie said Donna and Harvey dropped off the money at Charlie's before she got there. That was corroborated by Charlie's texts where Donna says "Call us ASAP" then "Outside your house" on the 18th in the evening.

Tim J was completely against calling her all along, but yesterday he said she did a good job. On balance, he thought it went well, and it was a good decision.

Rushbaum trying to emphasise that there's no evidence that Charlie conspired alongside Sig because they never contacted each other & Katie didn't contact Sig when Charlie was present

( Obviously, if one believes KM, she was clear that she was seeing both lovers simultaneously and did not explicitly tell CA before the hit that she was using SG as the assassin)

Brief recess. Balliff involved. IDK why

rashbaum picking holes and creating doubt
Corbett messed up this slide in multiple waysView attachment 457212
He did? How could you mess this up? Who would call someone they were scared of these horrible names?

With Katie, yeah, she’s not the greatest witness. But what motivation does she have to confess to murder? By their theory, she didn’t murder, she just found out that they did the murder, and then started extorting him. Why wouldn’t she just confess to the extortion?

Or are they arguing she set the whole thing up and so she committed murder for hire AND extortion? And now she’s lying and saying Charlie did it? See, again, I am confused.

Why didn’t the prosecution ask whether Katie knew that extortion carried a lesser sentence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member