FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Per Alex Morris, Charlie’s objection ‘expanded’ from an objection of Rashbaum conducting the cross examination of Charlie to Rashbaum’s continued representation of his mother. Not sure where the second part came in? I didn’t hear anything today re Charlie reversing his decision on Rashbaum representing Donna. I never heard that brought up at any point today - did anyone else hear this being brought up?

Per Alex Morris, Charlie’s objection ‘expanded’ from an objection of Rashbaum conducting the cross examination of Charlie to Rashbaum’s continued representation of his mother. Not sure where the second part came in? I didn’t hear anything today re Charlie reversing his decision on Rashbaum representing Donna. I never heard that brought up at any point today - did anyone else hear this being brought up?
I believe that is what Rashbaum is talking about starting at 4:52:10 below. Also see approx 11:00 to approx 15:00 below. JMO.

Last edited:
I believe that is what Rashbaum is talking about starting at 4:52:10 below. Also see approx 11:00 to approx 15:00 below. JMO.

Okay makes sense... I wasn’t thinking... I did hear that earlier but foolishly thought the ‘waiver’ Rashbaum was referring to was just addressing Rashbaum’s ability to conduct the cross examination of Charlie – NOT from representation of Donna. Thanks!

Agree. The performance of her life, one of them anyway. I absolutely think this is strategized, if not by Rashy, by the attorneys at his firm, or, who knows, maybe through the team of lawyers that Wendi has. And I agree, it is all to protect Wendi.

I believe the whole strategy from the beginning with representing both mother and son was an effort to have any conviction overturned on appeal and hope that Georgia retires. Keep getting new trial issues to hope the State gives up. I absolutely think it was a strategy, I don't think her tears were real, I don't believe she only found out at the hearing, & there is no way that she didn't well understand. And Charlie, like he always does running his big mouth, did the equivalent with his smile and smirk in his mug shot. It was a plan.

Think about it. Even with the A insanity to believe that Charlie was going home, with the texts, emails, checks she wrote, there is no rational person who believes that she is going to get an acquittal. Her best case scenario (without some nefarious intervention) is a hung jury, which means she sits in jail awaiting yet another trial. So no matter what, she is sitting in jail. I think it is further delay hoping that the state will not arrest Wendi because they want her testifying at Donna's trial. What I need to hear is from someone like Tim or a Florida attorney of a high caliber who can come up with ways that the state could get all that they need against Donna from Wendi without using Wendi .

But I think it is so important to see her on the stand. I think that was part of the key for why Charlie got convicted. It was obvious she was lying & helped the State's case. Also, the name change, the GeekSquad TV visit, the history of her and Dan with their divorce documents, she is the one who authenticates all that. I just don't know how you get all that in without her. But I'm sure there is a way so maybe they can try mother and daughter at the same trial and go get W now.
Right. Remember her list about who she wanted to sue.
The A’s have been playing games with the law for decades.
Tim J is too connected with the Tallahassee court to be objective.
He would not admit the state or the judge were in error. Until the end of the day.
I had respect for the Judge until he laughed twice today like this is a big joke.
Maybe he knows much of it is his fault for even allowing Rashbaum to represent two family members back to back.
How is it all the sleuths without a law degree saw this coming and the judge didn’t?
Somehow with the new developments with Markus recently, there just may be so much more involved.

Agree. The performance of her life, one of them anyway. I absolutely think this is strategized, if not by Rashy, by the attorneys at his firm, or, who knows, maybe through the team of lawyers that Wendi has. And I agree, it is all to protect Wendi.

I believe the whole strategy from the beginning with representing both mother and son was an effort to have any conviction overturned on appeal and hope that Georgia retires. Keep getting new trial issues to hope the State gives up. I absolutely think it was a strategy, I don't think her tears were real, I don't believe she only found out at the hearing, & there is no way that she didn't well understand. And Charlie, like he always does running his big mouth, did the equivalent with his smile and smirk in his mug shot. It was a plan.

I'm starting to believe this scenario. GC is only 48 years old though. A more likely case is that she goes into private practice but even if that happens, I don't see the State giving up. I am concerned about the more elderly witnesses in this case (and their memories) if this drags on for three to five more years, including for the other two family members.

All in all, this orchestration would mean that DA is willing to spend her seventies in the Leon County Jail to keep WA free, to take care of the grandchildren.

9/17/24

"In short, I need time to regroup," he said.

Because conflict issues are "so severe," Everett chose to not proceed with the trial, setting a case management hearing for Oct. 15 at 2:30 p.m.

In hindsight and in light of what actually unfolded in the last 48 hours, there are probably many issues that could have arisen because of the Rashbaum conflict of counsel issue. Yes, IMO, the court should have asked for that waiver but, as I understand it, Charlie could have changed his mind at anytime and revoked his decision to waive privilege. Hypothetically if Charlie did have a waiver in place AND he changed his mind mid trial and revoked the waiver / privilege, that state would have been forced to drop him from the witness list. Today we learned that they only intended to call him as a rebuttal witness, but depending on Donna defense, Uffemans motion could be a blessing in disguise for the state. There could have been a scenario where they wanted to call Charlie but couldn’t because of an appellate concern. I predict that in many places (specifically meaning those that cover the case), Rashbaun’s name is going to be dragged through the mud, but I think equal blame is to be shared by the Tallahassee DA’s office and Judge Everett. We should have never gotten to this point. To quote Carl Steinback – “This was avoidable” – I think he said that :)
You are right. When I heard the Judge laughing today and making a joke of the hearing by his comments, I realized that he knew he messed up. This is a very serious issue and not to be taken lightly. His joking and laughing-I found very disturbing tbh.

I'm starting to believe this scenario. GC is only 48 years old though. A more likely case is that she goes into private practice but even if that happens, I don't see the State giving up. I am concerned about the more elderly witnesses in this case (and their memories) if this drags on for three to five more years, including for the other two family members.

All in all, this orchestration would mean that DA is willing to spend her seventies in the Leon County Jail to keep WA free, to take care of the grandchildren.
Georgia is also still on faculty at FSU.
There may be lots more to this case that she knows of that we don’t.
Theres lots of politics..think the recent issues with Markus.
I’ll leave it at that,.

How can he continue as her lead counsel?

Right. Remember her list about who she wanted to sue.
The A’s have been playing games with the law for decades.
Tim J is too connected with the Tallahassee court to be objective.
He would not admit the state or the judge were in error. Until the end of the day.
I had respect for the Judge until he laughed twice today like this is a big joke.
Maybe he knows much of it is his fault for even allowing Rashbaum to represent two family members back to back.
How is it all the sleuths without a law degree saw this coming and the judge didn’t?
Somehow with the new developments with Markus recently, there just may be so much more involved.
I agree. And it's funny you mentioned about Markus. That is exactly what I thought as well. That I am sure he did not want to go up there for the trial. But he was the former attorney representing Charlie. Who knows if he raised any issues with anyone or who knows what. I also agree that there is blame to go around for everyone from both sides and the bench. I am really scratching my head that the state wanted to go forward still even with all of those issues for an appeal.

Last edited:

Agree with everything you said. I think they have always been playing 4D chess given the caliber of Wendi's lawyers, etc Not Rashy, but Wendi's. But let's see if there is a really good explanation of how potentially the state could get in all that they need without Wendi's testimony. If it is plausible, and more than plausible,if it is as strong a case without her. maybe they will charge her and bring them both to trial at the same time. Introduce all of the evidence that they had through her another way.

My understanding is that whether oral or written, CA always had the right to revoke any waiver that he gave, which is why DR should have never been on this case. Terrible. JMO.
Yes! Hearing that today ( did he was able to rescind the waiver at any time) made it all the more apparent how insane the whole plan was. I don't understand how the judge allowed it, I don't know why the state went with it, none of it makes any sense to me. I understand from the state's perspective that all of this was still fresh in their mind, and it was easier to try the case only 10 months later; however, given all the inherent appealable issues due to the conflict, I just don't understand how they proceeded with any of this.

How can he continue as her lead counsel?
This is what I want to know as well. I don't understand how Morris is not tainted either. He said he's going to go on his lead counsel. He said it opens up different avenues for defenses for her. He also said that you never know that there may be some plea deal.

As was said in the other post relating to this clip, I did not hear that Charlie was objecting to DR continuing as Donna's attorney. I just heard that he wouldn't waive. That is huge. To me, that really ups the ante in terms of thinking, this was all premeditated IMO. I also think part of the endgame is to make the state so upset about how long this is taking and going to take to get to Wendy, etc., that they agreed to some sort of deal for Donna. The question is, what kind of deal can you make with someone who is 74 years old on 1sr degree murder?

This is what I want to know as well. I don't understand how Morris is not tainted either. He said he's going to go on his lead counsel. He said it opens up different avenues for defenses for her. He also said that you never know that there may be some plea deal.

As was said in the other post relating to this clip, I did not hear that Charlie was objecting to DR continuing as Donna's attorney. I just heard that he wouldn't waive. That is huge. To me, that really ups the ante in terms of thinking, this was all premeditated IMO. I also think part of the endgame is to make the state so upset about how long this is taking and going to take to get to Wendy, etc., that they agreed to some sort of deal for Donna. The question is, what kind of deal can you make with someone who is 74 years old on 1sr degree murder?

IMO, the only acceptable deal for the State for DA would be to give up Wendi. And what would constitute a good deal for DA given her age ? I'm pretty sure DA knows she's going to die in state prison like Charlie.

IMO, the only acceptable deal for the State for DA would be to give up Wendi. And what would constitute a good deal for DA given her age ? I'm pretty sure DA knows she's going to die in state prison like Charlie.
We will have to see, but I don't see Donna giving up Wendi. I do think it was the strategy the whole time to make the prosecution do all the preparation, and wait until the day before trial to spring this so that they might be more willing to make a deal.

I think that not waiving a conflict of interest is tantamount to objecting to that lawyer representing another individual. Under Florida Bar Rule 4-1.9(a) (which was cited by CA's attorney today) an attorney must get informed consent (i.e., a waiver) to represent another person in the same or a substantially related matter in which that person's interests are materially adverse to the interests of the former client. Rule 4-1.9 - CONFLICT OF INTEREST; FORMER CLIENT, R. Regul. Fl. Bar 4-1.9 | Casetext Search + Citator. So because CA would not tell DR that he was waiving a conflict of interest, DR said he need to withdraw. JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back