FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Having now listened to that Alex Morris interview, I don't know what to think. The final comment about a plea - Is it simply a case of Morris being a better lawyer so he never wants to rule out pleas even when he knows that's highly unlikely? As @Missyrocks5 posted, Donna is almost 80yo and the charges are grave. Strange ( Unless this is more about Charlie?)

On top of that I watched MentourLawyer's latest and there's certain questions which leave him baffled. ( Has to be said that ML didn't call the risk right after the weekend motions but that doesn't make me discount the questions he's asking now)

While every lawyer following this case warned of conflict issues from the outset nobody predicted that this would occur on the eve of trial, hence the ' bombshell' and ' grenade' phrases bandied around

Charlie's appeal extension expires today. Maybe as his appeal progresses we'll get a better sense of what's happening behind the scenes?

Last edited:
I believe Tim said that the “independent counsel” who appeared yesterday used to work for him. It will be interesting to me if he stays on the case with Morris. I don’t think the judge made it clear whether he would be allowed to do that, although I believe that was discussed in the meeting in-camera that we didn’t see.
and Komisar has also worked with Morris in the past. Komisar is a former prosecutor too. Small world?

I also agree on the Donna reactions. For me, that was genuine anguish from Donna. Anguish for herself sure & I have no sympathy for her predicament. I don't think she anticipated losing Dan when she got up in the morning whereas it was clear to Rashbaum ( As proven by the hotmic at 8.30am when he's caught mentioning to Georgia that he's concerned about a Bar sanction. Neiman /his other partner surely would have expressed their concern too. Reputational damage. With respect to @minusfour 's post I also can't imagine that the Defense wanted this debacle. )

and @IQuestion re your post 831 on this page. DR going to end up as witness re the hot mic but also in more trouble re riding the two horses? If that happened would Donna try to explain it away because she still has this strange loyalty to Dan?

Last edited:
I believe Tim said that the “independent counsel” who appeared yesterday used to work for him. It will be interesting to me if he stays on the case with Morris. I don’t think the judge made it clear whether he would be allowed to do that, although I believe that was discussed in the meeting in-camera that we didn’t see.
That Attorney, with all due respect, looks like he graduated law school yesterday. How was that dude going to do a first-degree murder case? I mean, maybe he is a Doogie Howser of lawyers but...

Alex Morris was never Charlie's attorney. And there was a hearing in chambers this afternoon where the judge was satisfied that Morris wasn't passed any privileged information by Rashbaum. So Charlie doesn't really have any grounds to object, nor does Morris need a waiver from him.

I don't think this was some kind of grand scheme, but I do believe that Charlie is in his cell tonight, laughing his butt off because he threw a spanner into the works. The fact that he apparently verbally agreed to waive the conflict yet didn't sign the document does suggest some premeditation on his part. Was he was always planning to cause havoc? It completely fits in with his personality and he's got nothing to lose.

Actually he does have something to lose - there is nothing preventing the FDC requesting Charlie to be moved permanently back from South Dakota to a Florida prison.

Maybe not. He might have not told his mother things he told Dan.

i believe she was really upset, because this was something which she did not want, and which directly affected HER.
Why wasn’t Harvey there? I think they knew what was going to happen. Imo.

Having now listened to that Alex Morris interview, I don't know what to think. The final comment about a plea - Is it simply a case of Morris being a better lawyer so he never wants to rule out pleas even when he knows that's highly unlikely? As @Missyrocks5 posted, Donna is almost 80yo and the charges are grave. Strange ( Unless this is more about Charlie?)

On top of that I watched MentourLawyer's latest and there's certain questions which leave him baffled. ( Has to be said that ML didn't call the risk right after the weekend motions but that doesn't make me discount the questions he's asking now)

While every lawyer following this case warned of conflict issues from the outset nobody predicted that this would occur on the eve of trial, hence the ' bombshell' and ' grenade' phrases bandied around

Charlie's appeal extension expires today. Maybe as his appeal progresses we'll get a better sense of what's happening behind the scenes?

“Stay tuned” by GC was never about pleas. Where did he get that from? Totally misrepresented her comment. Glad they called him on it.

Tragos' mind is boggled, he says
and that the responsibility for this IHO is 99% on the Defense

Last edited:
Disappointed in the delay but glad to try to eliminate possible real appeal issues for DA and CA (I know he is appealing his conviction but most every guilty party does that and few are successful). This has dragged on long enough already, a few more months won't matter much.

Not to be a naysayer since the delay could possibly be only a few months as you say, BUT what if DA ends up with an entire new crew to represent her? That could easily make it a year or more before a trial starts. This thing has dragged on too long. Way past time for the state to put things in motion for WA and HA and give the Markels some belated justice. They have waited long enough. The state needs to finish this thing or get someone in charge that will. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clue22349
Back