FL - Henry Sengaroun for rape of 8yo girl, St Petersburg, 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
southcitymom said:
Nothing in this world is ever 100% preventable. Thinking otherwise might make us feel safer, but it is not a sentiment based in reality. We just aren't powerful enough to prevent everything.

None of us has any idea what would have happened in this case had the mother stayed in the park with the children or taken them back to the house wih her.

I have read some posts on this thread with which I vehemently disagree, but I haven't read any thing that comes close to the level of cruelty that the post suggesting this woman didn't care that her child was raped reaches. Unbelievable.

At least one of the articles regarding this case talked about how rare crime in this neighborhood was and how absolutely odd it was for someone to attack a child in broad daylight - especially in this area. I have read numerous articles on this case and watched several television broadcasts and not one single person involved with or interviewed for those stories has even slightly hinted that the mother did something to lead to this tragedy.

The only place I see people attacking this mother (while, ironically, insisting that they aren't attacking her at all) is here.

:waitasec:
Was there information posted somewhere about the crime rate in that area? Regardless, you just don't leave children alone in a park. Well some of you might and I hope we never read anything about your children being victims of any crime bc of it.

southcitymom said:
Nothing in this world is ever 100% preventable. Thinking otherwise might make us feel safer, but it is not a sentiment based in reality. We just aren't powerful enough to prevent everything.

None of us has any idea what would have happened in this case had the mother stayed in the park with the children or taken them back to the house wih her.

I have read some posts on this thread with which I vehemently disagree, but I haven't read any thing that comes close to the level of cruelty that the post suggesting this woman didn't care that her child was raped reaches. Unbelievable.

At least one of the articles regarding this case talked about how rare crime in this neighborhood was and how absolutely odd it was for someone to attack a child in broad daylight - especially in this area. I have read numerous articles on this case and watched several television broadcasts and not one single person involved with or interviewed for those stories has even slightly hinted that the mother did something to lead to this tragedy.

The only place I see people attacking this mother (while, ironically, insisting that they aren't attacking her at all) is here.

:waitasec:

I already answered. Move on.

...she swims 70 laps in a pool each day during swim practice, 6 days a week, and plays ice hockey with boys...She is physically stronger than me, and I think, stronger in some ways than my husband (shhh....don't tell him LOL)...

That being said...I would NEVER LET HER GO ALONE TO A PARK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, end of story...

Jeana, I got "in trouble" in much the same way for my views on Danielle VDam's irresponsible parents as well...

Well, the deed is done. No amount of finger pointing is going to change what happened. I guess the only thing I can add is I am sure the mother has learned from her mistake, and hopefully other parents will learn from hers as well.

Anyway, I agree with Jeana. We really should move on as there's not much more to be said. I guess I would question why the mother of this guy was letting him roam around like this, but he was 18 so I suppose she was no longer legally responsible for him. I mean, from what I gather, she was scared of him as well. She was probably relieved he wasn't around her any longer. Out of sight, out of mind.

The important part is this guy will hopefully get locked away for quite some time.

bakerprune64 said:
Was there information posted somewhere about the crime rate in that area? Regardless, you just don't leave children alone in a park. Well some of you might and I hope we never read anything about your children being victims of any crime bc of it.
Here's at least one link - there are a few others:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/21/S...ted_in_ra.shtml

Some quotes from this article:
"The brazen nature of the rape also shocked authorities and experts."

"Lin Huff-Corzine, an expert in criminal behavior at the University of Central Florida, said the manner of the rape was exceptionally unusual."

"Rapes occur more often in secluded areas, and are usually committed by people who know their victims, she said. "Rapists have a tendency to enjoy stalking their victim," she said."

"The crime was unusual for the neighborhood, where only two calls reporting sexual battery have been made to police in the past year."

What a dirty this perp is. My sympathies go out to this little girl and her family. They will know a hell that I pray none of us ever know.

I hope they lock this sewer creature up and never let him back into society.

I am sick of our children being victimized.

Focus your anger on these sick and evil creatures instead of blaming the mother for the actions of a predator.

Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them. Hindsight is 20/20. Do not think for a second that this mother isn't living her own nightmare.

Socks said:
What a dirty this perp is. My sympathies go out to this little girl and her family. They will know a hell that I pray none of us ever know.

I hope they lock this sewer creature up and never let him back into society.

I am sick of our children being victimized.

Focus your anger on these sick and evil creatures instead of blaming the mother for the actions of a predator.

Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them. Hindsight is 20/20. Do not think for a second that this mother isn't living her own nightmare.

This happens to many of us. My little sister was missing for 11 years before her remains were found. The fact of the matter is that it happens. Do we want to be stubborn and hold on to the false belief that our children are safe or do we want to take every precaution possible? That's all I'm trying to get to, bottom line. It only takes us looking away for one minute.

Jeana (DP) said:
This happens to many of us. My little sister was missing for 11 years before her remains were found. The fact of the matter is that it happens. Do we want to be stubborn and hold on to the false belief that our children are safe or do we want to take every precaution possible? That's all I'm trying to get to, bottom line. It only takes us looking away for one minute.
I am so sorry about your sister, Jeana. I am very close with both my younger sisters and can only imagine that pain.

Mother-to-mother - are you truly able to keep your eye on your children every minute? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or to set anyone up - people have made that claim on this thread and I am trying to understand it and to understand what is meant by that statement and how it is even possible.

My boys are 3 and 5 and are, of course, under someone's loving watchful eye most of the time. But there have been some times when they have gotten out of sight - and I am, contrary to what some people here might think, a vigilant parent.

southcitymom said:
I am so sorry about your sister, Jeana. I am very close with both my younger sisters and can only imagine that pain.

Mother-to-mother - are you truly able to keep your eye on your children every minute? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or to set anyone up - people have made that claim on this thread and I am trying to understand it and to understand what is meant by that statement and how it is even possible.

My boys are 3 and 5 and are, of course, under someone's loving watchful eye most of the time. But there have been some times when they have gotten out of sight - and I am, contrary to what some people here might think, a vigilant parent.

If they're not with me, they're with another adult. My husband works from home and when I'm at work, they've got two nannies, even when he's there. They do not walk to or from anyone's house alone, we drive them to school and the nanny picks them up if we can't. They don't go to the mall or to the movies alone and I attend every school function, after school function and fiield trip. If they spend the night at another child's home, I make sure that there are no firearms, dogs, or anything else that makes me nervous, including older brothers who may have been in trouble with the law. If they're in my backyard swimming, an adult is with them and we've got a 9 foot privacy fence that you can't even see through. And they both have GPS devices in their cell phones. I've taken just about every precaution I can think of, but if you think of any I've missed, I'd be happy to hear it!

Jeana (DP) said:
If they're not with me, they're with another adult. My husband works from home and when I'm at work, they've got two nannies, even when he's there. They do not walk to or from anyone's house alone, we drive them to school and the nanny picks them up if we can't. They don't go to the mall or to the movies alone and I attend every school function, after school function and fiield trip. If they spend the night at another child's home, I make sure that there are no firearms, dogs, or anything else that makes me nervous, including older brothers who may have been in trouble with the law. If they're in my backyard swimming, an adult is with them and we've got a 9 foot privacy fence that you can't even see through. And they both have GPS devices in their cell phones. I've taken just about every precaution I can think of, but if you think of any I've missed, I'd be happy to hear it!
How old are they?

Jeana (DP) said:
Thanks for your response. As pre-teens, do you ever think they try to sneak away and do things - or is that not in their nature or personalities?

Do you have an age in mind where you might be comfortable with them walking to a friends house alone or going to a movie with friends alone? Or is that one of those things that you will just know when you are comfortable allowing that?

What about dating when they are teenagers - or do you not want them dating that young?

southcitymom said:
Thanks for your response. As pre-teens, do you ever think they try to sneak away and do things - or is that not in their nature or personalities?

Do you have an age in mind where you might be comfortable with them walking to a friends house alone or going to a movie with friends alone? Or is that one of those things that you will just know when you are comfortable allowing that?

What about dating when they are teenagers - or do you not want them dating that young?

No, they haven't snuck anywhere yet. My son is in band and plays football and is on the track team and he also maintains a straight "A" average, so he doesn't have much free time. My daughter is just too youing to even think about that yet. She's also in band and maintains an "A" average. When they're not with me, they're with one of the nannies, my husband or the parent of one of their friends that we know well.

Well have to wait and see on the other stuff. We're not anywhere near any of that stuff yet!~ :doh:

This bickering seems pretty silly-especially with a moderator. No one can keep their children safe 100% of the time and to think you can do so is very sad. My sister was brutally murdered, raped and her boyfriend's throat slit. She was 20 years old. My mother feels horrible every day. There was NOTHING she could have done but she still feels like it was her baby and she should have protected her. Back to this situation... this guy was obviously crazy enough that could have done the same thing with the mother right there.

mocity said:
This bickering seems pretty silly-especially with a moderator. No one can keep their children safe 100% of the time and to think you can do so is very sad. My sister was brutally murdered, raped and her boyfriend's throat slit. She was 20 years old. My mother feels horrible every day. There was NOTHING she could have done but she still feels like it was her baby and she should have protected her. Back to this situation... this guy was obviously crazy enough that could have done the same thing with the mother right there.

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. No one should have to go through this.

mocity said:
I am so sorry about your sister. As a mother, I can't imagine that type of pain.

Yes, we have gotten a bit heated about this topic - champion debaters that we are. But when all is said and done, everybody's heart goes out to this family and to the terrible thing that has befallen them. If any of us could turn back time and undo the damage, we would.

Jeana (DP) said:
No, they haven't snuck anywhere yet. My son is in band and plays football and is on the track team and he also maintains a straight "A" average, so he doesn't have much free time. My daughter is just too youing to even think about that yet. She's also in band and maintains an "A" average. When they're not with me, they're with one of the nannies, my husband or the parent of one of their friends that we know well.

Well have to wait and see on the other stuff. We're not anywhere near any of that stuff yet!~ :doh:
I'm not looking forward to any of that stuff either. Probably because I was a very rebellious preteen/teen! Thanks for your responses.

southcitymom said:
I am so sorry about your sister. As a mother, I can't imagine that type of pain.

Yes, we have gotten a bit heated about this topic - champion debaters that we are. But when all is said and done, everybody's heart goes out to this family and to the terrible thing that has befallen them. If any of us could turn back time and undo the damage, we would.
I'm sorry also no one should have to deal with that kind of pain, like you said regardless of how anyone feels a little girl was raped. My prayers go out to her and to her family.

southcitymom said:
I'm not looking forward to any of that stuff either. Probably because I was a very rebellious preteen/teen! Thanks for your responses.

Me and my three sisters put my poor mother through hell. I fear that my daughter is the curse my mother put on me when she said "when you grow up, I hope you have a daughter just like you . . . " you know the saying. She's all sugar and spice and everything nice right now, but I had a glimpse of things to come once when she stared me down when she was a year old and didn't get her way with me once. I couldn't believe she was doing it, but I knew right then and there that I was in big trouble. I think that's why I'm so strict with them now, so they won't think they can get away with anything. I've done just about everything there is to do anyway, so hopefully I'll have some wisdom to share with them. I dread the stage where we're going to fight though.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmia2020
Back