FL Hulking Florida teen who beat teacher unconscious over Nintendo Switch pleads guilty

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If by long-term inpatient facility you mean a forensic facility, then I agree. He may end up in the forensic section of a state hospital depending on the resources in his state, but your ordinary mental health hospital is not going to take him, nor should they. If he gets a reduced charge, he needs a residential facility, like a group home, not a hospital, IMO.
What is a "forensic" facility? TIA

Wouldn't placing him in a group home unjustly jeopardize the safety of the other members in that home?

I was a substitute teacher in high schools for a few years. You don't see this often. When it comes to children on the spectrum, there are ways of doing things that don't upset them so much. The thing is, someone trained in this should have been called. I wasn't afraid of my students, but there were some that needed a different touch. One of my students was friends with my son and spent time (overnight) at our house and went on to kill 2 women. You just never know. If they knew this student was on the spectrum, then they knew they should have handled it differently.
IMO, beyond the obvious victim blaming, your statement is positing that all persons on the spectrum are inherently violent - due only to being on the spectrum. I disagree with that. It may be that this young man is a criminal who happens to be on the spectrum. AMOO

I find it odd how his mother allowed him to attend regular schooling while being aware of the extent of his disabilities. Whilst not to this extent, I have doubts that there were no previous red flags of violent behaviour. Even without them, I do not believe somebody with the mental maturity of a 4-6 year old should be attending a regular high school.

MOO
It's not just the mother's choices at play here. The law states that students are entitled to being educated in the "least restrictive environment." Shockingly, the school psychologist had to have been on board also.

The title of this thread, it says hulking teen”. Meaning big teenager or something else? Why would a physical description be part of the title of this thread? I’ve not seen that here before as far as I can recall.

Edited to add: and now that he is 18, why not just have his name in the title?

Last edited:
Brendan Depa. Prison Sentence.

"The bulky special needs student... has been sentenced to five years in a Florida state prison...."*
"He pleaded no contest to the aggravated battery charges against him October and was originally due to be sentenced in May 2024, but the judge delayed the hearing so he could hear from more witnesses."

Max. sentence could have been 30 yrs.

"But the decision from Judge Terence Perkins to give Depa 25 years less than that could have do with the exculpatory testimony that came from his mother and arguments from his defense team...."

"Once he finishes out his five year sentence, Depa will be subject to 15 years of supervised probation."

"6'6" monster schoolboy learns his fate for beating up tiny female school aide"

^^^ Headline in DM Aug. 7^^^
Interesting that article describes Brendan Depa, who was 17 at the time of the beating, as a SCHOOL BOY.
To many that would suggest grade school or middle school student, not a 17 yo.
OTOH age is relative.

Didn’t keep up with this case, read about it when it first happened. He should have been given more time.
If she had been killed by this individual I wonder how ppl would respond.

I know someone that is on the spectrum, 25 years old allowed to stay in the basement bedroom 22-23 hours a day, only comes up when no ones around. He was allowed to quit school at 16. His one job is to take trash to curb once a week. He’s angry all the time, never smiles or laughs. Now his grandmother passed away, who he treated poorly but she allowed it. Husband told him one day if he ever talked to her the way he did one day in front of him again he would knock the poo out of him.

Since her death he theatened to kill himself, crisis center was called they came and took him for three- four days.
He’s back now until the house is sold.

No one in the family wants anything to do with him, other then his father and he wants nothing to do with him.

Jmo

Honestly this is just such a sad and depressing case full of failures all around. The school system failed both Depa and Naydich in this situation by allowing a student with such high support needs who had a history of violence to attend the school while at the same time seeming to not follow specific guidance provided by his mother on how to best approach him, most likely due to understaffing. The community and medical industry let down the Depa family and Naydich by having very few resources/housing options that could safely accommodate a large and strong minor without requiring them to attend school.

There is a person in my life who has level 3 autism. He is only 12 right now but very large for his age with a dad who is 6'5". He has hurt people before, including hurting a teacher by throwing a chair at her. His family is not rich and there are few resources they can access. I have seen firsthand how difficult it is for them and I can't help but wonder how many more cases similar to this we will see before a change is made in our healthcare/education system.

Imo five years is quite lenient.
Let's hope BD has time to think about his actions and the consequences.
I'm fearful for those who he will be around after he's released, tbh.
Hope Ms. Naydich is continuing to heal.
She could have been killed.
Omo.

This sounds like someone else wrote it for him ?
Not sure if BD is truly remorseful.
Imo.

"..... I am happy to see the injuries I inflicted did not leave any permanent scars or bruises.'
In a choice between letting this incident destroy, define, or strengthen me, I have chosen to let it strengthen me.....'
B D, then 17, left Joan Naydich, 59, with concussion, hearing loss and five broken ribs in a prolonged attack at Palm Coast's Matanzas High School in February last year.

But Naydich said she is unlikely ever to fully recover from the beating.
'Every day is a challenge,' she said. 'I have lived every day since with the repercussions of it, the assault of it, whether it be hearing loss that I have, vision loss, headaches.'

So as long as there were no permanent scars or bruises, this wasn't so bad ?
How is this going to, 'strengthen' BD ?
Smh.
Omo.

Last edited:
"Hulking 6'6" " FL Teen Brendan Depa & Nintendo. Written Apology.
This sounds like someone else wrote it for him ?
Not sure if BD is truly remorseful.
Imo.

"..... I am happy to see the injuries I inflicted did not leave any permanent scars or bruises.'
In a choice between letting this incident destroy, define, or strengthen me, I have chosen to let it strengthen me.....'
B D, then 17, left Joan Naydich, 59, with concussion, hearing loss and five broken ribs in a prolonged attack at Palm Coast's Matanzas High School in February last year.
But Naydich said she is unlikely ever to fully recover from the beating.

'Every day is a challenge,' she said. 'I have lived every day since with the repercussions of it, the assault of it, whether it be hearing loss that I have, vision loss, headaches.'

So as long as there were no permanent scars or bruises, this wasn't so bad ?
How is this going to, 'strengthen' BD ?
Smh.
Omo.
@Chimera Thanks for your post w update & link.
Yep, am questioning whether he wrote this. Maybe part of it:
"letting things happen the way that they did."

Just HAPPENED? Like he did not CAUSE the injuries?
imo

Link has a pdf/image of the handwritten note.

Last edited:
FL Teen Brendan Depa & Nintendo.* Written Apology. TIMING?

At sentencing last week, "Judge Terence Perkins said he had not heard a word of remorse from the 270 pound teen as he jailed him last week."*
[ETA: "In his sentencing, Perkins also cited testimony from a state witness, a psychologist, who said Depa knew what he did was wrong." *]
Apology said "Many people claimed I feel no remorse for the incident..." *

Regardless of who actually worded this, WHEN was it written? Daily Mail's image of the apology shows NO DATE.
".... Depa's current tutor has produced an apology he says the autistic student wrote while in custody." *

We often see these kinds of apologies offered after conviction but BEFORE sentencing. If it was written before sentencing, seems unusual imo that it did not surface until a week after that.

Was apology ginned up w a view toward his appeal (which seems almost inevitable imo)? IDK.

Last edited:
FL Teen Brendan Depa & Nintendo.* Written Apology. TIMING?

At sentencing last week, "Judge Terence Perkins said he had not heard a word of remorse from the 270 pound teen as he jailed him last week."
Apology said "Many people claimed I feel no remorse for the incident..."

Regardless of who actually worded this, WHEN was it written? Daily Mail's image of the apology shows NO DATE.
".... Depa's current tutor has produced an apology he says the autistic student wrote while in custody."

We often see these kinds of apologies offered after conviction but BEFORE sentencing. If it was written before sentencing, seems unusual imo that it did not surface until a week after that.

Was apology ginned up w a view toward his appeal (which seems almost inevitable imo)? IDK.

Good points, btw !
Omo.

Wasn't BD custody pre trial? If not, I misremembered. My apology for that.

6'6" FL. Teen Brendan Depa & Nintendo. Sentencing. Timing of Apology?
Bbm.
Hmmm.
Good points, btw !
Omo.
@Chimera Thx for your response. :)

Not clear to me if the tutor who provided the apology was tutoring BD, only pre-sentencing, or only starting post-sentencing, or both pre- and post-sentencing.
Regardless, still strikes me as unusual that if the apology was written pre-sentencing that it SURFACED post-sentencing.

To whom was the apology actually directed?
Does not seem to have been directed toward the victim.
To the trial court judge? If so, why, post-sentencing? No reason I can see.
To someone else? IDK

The timing suggests imo that the apology may have been written after the sentencing, w a view toward appellate procedure. Seems likely that there will be an appeal. ICBWrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back