FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up. Can somebody verify that was said by law enforcement, versus him or third party..that he was allowed to *go back to a submerged vessel* to retreive.

Just wanting to review source and semantics with a link.

Hellman's sister said Bennett said the Coast Guard allowed him to retrieve a backpack from the boat. In it was his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and documents related to the boat, according to the sister.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...ut-trip-questions-what-happened-to-her-sister

According to this unrelated article, it took this person 22 hours to sail from Key West to Havana, Cuba recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-scott/another-trip-across-saili_b_10026378.html

BTW, Cay Sal appears too far east if Bennett's intended port was Key West.

In an article titled "FBI joins search for Florida woman," dated May 26, and written for The Palm Beach Post, Coast Guard spokesman, Eric Woodall, noted the boat had been in the Bahamas, and its ultimate destination was Boca Raton, FL. Lewis Bennett told Woodall that he was "bringing the boat over for hurricane season."

http://examiner-enterprise.com/nationworld/20170526/fbi-joins-search-for-florida-woman

Sorry, just noticed your most recent post on this issue.

Hellman's sister said Bennett said the Coast Guard allowed him to retrieve a backpack from the boat. In it was his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and documents related to the boat, according to the sister.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...ut-trip-questions-what-happened-to-her-sister

So, the boat was sinking "so much" that he had to get into a life boat to flee....then was rescued....but then went back to the boat, which was apparently NOT sunk yet, and was able to retrieve belongings, even an iPad??? This makes zero sense.

ETA: I'll believe this is how it went down when the Coast Guard says it, not Mr. Bennett.

So, the boat was sinking "so much" that he had to get into a life boat to flee....then was rescued....but then went back to the boat, which was apparently NOT sunk yet, and was able to retrieve belongings, even an iPad??? This makes zero sense.

Exactly.

Unless he left the backpack on the lifeBOAT and they dropped him back down to retrieve it?

That would mean he had the phone with him the entire time?

Too many conflicting statements!

The original pictures of the cat were taken by the Coast Guard, assuming it was during the rescue or soon thereafter during daylight. It was 5:00 a.m.

40CEC8A900000578-4555370-image-a-4_1496157021605.jpg

Lost: This was how the United States Coast Guard found the Surf Into Summer in the waters of the Bahamas off Cay Sal, the day after Bennett last saw his wife on its deck at 8pm

40F078A800000578-4555370-image-a-9_1496159429021.jpg

Search: The Coast Guard released images of the search for Lewis Bennett's missing wife, which spread out from the hull of their capsized catamaran

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...robe-wife-vanishing-speaks.html#ixzz4iiKhKMTD

more updates:

April 8 - Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s 1986 37-foot Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 catamaran came in, named "Surf Into Summer", listing Sydney, Australia as the home port.
April 26 - Bennett flew from London to Fort Lauderdale and the couple was going to take a flight to the Caribbean to begin their trip.
April 29 - Hellman posted on Facebook: “Caribbean, here I come,” along with a map bearing a dotted line from South Florida to St. Maarten.
April 30 - Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s boat left for the trip.
May 1 - Hellman posts from Puerto Rico, referencing "another day in paradise".
May 2 - Hellman posts from the British Virgin Islands.
May 3 - Hellman's cellphone breaks and all contact from this point on was through Bennett's iPad.
May 14 - 5:30 p.m. - Catamaran leaves Havana, Cuba, with a final destination of Boca Raton, FL. Officials said the catamaran's last port of call was Cuba.
May 14 - 8:00 p.m. - Bennett goes below deck to sleep, leaving Hellman at the helm of the boat wearing a life vest.
May 14 - 8:25 p.m. - Hellmann called her family to say she had left Cuba and was at sea, saying the satellite phone had been malfunctioning, but the couple had gotten it working and “we’re heading home.” Hellman's sister said the satellite phone did not activate until hours before Isabella’s disappearance. 'They connect[ed] it that Sunday night. She called me at 8:25 p.m. and said 'oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard,' her sister said, recalling the conversation with Isabella. 'She said ‘I’m in the middle of the ocean right now, we left Cuba.'
May 14 - 1:00 a.m.-1:35 a.m. - Bennett said he awoke to something hitting the boat and felt that it was starting to sink. Bennett used a satellite phone to call the International Response Coordination Center, a private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard. When he saw the catamaran was taking on water, he dropped the lifeboat into the water and got into it, fired his emergency position beacon — commonly called an EPIRB. The catamaran is now 30 miles west of Cay Sal, which is about 100 miles southeast of Key West and about 130 miles east-northeast of Havana.
May 15 - 3:00 a.m. - Hellman's sister said she woke up to several missed calls and voice mails. One was from the satellite phone from Bennett who said, 'this is an emergency, you need to call the Coast Guard. This is my coordinates.'
May 15 - 4:30 a.m.-4:50 a.m. - The Coast Guard chopper pinpointed Bennett floating in a life raft with a personal locator beacon about 1,000 yards from the now upside-down Surf into Summer and in about 4,800 feet of water. Bennett said the USCG allowed him to retrieve a backpack from the catamaran; in it was his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and documents related to the boat. A basket pulled Bennett from his raft in 2-to-4-foot seas and taken to Marathon Key, FL. He told the USCG he was unable to find his wife and had no choice but to abandon the vessel. Hellmann’s family picked him up that afternoon and brought him to their home in Boca Raton.
May 15 - within hours of when Bennett would have been rescued, a neighbor said she saw a car parked downstairs belonging to Hellmann’s sister.
May 17 - Neighbor said she saw five relatives go into Bennett/Hellman's Delray Beach apartment.
May 17 evening - His first first time back in his Delray Beach apartment. Hellmann’s engagement ring, electronics and an expensive handbag were gone. A neighbor told him that she’d seen the family in the apartment. Bennett said he was considering “civil action” against Hellman's family members who he believes went into his condo while he was in Cuba.
May 17 - Neighbor said he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy. “He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” The neighbor said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me too".
May 17 or 18 (day before USCG search called off) - Hellman's best friend pleaded with Bennett not to leave the country with the couple’s baby. “I begged him to please understand that the family lost Isabella and the only piece of Isabella left was (the baby), and he just can’t leave and take (her).” "He said he understands, but he’s got his life in Australia.” The best friend reminded Bennett, at the Hellmann family home in Boca Raton, about the huge effort by family and friends to find the two Tequesta teens lost at sea in 2015, and “suggested he do his own search. I mean, he’s a captain. He knows the sea. He knows the area. Do something. Not stay here. I would be looking for my wife."
May 18 - U.S. Coast Guard called off the search after searching 6,680 square miles of sea.
May 19 - the key lock on Bennett’s front door had been replaced with an electronic keypad. Bennett contacted deputies to file a complaint. Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office confirms.
May 20-23 - Bennett and baby stay at the apartment. Also that weekend, Bennett told a neighbor he wanted to search for his wife but had lost his passport when the vessel sank. He said he had obtained a temporary one but that it barred him from leaving the country right away.
May 23 - 8:30 p.m. - neighbor said she saw “official-looking” men with latex gloves and Bennett out by his car
May 24 - another neighbor was walking his dog and saw Bennett “bringing stuff out. He had someone helping him. They were throwing stuff in the dumpster.”
May 25 - Bennett's car is gone.
May 26 or 27 - CBS 12 visited the apartment. No one was home, but two boxes marked evidence were left on the front stoop-- one was open at the top, and they could see inside. The item looked like a piece of inflatable marine equipment, possibly a life-vest.
May 27 - Bennett returns from Cuba. He said he “met the authorities there and checked every hospital, but there is no sign of her.”
May 28 - Bennett went to Boca Raton to pick up the baby, he returns to Hellman's family's home with a Boca Raton police officer demanding the baby’s things.

In addition:

The Coast Guard said responders inspected the boat “the best they could from the surface,” and never saw what it might have struck. The catamaran is steered by a tiller alongside a canvas seat, near the stern, close enough that a person in it could be flung overboard by the impact of a collision. It was too dangerous for anyone from the Coast Guard to go inside the boat and that divers banged on the hull but no one answered. The agency does not believe Hellmann’s body is inside.

The catamaran’s pontoons had neither visible holes nor obvious places where water could have filled them, but there were deep scrapes at the back ends of each. A Coast Guard photo shows the catamaran upside down with one pontoon below the surface and the other above the water line.
Excellent timeline! But one little thing.... BBM. That should be May 15 1:00-1:35 am. A few hours later he was rescued, that same morning.

There is only one reason I find the husband's behavior questionable. With wife recently missing, presumed lost at sea, he is throwing stuff away from their home? Seems he'd grieve and cherish it, at least for a bit.

Otherwise, so far I don't really find anything super odd about his behavior. Especially while at sea, in the night, during a tragic accident where his life was in jeopardy. People don't think straight during those times.

About the satellite phone. They didn't need it until they were embarking on their journey. I would wait until then also, to extend the battery life.

Excellent timeline! But one little thing.... BBM. That should be May 15 1:00-1:35 am. A few hours later he was rescued, that same morning.

There is only one reason I find the husband's behavior questionable. With wife recently missing, presumed lost at sea, he is throwing stuff away from their home? Seems he'd grieve and cherish it, at least for a bit.

Otherwise, so far I don't really find anything super odd about his behavior. Especially while at sea, in the night, during a tragic accident where his life was in jeopardy. People don't think straight during those times.

What if Mr. Bennett and his friend were simply discarding perishable items, such as stuff in the referigator, or discarding his personal effects, such as clothing, etc., because he thought he wouldn't be coming back to the condo, and Isabella's sisters, etc., could have her stuff?
I am extremely naive or an eternal optimist or just plain stupid. :gaah:

What about his statement to the sister when she asked him why he did not try to search for her,he says it was best to stay on course.Someone goes overboard you try to at least look around.His gps should show his course.

What about his statement to the sister when she asked him why he did not try to search for her,he says it was best to stay on course.Someone goes overboard you try to at least look around.His gps should show his course.
I don't know the rules of sailing on the ocean, but it sounds like he responded robotically, as trained.

The below is not related to this case, but these types of things do happen out there. A barge that was being towed broke loose, and was free floating until it beached itself. In reading, it didn't sound like the boat towing it was tracking it, or intending to fetch it until they got a call from the coast guard. Who knows how often these sorts of things happen.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/20170524/barge-washes-ashore-at-st-andrews-state-park

What if Mr. Bennett and his friend were simply discarding perishable items, such as stuff in the referigator, or discarding his personal effects, such as clothing, etc., because he thought he wouldn't be coming back to the condo, and Isabella's sisters, etc., could have her stuff?
Good point. :)

About the satellite phone. They didn't need it until they were embarking on their journey. I would wait until then also, to extend the battery life.

They had been travelling for 2 weeks. What if something had happened on the seas from let's say St. Maarten to Puerto Rico.

Haha, you're none of those things. I thought this as well. I think it was probably just trash taken to the dumpster!

I had previously thought that he went back to get the babies things, but this report is saying he was confronting them about the missing items.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/husband-under-investigation-for-wifes-disappearance

"Two weeks after the report of the boating incident, Bennett called police for a "civil standby while he collected items from his in-laws home." According to the report, Bennett had their nine-month-old child with him.

Bennett, according to police, wanted to retrieve a computer, iPad, engagement ring, clothes and handbags. Bennett told police he believed someone had taken the items from his home and he wanted them back. He said he had security cameras to prove it.

Police said Hellmann's sister started yelling at him, claiming he killed her sister. The police officer and Bennett decided it was best for him to leave."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee