FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he falls asleep.

Having your only means of staying alive being tied to a boat that has some chance of sinking seems a really really bad idea.

Well he had just slept for 5 hours so that's a pretty good rest.

Unless he falls asleep.

Having your only means of staying alive being tied to a boat that has some chance of sinking seems a really really bad idea.

Yeah, was thinking i would definitely only tie one end to the capsized boat and just hold onto the other end with free hand. It would not be a good idea to tie the raft end.

But I would surely want to stay with the capsized boat to give myself a chance of being seen from above. A small raft may not be spotted.

I think he was pretty lucky he was still close to the boat . If he was like a mile away or more then they may not have found him.

I'm on the fence
Against him - shady behaviour, if she was inexperienced, not getting along with family in time of crisis and already left country and not retrieved the cat.
For - maybe the inexperience is compared to him, upthread it's stated they had sailed before with others so maybe enough experience to be in charge and I imagine there's a lot to get ready just before and then manoeuvring out of a port so it was time to rest then if water appeared calm and they were on course. Not sure what to make of family taking things like a computer. But leaving to be with own family makes sense if you don't have support, also not retrieving boat may be down to having it a right off instead of fixing. Like a car in a crash some people would prefer not to have it fixed as it's not the same. The unemotional could be a state of grief. I am known to be vocal and wear my heart on sleeve however when I have been deeply grieved I am robotic and been told very distant and appear unapproachable. It must be coping thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that the call where her sister said Isabella did not inquire about the baby as she had been doing?

No, that call was another call earlier in the week:

On either on the 11th or 12th, Dayana received a call from Isabella and said she found it strange that every other time Isabella asked about the baby and asked detailed questions, but not this time. She just asked if they were getting ready for the graduation. Dayana still thought Isabella was going to surprise her at the ceremony. But Saturday came and went and no sign of Isabella.

On May 14, Dayana receives a call from a strange number which turned out to be the satellite phone.

“They connect it that Sunday night,” said Dayana “She called me at 8:25 p.m. and said ‘oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard,” said Dayana recalling the conversation with Isabella. “She said ‘I’m in the middle of the ocean right now, we left Cuba.’ She didn’t tell me what time but she said we left Cuba and that’s it, she said I’ll see you tomorrow.”

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...ut-trip-questions-what-happened-to-her-sister

Isabella told Dayana she would be back by May 12 to attend Dayana’s graduation on Saturday.

The couple would spend no more than two days at each island to rest and then sail to the next destination.

“They were supposed to go from St. Martin to Puerto Rico, from Puerto Rico to Cuba, and from Cuba to Key West.”

‘oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard,”

??? That phrase has confused me since I first read it. It's hard because someone told me it's hard. Weird.

I'm on the fence
Against him - shady behaviour, if she was inexperienced, not getting along with family in time of crisis and already left country and not retrieved the cat.
For - maybe the inexperience is compared to him, upthread it's stated they had sailed before with others so maybe enough experience to be in charge and I imagine there's a lot to get ready just before and then manoeuvring out of a port so it was time to rest then if water appeared calm and they were on course. Not sure what to make of family taking things like a computer. But leaving to be with own family makes sense if you don't have support, also not retrieving boat may be down to having it a right off instead of fixing. Like a car in a crash some people would prefer not to have it fixed as it's not the same. The unemotional could be a state of grief. I am known to be vocal and wear my heart on sleeve however when I have been deeply grieved I am robotic and been told very distant and appear unapproachable. It must be coping thing.

JMO
Good point about not retrieving the boat.

But his reaction and responses so soon after he gets back is very bothersome. This response below makes no sense.
If he goes up to the top and finds her missing right after hearing a noise that they hit something then there is zero excuse not to stop the boat and look for her. Plus it contradicts with him saying he noticed boat was taking on water. He obviously stopped to get in a life raft at some point so why didnt he stop to look for her right after the noise that awoke him.

""Why didn't you stop the boat and drop the anchor to do something about it?" she said she asked him, according to WPTV. "And he said he needed to keep the boat on track, so his priority was to keep the boat on track. I asked him, 'Do you think she’s alive? Do you think she’s dead?' And he said 'I think she she’s asleep.' That was his answer.""

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-lost-sea-questions-husband-article-1.3212682

Boats in deep water sometime have a drift anchor which drag by a rope and slow a boat down and keeps them from drifting because of wind.
Not sure if he had a drift anchor but the least he could have done was stopped and looked for her.

It sounds like he made no attempt to stop the boat. Which is beyond bizarre.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...443/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

‘oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard,”

??? That phrase has confused me since I first read it. It's hard because someone told me it's hard. Weird.

It is really strange.

Most of us have seen a movie where a satellite phone is in use and the typical problem is just getting a "signal" or "connection" or getting the small satellite type dish pointed to the satellites in the right direction to get a signal.

Mention of this "friend" had no reason to be part of that discussion unless he was on board.

Why do we keep hearing about "friends" and "business partners" when it was supposed to be a mini vacation for them to run an errand to get the boat.

It is really strange.

Most of us have seen a movie where a satellite phone is in use and the typical problem is just getting a "signal" or "connection" or getting the small satellite type dish pointed to the satellites in the right direction to get a signal.

Mention of this "friend" had no reason to be part of that discussion unless he was on board.

Why do we keep hearing about "friends" and "business partners" when it was supposed to be a mini vacation for them to run an errand to get the boat.

The convo with her sis while they were on the water, when the husband went to sleep, is strange to me.

Who is this friend who told her that it's hard bc it's hard? And who is this business partner? Rhetorical because I know we can't sleuth the biz partner. But I'd love to know.

Also "it's hard bc it's hard" is something I'd say to my young nieces and nephews when I want them to stop asking questions.

Yeah, was thinking i would definitely only tie one end to the capsized boat and just hold onto the other end with free hand. It would not be a good idea to tie the raft end.

But I would surely want to stay with the capsized boat to give myself a chance of being seen from above. A small raft may not be spotted.

I think he was pretty lucky he was still close to the boat . If he was like a mile away or more then they may not have found him.

An input here from somebody who does boating in the gulf, and doing a :moo:

The very LAST thing you want to do is to be anywhere near a boat that is capsized when there are waves 2-3 feet in the water tethered, even with a hand hold to release.

The waves will almost certainly throw you into the boat at some point.

And imagine waves going back and forth pulling and pushing and pulling and pushing would rip your hand off if you tried to hold it.

:moo:

Everything he did was actually close to textbook imho.

And didn't I have an understanding that he also had a personal Beacon?

But how did the "friend" tell her how to work the phone if by this time she is in the middle of the Florida Straits and LB is downstairs sleeping?

Yea, he made sure he was equipped. Instead of equipping Isabella with the personal beacon or the EPIRB before heading to bed. If she had either one on her or in her vest, she could be here today.

Are they still searching for Isabella? Tia

An input here from somebody who does boating in the gulf, and doing a :moo:

The very LAST thing you want to do is to be anywhere near a boat that is capsized when there are waves 2-3 feet in the water tethered, even with a hand hold to release.

The waves will almost certainly throw you into the boat at some point.

And imagine waves going back and forth pulling and pushing and pulling and pushing would rip your hand off if you tried to hold it.

:moo:

No sarcasm, please don't take this wrong - is it textbook to let an inexperienced person navigate in the middle of the night when you could instead sleep on land and leave in the morning? Just trying to understand why they left in the evening and then he had her keep watch in the pitch black and the middle of the sea.

JMO
Good point about not retrieving the boat.

But his reaction and responses so soon after he gets back is very bothersome. This response below makes no sense.
If he goes up to the top and finds her missing right after hearing a noise that they hit something then there is zero excuse not to stop the boat and look for her. Plus it contradicts with him saying he noticed boat was taking on water. He obviously stopped to get in a life raft at some point so why didnt he stop to look for her right after the noise that awoke him.

""Why didn't you stop the boat and drop the anchor to do something about it?" she said she asked him, according to WPTV. "And he said he needed to keep the boat on track, so his priority was to keep the boat on track. I asked him, 'Do you think she’s alive? Do you think she’s dead?' And he said 'I think she she’s asleep.' That was his answer.""

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-lost-sea-questions-husband-article-1.3212682

Boats in deep water sometime have a drift anchor which drag by a rope and slow a boat down and keeps them from drifting because of wind.
Not sure if he had a drift anchor but the least he could have done was stopped and looked for her.

It sounds like he made no attempt to stop the boat. Which is beyond bizarre.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...443/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Why would you stop the boat when she is moving with the tide? THAT makes no sense.

Yea, he made sure he was equipped. Instead of equipping Isabella with the personal beacon or the EPIRB before heading to bed. If she had either one on her or in her vest, she could be here today.

You don't stand there and hold it.

No sarcasm, please don't take this wrong - is it textbook to let an inexperienced person navigate in the middle of the night when you could instead sleep on land and leave in the morning? Just trying to understand why they left in the evening and then he had her keep watch in the pitch black and the middle of the sea.

They were going to be on the sea for a few to several days. It's a rotating schedule. She would have been on the next night anyway.

They were going to be on the sea for a few to several days. It's a rotating schedule. She would have been on the next night anyway.

She told her sister she would be in Florida the next day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member