FL FL - Jacksonville, BlkMale Pre50, Poss. Name Mike/Michael, Nickname "Pepper", Poss. Presented as Different Gender, Found in Transient Camp, Nov'23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A string bracelet usually has a meaning. It could be a connection to his partner or his religion.

A saint image? Maybe Renaissance?

I don't think it's St George and the dragon, because I can't see a horse, but something like that? Pretty sure there's a sword. Gabriel? Gabriel tends to be depicted with a sword.

I'm pretty certain it's Michael. It's not identical to the image I linked above, but a lot of the images I'm finding have an identical or almost identical pose replicated. You can even see Satan in the bracelet image, he's the tan smudge on the ground under Michael's left foot ( bottom right side of the image).

Any Catholics or art historians who want to correct me, feel free, this isn't my area.

This bracelet isn't an exact match, but a good example that such red string bracelets with Archangel Michael do exist, and seemingly are often worn for protection.

This bracelet isn't an exact match, but a good example that such red string bracelets with Archangel Michael do exist, and seemingly are often worn for protection.

Hey, great find! That is very close to Pepper Doe's bracelet.

I didn't know where to look, I thought maybe New Age shops because sometimes they've got pseudoKabbalistic things and a whole section for Angel cards and protective jewellery linked to angelic forces.

MOO

I thought the image looked like some sort of Catholic saint as well, but I couldn't narrow it down any further. I agree that Archangel Michael looks similar to the image on Pepper's bracelet.

I thought the image looked like some sort of Catholic saint as well, but I couldn't narrow it down any further. I agree that Archangel Michael looks similar to the image on Pepper's bracelet.
I got lucky, I searched for Gabriel because I thought the figure had a sword, and the image search threw up that picture of Michael I linked above that was very, very close in terms of how the figure was positioned. Closer than the Gabriels I'd found. And given the name Michael was already in the mix for this Doe, it makes sense they would have bought it or someone might have bought it for them as a gift.

MOO

Definitely Saint Michael IMO. I’ve seen it worn by many LEOs, especially Catholics.
Thank you, @MadMcGoo ! I was pretty sure I was right, but the image we were working from wasn't the greatest quality, so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would weigh in. I'm an atheist raised LDS, and LDS don't do saints (despite their name) or that kind of iconography, so my knowledge is sketchy at best.

MOO

Thank you, @MadMcGoo ! I was pretty sure I was right, but the image we were working from wasn't the greatest quality, so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would weigh in. I'm an atheist raised LDS, and LDS don't do saints (despite their name) or that kind of iconography, so my knowledge is sketchy at best.

MOO
I wish it helped with identifying them. :confused: Honestly, I see those bracelets being sold all over for $5 a piece. But, I’m sure it held some special meaning to them. Past life? Family member? Association to their birth name?

I wish it helped with identifying them. :confused: Honestly, I see those bracelets being sold all over for $5 a piece. But, I’m sure it held some special meaning to them. Past life? Family member? Association to their birth name?
You never know. The bracelet alone isn't enough for an ID, I agree. It's cheap and common. A combination of the sketch of Pepper Doe, the expanded detail about tattoos and the bracelet might be enough for a loved one to recognise them. That we've riddled out what an unidentified tattoo and a bracelet are might not make a difference. But the chance that it might makes it worth it for me.

MOO

Looking at the other bracelet, on Pepper's other wrist, and to me, that looks VERY like a Zox wristband, but they are generally marked with the word Zox, not a hang loose symbol, to my knowledge. Does anyone know of another company with a hang loose logo who makes 'art' wristbands like Zox does?

Zox wristbands are elasticated bands with limited runs of designs by featured artists. I own some, which I bought several years ago. They generally have uplifting sentiments or messages associated with them, and sometimes have something different printed inside, where it rests against the skin. Because they are limited run, it is possible to date when someone might have bought one. But if this is not Zox, it might not be able to be useful in the same way.

MOO

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of one of my Zox bands. I am a couple of inches taller and almost a hundred pounds heavier than Pepper, and additionally, I just have naturally chunky thick wrists, really solid bone there, so the medium band would have some slackness for most people, just not me. I suspect that Pepper has a more petite frame and slenderer wrists than I do, and that their wristband is probably a larger diameter than mine.

IMG_20240103_180200.jpg
IMG_20240103_180307.jpg
IMG_20240103_180233.jpg
I know my Zox band is a lot thicker than Pepper's hang loose brand one, but I think Zox did thinner ones, too, I just only bought the thicker width ones, so that's all I had on hand to photograph.

MOO

(Never fear, that isn't my bare leg they're all laid out on, btw, it's just our atrociously peach nineteen eighties leather sofa. It's ugly but comfortable.)

Last edited:
Anyone else see the tiny surfer on Pepper Doe's elastic wristband? That would fit with the hang loose branding. At first I thought it was a pattern of random swirls or even feathers, but I zoomed right in and spotted a tiny figure on a surfboard!

MOO

Looks like the thing! Again, like the St Michael, cheap, common. Nothing to suggest it's an exclusive style or short run.

POSSIBLE FIRST NAME - MIKE/MICHAEL
NICKNAME - PEPPER

Sketch
View attachment 470677
"The decedent was found by a fellow transient in camp off Hodges Blvd., Jacksonville, FL."

Sex - Male (Possibly presented as different gender)
Race - Black
Age - Pre-50
DBF - November 11, 2023
Location - Transient camp off Hodges Blvd., Jacksonville, Florida
Condition - Recognizable
All parts recovered

Height - 5' 5"(65 inches) Measured
Weight - 110 lbs Measured

Hair Color - Black
Eye Color - Unknown (Presumably Brown)

Piercing - Both ear lobes

Tattoos
- Feather and outline birds trailing away (Right Arm)
- Indistinguishable tattoo (Left Arm)

Clothing
- Green sweatshirt
- Black pants
- Black underwear
- Nylon thigh high stockings

Jewelry/Accessories
- Yellow metal chain with attached black chain
- Black beaded chain
- Two post earrings
- White metal ring
- Red string bracelet
- Hair tie
Any chance that Pepper Doe is part Asian?

Any chance that Pepper Doe is part Asian?
There's no indication of that on their NamUs, and their skin tone looks very dark, to me. Doesn't mean they aren't, but their condition was listed as recognisable, so whoever did the recon wasn't working with severely decomposed or damaged remains. They would have had a good idea what Pepper looked like in life.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back