Found Deceased FL - Jason Winoker 52, from Tampa, Springhill Suites, Tallahassee, 17 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Um. No. Schools don't "pick up the difference" and they don't have to "cough up money" to make it happen.

A very few schools (mostly Ivy League) will meet all financial need without loans, but most don't. They may give a scholarship and a grant, but it usually leaves a gap between the actual cost and the expected family contribution. Some of that gap is filled with federal loans taken out through the university, but the rest is on families to figure out how to pay.

Having just gone through this with one of my kids (who got great merit scholarships, but they weren't enough) and having followed many friends and relatives going through the same expensive process, I am curious where you are getting the idea that colleges will keep throwing money at a family until a student agrees to matriculate.
You're obviously not familiar with Bright Futures and Florida Prepaid, which has been posted about. All the money gets dumped into a financial account and the student can use it to pay for tuition, books, fees, meal plans and other things. I have a daughter at UF and other than sorority dues, I haven't been out of pocket.

You're obviously not familiar with Bright Futures and Florida Prepaid, which has been posted about. All the money gets dumped into a financial account and the student can use it to pay for tuition, books, fees, meal plans and other things. I have a daughter at UF and other than sorority dues, I haven't been out of pocket.
Wow. That sounds great for Florida residents. My kids high school guidance didn’t have anything to do with college financial planning, you were lucky to get an appointment to review college in general.

Wow. That sounds great for Florida residents. My kids high school guidance didn’t have anything to do with college financial planning, you were lucky to get an appointment to review college in general.
I was lucky cause she was top 10 in her class. Also I hired a college advisor which helped her quite a bit. School guidance was worthless.

I'm really outraged about Marriott Springhill Suites losing the password to the security cameras. His wife posted a comment about this early on, on a TV station site, and I kept hoping that MSM would report on it so that we could talk about it here. I'm glad that she has written about it on the approved official site so it can be discussed now on WS. When his wife wrote the update, she included some of her correspondence with the corporate Marriott Bonvoy. I wish I could post it here, but I don't think that is allowed. If I'm correct, we can discuss her posts because she is the administrator of the site, but we can't post her comments in full. I urge everyone to read her comments at Log into Facebook

It is just amazing what she has been through trying to get Springhill Suites and the corporate Marriott Bonvoy to get a technician to access the security system. The police asked the hotel to turn over the footage 5 weeks ago, and there is still no progress. What I would like to know is why LE isn't putting pressure on Marriott -- I don't understand why LE is leaving it up to the wife. Surely LE would have the clout to get results. I have the feeling that if they ever do get into the system they'll probably find that it didn't record.

If I was a Facebook subscriber I would post a comment urging the wife to talk to the investigative reporters at TV stations and newspapers that serve Tallahasse and try to get one of them on the case. The hotel won't want the bad publicity. I am a major customer of Marriott Bonvoy -- I spend a lot of time at Marriott Hotels -- in fact, I'm staying at a Marriott Hotel right now. I'm going to send them a message telling them how horrified and disappointed I was to hear about how this situation has been handled. If enough of their steady customers write to them, maybe it will have an effect. Maybe a combination of LE, news reporters and customers could get through to them.
This is outrageous to me too. If she can't get media involved maybe she can go to Legal Aid Society for her area. Just the act of sending a letter to the Marriott location stating the family will be filing a lawsuit may prompt them to get their act together. The family deserves a full investigation and answers. How in the world are they supposed to go on with such uncertainty. Their college girl has to be having so much trouble staying focused on school. This man had something going on and he's not likely to just show back up. He needs help to get home, however that happens.

Question: Does Florida law require the hotel to have security cameras? If not, I'm not sure how a lawyer can help.

Question: Does Florida law require the hotel to have security cameras? If not, I'm not sure how a lawyer can help.
No idea but in this situation, it is a moot point. The business has them. Customers rely on them for safety. Likely a requirement imposed by the corporation or their liability insurance company. This can be settled and avoid the possibility of a lawsuit. The owner needs to fix this and retrain his employees.

This is outrageous to me too. If she can't get media involved maybe she can go to Legal Aid Society for her area. Just the act of sending a letter to the Marriott location stating the family will be filing a lawsuit may prompt them to get their act together. The family deserves a full investigation and answers. How in the world are they supposed to go on with such uncertainty. Their college girl has to be having so much trouble staying focused on school. This man had something going on and he's not likely to just show back up. He needs help to get home, however that happens.
I agree....it's simply not acceptable to have no access to those security tapes - the press should be hounding the hotel. And thanks for getting us back on track - I thought I had been re-directed to a college financial aid website ;)

RW (wife) had an “update” at the Missing Jason page, but it’s just a kind, thoughtful post regarding the case of Gabby Petito, and how LE have located her body. She has strong empathy towards Gabby’s family (with husband Jason still missing and status unknown) and wonders if a part of them wishes they could go back to that “hopeful space of not knowing.”

Missing Jason FB page

I did not see any further advancements in Jason’s case written about there.

The hotel needs to hire a computer hacker - the kind that does good, benevolent work.

The family needs legal representation. Legal Aid, pro Bono attorney, etc.

The longer this goes on, the higher the settlement is going to be when the legal case is all said and done.

The hotel needs to hire a computer hacker - the kind that does good, benevolent work.

The family needs legal representation. Legal Aid, pro Bono attorney, etc.

The longer this goes on, the higher the settlement is going to be when the legal case is all said and done.
Why would there be a settlement? Because the hotel cannot access the security video? I guess the Winoker family could find an ambulance chaser to go after the hotel but I don't think they should be held liable for Jason running off. JMO.

Why would there be a settlement? Because the hotel cannot access the security video? I guess the Winoker family could find an ambulance chaser to go after the hotel but I don't think they should be held liable for Jason running off. JMO.
Yes they need legal assistance because the hotel's lack of urgency is impeding an LE investigation. In addition, they are causing undue stress on the family. If that particular hotel owner is advertising security or safety and included a claim of cameras to deter crime, then they've failed on their promise.

Now that they are down to one income, have 3 kids remaining at home, 1 in college, I suspect they'd qualify for Legal Aid.

Hmm…so it sounds like what set him off, in terms of agitation, was being told that he and his family could not move any of their daughter’s belongings into her dorm room early, and would have to wait until their assigned time slot the next day. So then it sounds like he became withdrawn, didn’t join in the shopping, went to bed as soon as they got back to the hotel, and when the wife and daughter returned from dinner, he kind of stormed out (trying to avoid sounding like I’m victim blaming, but…per his wife’s own account of events, and IMO, it does sound like he was in a bit of a snit for the rest of the day after being told NO by a university or dormitory administrator). Eggshells, indeed.

Wondering: If the eldest daughter and Mom went out to “visit” with daughter’s friend(s), and Dad was “sleeping” in the meantime, what were the other kiddos doing? (edited to correct my misreading of the account @slowpoke linked)

Hmm. Interesting that they have since removed all the detail we were discussing at that CUE site regarding his behavior, mood and actions leading up to his walking out of the hotel room. I wonder why. It now simply says:

“Details of Disappearance: Jason was helping his daughter move into college and went for a walk the night before the move in. When the family woke up the next morning he had not returned and has not been seen since.”
Jason H Winoker – CUE – Community United Effort

Hmm. Interesting that they have since removed all the detail we were discussing at that CUE site regarding his behavior, mood and actions leading up to his walking out of the hotel room. I wonder why. It now simply says:

“Details of Disappearance: Jason was helping his daughter move into college and went for a walk the night before the move in. When the family woke up the next morning he had not returned and has not been seen since.”
Jason H Winoker – CUE – Community United Effort
Interesting....

Maybe I'm completely off base, but what will the hotel video provide? Unless he got into a car, its going to show him leaving the property. And then he still vanishes. And the family is back to square one. OR it shows he never left, and that means he's still in the building. Which means... have they thoroughly checked the building?

Maybe I'm completely off base, but what will the hotel video provide? Unless he got into a car, its going to show him leaving the property. And then he still vanishes. And the family is back to square one. OR it shows he never left, and that means he's still in the building. Which means... have they thoroughly checked the building?

It just would provide more much-needed clues.

MOO For example: The video could show a suspicious encounter he had with someone inside the hotel—another hotel guest? An employee?—someone who hasn’t come forward but is seen on video with him. Or, as you said, parking lot video could show he got in a car with someone. It would give clues as to the car he entered, who was driving. Willingly went in? Did he appear to expect the car? License plate visible? Maybe you’re right that it will not help much at all, just that he walked out and away out of their camera’s views, but then at least it would eliminate some possibilities. JMO

Oh, gosh! I just thought to check one more time tonight at the Missing Jason FB page. RW posted am update that the hotel has now recovered the password to their security system. The police detective will be looking at the footage in the morning. Finally! Sure hope there’s something recorded that will help.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back