GUILTY FL - Jennifer Alfonso, 27, murdered in her South Miami home, 8 Aug 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to know what part of first degree the jury did not understand? I think this was a compromise verdict rather than be hung...some wanted 2nd maybe even 1 or 2 and they all caved. Frankly he did not have an outburst because 2nd is not so bad...some appeals...and he could be walking sooner than anyone wants. Don't like this outcome and I bet the family does not either...

I would like to know what part of first degree the jury did not understand? I think this was a compromise verdict rather than be hung...some wanted 2nd maybe even 1 or 2 and they all caved. Frankly he did not have an outburst because 2nd is not so bad...some appeals...and he could be walking sooner than anyone wants. Don't like this outcome and I bet the family does not either...

I don't like this outcome either. If he had time to go upstairs to get the gun he had time to walk out the front door. His life was never in danger. He wanted to kill her and decided that he would as he went upstairs to get his weapon. 1rst degree was the only logical decision here and Im very very disappointed he didn't get what he fully deserved.

I don't like this outcome either. If he had time to go upstairs to get the gun he had time to walk out the front door. His life was never in danger. He wanted to kill her and decided that he would as he went upstairs to get his weapon. 1rst degree was the only logical decision here and Im very very disappointed he didn't get what he fully deserved.

Honestly how many juries have to imagine the situation and try to evaluate the premeditation to make a decision..this jury actually had a video of the defendant to watch his movements....what do they think is going on there? Have to wonder if it is another case of jury not able to understand the instructions and differences? Derek got real lucky...he wanted a trial by judge no jury and I can guarantee you this judge would have given him first degree very quickly. You can just watch him jumping around at that table to know that he is a loose cannon..boy did Jennifer have a wrong number with him...hope for the daughter's sake her father is better.

I wouldn't go that far to say 2nd degree is "not so bad." DM is now a convicted murderer who still faces life in prison. In Florida, a conviction of 2nd degree murder with a firearm carries a mandatory minimum of 25 years. So he will be locked up for AT LEAST the next 23 years if the past two years count towards his sentence. But he still faces life, as 2nd degree murder carries a 25 to life sentence here.

On my local news just now the office of the state attorney said they consider this a victory and they will seek a life sentence. The reporter also interviewed the lead defense attorney who said they will appeal and they hope for a new trial :rolleyes:. During the 6:00 hour they're supposed to show what he said regarding DM's reaction to the verdict. They also showed the jury leaving the courthouse. They showed their faces (which I am shocked about) and most waved the media off saying "no comment." One juror, however, shook his head and said with a sigh, "Another day in paradise." No clue what to make of that but he sounded exasperated. Was he bothered the trial took so long? Did he vote for murder 1 but settled for murder 2? It was very odd.

The reporter asked Zangeneh about what DM's reaction to the verdict was. He paused, then he smiled and said, "Interesting. He had an interesting reaction." Then he chuckled and added, "Not what I would've expected. I'll leave it at that."

Ugh, I really don't like him. He and his client just need to go away!

There was also a defense attorney interviewed who is not related to this case. He said in the most basic terms, the verdict shows the jury did not believe the murder was premeditated, just that it was the act of a depraved mind.

The reporter also said DM will likely be sentenced to life, but there is obviously no way anyone can say that with any certainty. It is clear that the judge is no fan of DM, so I do hope she throws the book at him, but we shall see.

I hope the :judge: hands down a life sentence. He deserves the max IMO.

:busted:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the :judge: hands down a life sentence. He deserves the max IMO.

:busted:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't know what the appeal would be about...the defense attorneys seem to tolerate him but probably are so glad not to have to see him daily any more...as to the 2nd and jurors' comment mentioned above...clearly there was at least one that bought into some aspect of the self defense and heat of passion idea (not really mentioned but implied) and I feel many of the jurors wanted lst but settled rather than hang...maybe the best choice under the circumstances. If they all agreed on 1st they would have not needed day 2. Love the judge...no nonsense especially with an attorney like the defense had and also she had a ring side seat to see this is not someone that should be on the loose in society ever. He has had issues for a long time...his father seems an enabler and disconnected...never once any eye contact with family sitting there...they came usually all dressed up (the ladies) with lots of jewels etc. I did not see the aunt that testified there for verdict...maybe she was? She did not seem to believe any of the defense and was more comfortable with the prosecution. I think the judge will do the right thing here...I believe she knows 1st degree would have been a better choice but still has power to get him off the street for life. In reading a few things about him and watching him he will kill again.

Lawyers Seek New Trial in 'Facebook Killer' Case

Lawyers for the man convicted of killing his wife and posting a photo of the bloody corpse on Facebook are asking for a new trial.

Derek Medina's defense attorneys submitted three motions Monday night in his case, including one for disqualification of the judge for prejudice.

His attorneys are expected to go before a judge Friday on the motions.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Lawyers-Seek-New-Trial-in-Facebook-Killer-Case-361055311.html

I haven't seen anything on local media since this article, but according to the dockets for his case on https://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/mobile/CaseSearch.aspx :

12/7: motion for disqualification of judge for prejudice
12/7: motion for new trial
12/10: order denying disqualification
12/17: motion for disqualification of judge (second)
12/18: order denying second motion for disqualification
12/18: sentencing set for 2/5/16 at 10:00

Sword and Scale has this story as a two part podcast. First part was posted last night.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305
BREAKING: Life in prison for Derek Medina, S. Miami man who killed wife, posted photo of her body on Facebook

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 43m43 minutes ago Sentencing for Facebook killer Derek Medina will start any minute. Packed courtroom.

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 39m39 minutes ago
Medina in the box now. His hair is completely shorn. Wearing the red jump suit reserved for high-profile inmates.

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 35m35 minutes ago
Derek Medina faces a min mandatory of 25 years on the second-degree murder with a firearm charge. My bet is that the judge gives him life

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 34m34 minutes ago
Sorry, its Jennifer's uncle, Jesus Alfonso, who up now readidng a statement

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 33m33 minutes ago
Uncle: "We will never be able to tel her I love you. Def had no compassion when he decided to murder Jennifer."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 31m31 minutes ago
Another uncle: "What kind of person leaves a loved one dying on the floor and stops to take a picture? Derek Medina is that person."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 30m30 minutes ago
Uncle: #DerekMedina "took a human’s life and posted it for the world to see."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 29m29 minutes ago
#DerekMedina hasn't looked at the family once. He is looking toward the wall opposite the podum.

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 25m25 minutes ago
Jennifer's father calls Medina's killing of his daughter a "barbaric act."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 25m25 minutes ago
Jen's dad on his grandaughter:" To lose her mother at 10 years old …. That is truly a tragedy that no child should ever have to endure."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 24m24 minutes ago
Jen's dad calls Derek Medina's contention she was violent a "fantasy." Behind me, Derek's dad muttered "sure buddy ... son of a *****."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 21m21 minutes ago Jennifer's mom to Judge Colodny: "Every day I suffer. I miss my daughter. I wish she was back with me."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 20m20 minutes ago
Medina speaking now

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 19m19 minutes ago
#DerekMedina issues brief, scattered speech about corrupt government and Barack Obama. "I will be suing this world .. God knows the truth"

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 18m18 minutes ago
Seemed like #DerekMedina was imploring @BarackObama to "focus on corruption." "Basically, I didn't get a fair trial," Medina said

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 18m18 minutes ago
Prosecutor Scott Dunn tells judge: "Jennfier died in a terrifying hail of bullets. Eight shots. Point-blank range."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 16m16 minutes ago
Prosecutor on #DerekMedina posting a photo of Jennifer Alfonso's body on Facebook: "He had to make a spectacle of Jennifer’s body."

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 16m16 minutes ago
Derek Medina v. The World is going to be a hell of a trial

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 13m13 minutes ago
Judge Colodny imposing sentence now.

David Ovalle ‏@DavidOvalle305 12m12 minutes ago
BREAKING: Life in prison for Derek Medina, S. Miami man who killed wife, posted photo of her body on Facebook

Thanks for posting the re-play jacct (and all the tweets!). I couldn't get it to work for some reason, but found another on youtube.

Cathy ‏@courtchatter
Watch #DerekMedina: "I will be suing this world" [video=youtube;rHHZRO2ZOC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHZRO2ZOC4[/video] …

From May 2017

Medina is sentenced to life in prison. He is appealing his conviction.

"There was a substantial amount of evidence that we weren't able to introduce," said Saam Zangeneh. "We had photographs in her phone with regards to satanic rituals. There's a lot of things that we had that we wanted to introduce but the court limited our ability to educate the jury with regards to that."

"I think Derek wanted to show the world what he had done, to finally get that attention that he had been craving for years," said David Ovalle.

Barring any success with his appeal, Derek Medina must serve a minimum of 25 years before he is eligible for parole.
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2017/05...s-photo-to-facebook-so-the-family-would-know/

Can you please report this account? Someone is using Derek Medina’s photos with his deceased wife in the photos. It is a fake account and is disgusting. I have already reported to Facebook and they state it does not violate their rules although it does. If disgusts me that someone will impersonate a murderer with the victims photos as well.

https://www.facebook.com/100008058665480

An appeals court has upheld the murder conviction and life sentence of a Florida man who shot his wife and posted a photo of her corpse on Facebook.

The 3rd District Court of Appeal in Miami on Wednesday rejected Derek Medina’s claims that he should have been permitted to put on evidence that he was a battered spouse and that his wife had been aggressive due to taking “bath salts” pills.

Sentence upheld for South Florida man who put killing on Facebook

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmasReal~
Back