GUILTY FL - Jennifer Fulford, 56, Winter Park, 27 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Florida Capital Sentencing Juries… | Death Penalty Information Center
Posted on Jul 12, 2019
In the span of two weeks, juries in four unrelated cases in which Florida prosecutors had sought the death penalty have instead returned life sentences. The cases—which were considered probable death verdicts if judges were permitted to impose sentence—illustrate the impact of the changes in Florida law in 2016 and 2017 banning judicial death sentences based on non-unanimous jury recommendations for death. Between June 27, 2019 and July 11, 2019, jurors in the cases of Jose Martinez, Karari Ritchie, Christopher Vasata, and Scott Nelson did not unanimously agree on a recommended sentence. As a result, all four cases ended in life sentences.
[...]
And on July 11, Scott Nelson—who told the jury he was “a homicidal maniac” who wanted to be sentenced to death—received a life sentence after an Orange County jury did not reach a unanimous verdict. Defense lawyers presented mitigating evidence of the chronic trauma he experienced in an abusive childhood and the severe cognitive deficits its produced, the extreme conditions to which he was subjected during 25 years in federal prison, and his resulting mental illness. One juror was removed from the jury after some other jurors reported he had said he had seen no evidence in the case justifying a death sentence. Three jurors later reported that a single remaining juror had voted for life.

hmmm.... Don't know if I like that new law in Florida. One jury can change the whole thing. I believe if they are not unanimous, the Judge should decide.

Anyway - Jennifer got a bit of justice.
Rest In Peace.jpg

hmmm.... Don't know if I like that new law in Florida. One jury can change the whole thing. I believe if they are not unanimous, the Judge should decide.

Anyway - Jennifer got a bit of justice.
View attachment 193252
With a death sentence, the appeal game goes on for decades and provides lots of attention to the killer. The law changes magnify this dilemma.
An example is this FL case:

GUILTY - FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Here is some background on the law changes as it relates to the case of FL v Smith:
State to seek death penalty in re-sentencing for man who kidnapped, raped 11-year-old Carlie Brucia of Sarasota

May 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM EDT - Updated May 21 at 10:49 PM
SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - The State of Florida plans to pursue the death penalty against the man convicted of abducting, raping and killing an 11-year-old Sarasota girl.

Joseph Smith was convicted of the February 2004 murder of Carlie Brucia.

But now, more than a decade later, it’s possible Smith will be moved off of death row. Smith has appealed his sentence, arguing it’s no longer valid.

In 2016, the United States Supreme Court stuck down Florida’s death penalty sentencing requirements as unconstitutional. State lawmakers passed a new law requiring 10 out of 12 jurors to vote in favor of death. Florida’s Supreme Court struck down that law as unconstitutional. Lawmakers drafted a new sentencing law requiring a unanimous jury vote to put someone to death. In March 2018, Governor Rick Scott signed it into law. Now, hundreds of death row inmates can appeal their sentences, including Smith.

Adam Tebrugge, Smith’s defense attorney from the 2004 case, said, "It appears almost certain that Joseph Smith’s death sentence will be reversed and his case will go back to Sarasota County for a new re-sentencing trial.”

That re-sentencing trial is moving forward . . . [...]

Yes, I included this link in my post above.
I always remember Carlie when I think of a 'death penalty' case.

Oops!
67x70px-LL-af76833f_14th_girl-smiley-duh-gigi.gif

I see it now! LOL!

I remember Carlie's case.... so sad! :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members