FL - Jennifer Kesse, 24, Orlando, 24 Jan 2006 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been said that she was known to keep shoes she was wearing to work in a briefcase (along with other items) and that she didn't necessarily carry this briefcase in from her car each evening. I'm assuming there's some validity to this information, I didn't see anyone indicate otherwise.

I could see that. At the same time, I would think she would wear those pumps home Monday from work and back into her condo. Regardless, point is it could either way, and doesn't discount any theory.

If Jen wore the same shoes Monday she intended to wear Tuesday and if she were in the habit of leaving her shoes and briefcase in her care overnight, this does open the possibility of a PM abduction.

Her bed appeared "slept in" (not just laid upon). It is pretty hard to stage a bed to appear slept in but she could have gone to bed and then woken up and was lured out. There were two outfits laid out on the side of the bed she did not sleep on. They could certainly have been put there that evening.

The dampness in the shower stall sure suggests a morning shower but it is the sort of evidence you can never be sure about. I really doubt the perp went back to apartment to clean up. If it was very humid, does anyone have any objective evidence of how long it would take to dry?

Something I can't find and it I believe it is unknown is what items of clothing are missing? (I.e. What was she wearing when she vanished)
Her mother didn't know. Women co-workers might have been able to figure it out if anyone bothered to try. There were two outfits on her bed plus the one she wore Monday. All would go with those shoes. How many "goes with brown" outfits did she own?

If she was really in bed when someone called her or knocked on her door, there would have to be a very "tight" relationship for her to be willing to get up and leave the condo. Either some sort of "romantic partner" or a work emergency are the two that come to mind.

I am beginning to adjust my opinion of a PM abduction from " extremely unlikely" to just "unlikely"

I don't put any weight into the shower and towel. Outside weather and humidity is moot in a controlled environment such as a condo with Central air. Water in a shower dries slower when the fan is off, and when the shower is plastic, not poris stone..Additionally the towel was placed on the dryer, not hung. A laid out towel dries significantly slower than a hung towel as moisture gets trapped.

If a pm abduction occurred, it would have to be someone stopping by, or she left on her own as there were no phone calls after 10.

I recall the case, but never followed it here. TY for the podcast info. Very informative. I plan on reading as much as I can. Taking notes etc...

So there were no security cameras in the parking lot of JK's condo ? I am thinking that she may have been grabbed right by her car, that was why J. and her abductor left in her car. It was the quickest, most convenient way to take her, as she was walking to her car to go to work that morning. jmo

There weren't any cameras on site at the Mosaic at the time of the abduction and security was lax during the day (not sure what the situation was at night) because there was construction work going on, and laborers were coming in and out all day.

It's very possible, maybe even probable that JK was abducted in her car, but the car didn't go very far, according to police reports, based on the amount of gas used (they know she filled up on Monday, the day before the abduction); so if her car was the means of transporting her, whoever used the car to do this, didn't drive very far from the site of the abduction, that Tuesday morning (or the night before, depending on which theory you are going with).

So, why suddenly, at noon on that Tuesday, at just around the time that people are being alerted at Mosaic that Jennifer never got to work and is missing, is Jennifer's car suddenly moved to HOTG (Hudson On The Green)?

It could be a coincidence that the car is moved at that time, but it seems odd given that we know the car never made it far from Jennifer's home ( or even if her car was, in fact, moved prior to being transported to HOTG). All we are told is that Mosaic management does not see her car when they make a welfare check close to noon.

The other seemingly significant factor around Jennifer's car, as it was found, is that the vehicle showed no obvious signs of a struggle inside it--no blood, etc, and left in the back seat was a DVD player, that if my memory serves was almost center in that seat. So, if Jennifer's car was used to abduct Jennifer, say at gun point, the car as it was found looks as if only one person was involved at that point.

By the time Jennifer's car is moved, regardless of how and when she was abducted, she has to have been hidden at this time--somewhere. If the abductor/s traveled farther with her, then they must have changed vehicles (or her car was never used, only moved); If her car was used in the abduction then it's pretty certain Jennifer wasn't far from the Mosaic at the time the car is moved.

So why was the car moved at noon? Why not sooner? Why not farther away?

If the car wasn't used in the abduction, but was only moved, why was it moved? Why move the car at all if it wasn't used to abduct Jennifer?

Either way, the time that Jennifer's car is moved and the time at which the car is moved, seem odd.

It almost seems as if the abductor/s was alerted that relatives were making inquiries into Jennifer's whereabouts. That they were either still at the Mosaic, or close enough, that they were afraid of having the car found near them.

If that makes any sense.

There weren't any cameras on site at the Mosaic at the time of the abduction and security was lax during the day (not sure what the situation was at night) because there was construction work going on, and laborers were coming in and out all day.

It's very possible, maybe even probable that JK was abducted in her car, but the car didn't go very far, according to police reports, based on the amount of gas used (they know she filled up on Monday, the day before the abduction); so if her car was the means of transporting her, whoever used the car to do this, didn't drive very far from the site of the abduction, that Tuesday morning (or the night before, depending on which theory you are going with).

So, why suddenly, at noon on that Tuesday, at just around the time that people are being alerted at Mosaic that Jennifer never got to work and is missing, is Jennifer's car suddenly moved to HOTG (Hudson On The Green)?

It could be a coincidence that the car is moved at that time, but it seems odd given that we know the car never made it far from Jennifer's home ( or even if her car was, in fact, moved prior to being transported to HOTG). All we are told is that Mosaic management does not see her car when they make a welfare check close to noon.

The other seemingly significant factor around Jennifer's car, as it was found, is that the vehicle showed no obvious signs of a struggle inside it--no blood, etc, and left in the back seat was a DVD player, that if my memory serves was almost center in that seat. So, if Jennifer's car was used to abduct Jennifer, say at gun point, the car as it was found looks as if only one person was involved at that point.

By the time Jennifer's car is moved, regardless of how and when she was abducted, she has to have been hidden at this time--somewhere. If the abductor/s traveled farther with her, then they must have changed vehicles (or her car was never used, only moved); If her car was used in the abduction then it's pretty certain Jennifer wasn't far from the Mosaic at the time the car is moved.

So why was the car moved at noon? Why not sooner? Why not farther away?

If the car wasn't used in the abduction, but was only moved, why was it moved? Why move the car at all if it wasn't used to abduct Jennifer?

Either way, the time that Jennifer's car is moved and the time at which the car is moved, seem odd.

It almost seems as if the abductor/s was alerted that relatives were making inquiries into Jennifer's whereabouts. That they were either still at the Mosaic, or close enough, that they were afraid of having the car found near them.

If that makes any sense.

JK was abducted from the parking lot of her condo. jmo I was just reading the very early reports. LE scent dogs got a hit at the heavily wooded area behind the condo complex. Nothing found there. Her abductor had her for about 4 hours, from around 8 am to 12 noon. He ditched her car at the HOTG condos probably because that condo had a rep for shade, such as drug sales etc. He likely thought it would cloud LE's thinking, to make them believe she went to HOTG to score some drugs...jmo He then went back to the Mosaic condos, where his car was likely parked. He probably did work there, maybe even did work in JK's condo. He may have been living in one of the vacant units there. Left town soon after. jmo, and just speculation...

JK was abducted from the parking lot of her condo. jmo I was just reading the very early reports. LE scent dogs got a hit at the heavily wooded area behind the condo complex. Nothing found there. Her abductor had her for about 4 hours, from around 8 am to 12 noon. He ditched her car at the HOTG condos probably because that condo had a rep for shade, such as drug sales etc. He likely thought it would cloud LE's thinking, to make them believe she went to HOTG to score some drugs...jmo He then went back to the Mosaic condos, where his car was likely parked. He probably did work there, maybe even did work in JK's condo. He may have been living in one of the vacant units there. Left town soon after. jmo, and just speculation...

That all sounds very plausible. But where did he have her for those 4 hours? And why move the car at noon? Why not move it sooner or move it later?

If he has a unit at the Mosaic, he wouldn't have needed the car to abduct her-in theory. If he did use her car to abduct her, then the car could have been spotted near his unit--a big giveaway....

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems possible that Jennifer's car was not used in the abduction and wasn't moved from it's parking spot until after her family starts calling management at the Mosaic.

to me the poi looks like your average "rebel" or cholo gang member from the mid 90s to early 2000's as far as style goes, even the way it looks like he is walking. I don't know much about the styles in Florida, but this style was popular with rebels and also gang culture. Guessing he is my age now, and in that picture 24 or 25, that or what has been said, worked in construction and was wearing throw-away clothing.

see this search

https://www.google.com/search?q=cho...BigB&biw=1024&bih=555#tbm=isch&q=cholo+khakis

I know that the clothing colours are possibly incorrect but the top right picture in that link is very close ?

Mark.

I believe you are 100% correct. I will add that he dropped the car off at HOTG because it was near to where he wanted to go and as you mentioned the bad reputation it has.

That all sounds very plausible. But where did he have her for those 4 hours? And why move the car at noon? Why not move it sooner or move it later?

If he has a unit at the Mosaic, he wouldn't have needed the car to abduct her-in theory. If he did use her car to abduct her, then the car could have been spotted near his unit--a big giveaway....

I guess what I'm getting at is that it seems possible that Jennifer's car was not used in the abduction and wasn't moved from it's parking spot until after her family starts calling management at the Mosaic.

BBM MOO...I believe this crime was planned in advance. The abductor or abductors had a predetermined location where he/they took her and did whatever was done to her. As far as the four hours are concerned, I think she was driven to the location and whatever happened to her was done there. After that, she was taken to wherever she was disposed of and the car was driven back to where it was recovered. As far as the noon time is concerned, he/they probably knew she wouldn't have been reported missing by then. So, the police would not have been looking for her or her car at that time. He/they probably figured the police would have been notified sometime during the day or evening and would would have looking for the vehicle. By getting rid of it sooner as opposed to later, the avoided the risk of getting caught with the car. Again MOO

BBM MOO...I believe this crime was planned in advance. The abductor or abductors had a predetermined location where he/they took her and did whatever was done to her. As far as the four hours are concerned, I think she was driven to the location and whatever happened to her was done there. After that, she was taken to wherever she was disposed of and the car was driven back to where it was recovered. As far as the noon time is concerned, he/they probably knew she wouldn't have been reported missing by then. So, the police would not have been looking for her or her car at that time. He/they probably figured the police would have been notified sometime during the day or evening and would would have looking for the vehicle. By getting rid of it sooner as opposed to later, the avoided the risk of getting caught with the car. Again MOO

I agree and what you share does resonate.

I just learned about this case yesterday and was truly shocked that the person who drove Jennifer's car to the parking lot was caught on camera but was never identified. It is maddening that we see a potential killer to just stroll by... without being able to hold them accountable. It is so maddening and frustrating to have such a powerful lead with zero outcomes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Sounds about right. But wherever Jennifer was taken, if it was in her car, they didn't go far (according to the gas usage of her vehicle). So are you thinking that the abductors go to the Mosaic on foot? Abduct Jennifer the morning of the 24th (even though she hadn't been home since the 19th) Then drive Jennifer's car to a nearby location. Then dump Jennifer's car at HOTG, and then use another vehicle to transport her body---somewhere...

Jennifer's car showed no indications of having been used to transport a dead girl. She had to have been gotten rid of at some point, and it doesn't appear to have been by way of her car.

This case feels a little like a rubics cube---colors line up on one side, but then there are the colors you still have to line up on the other, and to do so you have to shift your thinking around a little.

I could see that. At the same time, I would think she would wear those pumps home Monday from work and back into her condo. Regardless, point is it could either way, and doesn't discount any theory.

I don't put any weight into the shower and towel. Outside weather and humidity is moot in a controlled environment such as a condo with Central air. Water in a shower dries slower when the fan is off, and when the shower is plastic, not poris stone..Additionally the towel was placed on the dryer, not hung. A laid out towel dries significantly slower than a hung towel as moisture gets trapped.

If a pm abduction occurred, it would have to be someone stopping by, or she left on her own as there were no phone calls after 10.

Just a clarification. From what I've read in posts concerning the shoes and briefcase, the point was that she changed her shoes to something comfortable for driving, so she wouldn't have worn the new shoes back into her condo Monday after work in that what is expected to be usual scenario. Probably a if I wear these shoes tomorrow I don't need to bring them in type thing.

Not a given that this was the scenario, but the way her shoes would have been brought in is in the briefcase because she definitely would have changed out of them to drive home as was custom per the posts on this IIRC.

Some good info and thoughts on the dampness aspect.

Jennifer's apartment showed no signs of a struggle (and I trust her parent's take on this-they knew her habits); Jennifer's car (other than it being moved) showed no signs of a struggle or of being used to transport an injured or dead person. There was no blood, no scent of decomposition in that vehicle. There was also a large DVD player left in the back seat. And the car hadn't been driven far the day of the 24th.

So if the victim's apartment appears untouched, and her vehicle appears the same---are either of the two actually part of the crime itself?

Or is Jennifer's car moved for another reason?

I guess I'm not quite sure how you abduct a person and leave no trace unless everyone is looking in the wrong places.

Here's a possible hiccup to the "planned-abduction" theory. Jennifer wasn't at her home from Thursday, the 19th until evening of Monday the 23rd.

So if this was planned, unless the abductor lived at the Mosaic, how would they know Jennifer had returned? Her car would have been absent from it's space until the evening of Monday the 23rd. Unless you saw her car in that space, saw lights in her window that night, how would the abductor know she'd be home to abduct the next morning?

Jennifer's apartment showed no signs of a struggle (and I trust her parent's take on this-they knew her habits); Jennifer's car (other than it being moved) showed no signs of a struggle or of being used to transport an injured or dead person. There was no blood, no scent of decomposition in that vehicle. There was also a large DVD player left in the back seat. And the car hadn't been driven far the day of the 24th.

So if the victim's apartment appears untouched, and her vehicle appears the same---are either of the two actually part of the crime itself?

I guess I'm not quite sure how you abduct a person and leave no trace unless everyone is looking in the wrong places.

And that is part of what makes this so puzzling when compared to other similar crimes. Jodi Huisentruit was abducted at her car in her apartment complex parking lot early in the morning. BUT there were items she was carrying or wearing near her car and one or two residents heard a scream. There is nothing near where Jennifer's car is parked and as sparsely occupied her condo complex was you would think at least one person would hear a scream - if there was one. Tara Grinstead's house did show some subtle signs of a struggle, but Jennifer's condo has nothing.

I believe her car was used but she was transported alive to some nearby undeveloped property and whatever happened to her happened outside the car. Hence no forensic evidence in the car. I'm of the opinion that crime scene and the disposal of her body are one and the same. That is, the crime scene is on or just off a dirt road and she is buried a short walking distance away.

Assuming a morning abduction, of course. Which, while I'm leaning toward that now, I am not 100% convinced.

I think the car was only used to abduct her initially, and transport her to the POI's chosen place. After that JK was never in that vehicle again. He did a thorough job of wiping it clean. That morning J was likely distracted, going back to work after vacation, had a meeting that morning... Also, one way her abductor could have known she was home that morning is if he was living in one of the vacant units in the complex. I heard JK 's mother say that the unit opposite to JK's was vacant, and left unlocked.

In the first thread here a poster mentioned that JK's parents said that she had become irritated at the slow pace of the work in her condo. She was not happy about taking time off work to be at the condo when work was being done. Completely understandable. jmo wonder if the workmen in her condo were aware of her frustration ? jmo

Here's a possible hiccup to the "planned-abduction" theory. Jennifer wasn't at her home from Thursday, the 19th until evening of Monday the 23rd.

So if this was planned, unless the abductor lived at the Mosaic, how would they know Jennifer had returned? Her car would have been absent from it's space until the evening of Monday the 23rd. Unless you saw her car in that space, saw lights in her window that night, how would the abductor know she'd be home to abduct the next morning?

I've noted this before. Either this was a crime of opportunity - one where the POI knew WHAT and HOW they were going to do it, just not WHO. OR this was someone who knew enough about Jennifer to know she would be back on Monday or Tuesday. BUT Jennifer did not drive to her condo on Sunday PM, but stayed with her BF Rob and drove straight to work Monday AM. I imagine the circle of those who knew when Jennifer would be gone was small. And, if the overnight stay with the BF was planned by her from the start then those that knew that bit of trivia is smaller still. Of course, the abductor could have driven past her condo both Sunday and Monday evenings looking for her car.

And that is part of what makes this so puzzling when compared to other similar crimes. Jodi Huisentruit was abducted at her car in her apartment complex parking lot early in the morning. BUT there were items she was carrying or wearing near her car and one or two residents heard a scream. There is nothing near where Jennifer's car is parked and as sparsely occupied her condo complex was you would think at least one person would hear a scream - if there was one. Tara Grinstead's house did show some subtle signs of a struggle, but Jennifer's condo has nothing.

I believe her car was used but she was transported alive to some nearby undeveloped property and whatever happened to her happened outside the car. Hence no forensic evidence in the car. I'm of the opinion that crime scene and the disposal of her body are one and the same. That is, the crime scene is on or just off a dirt road and she is buried a short walking distance away.

Assuming a morning abduction, of course. Which, while I'm leaning toward that now, I am not 100% convinced.

Was there undeveloped property nearby?

Jen's car is obviously very important to her disappearance but how it fits in is still very much a part of the mystery.

It is not that rare for someone to be abducted in their own vehicle. The abductor generally establishes control with a weapon and has the victim drive. The victim has the option of getting into an accident, attracting attention of a patrolman or just fleeing the car. An older, more savvy victim would be more likely to do this. Why didn't Jennifer (if that is what happened)? An abductee might be expected to take the abductor where he told her if she was satisfied that he would not hurt her if she obeyed. The abductor would probably try to reassure her of that but I would think, for that ploy to work, he would have to either very persuasive or Jen knew him.

The victim could be disabled and or restrained. You wouldn't expect that to occur at a public space where other people might see or hear it. It seems there were not many people around there at 7:30 but a woman's screams can travel quite a distance and there were other workmen around at that time. Whatever happened, whenever it happened, it seems to have been done quickly and quietly.

Two men could have done it. This is less common for a sex related crime and extremely unusual for a personal "relationship" crime but it can't be ruled out. The fact that the DVD was still seat belted in argues against it but doesn't exclude it.

There is the chance that the perpetrator's own car was used and Jen's was moved as some sort of staging but this seems extremely unlikely. There would be some tactical advantage to moving her car. It would be consistent with voluntary absence as opposed to Jen being missing from her apartment with her car still in its assigned space but, if the risk and effort to move the car was taken, it would have been done early, when there was less chance of being seen and no one was aware Jen was missing. One does not have to be a criminal genius to know that you do not want to be anywhere near the crime scene once people might be aware of the crime and paying attention to details. The perpetrator did not go back and move the car around noon.

Most likely, the perpetrator had Jen's car, that was used in her abduction, and as one detail of the process, he had to return to the Mosaic (to fetch his own car perhaps). He left it at HOTG because he didn't want to be seen with it anywhere near the crime scene and perhaps because he saw the advantage of delaying the finding of the car, but the primary reason for his actions was that he need transportation back to Mosaic.

One thing I have considered is that Jen's car was really unsuitable for transporting a dead body; particularly the size of Jennifer. I am not sure she would even fit in the trunk and a body in the back seat with the DVD box would be visible to people in other vehicles, particularly during periods of heavy urban traffic in daylight. In addition, dead bodies usually will discharge some body fluids. There were no indications of this in the car. Assuming she was murdered, she was either taken directly (while still alive) to where her body was disposed or she was later moved in a different vehicle. This would be different from the more typical sexual predator abduction where the victim is abducted from a place of opportunity, transported to a place the predator feels comfortable to do whatever he intends to do, then to the the dump site that serves his purpose.

There is the chance that Jen left in her car not under duress and she met her abductor after she had left the Mosaic (and was either abducted directly or consensually joined with the person who abducted her. For this scenario to work, we would have to explain why this abductor would need to return to the Mosaic at all

I only know what I've seen by looking on Google Maps and putting it on 'satellite view'. There are small sections within 3-4 miles such as going to S. John Young Pkwy and turning north. I haven't searched beyond that point. Some of the searches for Jennifer went to some spots like these early on.

Jen's car is obviously very important to her disappearance but how it fits in is still very much a part of the mystery.

It is not that rare for someone to be abducted in their own vehicle. The abductor generally establishes control with a weapon and has the victim drive. The victim has the option of getting into an accident, attracting attention of a patrolman or just fleeing the car. An older, more savvy victim would be more likely to do this. Why didn't Jennifer (if that is what happened)? An abductee might be expected to take the abductor where he told her if she was satisfied that he would not hurt her if she obeyed. The abductor would probably try to reassure her of that but I would think, for that ploy to work, he would have to either very persuasive or Jen knew him.

The victim could be disabled and or restrained. You wouldn't expect that to occur at a public space where other people might see or hear it. It seems there were not many people around there at 7:30 but a woman's screams can travel quite a distance and there were other workmen around at that time. Whatever happened, whenever it happened, it seems to have been done quickly and quietly.

Two men could have done it. This is less common for a sex related crime and extremely unusual for a personal "relationship" crime but it can't be ruled out. The fact that the DVD was still seat belted in argues against it but doesn't exclude it.

There is the chance that the perpetrator's own car was used and Jen's was moved as some sort of staging but this seems extremely unlikely. There would be some tactical advantage to moving her car. It would be consistent with voluntary absence as opposed to Jen being missing from her apartment with her car still in its assigned space but, if the risk and effort to move the car was taken, it would have been done early, when there was less chance of being seen and no one was aware Jen was missing. One does not have to be a criminal genius to know that you do not want to be anywhere near the crime scene once people might be aware of the crime and paying attention to details. The perpetrator did not go back and move the car around noon.

Most likely, the perpetrator had Jen's car, that was used in her abduction, and as one detail of the process, he had to return to the Mosaic (to fetch his own car perhaps). He left it at HOTG because he didn't want to be seen with it anywhere near the crime scene and perhaps because he saw the advantage of delaying the finding of the car, but the primary reason for his actions was that he need transportation back to Mosaic.

One thing I have considered is that Jen's car was really unsuitable for transporting a dead body; particularly the size of Jennifer. I am not sure she would even fit in the trunk and a body in the back seat with the DVD box would be visible to people in other vehicles, particularly during periods of heavy urban traffic in daylight. In addition, dead bodies usually will discharge some body fluids. There were no indications of this in the car. Assuming she was murdered, she was either taken directly (while still alive) to where her body was disposed or she was later moved in a different vehicle. This would be different from the more typical sexual predator abduction where the victim is abducted from a place of opportunity, transported to a place the predator feels comfortable to do whatever he intends to do, then to the the dump site that serves his purpose.

There is the chance that Jen left in her car not under duress and she met her abductor after she had left the Mosaic (and was either abducted directly or consensually joined with the person who abducted her. For this scenario to work, we would have to explain why this abductor would need to return to the Mosaic at all

The car is not driven far, so if Jennifer is abducted in the car, where was she taken?

Playing out that possibility, this would mean that at some time between 7 to 8 am Jennifer leaves her apartment (forgets her mace inside), goes to her car and is either forced inside in some way, or subdued at gunpoint. Then forced to drive somewhere, but not very far...

Then four to five hours later her car is moved, from somewhere nearby, to a location, also nearby.

Scent dogs track driver back to Mosaic...

I'm not sure why this makes more sense than if Jennifer is abducted and taken to some unit on site at the Mosaic.

If Jennifer's car doesn't travel far, either she was forced to drive some place very, very close, or she never left that complex. I'm not sure how else you can explain the short distance the car went.

Very early on LE took scent hounds into a " heavily wooded area", a "densely wooded area" described as being located to the rear of the condo complex. The dogs did hit on JK's scent, but I never found anything beyond that report. I did note that the condo complex was only gated in the front...the part that faced the road. At the back of the condo it was all open. So, based on the dogs hitting there, I would believe that JK was taken into those woods. I do not know if cadaver dogs were taken to that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OKseeker