FL - Jennifer Kesse, 24, Orlando, 24 Jan 2006 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was clarified by her family that the clothes weren't neatly laid out like she was planning specific outfits but rather strewn across her bed. IMO that points to both abduction possibilities - night before (if she decided to go out last minute and was rushing to find something to wear) or morning of (rushing to pick out something for work because she was running late).
Correct, all that could point to her going out at night too. Towels can stay wet for a long time. It depends on how wet it was initially. For all we know Jennifer could have gotten water all over her bathroom floor from the shower and used the towel to wipe that up. Sometimes I accidentally flood the bathroom when I use a standard shower like she had with just a curtain. Also Rob stated she picked out her work clothes the night before. This makes sense to me because I like to know what I am wearing and have it pressed and ready to put on. If you take his comment regarding her picking out clothing the night before into consideration, the scene could actually prove she didn’t sleep in her bed. I wouldn’t want to sleep in a bed with clothing piled on it! We will never know what Jennifer did alone in her condo when she got home from work so it’s all whataboutisms, but there is nothing that definitely proves morning or night either way.

Sorry I'm confused. Logan is her brother, do you mean the cell phone of Logan's friend who had left his phone at her condo before? I'm still not sure what the significance is of both these phones powering down at the same time unless you mean she took the friend's phone out with her too? I've not heard about the ping showing by the coworkers apartment, I think I need to listen to the Unconcluded podcast to get more info, thanks guys :)
My bad, yes! Logan's friend's phone lol. And I don't necessarily think she would've taken both phones out with her if she went out at night, but perhaps someone powered both down after entering her apartment. Both would've had to be within access to Jennifer and/or an abductor to be powered down at the same time and IMO, because a crime has already occurred. The whole thing is so confusing!

It was clarified by her family that the clothes weren't neatly laid out like she was planning specific outfits but rather strewn across her bed. IMO that points to both abduction possibilities - night before (if she decided to go out last minute and was rushing to find something to wear) or morning of (rushing to pick out something for work because she was running late).
You're right, they both could be possibilities. When I am picking between outfits, I hardly ever hang them back up before I leave, I usually do that after I get back home along with my other daily laundry tasks. I know that might make me sound like a slob, but you're right, she could've been in a hurry, or settled into bed the night before and changed her mind?

Often, young women are told to avoid sticking to a rigid schedule because it may be advantageous to stalkers or the like. Maybe she stuck to a rigid schedule? Though, it could be like many, a crime of pure opportunity and little planning.

My bad, yes! Logan's friend's phone lol. And I don't necessarily think she would've taken both phones out with her if she went out at night, but perhaps someone powered both down after entering her apartment. Both would've had to be within access to Jennifer and/or an abductor to be powered down at the same time and IMO, because a crime has already occurred. The whole thing is so confusing!
I think it’s possible that she put Travis’s phone in her purse when she found it. That’s the simple answer. Whether or not there is a missing purse is debatable though. If there is one they don’t have a description. The Jk website is wrong.
If she wasn’t carrying a purse, I think it’s possible she took it to her car Monday night when she was going out. I sometimes will go ahead and do things like that when I’m thinking about it so I won’t forget. It could be something as simple as that. We just don’t know. I could see myself finding the phone, and then going ahead and taking it to my car when I went just to be on the safe side. Mornings can be rushed, and I’d be concerned I’d forget it. Why not just carry the phone to the car when its fresh on your mind?

Point of information, She was on the phone to her boyfriend until about 10 pm Monday night. No red flags. Went to sleep then got up in the morning to go to work. Imo

Point of information, She was on the phone to her boyfriend until about 10 pm Monday night. No red flags. Went to sleep then got up in the morning to go to work. Imo
She was on the phone with her boyfriend around 10 pm and they argued, then both her phone and Travis's phone stopped being picked up by local towers - so they were shut off, around 10:40 pm. That is a big red flag to presume a notoriously safety-conscious young woman would shut off two main points of contact before going to sleep. Even if she and Rob fought and she shut off her phone out of anger, why shut off the other phone too?

There are two that I can think of. She was on her cell phone and told Rob she was lying in bed. Her parents said she had to go outside on the balcony to talk on her cell phone because it didn’t work well in her condo. The other is they got into a fight and she was upset. Sometimes people do out of character things when they’re upset. I would think it would be hard to sleep after a fight with the boyfriend.

I just hope some new information comes forward. It has been way too long for her family!

Reactions: IDK
I just hope some new information comes forward. It has been way too long for her family!
If I were them I’d release more info from the files they received. It could trigger some memories and maybe someone would come forward. Det Ring said the Kesse’s didn’t get the info that they needed to protect the integrity of the investigation on HOBD so they wouldn’t have to worry about that.

That’s the thing, though: Jennifer was “notoriously safety-conscious”, yet lived in what I would call a pretty dangerous situation. Even discounting the facts about the building/area that we know of, she, herself, said that she was scared (can’t remember the exact verbiage, but you get the picture.)

These threads go way back and so necessarily have covered and recovered lots of the same ground, but here is a refresher: The condo complex she was living in was one of the first buildings in the “buildup” of that area. Mosaic was being developed in an area well known for transients, and I’m not talking right now about the itinerant workers used for the complex that pose their own problems in terms of this case. (In fact, IMO, that part of Florida was rife with “transients” at that time. It’s one of the reasons so many, many, housing communities around the Orlando area are gated and have been for years. I lived there, and was simply gobsmacked at how many odd characters were wandering around at all hours of the day and night.)

On top of that, add the half-finished buildings, empty units, and lack of security during construction. Add onto that the whole “itinerant” worker issue, which is not racist to discuss. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, but the fact that many of these workers were simply “day-type” workers, who weren’t legal, meaning they not only couldn’t have background checks done before hiring, they couldn’t be easily tracked thereafter. It was a recipe for disaster, and I’m surprised that there aren’t more missing young women from Mosaic.

The fact that Jennifer stayed there in the face of all of those factors, tells me that she wasn’t as safety conscious as is sometimes portrayed. FYI, a realtor at the time, who had lived in the area all her life, said she’d never in a million years let her daughter live there. That area was incredibly seedy. Indeed, that’s exactly how I’d describe it. Very seedy. It gave me the creeps, big time.

There are two that I can think of. She was on her cell phone and told Rob she was lying in bed. Her parents said she had to go outside on the balcony to talk on her cell phone because it didn’t work well in her condo. The other is they got into a fight and she was upset. Sometimes people do out of character things when they’re upset. I would think it would be hard to sleep after a fight with the boyfriend.
And it wasn’t just any fight. The topic was the status of their relationship.

That’s the thing, though: Jennifer was “notoriously safety-conscious”, yet lived in what I would call a pretty dangerous situation. Even discounting the facts about the building/area that we know of, she, herself, said that she was scared (can’t remember the exact verbiage, but you get the picture.)

These threads go way back and so necessarily have covered and recovered lots of the same ground, but here is a refresher: The condo complex she was living in was one of the first buildings in the “buildup” of that area. Mosaic was being developed in an area well known for transients, and I’m not talking right now about the itinerant workers used for the complex that pose their own problems in terms of this case. (In fact, IMO, that part of Florida was rife with “transients” at that time. It’s one of the reasons so many, many, housing communities around the Orlando area are gated and have been for years. I lived there, and was simply gobsmacked at how many odd characters were wandering around at all hours of the day and night.)

On top of that, add the half-finished buildings, empty units, and lack of security during construction. Add onto that the whole “itinerant” worker issue, which is not racist to discuss. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, but the fact that many of these workers were simply “day-type” workers, who weren’t legal, meaning they not only couldn’t have background checks done before hiring, they couldn’t be easily tracked thereafter. It was a recipe for disaster, and I’m surprised that there aren’t more missing young women from Mosaic.

The fact that Jennifer stayed there in the face of all of those factors, tells me that she wasn’t as safety conscious as is sometimes portrayed. FYI, a realtor at the time, who had lived in the area all her life, said she’d never in a million years let her daughter live there. That area was incredibly seedy. Indeed, that’s exactly how I’d describe it. Very seedy. It gave me the creeps, big time.
It is a crazy area for sure. You have the nice area by I4 and then by the time you get to HOG it’s sketchy. There is a Louis Vuitton and Chanel in the Mall of Millenia now. Not sure if they were there in 2006 but that should tell people how nice the area is right by I4.

As far as her being safety conscious, I agree that’s debatable too. She would have seen the living situation at the complex when she was touring places before purchasing. It’s not like it was an unknown before she bought. She had lived in Orlando for several years. She knew this area and how it went from 0 to sketchy in less than a mile. She also wouldn’t let Drew change the locks. He bought a new lock for the door but she didn’t want him to change it until the punch list was done. That tells me she wasn’t that scared at her condo. Also the safe calls are debatable. If you’re on the phone it takes away your awareness of your surrounding. She also didn’t put the pepper spray back on her key chain. She also left Rob’s that Monday morning when it was dark outside and drove across the state of Florida. That tells me she wasn’t afraid to be out and about when the sun wasn’t out.

I‘m not victim blaming but I do think it’s important to point these things out.

The place where her car was left was walking distance from her condo and a rough area.

There was a false sense of security since it was a "new" gated development but since it was still in construction there was little safety as there was open access 24/7 due to construction.

It is a crazy area for sure. You have the nice area by I4 and then by the time you get to HOG it’s sketchy. There is a Louis Vuitton and Chanel in the Mall of Millenia now. Not sure if they were there in 2006 but that should tell people how nice the area is right by I4.

As far as her being safety conscious, I agree that’s debatable too. She would have seen the living situation at the complex when she was touring places before purchasing. It’s not like it was an unknown before she bought. She had lived in Orlando for several years. She knew this area and how it went from 0 to sketchy in less than a mile. She also wouldn’t let Drew change the locks. He bought a new lock for the door but she didn’t want him to change it until the punch list was done. That tells me she wasn’t that scared at her condo. Also the safe calls are debatable. If you’re on the phone it takes away your awareness of your surrounding. She also didn’t put the pepper spray back on her key chain. She also left Rob’s that Monday morning when it was dark outside and drove across the state of Florida. That tells me she wasn’t afraid to be out and about when the sun wasn’t out.

I‘m not victim blaming but I do think it’s important to point these things out.

It's hard to say without more information.

A relative of mine managed rental units in a very unsafe American city (think gunshots every night and metal bars on the windows) and he never had a problem. Once someone finds their footing even a "craphole" place is less frightening.

I would like to mention money laundering is common in some businesses and Kesse might have seen something she was not supposed to see, or got confrontational over something that wasn't worth the hassle.

I've chatted about this case with casual acquaintances and most were un-nerved that a clean-cut, nice-looking person like Jennifer Kesse could just vanish. Florida is a certain kind of place. I don't want to say anything too awful.

In my mind, a sizeable reward will still be helpful.

It's hard to say without more information.

A relative of mine managed rental units in a very unsafe American city (think gunshots every night and metal bars on the windows) and he never had a problem. Once someone finds their footing even a "craphole" place is less frightening.

I would like to mention money laundering is common in some businesses and Kesse might have seen something she was not supposed to see, or got confrontational over something that wasn't worth the hassle.

I've chatted about this case with casual acquaintances and most were un-nerved that a clean-cut, nice-looking person like Jennifer Kesse could just vanish. Florida is a certain kind of place. I don't want to say anything too awful.

In my mind, a sizeable reward will still be helpful.
I’ve wondered myself if she found out too much. A few angles I’ve considered are:
-the field trip the JC and AF took that Tuesday to the Lake Ellenor office was to meet Louis Hernandez‘s wife. He’s partners with Pete Benevides.
-Lou Pearlman’s connection to Mosaic. It’s very interesting that he owned a unit by the hole in the fence.
-system upgrade Jennifer was doing at work. She was doing one department at a time.

This case is too clean to be random imo. That’s why I think someone put a hit on her.

So in a few pages users have brought out compelling theories for
* evening abduction
* morning abduction
* creepy stalkery dudes
* relationship trouble
* work-releated hit
* pizza men
* builders
* random sketchy people
* odd pings possibly near a coworkers home
* 2 phones possibly being turned off together
* lack of cell service inside her condo