FL FL - Key Largo, Card Sound Road, WhtMale, 30-40, 4”11-5’3”, UP6222, Found in wooden coffin wrapped in blankets and plastic, 5 Oct 1984

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PatLaurel

Former Member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

0 Missing Person Exclusions

3800UMFL

Date of Discovery: October 5, 1984
Location of Discovery: Key Largo, Monroe County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 1 Month prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 30-40 years old
Race: White
Height: 4'11", Estimated
Weight: 125 lbs, Estimated
Hair Color: Black, straight with a few gray strands
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Blue T-shirt and dark colored shorts
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery​

The decedent was found in a pine box wrapped in blankets.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: District 16 - Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Tiffany Fridley, Medicolegal Death Investigator
Agency Phone Number: 305-743-9011
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 84-0120

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 6222

Information Source(s)​

NamUs

So where did one buy a wood coffin in Monroe County in 1984??? Perhaps someone made it themselves? Seems like a lot of work for someone to do after they’ve committed murder.

@PayrollNerd, could you please pinpoint on Google Maps the location where the coffin was found? I'm terrible with distances.. Two miles north of the intersection puts the coffin somewhere in a very populated area in Homestead, according to my (often wrong) calculations.
TIA

I've circled in red the intersection of Card Sound Rd (also called SR905) & US1 or Rt 1, which can also be called Dixie Hwy. (Florida likes to have multiple names for one street.)

In 1984, U-Totem was the precursor to 7-11 convenience stores. If the coffin was located 2 miles north of this intersection, my best guess is the most northern store is probably the one that existed back then. 7-11 stores are added as the area grows so it is not unusual to see them in close proximity of one another.

1688338637047.png

1688339044839.png

I've circled in red the intersection of Card Sound Rd (also called SR905) & US1 or Rt 1, which can also be called Dixie Hwy. (Florida likes to have multiple names for one street.)

In 1984, U-Totem was the precursor to 7-11 convenience stores. If the coffin was located 2 miles north of this intersection, my best guess is the most northern store is probably the one that existed back then. 7-11 stores are added as the area grows so it is not unusual to see them in close proximity of one another.

View attachment 432482

View attachment 432483
Thanks, @PayrollNerd. I forgot to update here after my question.
I found the approximate location, and there's a Circle-K store (former U-Totem) close to the intersection. This location makes more sense than Florida City or Homestead.

Circle K · 106501 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 00.29.05.png

The wooden coffin really makes you wonder. What murderer has a wooden coffin? Or makes them? It's too bad there's not a photo of it. It's also too bad that there's no identifiers available for this John Doe.

The wooden coffin really makes you wonder. What murderer has a wooden coffin? Or makes them? It's too bad there's not a photo of it. It's also too bad that there's no identifiers available for this John Doe.
Really bizarre to build a coffin and then put it and the body along a highway. If you're going to expend the effort to make a coffin, why not bury the body?

MOO, my first thought was maybe it was a self-inflicted wound? Just with the way it is described, him being in a homemade(?) Coffin and swathed in blankets, it sounds like someone cared. I wonder if he/his family might have been undocumented, and didn't know what to do.

He sounds possibly Hispanic ( maybe not completely?), to me, based on his description, but he is described as white.

Really bizarre to build a coffin and then put it and the body along a highway. If you're going to expend the effort to make a coffin, why not bury the body?
There is of course a big ocean nearby, making one wonder why they didn’t just dispose of the body there. it sounds very hastily done, yet they had a coffin. This is a head scratcher.

Last edited:
Tropical Storm Isabel (see page 7) was blowing thru right before this coffin was found.

I’m wondering if perhaps there was a pseudo burial at sea and the storm brought the coffin to shore. Another possibility could be the storm delayed a burial at sea but as evacuations began, the coffin was abandoned.

I realize the victim died from a bullet and there is a crime that occurred. But what if he had been released for burial, or even cremation, albeit unembalmed, but for some reason it was interrupted.

Probably a stretch but the coffin is such a mystery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelicamcolon
Back