GUILTY FL - Lisa Story, 32, & Robin Cornell, 11, slain, Cape Coral, 10 May 1990 *Arrest in 2016*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Adam Wright ‏@AdamWINKNews 13m13 minutes ago
Robin Cornell's mother Jan at news conference.

CtdAugBXYAEf8K6.jpg

https://twitter.com/AdamWINKNews?lang=en

Was thinking about this case the other day...woke up to this great news..wonder what the connection was (if any).

The Florida Department of LawEnforcement notifie d Cape Coral police when Zieler's DNA received a hit on CODIS, Newlan said. Further DNA from Zieler was obtained and tested by the FDLE. The results came back positive with evidence collected in the apartment at Courtyards of Cape Coral Condominiums.

"We got him," Newlan said. “This brings closure to the family. Twenty-six years is a long time.”

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2016/09/28/cape-coral-police-make-arrest-cold-case/91212964/

Necrophilia seems to be fairly common in these sorts of cases but it is not discussed openly because it is so disturbing. Ted Bundy was a necrophiliac but you don't often hear about that part of his crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother is an FDLE detective, maybe I can get him to post on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.news-press.com/story/new...of-cape-coral-homicide-victim-awake/95177700/

It took Cape Coral police 26 years to arrest Joseph Zieler... He was charged on Sept. 28 about a month after he was booked into the Lee County Jail, accused of shooting and injuring his son with a pellet gun. It was during that investigation that the crime lab linked his DNA to the Cape Coral slayings. Prosecutors indicted him on first-degree murder charges and he now faces the death penalty.

Details of the Cape Coral Police Department’s investigation into what was the city’s oldest unsolved homicide were released last week by the State Attorney’s Office.

The 558-page document shows how Cape Coral police cast a wide net – investigating all those close to Cornell and 32-year-old Story while also focusing on the community.

Joseph Zieler, a suspect in the 1990 murders of 11-year-old Robin Cornell and Lisa Story in Cape Coral, has filed a dozen formal motions in his case since September.

Lee County Court Judge Robert J. Branningdenied them all. Zieler's case is currently before Branning and scheduled for a motions hearing March 7 and a trial call on March 10.

Zieler's latest filings are petitions for a writ of habeas corpus and a writ of prohibition, filed Feb. 11 and 18 with the Florida Supreme Court.
Cape Coral: Accused murder suspect files 12 motions to halt court case

Although Zieler has an attorney, the majority of his motions have been filed Pro se.

Joseph Zieler, a suspect in the 1990 murders of 11-year-old Robin Cornell and Lisa Story in Cape Coral, has filed a dozen formal motions in his case since September.

Lee County Court Judge Robert J. Branningdenied them all. Zieler's case is currently before Branning and scheduled for a motions hearing March 7 and a trial call on March 10.

Zieler's latest filings are petitions for a writ of habeas corpus and a writ of prohibition, filed Feb. 11 and 18 with the Florida Supreme Court.
Cape Coral: Accused murder suspect files 12 motions to halt court case

Although Zieler has an attorney, the majority of his motions have been filed Pro se.
I'm shocked this case hasn't been tried yet. Zieler was charged September 28, 2016. What's the hold up here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAA
Back