Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate writing this… especially knowing we all grieve differently.
Watching the interviews, I never got a sense of the mother who cared on a deeper level. As if there was that special connection component missing.
She at times came off as annoyed at Maddie.

I’m cognizant that mother/daughter relationships can be complicated, complex and, at times, even competitive.

I don’t know if there was some disassociation present, or she’s the type of parent that isn’t “warm and fuzzy”, but regardless of what ot was, my heart and soul hurt for Maddie.
If anyone deserved to be held in a safe embrace, it was that child.

I agree with you so much! I hate thinking these things... Maddie should have been number one in that household. Maddie should have been the priority, not SS. If JS truly didn't know about the crimes that her BF was committing in her household, well she knows now, and I hope she's helping LE in every way possible.

Gaslighting is real and can have the victim doubting her own mind and vision. It's a severe manipulation. Of course none of us know if JS was gaslit. As far as " kinks" , I think that's very different than child sexual assault. Most tend to think these predators are easy to spot, if they were they'd be less around.

His friends knew he was into much younger women. They knew weird things about him, which we learned in those calls, so I would expect a consenting, adult sexual partner to know other things, such as the type of P__n he was interested in, that sort of thing. Perhaps not the most extreme, but I'm not sure how else to put this other than I think he likely would have been broaching things with JS, at least things that would be likely to make another parent in general pretty uncomfortable having him in their house. I know there can be a fine line there, but just saying...

Also, JS seems to have a lot of family right there, and it seems extended family even lived with SS and JS for awhile.This is also complicating this scenario for me. She's not depending on SS financially. She's not socially isolated, from what we can see. It's just not lining up for me personally how she is the victim here. I do understand how things can happen to anyone, I just have A LOT of questions, and I am personally very suspicious of her.

Watching the interviews, I never got a sense of the mother who cared on a deeper level. As if there was that special connection component missing.

I’m cognizant that mother/daughter relationships can be complicated, complex and, at times, even competitive.

I don’t know if there was some disassociation present, or she’s the type of parent that isn’t “warm and fuzzy”, but regardless of what ot was, my heart and soul hurt for Maddie.
I think it's hard to prove what she knew...

Last edited:
Of course, and I said as much. Nerves, anything is possible here. Sorry for edits, screwy WiFi here. it was an observation only on my part, made minutes after the presser.

I noticed she seemed emotional, and I did not notice this in earlier times when I have seen her speak.

I am not judging Chief Holland in any way for having human emotions. That would be wrong and ridiculous! Hopefully this is now very clear if it was not previously.
I interpreted your post the way you meant it - I too thought she seemed emotional. Of course it’s an emotional case, and no one was speculating anything judgmental against the Chief, it just was curious since it’s not like it’s “fresh,” in that they just found her. My curiosity was simply what made her emotional at this juncture, if it was indeed emotions and not just nerves.

Right after re-watching JS interviews, I caught one with the family of the missing college student who was with his frat brothers in Nashville. HUGE difference. She's crying, says her son is her best friend...it;s heart breaking to watch. :(

As you said, everyone is different...but are they REALLY that different, because that is emotionally more what I would expect, especially with a younger missing...a little girl...

no doubt there is alot that LE is not revealing. as noted, the complex where JS and MS lived had alot of CCTV. we do not know:

JS's movements the day of Madeline's party and the evening rolling into the morning (if she worked that day/evening, was anything captured on CCTV with her leaving and returning in her vehicle?) or: was she home 'working' on sunday? where was she all day when Madeline was supposedly dropped off at school...did she ever leave the home before leaving for the school?

SS's movements: what were his movements after the party and into the nite rolling into the morning. revealed are bits and pieces of that morning and early afternoon. but nothing as to where he was when JS left for the 'supposed' school pickup.

JS's phone and computers: I would think LE did a deep dive into her computer and of course went through her phone and maybe still sifting through records because the abuse was going on for years...piecing together dates, times perhaps.

we are all wondering how she died. I seem to recall, there was discussion her autopsy report will not be made public due to the Bill enacted concerning public records concerning minors/autopsies....but of course, during a trial that information will come out. ahead of that, will LE advise the public, at minimum, her cause of death?
We know from the presser on March 1 that he was in the general area of the body dump site between 1-2:30pm on Feb 26. We know its about a 40 minute drive back to the house from the place where the body was dumped. It is about a 45 minute drive from the body location to the home per google maps (see image below). If he was in the area where the body was found at 2:30pm still then went home (assuming he went straight home?)... he wouldn't have gotten there before about 3:15pm ish (give or take / not knowing what traffic was like / what speed he may have driven / if he stopped or went elsewhere).

So what time did mom usually leave the house to collect Madeline from school? Surely she spoke with SS before she left, or texted him if it was an ordinary day in her mind, and nothing was wrong. What did they talk about? What was his overall demeanor? If she didn't suspect a thing until she realized her daughter never showed up for school - what was she like in that moment finding out? Who did she talk with next? Her own mother? Her sister? SS? And where was SS when she contacted police exactly? Wouldn't you just love to know what police thought of her as a first impression? And exactly what she said to them?

1711129558552.png

Right after re-watching JS interviews, I caught one with the family of the missing college student who was with his frat brothers in Nashville. HUGE difference. She's crying, says her son is her best friend...it;s heart breaking to watch. :(

As you said, everyone is different...but are they REALLY that different, because that is emotionally more what I would expect, especially with a younger missing...a little girl...
Agreed - at best, JS was medicated. She was very clinical and detached in her interviews. I, too, noticed the stark contrast between Riley’s mother and JS. Yes everyone reacts differently, but it’s difficult not to wonder about the complete lack of emotion regarding Maddie.

I interpreted your post the way you meant it - I too thought she seemed emotional. Of course it’s an emotional case, and no one was speculating anything judgmental against the Chief, it just was curious since it’s not like it’s “fresh,” in that they just found her. My curiosity was simply what made her emotional at this juncture, if it was indeed emotions and not just nerves.
Yes!

When I was thinking about it a bit later, I did wonder if maybe she had just learned new information? It could be completely unrelated, maybe something personal, maybe she just has a cold and we're off base entirely? It was simply something I noticed, and I noticed it right away, before we were processing the "what the heck was this no new information" business?

Still wondering if there will be any more arrests.
This murder didn't happen in a vacuum, as in I'm thinking there were red flags ?
School teacher, friends, doctors, Madeleine's dad's side of the family, etc.
I hate to think they knew something might be wrong but were ignored or intimidated by SS ?
Imo.

Yes !
The college student's families' grief was palpable.
Omo.

She didn't even get the birthday correct and she was reading from a prepared statement!
It was offensive that she made that mistake in getting Madeline's birth day wrong.
I do realize Holland was appointed last year after serving as Deputy Director and prior as Training Coordinator for Polk County, 30 yrs*. MOO, she should be equipped with skills to address the public and answer expected questions .

Moo
I agree. With her long and varied experience, she should be equipped with more than enough communication skills to address the public sufficiently, particularly since she is leading this police department. It came across as very sloppy work for a planned media event and therefore looks bad on the entire department. I'm sure the detectives are doing everything they can to solve these crimes against Madeline, yet her providing incorrect information (birthday) and her seemingly ill preparation at simply reading from a script left a poor impression overall. Hopefully she puts more effort into the next update. 5P's. Proper preparation prevents poor performance. MOO.

Agreed - at best, JS was medicated. She was very clinical and detached in her interviews. I, too, noticed the stark contrast between Riley’s mother and JS. Yes everyone reacts differently, but it’s difficult not to wonder about the complete lack of emotion regarding Maddie.

It also did not match what SS said...which was basically that he and JS lost it when it was night. Which is more in line with what I would expect. With a barely 13 year-old girl, I would be completely beside myself with fear if she did not come home at night. The missing young adult? Yes, horrible but I would think maybe you could at least tell yourself "OK, they could be hurt or someone might have them, but maybe they are sleeping off the party somewhere, or they have a problem we don't know about and they went somewhere for a few days, etc"

But not a little girl and one with no history of running away or other issues. Not coming home that first night is really bad news.

I think most of us would be a complete emotional pleading sobbing mess, so again, yes, it's very strange....and difficult to understand, since she seems to also be able to answer questions well enough.

I wonder if it was disassociation or play-acting. What seemed to be off is the way she was caressing her guy in the one interview. It was ridiculous to watch actually. Especially in this day and age, with stories galore of abuse against children. Wouldn't your first thought go to blaming him, if not for a crime, but for dropping her off early and not directly at the school? You know your child is missing, you know your "partner boyfriend step-father" was the last to be alone with Madeline, no tears, no emotion, and yet here you are comforting him in front of the cameras. It made zero sense and is such a huge red flag. MOO.

Last edited:
At around 1:00 min mark when he walks in.
“what did you do with her? Tell us something “. I didn’t get a feeling he shook his head no in response to tell us something.
But rather, the sequence of questions…
I am most likely wrong, but that moment made me question if he was actually the one that killed her.
Almost like -in his sick mind- he’s saying back that he loved her so much he’d never hurt her.
I don't think he killed her *intentionally*. Why would he when she was such an (and I hate to say this but) easy access victim for him? He had no reason to that we know of. I could believe that he and or mom (and or someone else) could have drugged her and it ended in an accidental death by overdose or adverse reaction but I'm not sure that I could see him killing her out of rage intentionally. It makes no sense. He had easy easy access to her whenever he felt like it and mom was never going to turn him in. He was making his photos and videos and possibly selling those for profit. There'd be no sense in ending that cashline and killing her on purpose. It would place him at risk of discovery for SA, and end his access, and in the event he wasn't caught, he'd have to find a new cashline / victim.

We heard horrible things from his friends about CSAM interests, drugs, that he missed Madeline etc. We didn't hear anything to suggest that he was into hurting animals or that he fantasized ab out killing people (or if we did, I missed that).

I don't know enough about mum's history to say if I think she may have just lost her mind and killed the girl somehow. I don't know if they scuffled and Maddie lost or what may have even prompted that if that is what happened. But I just don't think that's it.

I firmly believe someone drugged this kid and that ended badly. Very badly. And it left SS and mom in a frantic state trying to hide the facts and get rid of evidence.

MOOOOOO

Definitely was strange, unemotional, detached interview. I don't understand it.I know we can react differently but as a mother it's hard to comprehend. I lose my breath at the thought of my child going missing.

I think most of us would be a complete emotional pleading sobbing mess, so again, yes, it's very strange....and difficult to understand, since she seems to also be able to answer questions well enough.
Absolutely, terrified wondering where my child is and what could be happening to them. Pleading for help. Begging for the person that took her not to harm her and let her go. Since JS calmly stated she thought her daughter was taken

All of the above statements are red flags, in my opinion. IF, KPD doesn't have the answers to the above questions, at this stage, I'm concerned. The COP appeared to be justifying the lack of information or an update. She didn't even get the birthday correct and she was reading from a prepared statement! Why was no investigators or the DA present to support her and the Dept?

I do realize Holland was appointed last year after serving as Deputy Director and prior as Training Coordinator for Polk County, 30 yrs*. MOO, she should be equipped with skills to address the public and answer expected questions .

I did notice .....**"Today, there are 152 sworn Police Officers and 88 civilian staff members of the Kissimmee Police Department."

The number of civilian staff seems extremely high in moo, vs the number of sworn officers. (My county has 206 s/officers and 24 civilian staff, 30k > residents and cover 320 square miles and a low crime rate)

I became concerned, early on, when the call was placed to 911 and it was 3 hours before LE showed up on a missing child report. Moo, I'm not sure the agency has the availability of staff to quickly and fully investigate MS case.
All my opinion and no disrespect for LE, just very concerned the investigation is not further along.

Moo

* https://www.linkedin.com/in/betty-holland-57ab1a79
Captain

Polk County Sheriff's Office

Oct 1987 - Mar 2018 30 years 6 months
Director at Kenneth C. Thompson Institute of Public Safety, Polk State College
**https://www.kissimmee.gov/departments/police-department/our-history#:~:text=Today, there are 152 sworn,of the Kissimmee Police Department.
I am confident LE has most, if not all of the answers, just holding back until the case is ready for charges.

as far as the 911 call, it wasnt released. we dont know what, if any, sense of urgency there was when she called. was it simply 'my daughter isnt here'? did she advise she didnt go into school to check at pickup? what were SS and JS doing from the moment after she made that call? did she email the school while on site via her phone when she returned from riding around or go back home and do that?

did investigators show up after 3 hours because JS never reconnected with them until a later time because she was busy doing her own riding around making calls and emailing?

all in hindsight, but if she had chosen to enter the school to check if Madeline was hung up with something, and found not to be in school that day, that would have changed the entire landscape of the 'missing' event. for me, there was no sense of urgency, almost as if she didnt want to make that call to LE while inside the school with someone else present. IMO of course.

started with her saying to LE I "Observed " her getting dressed
then the " we " statement why did she say that?
then said " we " again in another interview but also stated " My partner" drove her to school. Now making that difference known?
Then the consoling of the BF ( hugging) what was that?
It was like she was going back and forth.
G-ma (Jenn's mom) sounded like she didnt think SS lived with jenn and said " he came in for..."I dont know why??" not that he came in for Madis birthday.
Yet sounds like they did live together according to The court tv clip with Shannon Butler why is G ma not clear on that?

Last edited:
I don't think he killed her *intentionally*. Why would he when she was such an (and I hate to say this but) easy access victim for him? He had no reason to that we know of. I could believe that he and or mom (and or someone else) could have drugged her and it ended in an accidental death by overdose or adverse reaction but I'm not sure that I could see him killing her out of rage intentionally. It makes no sense. He had easy easy access to her whenever he felt like it and mom was never going to turn him in. He was making his photos and videos and possibly selling those for profit. There'd be no sense in ending that cashline and killing her on purpose. It would place him at risk of discovery for SA, and end his access, and in the event he wasn't caught, he'd have to find a new cashline / victim.

We heard horrible things from his friends about CSAM interests, drugs, that he missed Madeline etc. We didn't hear anything to suggest that he was into hurting animals or that he fantasized ab out killing people (or if we did, I missed that).

I don't know enough about mum's history to say if I think she may have just lost her mind and killed the girl somehow. I don't know if they scuffled and Maddie lost or what may have even prompted that if that is what happened. But I just don't think that's it.

I firmly believe someone drugged this kid and that ended badly. Very badly. And it left SS and mom in a frantic state trying to hide the facts and get rid of evidence.

MOOOOOO
I snicker every time I see SS turn away from the camera during his perp walk.

Q: if Madeline did have breakfast, would that still be evident to the medical examiner considering the time between when she was thought to be dead in the car (8:19am Feb 26) and when she was found (late afternoon March 1)?

If the last thing she ate was at the party, is it possible that would still show up in her autopsy? I suppose again it would depend on time between last meal and when she died. Right?
They were able to discover what 5000 a year-old frozen mummy had eaten, so I think they could with MS.
Ötzi the Iceman - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member