Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
190 deputy's down! They seem to have a multitude of specialty programs. I do believe these programs have some value, however, the primary function of LE is to protect the community
Moo

Lacking boots on the ground should not be an excuse for lack of emergency services. Common sense says....shift staff from "programs" to actual law enforcement and services. When it takes 3 plus hours and multiple phone calls for a missing 13 year old, it would seem "somebody" should respond.

I did try to look up the call log for the 2/26, unsuccessfully.

As, I posted much earlier in the thread, I'd be demanding a supervisor, calling my Board of Supervisor Representative and the media. There is No excuse exceptable, period !!!

All my opinion
IA…where are all our tax dollars going?? If budget is a problem, well then reallocate some money, move it around…idk. Incentivize people to sign up for the police academy. In DC, cops make 80k to start and get a bonus too…although I doubt FL would be willing to pay as much.

Is it too much to ask to have a small task force dedicated to missing persons so that these cases can be designated appropriately according to urgency?

We all know by now a faster response wouldn’t have changed the outcome but perhaps zeroing in on SS sooner could have led to the discovery of her body much faster.

We all know by now a faster response wouldn’t have changed the outcome but perhaps zeroing in on SS sooner could have led to the discovery of her body much faster.

Snipped for focus.

Agreed - regardless of the fact it wouldn’t have changed the outcome, it still highlights a problem and would change the outcome in other cases where time was of the essence. To state the obvious - the response time could be the difference between life and death for a child.

OCSO is currently down 190 deputies. Not a problem unique to this dept.
About the bashing of Orange County Sheriff's Dept deputies out on patrol not working fast enough to complete their calls to get to JS's condo sooner. Call receivers and dispatchers do not reroute deputies from in progress calls to take a report of a teenager who didn't go to school and can't be found that afternoon/evening. That is what the event is until more information is received.

You and I only now know it wasn't a teenager that cut school, and the family knew that it wasn't likely, but the fact is that almost always, teens that miss school or can't be found by parents, are not the victims of foul play. Bringing up examples of teens being victims of foul play does not change this fact. You have to include the thousands that cut school every day and eventually return home. The missing report wouldn't have been seen by the right unit until the next day, after which a public bulletin was posted.
Orange County is very transparent, you can go to their website and actually see the current calls for service.
MOO

America is in the midst of a police officer shortage that many in law enforcement blame on the twofold morale hit of 2020 — the coronavirus pandemic and criticism of police that boiled over with the murder of George Floyd by a police officer.

I had some concerns also b/c the calls kept getting progressively more panicky and the 911 operator could have been less apathetic, that's what bugged me most.
I understand 190 down due to all the reasons you stated, (very valid)
I can add to that: People are getting crazier, LE has to respond/ keep composure under very trying circumstances. b/c they will be held accountable. Just buried one in a New York shot/ traffic stop is it worth it? to risk your life? I think the numbers reflect that.
some people say lack of numbers isn't an excuse, I don't see it as an excuse I see it as reality. It can't lay all on the police.
people overuse them, unnecessary calls, ( i.e an ex walked away with her cat)
I don't know what can be done but maybe creating more awareness about the reality of things?
So safety and security are not being compromised because of( as stated above) how do you manage that? It can't all be the fault of law enforcement ( except for George Floyd,) that is inexcusable. and hugely impacted the entire world, literally wiping out respect for authority.
Ps when I was a social worker, the crisis unit would take about 20 calls a day about kids being AWOL. 99% just didn't think they needed to answer to anyone. I'm not minimizing the importance of these calls, just saying, it's a pattern. there had to be some criteria in place ( age appropriate)

-

Last edited:
Isn’t this type of thing when they send out an “Amber Alert” and everyone’s cell phones honk? That’s what happens in my state.
I can only speak for FL, and the answer is no, someone 13 that wasn't at school at pickup time isn't enough to warrant an Amber alert in FL. Only the 1st and 4th criteria were met (bolded. Underlined clearly not met) when the 911 calls were made, and ALL need to be met. I'm going to guess other states have the same sort of rules, but could vary some. IOW, I'd be surprised if just a child under 18 missing for several hours is enough to warrant an alert. They don't want to over-alert people's phones. They'd never stop 'honking' as you say (I've never heard one so not sure if all Ambers' honk, or exactly what they do). All MOO

Florida AMBER Alert​

To activate an AMBER alert the following five (5) criteria must be met:
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • Law enforcement has a well-founded belief, based on an active investigation, that a kidnapping has occurred
  • Law enforcement has a well-founded belief, based on an active investigation, that the child is in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury
  • There is a detailed description of the child and or the abductor/vehicle to broadcast the public
  • The law enforcement agency of jurisdiction recommends activation

I would imagine she would currently be entitled to the report as she has not been charged with any crime leading to the death of MS.
But is she still under investigation? We don't know this at this time. We have been told everyone close to her is being investigated. No one has been cleared.
I don't think they would release it to the mother yet if she is still under investigation.
IMO

One thing I have considered: JS has known mental health issues. IF she was "away" getting help, would LE be there interviewing her? That if if she was in crisis or a danger to herself? Or would they wait until she was more stable and then interview her again?

Just something I have wondered. Clearly we have no idea where JS is since there has been no statement from JS, or as far as I am aware, from her family.

Has she always been cooperative? or did something change when she got a lawyer and now is cooperative again? I don't want to assume that all of a sudden she is cooperating when she always was.
All we know is that she met with LE when MS first went missing. Other than that?? Do we know if she was present when SS was arrested or actually where he was arrested? I'm sure it has been discussed but I can't recall at the moment.
I'll go check the media thread.

Reading the 911 transcript that says MS took ADHD medication, and knowing that SS's friends said he was addicted to Adderall, makes me curious if he was taking MS's meds. Or was she forced to complain of ADHD symptoms in order to get access to the prescription meds for SS?

Reading the 911 transcript that says MS took ADHD medication, and knowing that SS's friends said he was addicted to Adderall, makes me curious if he was taking MS's meds. Or was she forced to complain of ADHD symptoms in order to get access to the prescription meds for SS?
good point, if he was dosing off of her Rx, then she wasn't taking them regularly either In Canada those Rx's are controlled, she'd run out before a refill was available ) Not taking those meds consistently could cause an emotional crash. I've seen both adults and kids rage and/or be highly emotional/ unable to self-regulate when coming off most of those methamphetamine-type meds makes sense to me, he liked to be up at night too.

Has there been a MSM link indicating JS got a lawyer?
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 2.03.30 PM.png
There are a few that imply it, This one is from court tv

when you listen it doesnt sound like they know for sure actually. They were discussing whether or not she was speaking to law enforcement, saying an Attorney would advise her not to, its a bit misleading in the description.
regardless , my point was not whether or not she has an attorney or that having one is attributed to a change. Nor does having an attorney imply guilt. She could have one to advise her or to help her make statements. I sure would for my own protection. Point is hasnt she always cooperated? Was there a time when she wasnt cooperating? and the lawyer is the only thng I can think of that would make that difference? who else does she have to help her or advise her?

Last edited:
No, not officially. Per Tricia's post at the upper portion of every thread in this case:

Allowing Madeline Soto's mother to be discussed as a possible suspect.

Because mainstream media reports, including WFTV 9 of Jennifer Soto giving law enforcement information that "does not add up," we will allow Jennifer to be discussed as a possible suspect.
What's interesting to me on this point is that at the March 1 press conference, the sheriff was asked something (unintelligible) and he says: "Yes, we're talking to the mother; yes, she's not considered...so, uh, we're talking to the mother and all this there you know to my knowledge she's not a suspect in this case right now."

At the March 21st press conference, the police were asked, "Chief, is the mother a suspect or a person of interest in this investigation and also with the videos that you uncovered is there any evidence of the mother's involvement on any of these videos?" and she responds "Everyone that was close to Madeline is considered suspect until we have proven otherwise."

Question:when there is a trial, will MS autopsy and cause of death be revealed? I would think it would need to be, at that time? I'm a little unclear as to how long, and to what degree this remains private.
Who knows? I dont know if there will even be murder charges. Everything is so technical now with evidence. There's a lot of injustice going on in this world these days. I just keep my fingers crossed. let's say COD is overdose. ( which I'm not feeling ) to prove whether it was intentional or accidental and if anyone else was involved. what type of drugs, did she have access, supervision? Its more than frustrating

Last edited:
Question:when there is a trial, will MS autopsy and cause of death be revealed? I would think it would need to be, at that time? I'm a little unclear as to how long, and to what degree this remains private.
My uneducated guess is likely not, since FL has a law that autopsies of minors who died from DM cannot be made public. I found some info while looking to see if jurors would be able to see it.

(4)(a) The court, upon a showing of good cause, may issue an order authorizing any person to view or copy an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence or a photograph or video recording of an autopsy or to listen to or copy an audio recording of an autopsy and may prescribe any restrictions or stipulations that the court deems appropriate.

5(b) For an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence, any surviving parent who did not commit the act of domestic violence which led to the minor’s death must be given reasonable notice of a petition filed with the court to view or copy the autopsy report, a copy of such petition, and reasonable notice of the opportunity to be present and heard at any hearing on the matter.

(7) A criminal or administrative proceeding is exempt from this section but is subject to all other provisions of chapter 119 unless otherwise exempted. This section does not prohibit a court in a criminal or administrative proceeding upon good cause shown from restricting or otherwise controlling the disclosure of an autopsy, crime scene, or similar report, photograph, or video or audio recording in the manner prescribed herein.

One thing I have considered: JS has known mental health issues. IF she was "away" getting help, would LE be there interviewing her? That if if she was in crisis or a danger to herself? Or would they wait until she was more stable and then interview her again?

Just something I have wondered. Clearly we have no idea where JS is since there has been no statement from JS, or as far as I am aware, from her family.
Being interviewed by police in person would be up to her discretion or her attorney if JS or her attorney even bothered to disclose where she’s at and why (I think legally the hospital can’t confirm whether she’s a patient). If her mother is designated as an emergency contact thru whatever hospital she would be at, I believe the mother could also advocate on her behalf if JS says yes or no to visitors. But ultimately I believe the choice would be up to JS. This is from my understanding as someone who has been on a psych hold in FL.

As someone who has been in that situation more than once, I can say that having visitors at the hospital can be an embarrassing experience that calls attention to yourself (obviously unless LE is in plain clothes) so I wouldn’t be sure that JS would be willing to do that…unless she didn’t care what anyone thought and wanted to maintain that she’s being cooperative. It’s possible her lawyer could be with her, but like I said, having anyone visit you in that setting (even your lawyer, for me it was family) can be a bit shame inducing even if you know you shouldn’t feel that way.

I will also say that the more times you’re on a psych hold, the more likely you’re going to be kept there for longer periods of time, or transferred elsewhere to undergo long-term treatment. If you’re not doing well in there, participating in group activities and you have ongoing thoughts of self-harm, the less likely the hospital will release you. I can’t say that I’d be doing very well mentally if I were in her shoes, esp with the scrutiny regarding what role she may have played in aiding SS or obstructing the investigation.

JS seems to have enough support from her family to manage a psych hold situation if this is in fact where she is… so I do hope that if necessary, she’s there and getting the help she needs.

Now let’s say she’s in there for months at a time…can a court compel her to testify? Not sure about that.

The jury would need to know and see photos so I would guess the judge would ultimately decide whether the press would be allowed to video/stream that part of the proceedings. I have seen cases where the autopsy photos have been shown to the courtroom and some where just the jury sees the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo