FL - Mom tweets while son drowns

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmm.. some interesting points on both sides. I don't know enough to form an opinion. No matter what.. she did not deserve to lose this baby. I can't even imagine.

I really dislike moms that act as if they are better than another mother who accidentally lost their child. Is it so important for you (this is dropping at random) to point out all the great things you do with your child and how you would never make this mistake? Congratulations. Do you want a medal? I've had close calls with my kids due to one of my kids running away from me while I was pregnant. It happened in a split second on a subway here in NYC once when I was trying to lug a stroller down the stairs at 7 months pregnant and no one helped me. Usually my son stayed behind me but for some reason he ran down the steps and all the way out to the edge of the subway platform to lean out and look for the train. If a train had been coming he would have been dead. It can suprise you at any time.

As to the twittering, some people really believe in the power of prayer. I can totally see a desperate mother calling out for people to pray for her baby through the internet.

I wish I could thank this a gizillian times!
That's the worst personality trait ever! (No need to rub salt in the wound).
Like the saying goes:

"Experience Is The Biggest Killer Of Theory".

One out of every two drivers I see on the road, are looking at their damn phones, so this mom is not the only "neglectful addict". Not by a long shot. People can be so hypocritical...

If it would make you feel better contact a mod, they are very accommodating when it comes to the title of threads being correct. It makes no difference to me what the title reads - the truth of the matter was a 2 year old child died because he was not being supervised, whether she was tweeting, cleaning a chicken coop, making supper for her family or "powdering her nose".

Does she feel horrible? I'm sure she does - Do I feel bad for her? Of course I do. But in truth I feel worse for her two sons, the one who died and the one who left the gate open - since it was tweeted or blogged or whatever... that her young son was the last one thru that gate and she didn't know it was left open, that IMO sounds like it was somehow more the responsibility of an 11 year old and sorry, I'm not buying. She was the adult on the property, she knew there was a two year old running around and a pool in the yard. I hope the next child fares better, while mom tweets her life -
BBM. I completely agree. This was a needless, preventable death. Sounds to me like this mother couldn't be bothered to get off her twitter addiction to watch her child. This was not the case of a teen falling, nor running to the bathroom or answering a phone. Children should NEVER be left unattended near water, nor should it have been the responsibility of another pre-teen child! Mom sounds alot like Lacey Spears and Justin Ross Harris, who immediately after their childrens deaths get online and post about it for the attention it brings them. Her blog was basically a denial of her actions, blaming everyone else for being haters, and about how much better of a person her child was than everyone else- except she forgot to mention herself in that! I put full blame for her son's death on her inattention!!!
And FYI, I began swim lessons when my baby was 6 months old, and we installed a pool gate with a lock before she was born, and she learned how to swim, got on swim team for 7 years, and is now a Certified Lifeguard and Swim Instructor!

If it would make you feel better contact a mod, they are very accommodating when it comes to the title of threads being correct. It makes no difference to me what the title reads - the truth of the matter was a 2 year old child died because he was not being supervised, whether she was tweeting, cleaning a chicken coop, making supper for her family or "powdering her nose".

Does she feel horrible? I'm sure she does - Do I feel bad for her? Of course I do. But in truth I feel worse for her two sons, the one who died and the one who left the gate open - since it was tweeted or blogged or whatever... that her young son was the last one thru that gate and she didn't know it was left open, that IMO sounds like it was somehow more the responsibility of an 11 year old and sorry, I'm not buying. She was the adult on the property, she knew there was a two year old running around and a pool in the yard. I hope the next child fares better, while mom tweets her life -
BBM. I completely agree. This was a needless, preventable death. Sounds to me like this mother couldn't be bothered to get off her twitter addiction to watch her child. This was not the case of a teen falling, nor running to the bathroom or answering a phone. Children should NEVER be left unattended near water, nor should it have been the responsibility of another pre-teen child! Mom sounds alot like Lacey Spears and Justin Ross Harris, who immediately after their childrens deaths get online and post about it for the attention it brings them. Her blog was basically a denial of her actions, blaming everyone else for being haters, and about how much better of a person her child was than everyone else- except she forgot to mention herself in that! I put full blame for her son's death on her inattention!!!
And FYI, I began swim lessons when my baby was 6 months old, and we installed a pool gate with a lock before she was born, and she learned how to swim, got on swim team for 7 years, and is now a Certified Lifeguard and Swim Instructor!

P.S. The thread title is fine, it tells the truth, no more vicious or melodramatic than the situation really was.

P.S. The thread title is fine, it tells the truth, no more vicious or melodramatic than the situation really was.

My kids grew up with an in ground pool in the back yard and they weren't even allowed in the back yard---to play with the dog or anything else-- unless there was an adult with them to supervise even though they became excellent swimmers at an early age. Why? Because there was a pool in the back yard. Even though they could swim, if they slipped and fell in, they could have hit their head on the coping or the stairs on the way in and have been rendered unable to swim. There were no exceptions. No excuse for not keeping an eye on a two year old every single second with a pool in the yard. She didn't do that, nor did she check the gate to make sure it was closed, and now she wants to deflect the blame onto her other child???? She wasn't responsible enough to make sure that gate was closed so how could she expect her child to make sure he closed the gate?? She is the parent----it was her responsibility---and she failed. No need to lay a guilt trip on her other child for the rest of his life for her failure as a parent..

I wish I could thank this a gizillian times!
That's the worst personality trait ever! (No need to rub salt in the wound).
Like the saying goes:

"Experience Is The Biggest Killer Of Theory".

One out of every two drivers I see on the road, are looking at their damn phones, so this mom is not the only "neglectful addict". Not by a long shot. People can be so hypocritical...

Drivers who are looking at their phones instead of paying attention to their driving are no better than parents who have a pool in their yard and aren't paying attention to their two year old. No disagreement there.

Drivers who are looking at their phones instead of paying attention to their driving are no better than parents who have a pool in their yard and aren't paying attention to their two year old. No disagreement there.

Right? but I guarantee that a lot of them are right here throwing stones, ( you know who you are), and breaking their arm, patting themselves on the back for their superior parenting.

yep, twas me. my mom wont let me live down to this day not letting my older son have sparklers on the 4th when he was three. sorry. I maybe overprotective but....

JMO
Dont feel bad at all. Those darn things are very dangerous and especially for a really young child. They are the #1 cause of firework injuries according to some articles. Whether touching the red hot steel or having it fall in the grass with the pointy end up and then child falls on it and puts out an eye. Sparklers are very dangerous for young children and can even hurt plenty of adults.

Young children can enjoy them just as much with an adult hand over their hand waving it around.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/m...ank-no-1-cause-injuries-fireworks-report-says

People on the phones when driving (including me sometimes although I honestly really try to minimize using a phone when driving) scares the crud out of me.

I think back to drivers ed class in high school many years ago. One of the things that stuck with me is paying attention to the road above all else. We had simulators in my drivers ed class and they were actually really good at showing how quick things change on the road. Whether it is a bicyclist darting out in front of your car or another car doing something you dont expect the bottom line is things change FAST. And we need to be alert and ready and expect those changes.

Cell Phones are a new thing relatively as I didnt have to deal with them during my teen driving years. They really scare me now to see all the people behind the wheel with them. Our peripheal vision is amazing in that we sometimes can actually drive and also look down at the phone at the same time relying on peripheal vision. But darn it .......it is not worth it and way too risky. If not for ourselves, let us please avoid doing it for the safety of others.

Sorry to preach but I have lived through before and after cell phones and it is mind boggling that state laws did not immediately prevent them from being used right away. States are finally getting on the bandwagon but the laws are not aggressive enough. IMO all cell phone use while driving should be illegal and a high dollar fine should be in order. We can always pull over and call someone back if we really need to talk to someone.

A true emergency where you have to be on the phone while driving is very much an exception. Its safe to say that 99.99% of all calls while driving are not true emergency situations where the person needed to be on that phone.
I am praying for the day when all states have aggressive laws and fines for using a phone in any capacity while driving a 2 ton machine where other family members are on the road right along with them.

(myself included as I am writing this I can even do better).

One thing I often do is when someone calls me when driving and the traffic gets congested and scary I will literally drop my phone in the passenger seat and just ignore the other person or if I have time I will quickly say traffic is getting bad and gotta go and hang up. I do that often. I would do better not to be on the phone in the first place and just let it hit voice mail if driving.

Again. Sorry to preach about this but its a subject that I feel strongly about.

If anyone saw Michael Phelps last night on the Tonight Show, he talked about his new foundation to prevent accidental swimming deaths. Its good to see him trying to help prevent accidents.

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelPhelpsFoundation/

Wow! He's the perfect spokesperson for teaching your child how to swim. My admiration for him just went way up!!!
Yea Michael for using your fame for a good cause. (Take note Ryan Lochte!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back