FL - Mother shoots daughter, mistaking her for intruder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reduce risk of threat, warning.

Warning shots aren't legal. You could get years in prison for "warning shots." Either you believe there is a threat or you don't. If you don't, you aren't supposed to shoot.

First responder wasn't told anything about shot being fired. First responder showed up at the scene being told it's someone with heart issues. He wouldn't be expecting to see a gunshot wound. Whereas mother knew she fired a gun. And step-father was right there in the bedroom so how did he not know? He claims he was sleeping but I still find it hard to believe he didn't know.

A first responder should be able to identify the type of wound, no? The fact that he got fooled shows that it was a wound that did not scream bullet hole.

A first responder should be able to identify the type of wound, no? The fact that he got fooled shows that it was a wound that did not scream bullet hole.

Wound doesn't scream anything. Sometimes a type of wound can be only determined during an autopsy.

Warning shots are legal in Florida. It is covered under the stand your ground law.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...arning-shots-marissa-alexander_n_5519168.html

So FL changed it recently to make it legal. However in this case the mother never claimed she fired a warning shot. By her own story she fired at the person who was coming in her direction. Some posters seem to be widely speculating not even based on something this mother or the step-father claimed.

Presumably she intended to kill whoever it was in her home (whom she apparently believed to be an intruder), so police shouldn't be calling it an "accidental" shooting. Since it happened in FL, I see charges as very unlikely. However I still have many questions about the case.
Daughter came home late at night -did she not tell mother she was coming back home?
Was the daughter shot in the master bedroom or outside?
Why did the mother shoot at someone without knowing who that was? Why didn't she ask who it was before shooting?
Why didn't mother wake up her husband (a cop) before shooting, if she believed intruder was in the home? Vast majority of women would wake up their husband if they believed an intruder was in the home (especially if that husband is a cop). At least we are let to believe the husband slept through the whole thing and didn't realize daughter was shot.
Why didn't mother tell dispatcher daughter was shot?

You have valid questions. I have my own questions. I am not throwing in the towel here. I do believe we need answers.

As a Floridan, I fully understand your distrust in anything being done. I live here. I get it. I think if anyone knows, it would be a Floridian. We're sick of it too.

I just need more information.

I agree from MSM the mother did not claim she was firing a warning shot. It was also stated that warning shots are illegal. I posted the link only to show that they are legal in Florida.
There is a lot of speculation here both ways. He heard the gunshot, he saw the gun. They husband and wife discussed the shooting before first responders got there. They didn't talk about it. It's a cover up. It's not a cover up. It's all speculation of what each person believes to be true.
I believe that the mother did not intentionally shoot her daughter and there is not a cover up. I do respect the opinion of others that are in the belief that it was intentional and a cover up. There are some very valid points brought up about things seeming off, but I can also look at the other side of the coin and see explanations for them. That's my opinion only.

Is there any reason to think the mother wanted to murder her daughter? Unless there is, I'm inclined to think it was a tragic accident.

I won't hazard a guess as to why a parent might want to shoot an adult child. But when I first read this thread and the links, something seemed off to me, also.

Supposedly he was sleeping when the shooting happened. So I don't see him as a witness. He didn't know about it during the 911 call and til the police and ambulance got there. I took witness as someone who saw the shooting. I might also of understood it wrong.

A witness doesn't have to be an eye witness.

Warning shots are legal in Florida. It is covered under the stand your ground law.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...arning-shots-marissa-alexander_n_5519168.html

That's what HuffPo article stated, but not under all circumstances. Maybe FL law itself would help us discuss whether new-ish law allows Mom, if arrested for dau's death to claim self defense or stand your ground.

* FL Criminal Code XLVI (bbm)
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html
776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

(2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened; or
(c) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force is engaged in a criminal activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further a criminal activity; or
(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.

(3) A person who is attacked in his or her dwelling, residence, or vehicle has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use force, including deadly force, if he or she uses or threatens to use force in accordance with s. 776.012(1) or (2) or s. 776.031(1) or (2).

(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.

(5) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
(b) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(c) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
History.—s. 1, ch. 2005-27; s. 4, ch. 2014-195.

A witness doesn't have to be an eye witness.

Even if some neighbor heard a shot, that wouldn't prove anything. What we know is that there were 3 people in that house. Step father claims that he was sleeping, daughter is dead. So that leaves the mother as the only one who actually knows what happened.

Is there any reason to think the mother wanted to murder her daughter? Unless there is, I'm inclined to think it was a tragic accident.

There doesn't seem to be a motive. Even the friend of the daughter and mother who is posting here has said how close they were. Without a motive for wanting her daughter dead, I doubt her death was anything BUT accidental, IMO. I do wonder if the bullet may have hit the pacemaker first.

Even if some neighbor heard a shot, that wouldn't prove anything. What we know is that there were 3 people in that house. Step father claims that he was sleeping, daughter is dead. So that leaves the mother as the only one who actually knows what happened.

The first responders, medics, and LE were all witnesses to the scene and from what they saw, it matches what the mother said happened. IMO

The first responders, medics, and LE were all witnesses to the scene and from what they saw, it matches what the mother said happened. IMO

What happened is that mother shot and killed her daughter (allegedly thinking that daughter was an intruder). If daughter was living in that house with them (which is what it appears right now) then that daughter had a right to be in that house. I don't understand how somebody can shoot another person who has a right to be in the house and not be charged with anything (even negligent homicide).

There doesn't seem to be a motive. Even the friend of the daughter and mother who is posting here has said how close they were. Without a motive for wanting her daughter dead, I doubt her death was anything BUT accidental, IMO. I do wonder if the bullet may have hit the pacemaker first.

It's not accidental if you deliberately shoot someone (you just shoot the wrong person). I don't understand how it can be called accidental. Daughter had a right to be in the house. As for bullet hitting the pacemaker, that in itself wouldn't cause the death.
Pacemakers are put in people that have arrhythmias. They don't beat instead of the heart, they help to control heart rhythm. If only pacemaker was hit, daughter could have survived without the pacemaker until a new one was put in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back