FL - Multiple Fatalities at Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament, Jacksonville, 26 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Spoiled Brat + Sore Loser = Violent Tantrum [My opinion Moderator]
I thought that was well under stood by all [Also my opinion Moderator]
Feel free to delete this one as well [Again my opinion Moderator]

Always was very quiet and very serious when he played, never took too kind to trash talking. He was good enough to win a regional tournament in 2017, but imo was kind of an outcast in the professional madden gaming world bc of his lack of social skills. I personally think he was just a ticking time bomb. MOO

I'm guessing we're going to be hearing about him having autism or asbergers.

I did not write the articles. But I did mention the links to generate thought on gaming as a career and is it really ideal for that many teens and twenty-somethings to aim for.

Indeed, especially as there is now a suspicion that the tendency to addiction could be at least partly genetic.

I am saddened by the hatred towards the killer and the assumption that he is some sort of spoiled brat. This is probably because of my own personal path. He is likely pale because of his lack of outdoor activities, his eyes are void of emotion, his actions are callous and unemotional, and if you are aware of the struggle in finding mental health treatment .........it is nothing when compared to finding help or treatment for a child/adult with a personality disorder.

Gaming is not to blame, TV isn't to blame, violent movies aren't to blame, dungeons and dragons aren't to blame.

I just realised that I come across as angry and I'm not, I am fearful. I may take my story downstairs someday and share the struggle of raising a fledgling psychopath.

We need a secure mental health unit - not for after a crime is committed, but to help try to prevent it.

Firstly, an armchair diagnosis is BS. We don't know that, and it is unfair to make such an allegation even if it merely your opinion.

Secondly, the term is "Aspergers". No "b" in the word. But actually it is properly called "Autism Spectrum Disorder". Not all on the spectrum are violent, in fact, we usually tend to avoid confrontations. What these alleged "Aspergers" folks that allegedly commit these shootings have in common are a poor mental health support system, easy access to firearms, and no framework for these shooters to be found and dealt with prior to the crime. Plenty of non-spectrum folks commit similar crimes every day.

Another factoid for you anti-gamers: Gamers come in all ages, genders, walks of life. Most of us are not "addicted" to gaming. Gaming is, for most of us, a perfectly enjoyable and healthy hobby. No one I know in my international gaming community has been violent. Most of us don't even own weapons of any sort.

I am 51, retired, mother to a grown son, have travelled around the world, have lived for extended periods of time in two countries. I cook, clean house and do all the normal things other people do. I have many hobbies, including collecting degrees and cross-stitch. I am also an avid gamer and have been since childhood (starting with D&D, which I play to this day), then I moved on to video games as they became available. I do not consider my gaming to be "addictive" or negative in any way. It's social and it's fun, and it is no way a waste of my time or money.

My point? Neither being on the Autism Spectrum nor being a gamer has caused me to be violent, or commit any crime.

People pointing towards the venue of this shooting as proof that gamers are violent or "need to get a life" are misguided and very narrow-minded. Today it happened to be another young man who decided to take out his aggression on a certain area of annoyance (in his mind). If that makes gamers "bad" and gaming contests are wrong-- as this occurred at a gaming tourny-- then the same knee-jerk reaction needs to be enforced (by the same "logic"- using the term loosely) by shutting down places of worship, shopping malls and country western concerts.

It's early on in the investigation. Why not let it play out? And for goodness sake people, let's all think before we type. Don't label an entire group of people that you don't even know. Let's watch and see and comment on facts, not insult others.

Last edited:
Its a shame that gun culture in America means that these kind of incidents keep happening.

Millions of people get angry at losing but thankfully in civilised countries guns are not accessible and stuff like this doesn’t happen.

Firstly, an armchair diagnosis is BS. We don't know that, and it is unfair to make such an allegation even if it merely your opinion.

Yes, it's my opinion, based on what we've seen in a number of other similar cases. However you seem to have focused in on my post but not those of others who mention how like Adam Lanza David Katz's demeanour, expression and behaviour are. Why?

Secondly, the term is "Aspergers". No "b" in the word. But actually it is properly called "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

A typo.

Not all on the spectrum are violent, in fact, we usually tend to avoid confrontations. What these alleged "Aspergers" folks that allegedly commit these shootings have in common are a poor mental health support system, easy access to firearms, and no framework for these shooters to be found and dealt with prior to the crime. Plenty of non-spectrum folks commit similar crimes every day.

No, not all are violent by any means, but one thing I'm aware of is that the meltdown that's managable in a toddler or young child frequently becomes completely unmanagable in a teenager or young adult, to the extent that both parents and other siblings can end up terrified and injured.

I agree that poor access to mental health support can be an issue for many people with autism, but that doesn't seem likely in this case. Katz's parents are both reported to be extremely well educated and to be employed in fields that strongly suggest that they, and he, would have access to very good health care.

There's more I could, and want, to say on this point but I doubt it could be said without it being taken the wrong way.

Another factoid for you anti-gamers: Gamers come in all ages, genders, walks of life. Most of us are not "addicted" to gaming. Gaming is, for most of us, a perfectly enjoyable and healthy hobby. No one I know in my international gaming community has been violent. Most of us don't even own weapons of any sort.

I am not "anti gaming". Personally I don't see the attraction of it but each to their own and all that.

I have no idea how many gamers are addicted to it, but it is very clear that some of them are. Like anything which can be addictive, it will inevitably attract some who are attracted to addictive things. It's the same for booze and gambling. Most people can have the odd flutter, but some become seriously problem gamblers. etc. It has long puzzled psychologists why some people who apparently overcome one addiction are much more likely to develop another - why someone who gives up smoking might end up drinking for example. The role of genetics is being seriously looked at to explain this. If there are genes that predispose individuals (and by definition families) to certain issues, it's probably a good reason to discourage those individuals from becoming involved with those issues.

My point? Neither being on the Autism Spectrum nor being a gamer has caused me to be violent, or commit any crime.

I haven't suggested it has, but we are increasingly seeing cases where autism is a factor in a violent outburst that costs lives. This needs to be explored and understood, not denied and swept under the carpet.

hummm

cnn

cops are refusing to say if he lived in jax or up north???

and by refusing i mean saying they will not say @@

not like under investigation

that kinda is better -- his eyes on the road from up north is kinda scary to be honest

watching a game is how cnn worded it

are there more than one game going on there at a time

creepy really creepy witness said he saw a laser

can you imagine if that becomes the new fad and your sitting in a movie theatre

anyone know time from first shot to suicide

images

TheLanding hosts more than 600 events each year includingFlorida/Georgia ... Happy Landing Liquor Store and Bar is the only liquor store downtown!

told ya all i did not care for jax ha!!

waterfront dining

waterfront dining

it has a lot of events --see below

ust in rampage mode' inside pizza restaurant

https://www.jacksonvillelanding.com/events/

I’m betting Katz comes from big money in Baltimore!!!

I really don't know how or when this type of stuff will stop. For me personally, the true culprit is not guns (although I am 100% for stricter gun laws because they DO contribute to this!), but it is the state of our mental healthcare system - not only in America, but throughout the world. Until we can find better methods of therapy and diagnosing, these problems will continue to persist.

but it is the state of our mental healthcare system -

I don't think any system can address the scale of mental and physical health problems that are how being thrown at the health services. Not in the US and not anywhere else. Sooner or later we will have to face up to that or risk bankrupting our economies and societies chasing the impossible.

I'm glad the two deceased victims have finally been named by MSM, although not by LE. The community has known almost from the start who they were. I went to their twitters and got pretty upset when I saw Spotme's pictures of his young son. So sad. Such a waste. I wanted to talk about how Spotme was a 27-year-old married family man and a professional gamer yesterday, when some people seemed to think that professional gamers are only teens and those in their early 20s. But they hadn't been named at that point. Trueboy was the young black man seen in the now infamous and very upsetting video - his name is on the screen when it cuts back to the game. He was 21 and had so much ahead of him in life... both at Madden and elsewhere.

Imo, this shooting is closer to a workplace shooting than 'some spoilt brat'. Katz won the whole competition last year, and the big prize money. It seems like he considers this his job. So when he was eliminated yesterday, in the early stages (this event was prelims for a much larger event) it probably felt similar to someone who thinks they're a great worker being passed up for promotion. He probably felt like he'd worked very hard and gotten nowhere, maybe losing against people he's won against in the past. No sympathy for him. You're allowed to feel upset about that kind of thing. Taking away innocent lives is unacceptable. At least two players were also hit in the hand and thumb. They might never play again, so he's taken away their livelihoods too.

I'm glad the two deceased victims have finally been named by MSM, although not by LE. The community has known almost from the start who they were. I went to their twitters and got pretty upset when I saw Spotme's pictures of his young son. So sad. Such a waste. I wanted to talk about how Spotme was a 27-year-old married family man and a professional gamer yesterday, when some people seemed to think that professional gamers are only teens and those in their early 20s. But they hadn't been named at that point. Trueboy was the young black man seen in the now infamous and very upsetting video - his name is on the screen when it cuts back to the game. He was 21 and had so much ahead of him in life... both at Madden and elsewhere.

Imo, this shooting is closer to a workplace shooting than 'some spoilt brat'. Katz won the whole competition last year, and the big prize money. It seems like he considers this his job. So when he was eliminated yesterday, in the early stages (this event was prelims for a much larger event) it probably felt similar to someone who thinks they're a great worker being passed up for promotion. He probably felt like he'd worked very hard and gotten nowhere, maybe losing against people he's won against in the past. No sympathy for him. You're allowed to feel upset about that kind of thing. Taking away innocent lives is unacceptable. At least two players were also hit in the hand and thumb. They might never play again, so he's taken away their livelihoods too.

Which is why guns should not be allowed period

I really don't know how or when this type of stuff will stop. For me personally, the true culprit is not guns (although I am 100% for stricter gun laws because they DO contribute to this!), but it is the state of our mental healthcare system - not only in America, but throughout the world. Until we can find better methods of therapy and diagnosing, these problems will continue to persist.

your name is hysterical and am thrilled you did not chose another color for your avatar!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES
Back