FL FL - Nancy Meither, 66, Panama City Beach, 28 September 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is just not adding up. Official sunset in Panama City is 6:27. So they sat out in the dark for 3 and a half hours after it got dark, it's down in the low 70's at that point and she's only wearing a swimsuit, wherein the husband goes back to the condo and goes to sleep without ensuring she is back safely? That makes no sense. Search continues in Panama City Beach for missing woman - News - Panama City News Herald - Panama City, FL. I understand the family holding out hopes but 66-year-old women are seldom kidnapped. The average kidnapping victim is female age 12-17. Yes, older women are sometimes carjacked, but kidnapped off a beach with no valuables on her person? Highly doubtful. I'm guessing if alcohol was not a factor she got caught by a sneaker wave. Spending summers on the Oregon coast as a kid we were taught to never turn out back on the ocean and NOT to approach it after dark as it's easy for a rogue wave to take you offshore.

Um.... I totally disagree with this. First of all, Panama City is warm enough at night (I live in Florida) to stay on the beach in a bathing suit all night long. Second....have you SEEN the waves in Panama City vs. the Oregon Coast? I grew up on west coast beaches.....BIG HUGE difference in wave size. No "sneaker wave" is gonna getcha in Panama City.....unless it has 2 hands and a weapon. Also, she may have been wearing jewelry .... better than leaving it in the room. Robbery gone bad maybe? <modsnip - personalizing >

Last edited by a moderator:
Um.... I totally disagree with this. First of all, Panama City is warm enough at night (I live in Florida) to stay on the beach in a bathing suit all night long. Second....have you SEEN the waves in Panama City vs. the Oregon Coast? I grew up on west coast beaches.....BIG HUGE difference in wave size. No "sneaker wave" is gonna getcha in Panama City.....unless it has 2 hands and a weapon. Also, she may have been wearing jewelry .... better than leaving it in the room. Robbery gone bad maybe? <modsnip - personalizing >
I went by the weather service "low" for that night. It was 69. In wet clothing with wind that is cool. I also reviewed NOAA data for fatalities in Panama City, 7 so far this year from rip currents. In Oregon you often get sneaker waves when rip currents are active. I didn't know Florida was different. I think we both agree that we hope she is found alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just in PCB at the end of July with friends on vacation from Kansas. We stayed at a condo less than 15 minutes from where Nancy was staying. When we went in July, we had two out of six days of red flags — no swimming since the rip currents were so strong. Those waves are no joke, even on yellow flag days.
At night, people walk up and down the beach all hours (a few of my friends and I went on a midnight stroll), mostly to catch crabs.
But I couldn’t imagine staying out alone after dark in the water.

Whatever happened, we need to remember the investigation is still ongoing. PCBPD doesn’t suspect foul play right now, and Nancy’s husband is cooperating with law enforcement. This very much could turn out to be a tragic accident.

As time passes with no sign of her, this becomes more and more worrisome for an accidental drowning, and authorities are focusing on searching the water. The most recent news articles say that she was seen out in the water around sunset, not at 9-10 pm as I had originally understood.
Police: Northern Kentucky Woman Disappears At Panama City Beach

As time passes with no sign of her, this becomes more and more worrisome for an accidental drowning, and authorities are focusing on searching the water. The most recent news articles say that she was seen out in the water around sunset, not at 9-10 pm as I had originally understood.
Police: Northern Kentucky Woman Disappears At Panama City Beach

Thanks.
This article says 10 pm. It is puzzling. Was it 6 pm or 10 pm? I just hope they find her and she is ok.

Even more ridiculous, I live here and very, very little - if anything - on the local news about this. Rather than making it a big story (which it is!) and telling all here to be on the lookout for this woman....almost zero coverage!...Just Google it and look at the latest time listed for a headline on the news here (or elsewhere)!....and all I hear is that "PCB doesn't want to do anything to mess up the tourism"....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??....Turned local news on on Sunday morn LAST week (two days after this happened) and the top stories at the top of the hour were the bluegrass festival and the fair coming thru town....UNBELIEVABLE!!....Any reliable news source with some great inquiring reporters should be ALL over this story!!

My heart goes out to her family. I hope the investigation is thorough and the disappearance solved. I live a few miles away from the condo they were staying. Oddly, there are only one bedroom units (and a sleeper sofa) at that condominium resort of 199 units according to their website. It is situated in one of the more congested sections of PCB. I think it is key to determining the last seen time, 6 or 10 pm. As a frequent balcony stargazer over the beautiful gulf, it is rare that I see swimmers in the water chest high at 10 pm around here, even more rare, a single individual. Our complex has bathroom facilities poolside, very near the beach. Why would someone be in the water at 10 pm? Walking on the beach at 10 pm is not unusual, again usually a few stragglers, nothing like the number before dark. Rip tides and currents haven’t been extremely strong lately, so the thought of a natural medical tragedy crosses my mind. Prayers for her family.

Even more ridiculous, I live here and very, very little - if anything - on the local news about this. Rather than making it a big story (which it is!) and telling all here to be on the lookout for this woman....almost zero coverage!...Just Google it and look at the latest time listed for a headline on the news here (or elsewhere)!....and all I hear is that "PCB doesn't want to do anything to mess up the tourism"....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??....Turned local news on on Sunday morn LAST week (two days after this happened) and the top stories at the top of the hour were the bluegrass festival and the fair coming thru town....UNBELIEVABLE!!....Any reliable news source with some great inquiring reporters should be ALL over this story!!

Agree, other than a day or so after the disappearance I have not heard or read anything locally. Living here, I notice disappearances get reported once in media, but hardly ever any follow up in media.

I went by the weather service "low" for that night. It was 69. In wet clothing with wind that is cool. I also reviewed NOAA data for fatalities in Panama City, 7 so far this year from rip currents. In Oregon you often get sneaker waves when rip currents are active. I didn't know Florida was different. I think we both agree that we hope she is found alive.
There is no cool weather in PCB at night since early Spring. With humidity, and no breeze, it’s quite balmy. A little breeze can make a difference, but I don’t know if there was any on the night in question.

Hot flashes might drive someone to get into the water to cool off. She’s 66, so that might be a possibility. There are also medications that cause hot flashes, tamoxifen for one.

I still don't understand how a 66 year old woman who was on the beach enjoying a sunset at 6:00pm would still be in her bathing suit at 10:00pm but this time in the water.

The gulf isn't the Atlantic with larger waves and an undertow. I just don't see how the family concluded that she was taken out to sea that way.

Is there a strong undertow and/or ripcurrents between 6:00pm and 10:00pm in the Gulf? My familiarity with the Gulf pertains to the Fort Myers/Naples area were waves are under a foot high and very little undertow.

Interesting - the NAMUS info linked above said they were seen in the water a bit after 6 pm NOT 10 PM and the husband left around then, still enough light for witnesses. However, didn't he get suspicious when in the hours between then and sleep his wife didn't return?
THIS ^^^^

If she is in the ocean, there is no telling how that is going to play out. Hurricane Michael is coming and Panama City is under mandatory evacuation as of this morning.

marking to follow. Holding my thoughts for now, but the facts as reported have me thinking the family knows more. (I know, I know, of course the family knows more...)

I must say I agree... I am just waiting and watching for now, also!

I'll join you both on thinking that the family knows more and I don't believe this was an accidental drowning, if that's what they are concluding.

Maybe her husband is a scientist and he created the hurricane to destroy evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattvaspa895
Back