FL - Nubia Barahona, 10, slain, twin injured, West Palm Beach, 11 Feb 2011 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MIAMI — Jorge Barahona was given to paranoia and fears of conspiracies around him that he expressed to a neighbor, according to investigative materials released this week by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s office, fears that may have led him to murder his adopted daughter and almost kill her brother, Victor.

James Sheppard, 49, who lived next to Barahona and his wife, Carmen, for years before they were arrested and charged with murder in February, said the couple mainly kept to themselves, but that he did have occasional conversations with Jorge from yard to yard.

“He was always talking about conspiracy, about people breaking in, or keeping your gates locked,” Sheppard said according transcripts of his interview with investigators. “He was really paranoid, super paranoid.”

(snip)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...or-says-jorge-barahona-was-super-2022168.html

New article.

The details coming out of this are more than horiffic.

Harrowing details emerge in Barahona case
Dead girl's twin brother tells caregiver of starvation, torture

By David Ovalle, The Miami Herald

11:26 p.m. EST, February 6, 2012
When he and his twin sister were bound by the wrists and ankles in the bathtub of their West Miami-Dade house, Victor Barahona's adopted father doused them with ice water or bleach.

A few times, Jorge Barahona wrapped a plastic bag around the 10-year-old boy's head, then choked him until he nearly passed out.

Another time, the elder Barahona glued the boy's eyes shut, and once made him eat a cockroach

***more at link***

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...m_medium=twitter&track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it

I hate to sound medieval but in cases like these I would like to sentence these monsters to the exact punishment they so easily meted out to their helpless victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to sound medieval but in cases like these I would like to sentence these monsters to the exact punishment they so easily meted out to their helpless victims.

Nah, a thirty cent bullet or a two dollar injection would do the trick. We put rabid dogs down now don't we?

I hear ya, Wise one, but some things are worth a few extra bucks for clorox, duct tape, acid, etc. I'll write a check. Bullets are a little too humane.......

There is one thing to take into consideration in this case. I do believe (even though its JMHO) that there will be NO PLEA DEAL for either of these two. This case is cut and dry, tied up neatly and topped with a huge bow. There is no need to plea out these.....these......beings. They will both go to death row. No LWOP for them. No reason to. Everyone down here wants both of them on Death Row and that will happen some time this year.

There is one thing to take into consideration in this case. I do believe (even though its JMHO) that there will be NO PLEA DEAL for either of these two. This case is cut and dry, tied up neatly and topped with a huge bow. There is no need to plea out these.....these......beings. They will both go to death row. No LWOP for them. No reason to. Everyone down here wants both of them on Death Row and that will happen some time this year.

ITA. I know FL gets criticized for all manner of things and rightfully so, but they do still hand down the DP. And I used to be a vehement opponent......until I saw the evil that people visit upon one another, especially the defenseless.

I read that the trial was starting this week but have not seen anything in the paper? I would like to attend at least one day if work permits......Justice for Nubia and Victor!!!

Bill inspired by Barahona tragedy gets OK from Florida House

TALLAHASSEE — Legislation aimed at fixing the failings of Florida's child protection system, exposed in tragic light by last year's death of 11-year-old Nubia Barahona, cleared the House Thursday, 119-0.

But critics accused the state's Department of Children and Families of badly handling earlier allegations of abuse against the parents.

DCF responded to the tragedy by promoting a measure (HB 803) by Rep. Jose Diaz, R-Miami, that includes new training programs for abuse hotline workers, establishes a networked database for tracking abuse reports, and salary increases for child investigators.

Senate Health and Human Services budget chairman Joe Negron, R-Stuart, said lawmakers are working toward adding $17.8 million toward DCF case workers, a move that could increase their salaries by $4,000 each.

More at link:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/bill-inspired-by-barahona-tragedy-gets-ok-from-2180859.html

There is no doubt in my mind that most child investigators work really hard, most try their best to protect the children and most deserve this raise, but it bothers me that the increase is attached to a bill that was necessitated by the failure of several DCF employees!

A year after Nubia Barahona's gruesome death, child advocates wonder if changes are working

MIAMI — After Nubia Barahona's decomposing body was found inside her father's pickup in West Palm Beach a year ago Tuesday, many began to assess and reassess how the state's child welfare system failed the pretty 10-year-old girl with a caring heart.

Paul Neumann was one of those people.

The guardian ad litem assigned by the court to watch over Nubia and her twin brother, Victor, when they were foster children, Neumann said he still gets tears in his eyes when he thinks about what happened to them while they lived with Jorge and Carmen Barahona.

"It was such a tragedy and it didn't have to happen," said Neumann, who for months tried to ensure the Barahona twins were safe with Carmen and Jorge before they were adopted by the couple, but was at times prohibited from even entering the family's home.

And he wonders whether there have been any effective changes that would prevent something similar from happening again.

"I personally don't see anything different," Neumann said. "Maybe there are changes behind the scenes. Maybe they are just taking time to take hold."

more at link:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/a-year-after-nubia-barahonas-gruesome-death-child-2176338.html

Bill inspired by Barahona tragedy gets OK from Florida House

TALLAHASSEE — Legislation aimed at fixing the failings of Florida's child protection system, exposed in tragic light by last year's death of 11-year-old Nubia Barahona, cleared the House Thursday, 119-0.

But critics accused the state's Department of Children and Families of badly handling earlier allegations of abuse against the parents.

DCF responded to the tragedy by promoting a measure (HB 803) by Rep. Jose Diaz, R-Miami, that includes new training programs for abuse hotline workers, establishes a networked database for tracking abuse reports, and salary increases for child investigators.
az
Senate Health and Human Services budget chairman Joe Negron, R-Stuart, said lawmakers are working toward adding $17.8 million toward DCF case workers, a move that could increase their salaries by $4,000 each.

More at link:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/bill-inspired-by-barahona-tragedy-gets-ok-from-2180859.html

There is no doubt in my mind that most child investigators work really hard, most try their best to protect the children and most deserve this raise, but it bothers me that the increase is attached to a bill that was necessitated by the failure of several DCF employees!

Throw more money at them. Like they can buy common sense.

Nubia: the life, death of an abused child
By Diana Moskovitz

Before falling victim to unspeakable cruelty, she had a winning smile but an ominous dream.

After all the torment and torture, Nubia Barahona could still flash a smile. It was radiant and confident, set off by blond bangs and big hazel eyes. She smiled like a girl with her whole life ahead of her.

It showed no trace of her personal hell.

She was born to a drug-abusing former prostitute, removed from the home after her father was accused of improperly touching another child, then sent by the state’s child protection agency to live with a couple who, police say, bound and tortured both her and her twin brother, Victor.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/18/2649333/the-life-of-a-child.html#storylink=cpy

Mods, do you think we could change the name of this thread from "plastic container" to "Nubia and Victor Doctor"? I just hate that after what they suffered in life, they don't even have a thread about their case with their names in the title. Pretty please?

Bumping for Nubia and Victor. Praying for some measure of justice.

Oh thank you, thank you, mods, for giving Nubia's name to this thread.

Mods, do you think we could change the name of this thread from "plastic container" to "Nubia and Victor Doctor"? I just hate that after what they suffered in life, they don't even have a thread about their case with their names in the title. Pretty please?

Thank you for asking to have to have this changed.

It's been way too long for her killers to show up in a court of law.
What's going on?
I am so angry about what happened to Nubia. I wish with all of my heart that, I could have rescued her from these abusers.

I will remember you Nubia. I hope that our courts, will do right by you and your twin brother.

Humungous, Sad Sigh, for these, thrown away children.

Nubia: the life, death of an abused child
By Diana Moskovitz

Before falling victim to unspeakable cruelty, she had a winning smile but an ominous dream.

After all the torment and torture, Nubia Barahona could still flash a smile. It was radiant and confident, set off by blond bangs and big hazel eyes. She smiled like a girl with her whole life ahead of her.

It showed no trace of her personal hell.

She was born to a drug-abusing former prostitute, removed from the home after her father was accused of improperly touching another child, then sent by the state’s child protection agency to live with a couple who, police say, bound and tortured both her and her twin brother, Victor.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/18/2649333/the-life-of-a-child.html#storylink=cpy

Bumping for Nubia. Hopefully things will get rolling soon.

Does anyone live in Florida that might know when they ever plan to have this trial?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back