Resolved FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the untouched photo that was found at the gas station in OK. Many on the OSBI/woman found in photo thread think it is Tara Calico.

http://www.mcclaincountysheriff.com/mcclain/unideentified.jpg

JMO but I think this young woman is dead. I agree with the other posters on that thread....that is not just dried blood in her hair! (our left, her right).

Hope this helps abit norestforthewicked...

wm

ps. Some of the sleuths on the OSBI thread felt the photo looked as though it was taken in a camper or a 18 wheeler sleeper truck. It was suggested this was a trophy picture from a serial killer. Discussion also included the possibility of this being the work of the I-40 serial killer who has dumped women's bodies along I-40 in MS, AK, OK, & TX. Speculation is that the killer is a trucker. It is on the FBI site. I'll try and find the info for reference. Thanks...

Here's the FBI link....http://www.mcclaincountysheriff.com/mcclain/unideentified.jpg

Here is the untouched photo that was found at the gas station in OK. Many on the OSBI/woman found in photo thread think it is Tara Calico.

http://www.mcclaincountysheriff.com/mcclain/unideentified.jpg

JMO but I think this young woman is dead. I agree with the other posters on that thread....that is not just dried blood in her hair! (our left, her right).

Hope this helps abit norestforthewicked...

wm

ps. Some of the sleuths on the OSBI thread felt the photo looked as though it was taken in a camper or a 18 wheeler sleeper truck. It was suggested this was a trophy picture from a serial killer. Discussion also included the possibility of this being the work of the I-40 serial killer who has dumped women's bodies along I-40 in MS, AK, OK, & TX. Speculation is that the killer is a trucker. It is on the FBI site. I'll try and find the info for reference. Thanks...

Here's the FBI link....http://www.mcclaincountysheriff.com/mcclain/unideentified.jpg

Oh my God...this it absolutely horrific that this case hasn't been solved yet! I never believed it was a hoax from the first time I saw it. As years went by, I heard about it again and never knew that Tara Calico was suspected of being the girl. From reading above, I read that Michael's parents were sure it was him, but that his remains were found later. How in the world can someone not identify their own child. The boy is a bit harder to see, but the girl is so clear. Even her clothing.

And, the photo you posted above WM, forgive me if I sound stupid in this, but do the police believe that this girl and the girl bound are both Tara Calico? I also remember seeing the photo of the woman on the train with big glasses and gauze, but I always thought it was some movie star who didn't want anyone to see her right after she'd had plastic surgery.

This case is just so terrible because it seems like it could be completely solvable. Is there a cold case team working on this today? Does anyone know?

Thanks to everyone who helped me find this story. I've always been fascinated with true crime and this is one of the stories I'd lost track of.

The photo of the deceased-appearing woman, if I remember correctly, was thought to be solved. Does anybody else remember this? I thought it was something to do with Iraq and a soldier? I wish I could find the link to the discussion here on websleuths - it was very long.

OK you guys have me confused. The case of the photo found at the gas station is solved. Isnt this the thread about the UI bound teen and boy???

OK you guys have me confused. The case of the photo found at the gas station is solved. Isnt this the thread about the UI bound teen and boy???

I don't know for sure if the gas station case is solved, as I didn't follow that case, but this thread is for the girl and the boy with the tape over their mouths.

I think the other photo came up in connection with the Tara Calico theory. Other than that, it is OT.

ETA: Yes, it seems the gas station case was solved (just checked the thread) - perhaps we should get the WS case thread title changed to reflect that?

Phew I thought I was losing it. I thought the other case turned out to be a trophy photo from Iraq-God Help Me I hate typing that.

I know that many feel the girl is Tara Calico and the boy is Johnny Gosch. I go back and forth as to whether or not it is staged simply because of the statements of the witnesses who saw the girl walking on the beach...

If you go to this thread---> OSBI Needs Help to Identify Woman Found In Photo -

the last page of the discussion tells where LE thinks the photo came from.

Sorry to drag the subject away. Back to the photo being discussed here...

Phew I thought I was losing it. I thought the other case turned out to be a trophy photo from Iraq-God Help Me I hate typing that.

I know that many feel the girl is Tara Calico and the boy is Johnny Gosch. I go back and forth as to whether or not it is staged simply because of the statements of the witnesses who saw the girl walking on the beach...

Slightly OT, but I find it odd how so much mention of this photo is always, "Girl with taped mouth. Oh, and a boy is there, too."

One almost always sees a ton more attention paid to the girl than the boy, for some reason.

Agreed, WhyA. It is a terrifying photo, regardless of whether or not it is staged. :(

I just looked at the DoeNetwork listing for the boy again:
a Polaroid photo of this boy, bound and gagged in the back of a van

How do they know it is the back of a van? Are we seeing the complete image then?

I just looked at the DoeNetwork listing for the boy again:
a Polaroid photo of this boy, bound and gagged in the back of a van

How do they know it is the back of a van? Are we seeing the complete image then?

Huh. I guess I can see that. I don't think it is likely the windowless van that was parked where the photo was found, at least, since the photo does seem to show a window. To me, actually, if it was taken in a vehicle, it looks more like a covered truck bed.

I think they should release a complete image if it is not one... :(

The photo of the deceased-appearing woman, if I remember correctly, was thought to be solved. Does anybody else remember this? I thought it was something to do with Iraq and a soldier? I wish I could find the link to the discussion here on websleuths - it was very long.

I vividly remember the case of the woman who was in a photo found outside a gas station in Oklahoma (link below). LE finally said that the photo had been sent by a soldier to his grandfather in Oklahoma, and it had fallen out of the grandfather's truck. It was an Iraqi woman, but we never learned why the soldier would have that photo, and we never learned why he sent it to his grandfather. We also never learned who the woman was, or how she had died. It was a fascinating thread and we searched for pictures of where that robe came from for days on end. One of our WS's noticed that her eyebrows were so well done, that they appeared to be "threaded" which is a Middle Eastern way of shaping the eyebrows. That then led us to decide the robe the woman was wearing was really a Middle Eastern garment called a "throbe". It wasn't too long after this, that we were told the case had been solved. The Oklahome photo had nothing to do with the photo of the bound girl and boy. Hope that helps...

OSBI Needs Help to Identify Woman Found In Photo*update-solved* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Aside from the fact that the girl in the photo looks strikingly like at least one photo I saw of Tara Calico, everything about the photo looks like a prank or “fun” shot taken by kids. As for the resemblance between Ms. Calico and the young woman, there have already been several candidates put forward as to the identity of the boy. At one point, several were convinced he had been one Michael Henley and, I believe I read, even Michael’s mother had been convinced it was him. Since Michael’s remains have been tragically since recovered, the consensus is now that this boy had not been Michael.

This goes to show how people can become convinced that a photo is of someone other than whom it is and how even close family members can be so mistaken; especially grieving mothers (most understandably) clutching at straws.

Firstly, is this the entire photo or has part of it been cut off? The first thing that jumps out at me is that despite the caption of “Bound and gagged children,” there seems to be no evidence whatsoever that either of the subjects are in fact bound. The boy’s hands cannot be seen at all, while it appears that only the fingertips of one of the girl’s hand can be seen protruding out from under her rear. The position of the girl's arms (which can be clearly seen) leads me believe that her hands were not even crossed behind her.

Therefore, if her hands were bound at all, it would seem more likely that she had been handcuffed as opposed to tied (and I even find that unlikely given the logistics of the shot).

The fact that there are objects lying on the bed, including a paperback book, leads me to believe that the picture was taken on an impromptu basis and indicates no struggle. Someone (probably the photographer; probably a relative or friend of the two kids (who might well be brother and sister)) probably saw a roll of duct tape lying around and the bright idea of a phony kidnap shot came to mind. Since the photo was a joke for mere appearances' sake, there was no reason to actually bind the “victims.”

Simply suggesting such was sufficient (and which was apparently effective since so many seem to simply accept the totally unsubstantiated fact that the kids are bound).

Some suggest that the photo might be an authentic abduction shot because of the seemingly genuine look of terror in the boy’s (especially) eyes. I think he was just acting a part that would seem natural in the situation. It’s not all that difficult. (You've been kidnapped; you're terrified.)

If the photo is a genuine shot of two abducted kids, then what was the purpose of the photo and why was it so carelessly discarded? If these kids were abducted for ransom (as opposed to having been abducted by pedophiles), is there any record of the photo being sent to their family (or families)? Is there any record of such a kidnapping at all?

Although I am hardly a fan of the works of the late V. C. Andrews (her works appealed more to women than to men, and it would seem likely that the book in the shot was in the process of being read by the young woman just before the photo was taken), I read the synopsis of this particular book on Wikipedia.

The plot revolves around a girl who never existed, though the main character (another girl) fervently believed she once had. Although this is farfetched, the book might have been intended to be a clue that the suggested kidnapping never occurred as well. Such might pass for “wit” by prankster kids. The squirt gun might be another indication of the prank nature of the scenario. Indeed, the camera is at hand because these kids are vacationers/tourists.

All things considered, I believe the preponderance of the evidence is that this was a prank picture taken by kids vacationing in Florida with their family. They intentionally left it in a public place as their idea of a “joke.” If they later saw it on television (where I first encountered the photo years ago), they either enjoyed a hearty laugh or became fearful of getting into trouble as they never envisioned matters having gotten that far. Thus, they kept silent.

If that photograph is a joke, it's one of the sickest I've ever seen. Also, did another photo similar to this one show up elsewhere a few years later?

If that photograph is a joke, it's one of the sickest I've ever seen. Also, did another photo similar to this one show up elsewhere a few years later?

I don't know. Was there? If so, with the same two young people in it?

As far as being "...one of the sickest jokes...," if I am right in my conjecture, it wouldn't have seemed so to the kids. They just would have thought it a funny prank. This was before internet use became widespread and the kids were probably thinking more along the lines of suggesting a phony kidnapping for ransom rather than an abduction for sexual reasons. If I’m right, I’m certainly not defending them; simply explaining what I think their rationale might have been.

What strikes me about the photo is that the way that their mouths were taped, it was not an effective way to prevent them from opening their mouths and screaming if they wanted to. Jaw muscles are strong enough to pull the lower lip away from the adhesive surface of the tape.

If the objective was to to physically prevent them from making noise, one would need to put cloth or something like it inside the mouth, and hold it in with tape or a cloth strap wrapped entirely around their head.

My feeling is that this was a staged hoax.

Carl:

Add your most astute technical input to my recent observations (#115) and I believe the case that this was a hoax is very strong. All that remains to point to it being a genuine abduction photo is the resemblance of the young woman to Tara Calico. As I pointed out, people in photos have often been misidentified and with over 200 million people (at that time) in the U. S. alone, it is inevitable that many people will resemble other people with whom they share no relation.

The scene is staged. Why would actual kidnappers do such a thing? Everything points to kids on vacation pulling a prank.

I agree and I have never seen a little boy look so terrified in all my life. IMO His eyes are begging for help and the girl's eyes are filled with disgust and rage.
I would be shocked to learn that this photo was staged.

I agree and I have never seen a little boy look so terrified in all my life. IMO His eyes are begging for help and the girl's eyes are filled with disgust and rage.
I would be shocked to learn that this photo was staged.

I think the boy was a better natural actor than had been the girl (my bet, his sister). He’s also holding his hands behind his back in a more convincing manner than her as well.

As for who took the photo, my bet is their brother, probably in-between their ages, a teen, 13-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay